• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some more note on polling

Nate Silver finds that the pace of polling in the presidential race "has fallen quite dramatically from four years ago."

"From January through July 2008, there were 558 state polls released that tested the Obama-McCain horse race. By contrast, there were only 329 through the same date this year -- about a 40 percent decline."

RDreamer

He previously lied on what was in his taxes when he told the media and the people of Massachusetts that he had filed as a Massachusetts resident and not as a Utah resident, then later it was found out that he had indeed filed as a Utah resident. And it was found out that he had known it the whole time, because he was trying to change it retroactively.

Thus, he has proven beyond a reasonable doubt to me that he cannot be trusted at all with regard to his taxes. He's not innocent, and we shouldn't take his word for it.

He kept publicly claiming that he filed his taxes as a Massachusetts resident in order to run for Governor. But when the truth came out, it turned out he was lying. He had filed as a Utah resident (to get favorable tax treatment). So he retroactively went back and changed his tax returns so that he was a Massachusetts resident and blamed everything on other people.

Again . . . those are the kinds of things you can do as a rich guy and no one questions it.

Edit: Damn it Dreamer.

Romney needs to put out his tax info or shut the fuck up, seriously. Calling people liars is not the correct way to go about this. Release the returns, or just ignore it. Whenever he acknowledges people who criticize him for not doing what every presidential nominee has done, he looks really bad and sleazy.

Romney needs to put out his tax info or shut the fuck up, seriously. Calling people liars is not the correct way to go about this. Release the returns, or just ignore it. Whenever he acknowledges people who criticize him for not doing what every presidential nominee has done, he looks really bad and sleazy.

Yeah . . . the more this issue is discussed, the worse it is for Romney. It is another news cycle that he loses. But even if they shut up, it won't be easy. They'll continue getting questions about it. And the issue will come up again when he releases 2011 taxes as he promised. And it will come up again when his VP taxes are released. It is a slow bleed.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Yeah . . . the more this issue is discussed, the worse it is for Romney. It is another news cycle that he loses. But even if they shut up, it won't be easy. They'll continue getting questions about it. And the issue will come up again when he releases 2011 taxes as he promised. And it will come up again when his VP taxes are released. It is a slow bleed.

Even his beat case scenario, 15% a year, which there is no fucking way it is, is a political calamity. Lose/lose. But his behavior suggests it is MUCH worse than that.

Dude says Balderdash. Just give him his monocle back and get him the fuck off the stage.

He kept publicly claiming that he filed his taxes as a Massachusetts resident in order to run for Governor. But when the truth came out, it turned out he was lying. He had filed as a Utah resident (to get favorable tax treatment). So he retroactively went back and changed his tax returns so that he was a Massachusetts resident and blamed everything on other people.

Again . . . those are the kinds of things you can do as a rich guy and no one questions it.

Edit: Damn it Dreamer.

Let's say all that is true. Reid still has no evidence to back up his specific claim that Romney didn't pay taxes for a decade. Repeating it over and over does not make it true, in fact it's rather pathetic. I say it again: the burden of proof rests in Reid's hands. Until he can provide some evidence that he's not bullshitting, I see no reason to doubt Romney. Not paying taxes for ten years would be one of the stupidest things any politician could possibly do, and Romney has not proven himself to be stupid.

Romney's numbers have been rather stable over the last month despite a barrage of negative stories. There's no reason for him to release any more taxes, especially with convention season almost here. Obama had his shot and missed. He wasted all his cash on hand to smear Romney and it didn't really work. Now Romney gets to smear Obama with ads...

Stinkles

Let's say all that is true. Reid still has no evidence to back up his specific claim that Romney didn't pay taxes for a decade. Repeating it over and over does not make it true, in fact it's rather pathetic. I say it again: the burden of proof rests in Reid's hands. Until he can provide some evidence that he's not bullshitting, I see no reason to doubt Romney. Not paying taxes for ten years would be one of the stupidest things any politician could possibly do, and Romney has not proven himself to be stupid.

Romney's numbers have been rather stable over the last month despite a barrage of negative stories. There's no reason for him to release any more taxes, especially with convention season almost here. Obama had his shot and missed. He wasted all his cash on hand to smear Romney and it didn't really work. Now Romney gets to smear Obama with ads...

You're using birtherism as a prop for you arguments. You're pretty much done being taken seriously.

Let's say all that is true. Reid still has no evidence to back up his specific claim that Romney didn't pay taxes for a decade. Repeating it over and over does not make it true, in fact it's rather pathetic. I say it again: the burden of proof rests in Reid's hands.

He is not claiming it is true! He is just saying that someone told him that. Hearsay. He admits he doesn't have proof . . . . but he has said that he feels the source is credible. Romney denies the claim . . . but declines to release the proof. So take from that what you will.

Until he can provide some evidence that he's not bullshitting, I see no reason to doubt Romney.
I don't believe the 'no taxes for 10 years' either. But I do think Romney is hiding something. Nothing illegal . . . just things that are sleazy, embarassing, questionable, borderline legal, unpatriotic, etc.

There is good reason to question Romney's tax returns:
1) He's lied about them before.
2) He's got the magic IRA account.
3) It is already well-known that he played all sorts of games to dodge taxes.

Man, you are living a fantasy PD.

werks

Banned
Obama released a short form birth certificate. I'm not a birther, but it's certainly true that that would not be accepted at some agencies/departments by a civilian. Romney has released one year of taxes, soon to be two - also an inadequate amount of information by most standards (including his father's).

How about some real equivalence instead of the false one.

Obama released his short & long form birth certificate, Romney hasn't released his long form birth certificate.

Obama has released 12 years of tax returns, Romney has released 1 year.

The way I look at it, Romney owes us 11 years of tax returns & a long form birth certificate.

Saw the roll call a couple of pages back.

I have most of you beat. I started posting on GAF back when it was on the UBB boards in '99 right before the Dreamcast launched and when the actual Gaming-Age news site was more prominent. About a year later, the forum would gradually turn into a beast of its own and became more popular than the main site.

I've never been really a volume poster which explains even though I've been posting on this board for over 13 years, I still don't have a tag....I average about 2 posts a day and just keep a steady pace. These days I mostly just participate in NBA-GAF and PoliGAF and a few current event topics. I don't even goto the gaming side anymore. Just not enough time and maybe I'm getting old but it's just become completely alien to me over there.

Also since I work on games all day, I don't like getting in rabid discussions about them in my down time. Pretty much why I just stick to Lifestyle-GAF these days.

You're using birtherism as a prop for you arguments. You're pretty much done being taken seriously.

What's the difference? Both are cases of people accusing someone of something while offering no evidence to back their claims.

I'm done arguing this point. The fact remains Romney weathered two months of non-stop attacks, and is poised to tie things up immediately after the Olympics.

Stinkles

Saw the roll call a couple of pages back.

I have most of you beat. I started posting on GAF back when it was on the UBB boards in '99 right before the Dreamcast and the actual Gaming-Age news site was more prominent. About a year later, the forum would gradually turn into a beast of its own and became more popular than the main site.

I've never been really a volume poster which explains even though I've been posting on this board for over 13 years, I still don't have a tag....I average about 2 posts a day and just keep a steady pace. These days I mostly just participate in NBA-GAF and PoliGAF and a few current event topics. I don't even goto the gaming side anymore. Just not enough time and maybe I'm getting old but it's just become completely alien to me over there.

Also since I work on games all day, I don't like getting in rabid discussions about them in my down time. Pretty much why I just stick to Lifestyle-GAF these days.

Oddly it's become way less fanboy-y. PS3 folks have settled into a groove. Xbots never cared as much and now have the catbird seat. Just Ninteno and Sonic fans doing that stuff now.

Stinkles

What's the difference? Both are cases of people accusing someone of something while offering no evidence to back their claims.

I'm done arguing this point. The fact remains Romney weathered two months of non-stop attacks, and is poised to tie things up immediately after the Olympics.

Look, let me be clear. What Reid is doing is shitty, but at least it's in the right context. You know it's probably true or ballpark, but you're directly equating it to Trump as if the two people have equal merit. you are ABSOLUTE FUCKING LUTELY RIGHT that liberal GAF is holding Reid to a different standard, even if he wasn't probably right, but you also can't simply reject the fact that he's probably right or ballpark right. He is being given a pass because he's being held to a different standard, but let's be honest, there's a logical reason he is being held to a different standard.

Forever

Banned
Oddly it's become way less fanboy-y. PS3 folks have settled into a groove. Xbots never cared as much and now have the catbird seat. Just Ninteno and Sonic fans doing that stuff now.

Have you seen this amazing thread? The mods have basically made it no-man's land, I don't think it's possible to get banned in there.

People never change. Remove the rule of law and we're all the same.

Tim-E

Is there anything more intellectually lazy than the whole "olol both parties are the same" shit?

Seriously guys, stop taking PD's bait.

PD's not completely wrong here dudes. Someone watch last week's TDS segment "Harry Reid is Terrible."

Despite the fact that Romney really should just release the shit now and get it over with before the debates, Reid is being an asshole about it.

RDreamer

My dad's weird. Just got off the phone with him. He is convinced Romney's going to win. Like beyond a shadow of a doubt going to win. I told him that it's about a 70% chance of Obama at this point, and he didn't really believe it. He also thinks Romney's going to pick Rand Paul as his running mate o_O

I told him he's not going to throw a hail mary like that, because we all know how that worked out last time. His response? That he didn't like McCain until he threw that hail mary.

He also thinks Obama's flip flopped as much as Romney somehow. Not sure why.

I told him well I hope for my future Romney loses. He just stated he hopes for his future Romney wins. I'm really not sure how Romney helps even him, but whatever.

Tim-E

My dad's weird. Just got off the phone with him. He is convinced Romney's going to win. Like beyond a shadow of a doubt going to win. I told him that it's about a 70% chance of Obama at this point, and he didn't really believe it. He also thinks Romney's going to pick Rand Paul as his running mate o_O

I told him he's not going to throw a hail mary like that, because we all know how that worked out last time. His response? That he didn't like McCain until he threw that hail mary.

He also thinks Obama's flip flopped as much as Romney somehow. Not sure why.

I told him well I hope for my future Romney loses. He just stated he hopes for his future Romney wins. I'm really not sure how Romney helps even him, but whatever.

It benefits everyone when Marxist Kenyan Muslim Dictators are not in office.

PD's not completely wrong here dudes. Someone watch last week's TDS segment "Harry Reid is Terrible."

Despite the fact that Romney really should just release the shit now and get it over with before the debates, Reid is being an asshole about it.

But Harry Reid doesn't care if you (or Romney) thinks he is an asshole. Whether Reid is an asshole doesn't really matter, does it?

When this doesn't happen, I'm sure you will move the goalposts yet again.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Okay guys, I was planning on recording a podcast tomorrow at some point. Would any of you sexy gents be interested?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Whoa that 'Romney's worst month ever' article on TPM is really fucking eye-opening in just how bad the Romney campaign has been. And consider, they just jump in after the ACA was confirmed by the SCOTUS and trail off a few days ago, leaving out several key but telling moments (Australia, M16, Israeli Healthcare Praise).

I cannot believe the Republicans are fucking this last chance up so damn badly. I had taken for granted just how ridiculous the Tea Party movement was, thinking the establishment would eventually whip them into order. But holy shit, they're really going to miss their chance to repeal ACA and to claim credit for the obvious recovery already taking place. Amazing.

Whoa that 'Romney's worst month ever' article on TPM is really fucking eye-opening in just how bad the Romney campaign has been. And consider, they just jump in after the ACA was confirmed by the SCOTUS and trail off a few days ago, leaving out several key but telling moments (Australia, M16, Israeli Healthcare Praise).

I cannot believe the Republicans are fucking this last chance up so damn badly. I had taken for granted just how ridiculous the Tea Party movement was, thinking the establishment would eventually whip them into order. But holy shit, they're really going to miss their chance to repeal ACA and to claim credit for the obvious recovery already taking place. Amazing.
And Democrats will be a permanent majority for 20 years.

220px-Hillary_Clinton_official_Secretary_of_State_portrait_crop.jpg

220px-Free_Use_Castro_Image.JPG

Aww yeah.

Triple U

Banned

Yeah I really fail to see where Romney is "poised to tie things up after the Olympics".

And yet Obama doesn't have a substantial lead. I've pretty much stopped paying attention to most of TPM's stuff, the narrative building is so blatant.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Is there anything more intellectually lazy than the whole "olol both parties are the same" shit?

Seriously guys, stop taking PD's bait.

But then how will PD pick up Kosmo's slack?!

Are you guys so entrenched in your tribal politics that you ignore all of PD's posting history as a good member and turn on him so quickly? At least attempt to give him the benefit of the doubt of reason.

Yes, presidents have a precedent for releasing their tax returns and yes, asking a president for their birth certificate is fucking bullshit, but PD has a point that whatever the case, making baseless accusations without evidence is a slimy way to conduct politics.

Triple U

Banned
And yet Obama doesn't have a substantial lead. I've pretty much stopped paying attention to most of TPM's stuff, the narrative building is so blatant.

And what is your point?

There are plenty of reasons not to vote Obama, I don't think anybody thinks he will pull away cleanly.

That still doesn't make Romney's campaign any less lol-worthy.

Are you guys so entrenched in your tribal politics that you ignore all of PD's posting history as a good member and turn on him so quickly? At least attempt to give him the benefit of the doubt of reason.

Yes, presidents have a precedent for releasing their tax returns and yes, asking a president for their birth certificate is fucking bullshit, but PD has a point that whatever the case, making baseless accusations without evidence is a slimy way to conduct politics.

Its slimy but the way Romney has handled it is suspect. He holds the cards to crush this and have it blow up in Reids face while giving his campaign the boost it needs right now. Instead he wants to tip-toe his way around it and cause people to raise there eyebrows.

Clevinger

Agreed. Reid's fucked up a legitimate issue with incompetent sliminess.

Slimy? Perhaps. But again . . . the Dems are like trying to figure if an open hand slap violates the Geneva convention while the GOP is water-boarding. Using Obama quoting McCain as if Obama said a particular remark, the out-of-context 'you didn't build that', the 'Obama is preventing military people from voting' nonsense . . . each and every one of those is more slimy than the Harry Reid statement.

Slimy? Perhaps. But again . . . the Dems are like trying to figure if an open hand slap violates the Geneva convention while the GOP is water-boarding. Using Obama quoting McCain as if Obama said a particular remark, the out-of-context 'you didn't build that', the 'Obama is preventing military people from voting' nonsense . . . each and every one of those is more slimy than the Harry Reid statement.

I ask again: that makes it ok to mimic that behavior, but suck at it? Those distortions of Obama's words are more effective than Reid hiding behind an unnamed, unverified source to claim a presidential candidate was stupid enough not to pay taxes for a decade.

If dems want to talk about taxes, they should. Clearly Romney has paid less than he should, and we can have that discussion until November - especially considering he wants to rewrite the tax code. But trying to paint Reid's comments as anything less than stupidity isn't going to work. Who gives a shit if he's a boxer who is "tough" - this is the same guy who got rolled over by Olympia Snowe, Max Baucus, and Sue Collins. I don't want to hear a single word about him being a tough fighter, or hailed as some legend which is what TPM is doing with their coverage of this farce.

That's true. But at least Republicans are good at their sliminess. Reid just looks like an asshole and is making Romney look more like a victim.

Hardly. Reid's claim is borderline comical. You know Romney could easily blow it out of the water . . . but he chooses not to do so. And that makes you wonder . . . what is in those returns that Romney is so embarrassed about that he won't reveal them to make a fool out of Harry Reid?

I ask again: that makes it ok to mimic that behavior, but suck at it? Those distortions of Obama's words are more effective than Reid hiding behind an unnamed, unverified source to claim a presidential candidate was stupid enough not to pay taxes for a decade.
But the clumsiness of the attack is part of why it works. The claim is obviously false. But instead of proving it false . . . Romney just won't release his records. Why? His campaign looks foolish arguing with some that appears to be a buffoon. If you are arguing with an idiot, you already lost the debate.

What is he afraid of? Mitt just stands there and says "trust me". Why should anyone? He's lied before.

Why won't he even come back and answer that simple question that he promised to answer . . . have you ever paid less then a 13.9% rate? He said he would answer . . . but I guess he lied when he said that too.

When is Romney releasing his 2011 returns? Not that the rate will be as low as the one he showed already. He's obviously going to make sure he paid as much as possible.

Aaron

That's true. But at least Republicans are good at their sliminess. Reid just looks like an asshole and is making Romney look more like a victim.
No, they really aren't. Just the media let's them get away with their clumsy jabs. Because the minute you actually poke at their claims, like all the 'yes I did build that' people who had huge government or other assistance, they fall apart.

Also, Romney has never looked like a victim. Crooks could rob his house, leave him standing there in his special underwear, and somehow it'd still seem like it was his fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom