• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.
My steam ID is Mitt Romney. Whenever i play left 4 dead 2, 7 times out of 10 people joke and ask me where are the returns or what was i doing in 2001. Its fun.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
i'm looking forward to experiencing Mittmentum after the Olympics. Suddenly, with a monopoly media attention, he will blossom into the candidate Democrats have feared. Articulate, a master of public policy, impeccable record in the private sector, humanitarian, a gold in dressage...

All of you will be foolish once this happens.

Tim-E

i'm looking forward to experiencing Mittmentum after the Olympics. Suddenly, with a monopoly media attention, he will blossom into the candidate Democrats have feared. Articulate, a master of public policy, impeccable record in the private sector, humanitarian, a gold in dressage...

All of you will be foolish once this happens.

Romney WAS supposed to be that candidate in the middle of summer when gas prices soared to $5/gal, Europe sank into the ocean, and unemployment soared once again.

RomneyHood is a fucking great nick name. I applaud you Bams, you have been on the ball.

Npr interviewing a guy from florida who listens to rush limbaugh and honestly thinks obama hates white people because of Jeremiah White. All i could do was shake my head.

Measley

My man, Jared Bernstein schools some assface from Cato:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODf3DgVi-C8&feature=player_embedded

People really need to watch this video. It illustrates perfectly what the right wants to do to the country when they get full power. The guy from the Cato institute is advocating getting the government out of education. I can't even imagine the impact of that level of crazy given all the working class people who depend on free, public education for their children.

andthebeatgoeson

Saw the roll call a couple of pages back.

I have most of you beat. I started posting on GAF back when it was on the UBB boards in '99 right before the Dreamcast launched and when the actual Gaming-Age news site was more prominent. About a year later, the forum would gradually turn into a beast of its own and became more popular than the main site.

I've never been really a volume poster which explains even though I've been posting on this board for over 13 years, I still don't have a tag....I average about 2 posts a day and just keep a steady pace. These days I mostly just participate in NBA-GAF and PoliGAF and a few current event topics. I don't even goto the gaming side anymore. Just not enough time and maybe I'm getting old but it's just become completely alien to me over there.

Also since I work on games all day, I don't like getting in rabid discussions about them in my down time. Pretty much why I just stick to Lifestyle-GAF these days.

How long have you been using your username? Since 2000 or 2001, for me. I remember arguing about Nas vs Jay Z as my first real argument but I had been on the boards lurking before that. Same username. And I'm still invisible. Haha. Maybe I should pick up a persona?

Shout out to those that were here when the OT was a big deal. All this blathering about communities made me tear up. I remember we had a thread where we simply posted letters, in alphabetical order. That's old school. And no one came to the OT, so you could do ANYTHING w/o repercussions. Well, mostly anything. It was a wasteland when it first opened up.

Romney truly is the worst politician ever.

Well, at least he still has his:

-record as Gov. of Mass.
-record at Bain
-record on the Olympics

-role as husband and father
When Obama uncovers the sexual harrassment claim from a previous Bain worker, it will be epic. You trying to tell me, Romney is a dick, capitalist swine and hasn't slapped someone on the ass? Probably a September surprise.

Romney ad hitting Obama over Welfare changes.

Frankly I hadn't heard anything about this, and was curious to see what was actually true and what wasn't. From CNN political ticker...

In Tuesday's ad from the Romney campaign, an announcer points to Clinton's achievement, and claims Obama's directive would "gut welfare reform by dropping work requirements."

"Under Obama's plan, you wouldn't have to work and wouldn't have to train for a job. They just send you your welfare check," the announcer continues. "And welfare to work goes back to being plain old welfare."

Romney campaign spokeswoman Andrea Saul said the welfare ad was one piece in a larger push to highlight the Obama administration's changes to ways states administer welfare.

"Middle-class Americans are working harder and harder to make ends meet," Saul wrote. "Under President Obama, they have fewer jobs and less take-home pay. And now, President Obama wants to take their hard-earned tax dollars and give it to welfare recipients without work requirements."

So I guess their strategy is to go back to the "blame it on the poors" thinking. I hate this line of attack, since it seems like thinly veiled racism and seems to stereotype people on welfare as lazy and shiftless. White House response?

"This policy will allow states to test new, more effective ways to help people get and keep a job," Carney said.

He called Republican criticism of the changes "hypocritical," pointing to past support from Republican governors – including Romney – for waivers to the federal requirements.

"Given this long, documented history of bipartisan support, it is surprising, to say the least, to see this kind of flip-flopping on the part of Republicans," Carney said.

In 2005, Romney signed a letter along with 29 other state governors to then-Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, calling for greater state flexibility in managing their TANF programs.

Of course he did.

So, seems like much ado about nothing.

KingGondo

Banned
Of course he did.

It's not "much ado about nothing" if you only get one side of the story.

Fox News viewers (and those who hear water cooler talk from these people) will now think that Obama is trying to give handouts to the lazy and restrict the rights of military voters.

It's not about the truth, it's about getting an idea into the electorate and watching it propagate.

ToxicAdam

IMG_4441.JPG
Yes, you would. You would.

andthebeatgoeson

That's true. But at least Republicans are good at their sliminess. Reid just looks like an asshole and is making Romney look more like a victim.

If Mitt releases his taxes and it's below 20%, it'll make Mitt the bitch. Reid doesn't care about how he looks. He's just protecting his meal ticket.

Yes, you would. You would.
At her age, she's a maybe. Especially if I have to talk to her. I'm not risking anything for her, though. Maybe if she's behind a glory hole.

Tim-E

It's not "much ado about nothing" if you only get one side of the story.

Fox News viewers (and those who hear water cooler talk from these people) will now think that Obama is trying to give handouts to the lazy and restrict the rights of military voters.

It's not about the truth, it's about getting an idea into the electorate and watching it propagate.

Yep. The right is going to eat this up and run with it. They love this kind of garbage.

Too bad it's another thing that does nothing but get the group of people who already hates Obama riled up. I would assume that this type of argument does nothing for independents. They're the only ones who complain about welfare queens and government handouts.

If Mitt releases his taxes and it's below 20%, it'll make Mitt the bitch. Reid doesn't care about how he looks. He's just protecting his meal ticket.

Yep, it won't be until 2016 when Reid is up for re-election so he's not risking anything. No one will remember this or care once this election is over.

gcubed

Romney ad hitting Obama over Welfare changes.

Frankly I hadn't heard anything about this, and was curious to see what was actually true and what wasn't. From CNN political ticker...

So I guess their strategy is to go back to the "blame it on the poors" thinking. I hate this line of attack, since it seems like thinly veiled racism and seems to stereotype people on welfare as lazy and shiftless. White House response?

Of course he did.

again... you can have a 500 million dollar lead in fundraising, but if all you are doing is advertising to your base, it means little

again... you can have a 500 million dollar lead in fundraising, but if all you are doing is advertising to your base, it means little

Well Romney needs his base to really turn out for him. Of course, they aren't going to turn out for him, but they might turn out against Obama. That's his entire strategy.

markatisu

Well Romney needs his base to really turn out for him. Of course, they aren't going to turn out for him, but they might turn out against Obama. That's his entire strategy.

The GOP base is not large enough to change a general election, he needs indies and currently he is not getting those in force. There are more registered Democrats then Republicans in a majority of states. Placing all the ad money to your base is extremely shortsided

The middle wants to hear what he will do, not just the same tired "whatever Obama is doing, not that"

We have 3 months left, the fact Romney won't release his taxes and has pretty much no concrete plans is just sad. He should have never been the candidate but he was the best of the worst

i have yet to see a Romney bumper sticker in the Philadelphia burbs. I see quite a few anti Obama bumper stickers though

I've seen few and far between in Bucks or NJ. I did see a car with an NRA and Romeny one which gave me a chuckle, not as much though as seeing a Newt one once did. However I'd say not less than 5-10 and no way more than 20, compared to dozens of Obama ones.

RedSwirl

Another thing I want to know more about guys: Chris Christie in relation to the rest of the GOP.

From what I've heard on the news and around here, Christie seems like the candidate the GOP deserves, but not the one it needs right now. Clarify?

On the subject, what moderates are left among the Republicans?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Some of my co-workers seem like fairly moderate republicans. One guy I know supports Romney because he believes that Romney is really a moderate who's just pandering to the "crazy people" (his words) to secure the election.

RDreamer

i have yet to see a Romney bumper sticker in the Philadelphia burbs. I see quite a few anti Obama bumper stickers though

In Wisconsin I've seen a few Obama bumper stickers, but absolutely nothing on the other side, besides one hilariously anti-Obama shirt by some guy in Madison. The people with the fondness for political lawn ornamentation around here seem to be focused on the senate race. I see a bunch of Hovde and Tommy Thompson signs, but nothing for the presidential election.

Some of my co-workers seem like fairly moderate republicans. One guy I know supports Romney because he believes that Romney is really a moderate who's just pandering to the "crazy people" (his words) to secure the election.

You tell him those crazy people are going to be writing the legislation that Romney likely won't be vetoing?

That's my reason for not being worried if he's elected.

You tell him those crazy people are going to be writing the legislation that Romney likely won't be vetoing?

The trick is you balance your voting to ensure a split or divided Congress.

That said sometimes those crazy's do do useful things, granted I just wish more Democrats were like John Tester so I could ignore the whacks and have my interests served, well guess I could move to Montana. lol

Another thing I want to know more about guys: Chris Christie in relation to the rest of the GOP.

From what I've heard on the news and around here, Christie seems like the candidate the GOP deserves, but not the one it needs right now. Clarify?

Christie is a loud mouth jerk who can rub people the wrong way. He's somewhat moderate, but still holds steadfastly to never raising a tax, blaming teacher and cop unions for society's ills, and killed a tunnel project to NY that was very popular among his constituents. His harsh demeanor is beloved by the righty talking heads but could rub people the wrong way in middle America.

My guess is he will not be the presidential nominee next time around, but he may wind up in Romney's cabinet is he wins.

As for moderates left, umm.... in government? LOL. There's probably a GOP governor out there who's moderate that I'm unaware of. But I don't know of any left in the Senate or House.

Romney himself may not be a raging moron, but he will be co-opted by the crazies and steer the country whichever way they want. If he's ready to disavow his signature legislative work in order to appease whoever was throwing bones, it tells you lot about how he will govern.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

I'm not too worried that if he gets elected he's going to try and outlaw abortion or annul gay marriages or anything, but I don't think that his perspectives on wealth and inequality are something he created to pander, and I am worried about what he might do on those fronts.

I don't really get the Christie love, electorally, other than him being gregarious and having a pulse. He seems like he'd go over with the national GOP about as well as Giuliani did.

pigeon

Banned
Yep. The right is going to eat this up and run with it. They love this kind of garbage.

Too bad it's another thing that does nothing but get the group of people who already hates Obama riled up. I would assume that this type of argument does nothing for independents. They're the only ones who complain about welfare queens and government handouts.

Yep, it won't be until 2016 when Reid is up for re-election so he's not risking anything. No one will remember this or care once this election is over.

Reid probably won't run again. He was expected to lose in 2010 and got handed a gift by the Tea Party. He's underwater in his home state now. What does he have to lose?

Romney himself may not be a raging moron, but he will be co-opted by the crazies and steer the country whichever way they want. If he's ready to disavow his signature legislative work in order to appease whoever was throwing bones, it tells you lot about how he will govern.

Yup. If Romney's willing to pander this much to get elected, do you really think he'd flinch at passing their crazy legislation to get RE-elected?

I'm not too worried that if he gets elected he's going to try and outlaw abortion or annul gay marriages or anything, but I don't think that his perspectives on wealth and inequality are something he created to pander, and I am worried about what he might do on those fronts.

I think he'll move to the middle much like Clinton and Obama did, even Bush to an extent.

Except he'll be focused on being reelected and all the base pandering, much like 08 Obama to the left, will be chucked aside to pandering to the middle of the spectrum. Actually an interesting theory some have why gun control legislation is far more likely to pass in some form than under Obama is because Romney would pander to the middle.

Loudninja

Romney: Obama’s ‘Taking The Work Out Of Welfare’
Mitt Romney attacked President Obama on welfare reform at a campaign event in Elk Grove Village, Illinois on Tuesday, criticizing him for letting states test new ways to implement the program.

“President Obama has tried to reverse that accomplishment by taking the work out of welfare,” Romney said to applause.
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entries/romney-obamas-taking-work-out-of-welfare

What?

Tim-E

In southern WV I see mostly anti-Obama stickers, but I've seen a handful of Obama stickers. Absolutely none for Romney, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom