• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
The HORROR!

120-2044_IMG.JPG

headshotringo.jpg

"from the Republican Party tent"

same thing. Yeah.

I find it hilarious how you have been in hyperdrive this past week or so. lol

Allard

"from the Republican Party tent"

same thing. Yeah.

I find it hilarious how you have been in hyperdrive this past week or so. lol

Not to mention a good deal of liberals and people within specifically spoke out against the stuff he posted when it cropped up. We can't do much about idiots who demean us but we don't expect that from officials, or representatives from the party. That kind of behavior is bad for everyone and its nice that at least 1 republican at that event didn't like the punching bag there too.

and invented the Internet, which I hear is kind of a big deal.

Private industry didn't want to allow the internet to exist because they didn't see profit in it, or thought it would hinder their own phone line profits
Oh the irony of people posting their explicit hatred of government on a government created entity, that helped expand businesses AND the economy simultaneously.

Jackson50

I feel like 538 is great on this, if you look at the data correctly. What they're saying, essentially, is Obama is doing as well as we're saying right now -- if the election were held today, Obama would be a 4/5ths favorite to win it. But in November, the expection is that he'll only be a 2/3rds favorite, which prices in the economy, the Euro crisis, Israel, and all the other things that could conceivably happen to bring him down. (Intrade's break with 538 is presumably partially partisan investment and partially that they're gloomier on the economy in general.)
Yeah. For an election forecast, their model ably accounts for campaign dynamics that are notoriously difficult to quantify.
All this bickering about taxes or moral belief issues seem to pale in comparison when Syrian people have to worry about being killed by their government/rebels (not to mention there are plenty of other places like this as well)

Also China and Russia vetoed a UN security resolution (not exactly sure what that would have done anyway, but maybe open the door for assistance). That Assad guy is a pretty giant dick.

More here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/19/russia-china-syria_n_1686172.html

Sad. White people/first world problems I guess.
It has been apparent that neither will accede to strong opposition to Assad's regime. They've boycotted every international meeting with elements of the opposition. And they've blocked prior UNSC resolutions. Libya was a rare confluence of circumstances unlikely to be replicated. And as both the opposition and Assad's regime perceive the situation a zero-sum, the likelihood of a pacted compromise is remote. And no one, prudently in my opinion, is willing to interject themselves into the situation. Unfortunately for the Syrians, the conflict will probably prove protracted.
Any study on who really watches these ads? It's strange that "attack ads" are all the media rage while TV advertisement viewership is declining due to newer viewing methods. Are "attack ads" more effective with people who are less technologically savvy, like people who watch "regular" TV and listen to talk radio?
Political advertisements, insofar that they're effective, typically have a greater effect on people who are less politically engaged; although, this is hardly absolute. Consequently, I doubt they'd have a greater effect on people who listen to talk radio. They're probably firm conservatives, so the advertisements merely reinforce their position. And I'd conjecture that there's little difference between consumers of new and old media. Those who are engaged are probably still self-selecting their media, and those who are disengaged probably could not care less. Altogether, the effects of political ads are greatly exaggerated.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Some local poligaf observations;

So this guy is running for TAX COLLECTOR in my home town (Charlotte County in SWFL), which as you probably know, do not make many decisions, and none about tax policy.

Yet, based on the number of political signs around town (The large expensive kind, on every corner), is spending 10s of thousands of dollars to get elected... makes you wonder.

I love the claim he will save 1 million dollars in tax collection costs per year. That's $6.27 a person per year. I doubt it costs that much in the first place to collect the taxes.

Omiee

If i were a us citizen i wouldnt vote for romney based on his off shore bank accounts alone. Wtf is up with a president talking about the economy and making the country better when you have all your money in off shore account to evade paying taxes.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
If i were a us citizen i wouldnt vote for romney based on his off shore bank accounts alone. Wtf is up with a president talking about the economy and making the country better when you have all your money in off shore account to evade paying texas.

I wouldn't want to pay Texas, either.

:: ANTI REPUBLICAN POST DETECTED ::

:: INITIATE KOSMOBOT ::

[program: default/your_side_does_it_too]
[press: quote]
[search terms: RACIST, GAFFE, MISLEADING, ATTACKS]
[database: LIMBAUGH.COM, REDSTATE.COM, HANNITY.COM]
[find: ROMNEY, GOP, REPUBLICAN, CONSERVATIVE, TEA PARTY]
[replace: OBAMA, DEMOCRATS, CLINTON, PROTESTERS]
[fill: sarcastic response]

:: BEGIN ::

:: EXECUTE RESPONSE ::

:: MISSION SUCCESS ::

:: EVACUATE PREMISES ::

LOL, <3 Poligaf

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Your own fault for not having your father invest thousands of dollars (in 1950's money) into stocks for you when growing up.

FYI, if you adjust for inflation based upon the absolutely lowest dollar amount that could have been (where "a few thousand" only means $3000) and by the single latest year of Mitt Romney's life before going to college (1965) that is the current day equivalent of $20509.

So shame on your parents for not giving you $1100 for your birthday every year to invest in the stock market.

considering the stock rose from $6 a share to $96 a share, that means romney had more than the modern day equivalent of $300,000 in just one company as a college student, all given to him by his dad. And that's with far cheaper tuition costs back then compared to now, even when adjusted for inflation.

Give me a break.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Whoa, hey. You want free stuff, vote for the other guy.

God the college situation in this country drives me insane thinking about it. I come from a borderline-upper middle class family, I work as full time as is feasible while also taking a full courseload, and I'm still going to graduate with over 20k in debt. The costs just seem too unreasonable compared to the financial realities of most American families.

God the college situation in this country drives me insane thinking about it. I come from a borderline-upper middle class family, I work as full time as is feasible while also taking a full courseload, and I'm still going to graduate with over 20k in debt. The costs just seem too unreasonable compared to the financial realities of most American families.
You should have thought about that before you decided to become peasants.

tumblr_m4ceu6lXr91r6pn9c.gif

GaimeGuy

Whoa, hey. You want free stuff, vote for the other guy.

lol.

I had 1/4 of my college expenses paid for by scholarships, the rest paid for by my grandparents. About $80k total over 4 years (including rent, food, books, etc).

Looks like tuition for BYU in 1969 when Romney went there was $215 for LDS members like him.
http://yfacts.byu.edu/article?id=85

What cost $215 in 1969 would cost $1263.96 in 2010

So this fuck had over 300k in just one company and tuition just over 1k, and he and his wife say they were struggling.

I wonder if colleges even realize that their high prices are going to severely bite them in the ass in the long run.

Piecake

Yup, I really cant understand people who say its totally doable to go to college, pay your own way, graduate debt free, and either act like thats a good thing or something that most people should do.

Sure, i guess its possible if you do the whole community college and work 40 hours a week on top of that, but why the hell would you want to be either studying, going to class or working for ever waking moment of your day? Who the hell thinks that is a good thing? It simply isnt healthy and complete bullshit that you are basically forced to have no social life or down-time if you want to graduate with no debt

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Yup, I really cant understand people who say its totally doable to go to college, pay your own way, graduate debt free, and either act like thats a good thing or something that most people should do.

Sure, i guess its possible if you do the whole community college and work 40 hours a week on top of that, but why the hell would you want to be either studying, going to class or working for ever waking moment of your day? Who the hell thinks that is a good thing? It simply isnt healthy and complete bullshit that you are basically forced to have no social life or down-time if you want to graduate with no debt

Sounds like lazy poor-person talk to me.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

I've found that it seems hard to understand for people who were born with a trust fund.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Well what do you expect them to do with continual cuts from state funding. The burden Is going to get passed on to the students.

It's two fold right now, actually three if you count the real problem.

1.) States are cutting back on funding public colleges.
2.) Tuition is rising both with and without inflation.

The real problem, or rather cause of #2, is: Colleges have lowered standards to attract even more students, this has caused a domino effect in which classes become easier, and degrees decrease in value.
It has basically artificially increased the demand, and thereby prices.

I have no idea how to fix the core problem. The problem was in part created due to the mantra in the 90s that everyone should go to college, when not everybody is cut out for it.

Perhaps a national requirement that must be met to attend college might help (of course could only apply to public colleges). It would have to include accomplishments made while in High School, standardized test scores, writing ability. Perhaps even recommendations from teachers. An all encompassing set of marks, as just basing it on tests does not work well. Edit: Requiring some community service to attend college would also weed out people not serious about it.
Edit: One other thing I forgot about; encourage a movement from college to vocational schools for certain types of career aspirations.

Just look at the absurdly low requirements for FGCU:

SAT - Critical Reading >= 440 or ACT - Reading >= 18 and ACT - English >=17, and
SAT - Mathematics >= 440 or ACT - Mathematics >= 19, and
SAT - Writing >= 440 or ACT - Combined English/Writing >= 18 OR

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
So im a little lost is Mitt Romney lying about when he worked at bain? Wouldnt we know if he was lying by now?

He is definitely lying, the question is:

Was he lying to shareholders

or

Was he lying to the IRS

or

Was he lying to the media

And of course, ALL OF THE ABOVE is possible.

KingGondo

Banned
So im a little lost is Mitt Romney lying about when he worked at bain? Wouldnt we know if he was lying by now?
He claimed he left Bain in 1999 to run the Salt Lake City Olympics, but Bain's SEC filings show him as owner and manager through 2002.

Basically, he either got paid at least $100k/year to do nothing for 3 years and lied to the SEC (which is possibly a crime) or he lied to the public about his involvement in Bain for some reason.

RDreamer

Well this is kind of interesting:

Romney was equally aggressive toward taxes in the business world. For years, he was a director of Marriott International, the hotel company founded by Willard Marriott. Kleinbard, who worked on Wall Street and served as chief of staff for Congress' Joint Committee on Taxation, says Marriott had a reputation.

"Marriott was always a tax shelter promoter's first call," he says. "Marriott was one of those companies that just loved to buy tax shelters."

Bloomberg reported this year on one Marriott tax shelter, known as "Son of BOSS." It involved creating paper losses to offset taxes on real income. The Internal Revenue Service challenged the shelter, and Marriott lost in court. Judges called the shelter "fictitious" and a "scheme," and the company was forced to pay $29 million. Kleinbard notes that when the shelter was adopted, Romney was the chairman of Marriott's audit committee.

He worked at Bain until 1999, when he retroactively retired from the year 2002.

:: ANTI REPUBLICAN POST DETECTED ::

:: INITIATE KOSMOBOT ::

[program: default/your_side_does_it_too]
[press: quote]
[search terms: RACIST, GAFFE, MISLEADING, ATTACKS]
[database: LIMBAUGH.COM, REDSTATE.COM, HANNITY.COM]
[find: ROMNEY, GOP, REPUBLICAN, CONSERVATIVE, TEA PARTY]
[replace: OBAMA, DEMOCRATS, CLINTON, PROTESTERS]
[fill: sarcastic response]

:: BEGIN ::

:: EXECUTE RESPONSE ::

:: MISSION SUCCESS ::

:: EVACUATE PREMISES ::

Brilliant.

On the college issue, my parents are low-income so I got most of community college paid for and some of University to but I still had to pay about $10K in loans. Not like the universities are innocent either, there is some shady accounting practices and other issues going on.
But at the end, I still got to go to a university which without federal and state aid, I wouldn't be able to go.

RDreamer

Whoa... Chris Hayes on Lawrence O'Donnel's show just had a brilliant point about the whole tax issue. I really need to find a video of that when it goes up online.

GaimeGuy

He claimed he left Bain in 1999 to run the Salt Lake City Olympics, but Bain's SEC filings show him as owner and manager through 2002.

Basically, he either got paid at least $100k/year to do nothing for 3 years and lied to the SEC (which is possibly a crime) or he lied to the public about his involvement in Bain for some reason.

Also, there was a bit of a dispute about whether or not Romney met residency requirements to run for Massachusetts governor. One of the key parts of Romney's argument for residency was that he was constantly in the state for business meetings as the president, ceo, director, and owner of Bain.

So he's potentially committed perjury, too.

Now, it's pretty clear that Romney was involved with Bain, imo. He's just trying to run from it because of some dirty laundry. But that's just making things worse.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Whoa... Chris Hayes on Lawrence O'Donnel's show just had a brilliant point about the whole tax issue. I really need to find a video of that when it goes up online.

O'Donnell had a clip of Romney saying, outloud, "I WORKED AT BAIN TWENTY FIVE YEARS." Problem? He started with Bain in1977.

Math, people.

Chumly

It's two fold right now, actually three if you count the real problem.

1.) States are cutting back on funding public colleges.
2.) Tuition is rising both with and without inflation.

The real problem, or rather cause of #2, is: Colleges have lowered standards to attract even more students, this has caused a domino effect in which classes become easier, and degrees decrease in value.
It has basically artificially increased the demand, and thereby prices.

I have no idea how to fix the core problem. The problem was in part created due to the mantra in the 90s that everyone should go to college, when not everybody is cut out for it.

Perhaps a national requirement that must be met to attend college might help (of course could only apply to public colleges). It would have to include accomplishments made while in High School, standardized test scores, writing ability. Perhaps even recommendations from teachers. An all encompassing set of marks, as just basing it on tests does not work well. Edit: Requiring some community service to attend college would also weed out people not serious about it.
Edit: One other thing I forgot about; encourage a movement from college to vocational schools for certain types of career aspirations.

Just look at the absurdly low requirements for FGCU:

SAT - Critical Reading >= 440 or ACT - Reading >= 18 and ACT - English >=17, and
SAT - Mathematics >= 440 or ACT - Mathematics >= 19, and
SAT - Writing >= 440 or ACT - Combined English/Writing >= 18 OR

The state funding cut backs as also compounded by the fact that with rising enrollment rates the state funding naturally has to go up to keep pace with enrollment but when it instead decreases it hurts twice as bad since not only was there a decrease in overall funding but there was an additional decrease in per student funding.

The problem with tuition rising beyond the rate of inflation is not due to actual teaching costs but with auxiliary costs like new buildings and especially cutting edge research buildings which cost a hell of a lot more than the "cutting" edge research 50 years ago and I believe administrative costs have gone up.

I agree there should be better programs to divert students to what would be better for them like learning trades but I do think there should always be a push for additional education beyond high school since there is no such thing a good paying blue collar jobs anymore which is why the additional education is almost necessary.

Parents are... low middle class, I'd say.

Got my bachelors fully paid for for the first 4.5 years, ended up paying 7k for the last 1.5 years.

Not bad, but the last 1.5 were a total scrape. I almost didn't pay for my last semester, had to ask an uncle for the last bit of money to pay. :(

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Why is the bankruptcy of the US not a bigger topic right now?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=483230

And did Obama ever even talk about the Libor scandal?

I mean seriously, there is no coming out of this mess until the banksters are removed from power. Neither the Republicans or Democrats will do it, they play along with them. Not just in the US, it's the same shit everywhere.

Down the line, it doesn't matter who wins, the US is still fucked, because banksters runs the US.

pigeon

Banned
Why is the bankruptcy of the US not a bigger topic right now?

It's basically a fake problem? US treasury bond yields are negative right now -- people are willing to pay a fee to lend us money. The correct thing for us to do is to borrow enormous quantities of cash, since we could put it in the bank and make a profit. America's not bankrupt -- Republicans are tugging on the purse strings hard.

I agree about the LIBOR scandal though. I think everybody's still waiting for something to happen that they can actually explain to the public.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
It's basically a fake problem? US treasury bond yields are negative right now -- people are willing to pay a fee to lend us money. The correct thing for us to do is to borrow enormous quantities of cash, since we could put it in the bank and make a profit. America's not bankrupt -- Republicans are tugging on the purse strings hard.

I agree about the LIBOR scandal though. I think everybody's still waiting for something to happen that they can actually explain to the public.

I doubt that even with a Democrat majority, that the cities in bankruptcy would change. They would still be run by the same idiots no? And for how long will the bonds yields be in the negative? They aren't borrowing massively to fix anything. Why would they later?

Gray Man

Banned
Thanks guys. New question. Is anyone else really upset with Syria and the UN? I cant believe how awful China and Russia are being now. The UN just seems like a joke. Why hasnt the president been speaking out? Why don't we stop them, USA, England, France, get in there.

Chumly

Whelp.... Manos didn't last long. Conservative gaf should stick to poligaf. They run in the wild and bad stuff happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom