• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Police fires 20 shots at huge shark after deadly attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

koryuken

We also help each other. We share our food, our ideas, our medicine, our homes.

As for the lions and tigers and bears, we own them, too. We train them in circuses and cage them in zoos for our children to point at and laugh.

So get rid of everything that cannot be tamed?

PS.There are wild tigers, lions, and bears that can and will kill just as easily as a shark.

Bombadil

Banned
So get rid of everything that cannot be tamed?

PS.There are wild tigers, lions, and bears that can and will kill just as easily as a shark.

Yes, and the moment they kill a man/woman, they will be hunted down and killed, along with fair number of their kin.

Deeper, bluer, my hand is like a shark's fin. Deeper, bluer, my hand is like a shark's fin. Deeper, bluer, my hand is like a shark's fin. Deeper, bluer, my hand is like a shark's fin. Deeper, bluer, my hand is like a shark's fin. Deeper, bluer, my hand is like a shark's fin. Deeper, bluer, my hand is like a shark's fin. Deeper, bluer, my hand is like a shark's fin. Deeper, bluer, my hand is like a shark's fin. Deeper, bluer, my hand is like a shark's fin. Deeper, bluer, my hand is like a shark's fin.

As someone who watches deep blue sea all the time, this got a good laugh.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Heres a simple chain of events. Apex predator disappears. What ever they were feeding on (common example for sharks is sting rays) suddenly has a massive boom in population because they aren't being controlled. Now, sting rays gotta eat too. Unfortunately, there aren't enough clams, muscles, scallops for all the sting rays to eat to survive very long.

So the rays will eat the shellfish to extinction, which fucks over everything else that eats shellfish. Then the population of sting rays dies off because oh shit, no food. Congrats, you've just destabilized hundreds of years of an established ecosystem.

Well you can define apex as a predator without predators, or in the case of a marine ecosystem they are organisms that sit on a trophic level of at least four. All this means is that as you go up the food chain, it took three organisms to feed the shark in essence. Lets say, coral -> parrotfish -> marlin -> shark.

Protein the gif above is from Far Cry 3.
Ahhh thank you for the explanation.

OK what game is this so I can buy it.

Far Cry 3, but watch out for bears,
ibzws0GwqxmeJa.gif

crocodiles,
iq1M9Lf7fUbPq.gif

komodo dragons, tigers, leopards, and even land birds.

Kallor

Sounds like overkill force to me. Few years ago a cop shot my year old chocolate lab mix (short, chubby) 8-10 times while he was on the run trying to escape. He had escaped my house earlier and managed to return to my old house and got trapped in the back yard and they couldn't capture him then he jumped the fence and booked it, so they drove around shooting him. True story. She (the cop) had blamed the dog for having killed one of her chickens a few weeks earlier, which wasn't possible because the dog never left my sight in that time frame nor was he the attack another animal type. Then her Son rubbed the entire story with all the details in my younger brothers face during school, telling the entire class. (7th grade) What are you gonna do? Small town, a Cop. More recently she lost her Job and might have been going to prison for stealing from her husbands parents and some other embezzlement. Anyway I didn't Want to go off topic or anything Just seeing Cops killing animals always gets me worked up.

Hiltz

Great Whites are just curious monsters. They see a human swimming around and mistake you for a tasty seal. Anyway, this is why I never want to go in ocean, even in a small boat. Jaws ruined it for me.

Bombadil

Banned
take an ecology class... it will help you be less dumb.

I already have. And what I've learned is that organisms have an amazing propensity to adapt to changes in their environment. The ocean is extremely diverse. To remove the shark would lead to negligible rises in the population of one organism and negligible drops in the population of another. No major ripple effects. It is only in environments with a short food chain where the absence of one species can lead to major breakdowns.

Mordeccai

I already have. And what I've learned is that organisms have an amazing propensity to adapt to changes in their environment. The ocean is extremely diverse. To remove the shark would lead to negligible rises in the population of one organism and negligible drops in the population of another. No major ripple effects. It is only in environments with a short food chain where the absence of one species can lead to major breakdowns.

If you took an ecology class, and you seriously believe that removing all sharks from the ocean would literally impact nothing, or impact it negligibly so, then I'm inclined to believe that you got blazed every day before lecture and texted in class while throwing in your own baseless conjectures to fill in the gaps of what you couldn't understand from your professor.

wurstkind

Banned
No, cajunator. Every square inch of this planet, land or ocean, is man's territory. And I'm not trying to be biblical when I say that. I'm just pointing out mankind's dominance in the world. This shark fucked with one man. Guess what's going to happen to him and the next 20 sharks they find.

hahahaha "I am the big white man! I am superior to anyone and anything!"
kids these days...

Bombadil

Banned
If you took an ecology class, and you seriously believe that removing all sharks from the ocean would literally impact nothing, or impact it negligibly so, then I'm inclined to believe that you got blazed every day before lecture and texted in class while throwing in your own baseless conjectures to fill in the gaps of what you couldn't understand from your professor.

My fault, I'm referring to sharks like the Great White. Whale Sharks and leopard sharks, I have no problems with. Great Whites and their aggressive offshoots can disappear for all I care.

Anyway, it seems to me that you are the kind of person who really clings to information you learned in class without getting other perspectives. I've had multiple biology, ecology, geography, and environmental science teachers and professors with different opinions on things.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

That's really interesting. As someone who studies marine science, I'm surprised, I've never heard or encountered this assertion when discussing keystone species. Since keystone species are defined by their disproportionate effect on their environment(s)...

I would love to read the literature that demonstrates removal of a keystone species has "no major ripple effect". That would be fascinating.

ShinNL

You speak the truth. We shall follow your ideals, keyboard warrior.

Bombadil

Banned
That's really interesting. As someone who studies marine science, I'm surprised, I've never heard or encountered this assertion when discussing keystone species. Since keystone species are defined by their disproportionate effect on their environment(s)...

I would love to read the literature that demonstrates removal of a keystone species has "no major ripple effect". That would be fascinating.

I disagree with the assertion that sharks are keystone species.

Jobiensis

If you honestly think that removing an entire order of common predators wouldn't have major impacts on the ocean ecosystem, you didn't pay attention in your classes.

I disagree with the assertion that sharks are keystone species.

All of the hundreds of species combined?

Mordeccai

My fault, I'm referring to sharks like the Great White. Whale Sharks and leopard sharks, I have no problems with. Great Whites and their aggressive offshoots can disappear for all I care.

Anyway, it seems to me that you are the kind of person who really clings to information you learned in class without getting other perspectives. I've had multiple biology, ecology, geography, and environmental science teachers and professors with different opinions on things.

I'm a biology major and both core bio classes were taught by three separate professors for a total of six different instructors along with multiple classes in other life science electives such as ecology, entomology, anthropology and psychology; all of which discuss population dynamics. But I don't really have an interest in dragging this into any sort of argument even if I did come across as hostile earlier which I apologize for.

Bombadil

Banned
Okay so I found this.

The Great White Shark is incredibly important for maintaining the health of marine ecosystems. Because it is a top predator, it plays an important role in hunting out prey that are not as healthy as others, which keep the stocks that it feeds on in a healthier state. If you remove the top predator from the ecosystem, the repercussions can be quite dramatic. In some cases where sharks have declined there has been a wholesale decrease in all the species in the ecosystem. Ecosystems have evolved over millions of years in a very delicate balance, one in which the white shark as an “apex” predator has helped to maintain.

The shark faces a variety of threats. Commercially, it is targeted for its fins, jaws, teeth, liver oil, skin and meat. It is also targeted by recreational sports fishers. In addition, white sharks are also caught accidently by commercial fishing operations and discarded with the other “bycatch.”

Because of its wide range as a large predator, the white shark could serve as an umbrella species for the conservation of many marine species. Protecting the white shark could help protect whole marine ecosystems.

From this. http://www.stopextinction.org/top10/withoutanet/173-great-white-shark.html

I don't think it's as serious as the website claims. But it's not like I'm out there hunting sharks so it doesn't matter what I think.

dark_chris

I just have no pity for them. I look at them, and see nothing redeemable about their existence. If they ceased to exist today, the ocean is diverse and adaptive enough to fill their void with something else - not necessarily something more aggressive.

No, cajunator. Every square inch of this planet, land or ocean, is man's territory. And I'm not trying to be biblical when I say that. I'm just pointing out mankind's dominance in the world. This shark fucked with one man. Guess what's going to happen to him and the next 20 sharks they find.

Yeah Im not gonna try to argue with someone that thinks like this. You're beyond crazy and you have a hint of not being a good person from this thinking.
Yeeaaah...

I have no pity for sharks. If they all went exinct today, I wouldn't be sad at all.

Shark's just doing what sharks do... you don't want to be lunch, don't swim in their pool...

Bombadil said:
Every square inch of this planet, land or ocean, is man's territory. And I'm not trying to be biblical when I say that. I'm just pointing out mankind's dominance in the world. This shark fucked with one man. Guess what's going to happen to him and the next 20 sharks they find.

[edit] I should have read through the whole thread... welcome to the Internet, filled with all kinds of scary shit... you can't rationally debate with ignorance on this scale, but it's nonetheless appalling that it exists in the first place...

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Yeah Im not gonna try to argue with someone that thinks like this. You're beyond crazy and you have a hint of not being a good person from this thinking.
Yeeaaah...

It's kind of funny, when you consider how much of the surface of the Earth is covered by 4000 meters of water (average ocean depth)... a deep black, alien abyss of immense pressure, that we can barely travel to, to say we are masters of this is quite amusing. We don't even know what the hell is down there.

Bombadil

Banned
Yeeaaah...

You know what. I'm going to get banned for this. But because you challenged my character and asserted that I'm not a good person just because of a couple of silly posts I made on the internet, fuck you, sir. Fuck you.

Dre

I have no pity for sharks. If they all went exinct today, I wouldn't be sad at all.

I bet dolphins and whales have the same feelings about humans.

I know that animals don't have the same deductive reasoning as humans.

Raiden

Banned
We also help each other. We share our food, our ideas, our medicine, our homes.

As for the lions and tigers and bears, we own them, too. We train them in circuses and cage them in zoos for our children to point at and laugh.

Good god thank you.

If sharks had nukes they would nuke the shit out of us as well.

But seriously i really cant stand it when people keep shitting on the (their) human race. There is so much more good stuff among the bad. Bad shit just stands out.

BigDes

Good god thank you.

If sharks had nukes they would nuke the shit out of us as well.

But seriously i really cant stand it when people keep shitting on the (their) human race. There is so much more good stuff among the bad. Bad shit just stands out.

Not agreeing wild animals are for our entertainment = shitting on humanity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom