• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Police fires 20 shots at huge shark after deadly attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Shark had every right. Dude comes into my house uninvited while I'm hungry, I'll take a bite or two as well.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
How dare a shark be hungry and try to find food to survive on in its own habitat. Why doesn't it just get a job and buy food at a grocery store like a normal person?

The guy said "we are the worst species"

I was talking about that part.

Really depends on the metrics used to define "worst".

Bombadil seems to be targeting great whites because they are "aggressive". I think mankind would rank "worst" if aggressiveness in attacking other species is the only thing to measure.

Bombadil seems to be targeting great whites because they are "aggressive". I think mankind would rank "worst" if aggressiveness in attacking other species is the only thing to measure.

For a second, I thought you were talking about white people. I was like damn, you went all in.

Vyrance

Not sure why anyone would be against sharks. They get a pretty bad rap. Shark attacks are very rare even with the huge number of people entering the water.

Raiden

Banned

Not going to argue with your scenario but i'm pretty sure the guy i was commenting on was just shitting on humankind. (If you're not sorry brah)

There are billions of us and the only news that people remember is the horrible shit. And i really cant stand it when people go and drag the entire population into the same shitpool of one psychopath. Just an off-topic comment.

Jobiensis

There are billions of us and the only news that people remember is the horrible shit. And i really cant stand it when people go and drag the entire population into the same shitpool of one psychopath. Just an off-topic comment.

To be fair, there are probably a billion sharks, and probably only a handful are alive today that ever killed a person.

Note: I don't completely disagree with the shitting on mankind thing, but will say that there are a bunch of individuals that have opinions that are somewhat depressing.

Raiden

Banned
To be fair, there are probably a billion sharks, and probably only a handful are alive today that ever killed a person.

You really want to compare a fully capable species with guns, nukes and whatnot to a big fish that swims in the ocean with their only weapon being their teeth?

Ofc our bodycount is going to be much higher. I dont even know why i'm trying to make a point.

I dont even

Edit: I actually agree with you people damnit

Didn't the Mythbusters guys prove on one show that firing guns (even really powerful ones) into water is pretty much useless?

I suppose the noise could scare the sharks away though. Either way, I salute the rescue guys taking a small damn boat in the water with multiple sharks and blasting away at them.

Horrible way for that guy to go.

FStop7

Banned
Not going to argue with your scenario but i'm pretty sure the guy i was commenting on was just shitting on humankind. (If you're not sorry brah)

SharkHat.png

Snaku

Banned
Didn't the Mythbusters guys prove on one show that firing guns (even really powerful ones) into water is pretty much useless?

I suppose the noise could scare the sharks away though. Either way, I salute the rescue guys taking a small damn boat in the water with multiple sharks and blasting away at them.

Horrible way for that guy to go.

Yeah, pretty sure I saw that one. The shark is fine.

471 people have been killed by sharks within 500 years.

500 years

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shark_attack#Statistics.

Deer have killed more humans in histroy than sharks, lol

That is just known kills. I'm sure there have been more that we don't know about.

But even adding those, the point still stands. Only a very tiny number of shark attacks occur. Deal with it. It is their domain. Do your best to avoid them and lament the few attacks that do occur.

Agreed.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
No, cajunator. Every square inch of this planet, land or ocean, is man's territory. And I'm not trying to be biblical when I say that. I'm just pointing out mankind's dominance in the world. This shark fucked with one man. Guess what's going to happen to him and the next 20 sharks they find.

hahahaha.

30% of the planet's surface is covered in land. The rest of the surface is water, which we can't inhabit.

And on avearge, the depth of the oceans are ~6 times as much as the height of land. And the ratio of sea to land on a 2D cross section is 7:3

In other words... there is 504x as much sea volume as there is land volume. But since we're comparing a liquid to a solid, only the surface of the land is "inhabitable", unlike the sea, whose volume is inhabitable.
So 504x is an understatement.

The specific numbers may be off, but my point is, we're talking orders of magnitude more space than what we can even hope to "dominate" because of our biological limitations.

That's ignoring the fact that as much as we may enjoy our flying metal contraptions, man can't fly, either.

Bombadil

Banned
It is interesting to me that my innocuous comment, however ignorant it may be to Gaf's ecological experts, was more controversial than comments that justified the shark's killing of the person.

Let me explain my views on the matter. The man who was killed by the shark was a lot like us in many ways. He had a mother and a father and may have had siblings. He probably had friends and perhaps a wife and children of his own. He worked for many years of his life, went to school just like we did; established friendships and relationships just like we did; practiced hobbies, watched movies, read books; felt sad and angry and happy and laughed and cried and stood in awe of the universe and thought about the nature of things and wondered where his life was headed.

On the day that he died, that man may have come to the beach to swim so he could clear his mind of some anxiety-inducing matters that are bound to bother all of us from time to time. He may have been thinking about what he was going to do that day, what he was going to eat, when he was going to find the time to finish some work, and maybe what he was going to get for his child on their birthday. Maybe, in a moment of sadness, he may have even thought about the death of one of his parents due to some inoperable, incurable disease that diligent scientists around the world are still trying to find cures for.

Do you want to know what that shark was doing that day? Want to know what he was thinking? Do you think the shark was lamenting the loss of his parents, or wondering what his purpose in the universe was? Do you think the shark had just gotten through doting over its offspring in an affectionate manner? This isn't Finding Nemo. The shark wasn't thinking any of those things.

So, I apologize to all the gaffers who have concluded that all life on this planet is equal, but I think you're wrong. Does this mean that I squash insects and wring the necks of chickens for pleasure? No. But I don't give a shit about the shark and can't feel anything but pity for the man who lost his life, and sympathy for his friends and family. How dare anyone in this thread shrug their shoulders and say, "Oh well, it was the shark's territory." That doesn't mean that you should admonish the man who died, or try to create some false parity between the life of a human being and that of a shark. Fuck the shark.

MrHicks

Banned
It is interesting to me that my innocuous comment, however ignorant it may be to Gaf's ecological experts, was more controversial than comments that justified the shark's killing of the person.

Let me explain my views on the matter. The man who was killed by the shark was a lot like us in many ways. He had a mother and a father and may have had siblings. He probably had friends and perhaps a wife and children of his own. He worked for many years of his life, went to school just like we did; established friendships and relationships just like we did; practiced hobbies, watched movies, read books; felt sad and angry and happy and laughed and cried and stood in awe of the universe and thought about the nature of things and wondered where his life was headed.

On the day that he died, that man may have come to the beach to swim so he could clear his mind of some anxiety-inducing matters that are bound to bother all of us from time to time. He may have been thinking about what he was going to do that day, what he was going to eat, when he was going to find the time to finish some work, and maybe what he was going to get for his child on their birthday. Maybe, in a moment of sadness, he may have even thought about the death of one of his parents due to some inoperable, incurable disease that diligent scientists around the world are still trying to find cures for.

Do you want to know what that shark was doing that day? Want to know what he was thinking? Do you think the shark was lamenting the loss of his parents, or wondering what his purpose in the universe was? Do you think the shark had just gotten through doting over its offspring in an affectionate manner? This isn't Finding Nemo. The shark wasn't thinking any of those things.

So, I apologize to all the gaffers who have concluded that all life on this planet is equal, but I think you're wrong. Does this mean that I squash insects and wring the necks of chickens for pleasure? No. But I don't give a shit about the shark and can't feel anything but pity for the man who lost his life, and sympathy for his friends and family. How dare anyone in this thread shrug their shoulders and say, "Oh well, it was the shark's territory." That doesn't mean that you should admonish the man who died, or try to create some false parity between the life of a human being and that of a shark. Fuck the shark.

its his own fault makes a lotta difference
the shark is totally innocent

there was this story about a kid who was killed by a crocodile
the croc was found and they asked the parents what to do

the parents said something like "it was just doing what it does let it live it nothing will bring our son back"

this retarded "yehaaaaaw revenge time/witchhunts that happen every time any animal kills a person is retarded

What if he was a complete asshole instead of the most sympathetic person in the world?

Mordeccai

:lol that post. It's a whole lot easier to just refrain from making blanket statements and do a few Google searches before posting

I think man should accept certain things. One of them being that there is an alarming rise in danger the moment you jump in the ocean. Take the risk at, well, your own risk. You know sharks are there, and you know what they could do. Unless you plan on reasoning with it, don't blame it. You are the more capable of the two mentally speaking, so blame yourself if you decide to clear your mind in the ocean.

The risk is always there, like with anything. No need to fuck up millions of years worth of balancing because someone rolled the dice and came up at the wrong end of the numbers.

Why do sharks have to be such assholes--always handing out their lethal, toothy demerits?

MEGAPROPS if you catch the reference. It's from years ago on another forum but holy hell it has stuck in my mind forever.

bill0527

I think man should accept certain things. One of them being that there is am alarming rise in danger the moment you jump in the ocean. Take the risk at, well, your own risk. You know sharks are their, and you know what they could do. Unless you plan on reasoning with it, don't blame it. You are the more capable of the two mentally speaking, so blame yourself if you decide to clear your mind in the ocean.

The risk is always there, like with anything. No need to fuck up millions of years worth of balancing because someone rolled the dice and came up at the wrong end of the numbers.

I agree with this, even though I love swimming in the Ocean.

I guess if I get attacked and eaten...well that's on me. I could have always chosen to go to the community pool.

dojokun

Banned
its his own fault makes a lotta difference
the shark is totally innocent

there was this story about a kid who was killed by a crocodile
the croc was found and they asked the parents what to do

the parents said something like "it was just doing what it does let it live it nothing will bring our son back"

this retarded "yehaaaaaw revenge time/witchhunts that happen every time any animal kills a person is retarded
For me personally, it would depend on how far out the guy went before being eaten by the shark. If it was farther than anyone generally goes, then it's not reasonable to bother going after the shark population out there. If it was right at a beach, where humans go all the time, and a shark wandered in the area, I'd be in favor of hunting that shark down and killing it.

Bear

Just so you know, if you kill all the sharks, jellyfish takes over the oceans and scallop, oyster, and clam become rare commodity.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...e-domino-effect-destroying-our-oceans/240630/

Seriously, this is a much bigger threat. Jellyfish already have the highest death count (100+ people annually) of any aquatic animal while sharks rank fairly low (4.2 people annually, 2006-2010 average). Shark attacks get a lot of attention because they are terrifying, not because they are high-risk. Dog bites and bee stings kill several times more people than shark attacks.

Even ignoring ecological devastation, strictly in terms of human lives we're much safer with sharks than without. They rarely kill humans and are among the most effective regulators of ocean populations.

antonz

If the Chinese have their way we wont have any sharks left pretty soon. or any that are left will be so rare it will be like seeing bigfoot

FStop7

Banned

Saying you wish you could wipe out an entire species of animal because one of them killed a person is not "innocuous."

Log4Girlz

orcas live in groups
sharks are solitary

NO WAY an orca would allow one of his friends to be attacked
doesn't happen

unless its an abandoned orca corpse

The circumstances would be rare, but if isolated by a few hundred yards and a large great white did a vertical full speed run at the orca, it could take a lethal bite. It is physiologically possible, though highly, highly unlikely. It would be like a lone wolf against a mountain lion, possible just real unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom