• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calling it Obamacare will give the man due credit in 20 years when it's as popular as Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security and Republicans are running on protecting your Obamacare.

Stinkles said:
neck and neck.
It's Romney's to lose, really. If Obama can only be winning with 300+ EVs he's in deep shit.

My favorite part is that you could give Romney all of the Lean Obama and Toss-Up states in that chart and he'd still lose.

Yeah its mind blowing but wait till the debates, you better believe Obama is going to challenge him for answers and when he can't give them in front of a live television audience...well there is no spinning in the world the media can do to save him from that moment of epic fail

It will be just like George HW Bush looking at his watch and McCain pointing at Obama, a moment that idiot general population figures out this is not the right person to vote for

He will just lie in the debates.

Obama: Your tax plan would raise taxes on middle class by 2000$.

Romney: No it would not. My plan would crease 12 million jobs, GDP will grow by 6%, UE will be at 6%, middle class will enjoy the fruits of Growth, etc, etc.

Moderators are not allowed to point out what is fact, what is possible.

pigeon

Banned
Well, that is really disappointing. :(

As it continued to get more popular (which it does), Obama was like, sure, what the hell, say my name. If welfare was called LBJ Money people might actually remember him as somebody other than the guy after JFK got shot.

Tim-E

As it continued to get more popular (which it does), Obama was like, sure, what the hell, say my name. If welfare was called LBJ Money people might actually remember him as somebody other than the guy after JFK got shot.

I'm going to start calling it that.

Loudninja

hmm?

Romney Calls On Reid To Reveal His Source
“I don’t really believe that he’s got any kind of a credible source,” Romney told Fox News. “I don’t know who gave him this line of reasoning, whether it came from the White House or the DNC or a staffer, but he ought to say where it came from, and then we can find out whether that person has any credibility. I know they don’t.”
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entries/romney-calls-on-reid-to-reveal-his-source

Odd.

markatisu

He will just lie in the debates.

Obama: Your tax plan would raise taxes on middle class by 2000$.

Romney: No it would not. My plan would crease 12 million jobs, GDP will grow by 6%, UE will be at 6%, middle class will enjoy the fruits of Growth, etc, etc.

Moderators are not allowed to point out what is fact, what is possible.

Have you ever watched Romney debate? He is not that slick, take some time and watch him lose his cool against Gingrinch and Perry when he is confronted with something he is not prepared for

Then expect to see that a few times because Obama as a debater is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> any of the GOP candidates

My only problem in your map is Florida. That's where RNC is gonna be. No one ever went broke betting against Florida.
Well, that's not my map, that's TPM's poll averages.

Florida and North Carolina are the only two states I'd consider to be super-close toss-ups and right now, Obama has a slight polling advantage in the former and Romney in the latter. Either way Obama could lose both and still win comfortably.

Tim-E

Have you ever watched Romney debate? He is not that slick, take some time and watch him lose his cool against Gingrinch and Perry when he is confronted with something he is not prepared for

Then expect to see that a few times because Obama as a debater is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> any of the GOP candidates

He's also not had to debate against a democrat since he ran for governor. Obama is going to be going after republican ideas and other things that even Romney's fellow partymen and women wouldn't touch. He's not had to defend some of the things he's going to have to defend.

ToxicAdam

Rep. Ben Quayle's (R-AZ) campaign says a mailer from GOP primary rival Rep. David Schweikert (R-AZ) has sexual connotations and demands an apology, The Hill reports.

But Schweikert's campaign "is not backing down from the controversial mailer it issued on Friday, which characterizes Quayle as someone who 'goes both ways.' The campaign says the wording refers to his flip-flops on important issues."

Meanwhile, the Arizona Republic reports Sen. Jon Kyl (R-AZ) has condemned the mailer saying it has "the strangest of allusions to sexuality that have no place in a political debate."

Arizona, the Florida of politics.

Tim-E

He DOES realize that if he released his tax returns, he could likely end this controversy while simultaneously making Reid, Obama, and a lot of Dems lose credibility right?

If there was any doubt that he's hiding something borderline illegal, it should be shattered by what he just said right there.

That's the reason Reid is doing it. Romney loses the argument either way. He releases them and gets slaughtered and by not releasing them the media will constantly be talking about how he hasn't released them. Either way, Reid will be able to walk away from this on November 6th without it effecting him in any way.

He DOES realize that if he released his tax returns, he could likely end this controversy while simultaneously making Reid, Obama, and a lot of Dems lose credibility right?

If there was any doubt that he's hiding something borderline illegal, it should be shattered by what he just said right there.

The whitehouse has distanced themselves from the claim. So Romney can cause Reid to lose credibility . . . but who cares about Reid?

He's also not had to debate against a democrat since he ran for governor. Obama is going to be going after republican ideas and other things that even Romney's fellow partymen and women wouldn't touch. He's not had to defend some of the things he's going to have to defend.
Besides, 2003 Mitt Romney was practically a Democrat. What's there to debate against?

Tim-E

The whitehouse has distanced themselves from the claim. So Romney can cause Reid to lose credibility . . . but who cares about Reid?

Yep. Reid will be 76 by 2016 when he would be up for reelection again, so he may not even bother at that point. He's the perfect attack dog for this type of thing. All the White House has to do is say "we don't agree with what he's saying."

Besides, 2003 Mitt Romney was practically a Democrat. What's there to debate against?

Good point.

Even then, he can be trained just to change the subject like that, so hopefully Obama has a plan when he tries that.

Also different topic, but Republicans only need 4 seats in order to take control of the Senate? Holy shit, that's scary.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

It's common practice to distance yourself from the attack dog. No real meaning in that, it's just buffer for tonal politics.

Yep. Reid will be 76 by 2016 when he would be up for reelection again, so he may not even bother at that point. He's the perfect attack dog for this type of thing. All the White House has to do is say "we don't agree with what he's saying."
And that is exactly what they have done. I believe the words they used were "Harry Reid's words are his own."

But they do mention ~"Romney could easily resolve this dispute with Harry Reid by release his tax returns."

Good cop, bad cop.

markatisu

Even then, he can be trained just to change the subject like that, so hopefully Obama has a plan when he tries that.

I doubt he changes the subject, if you watch Romney debate and he gets frustrated it comes out emotionally. Its one of the reasons Gingrinch was able to ding the hell out of him and Perry as well.

He had issues against the GOP and they were not going at him hard on the issues, facing a Democrat he is going to have to defend the GOP and not flip flop.

I mean come on guys this is Romney who can flip flop in the same conversation

It's common practice to distance yourself from the attack dog. No real meaning in that, it's just buffer for tonal politics.
Often the VP candidate is used as the attack dog and that is harder to distance from. This is Harry Reid making accusation and not at Obama events.

I doubt he changes the subject, if you watch Romney debate and he gets frustrated it comes out emotionally. Its one of the reasons Gingrinch was able to ding the hell out of him and Perry as well.

He had issues against the GOP and they were not going at him hard on the issues, facing a Democrat he is going to have to defend the GOP and not flip flop.

I mean come on guys this is Romney who can flip flop in the same conversation

lol, Romney could barely handle the turds of the Republican party and we're supposed to believe that he'll "hold his own" (which is UNDOUBTEDLY the excuse the GOP will uses when he gets roflstomped in the debates) against Obama?

Tim-E

All Obama needs to do is push Romney to the point where he gets visibly flustered and upset once, which pillhead Rick Perry was able to do with ease. All Obama has to do after that is coast through the debate because afterword all people will talk about is how poor Romney came off.

This whole situation is odd. On the one hand I have a hard time believing Romney straight up paid no taxes at any point. On the other hand, the Reid accusation was so blatantly huge that its hard to believe the entire thing was a lie.

Romney paid taxes. What is actually in his returns is a swiss bank account which he paid a fine for not disclosing (thanks to an amnesty program to avoid prosecution) and lying about the value of gifts he gave to his children (which is a crime).

Reid knows this but known people won't take kindly to him accusing Romney of breaking the law. So instead, he accuses him of paying 0 taxes knowing Romney can't release his records without demonstrating he broke the law, probably at least twice. And without releasing the returns, people will know he's hiding something, illegal or 0 taxes.

Romney paid taxes. What is actually in his returns is a swiss bank account which he paid a fine for not disclosing (thanks to an amnesty program to avoid prosecution) and lying about the value of gifts he gave to his children (which is a crime).

Reid knows this but known people won't take kindly to him accusing Romney of breaking the law. So instead, he accuses him of paying 0 taxes knowing Romney can't release his records without demonstrating he broke the law, probably at least twice. And without releasing the returns, people will know he's hiding something, illegal or 0 taxes.

that's how it's DONE

Tim-E

The more time Romney spends trying to tie the White House to Reid's statement, the more time they're spending losing the argument. Also, how are they going to prove that Obama is behind Reid's statement? If pushed further, they can just completely say that they don't agree with what he's saying at all, but that doesn't exactly force Reid to stop. I can't see a way in which the White House comes out looking like they have something to do with this.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

It's gotta be something like this. The whole Romney's taxes thing is getting to the point where it's just insane that he hasn't released them yet, all of this Reid shit would be over if he did and yet nothing. There is no good reason to keep getting hit over this and yet Romney is.

markatisu

The more time Romney spends trying to tie the White House to Reid's statement, the more time they're spending losing the argument. Also, how are they going to prove that Obama is behind Reid's statement? If pushed further, they can just completely say that they don't agree with what he's saying at all, but that doesn't exactly force Reid to stop. I can't see a way in which the White House comes out looking like they have something to do with this.

I also can't see why it matters, to "most" people the simple answer is to release the taxes

People are going to start wondering why Romney won't do it, the more you say its not an issue it becomes an issue

Mike M

Nick N
I'm not very comfortable with the idea of Reid just making this up out of whole cloth just to box Romney into releasing actual, damaging information or suffer the damage from made-up information. If it legitimately was a tip off, that's one thing, but if it's just a ploy to goad Romney into campaign suicide... That's not an action I can support.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Reid should just call on Romney to reveal his source saying he paid the taxes:p

Notice that Romney isn't actually denying what Reid said except in weird broad strokes "I paid a lot of taxes" - yes you did, but when, and in what ratio to your income, and in what years?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm not very comfortable with the idea of Reid just making this up out of whole cloth just to box Romney into releasing actual, damaging information or suffer the damage from made-up information. If it legitimately was a tip off, that's one thing, but if it's just a ploy to goad Romney into campaign suicide... That's not an action I can support.

I'm in the same camp. Pretty uneasy about what's been going on so far.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!

Politics. WOO!

Arde5643

Thing is, Romney camp still hasn't released anything yet to this day even after several Republicans themselves have told them to release them and get this over with.

If it was something like the birther issue, I'd agree, but at this point with how much Romney camp is trying to hide and bury it at the core of the earth, it's really becoming a defining pattern of shadiness and shiftiness even moreso than his lying out of his ass routine.

Quinnipiac University/New York Times/CBS News Swing State Poll for Colorado, Virginia, and Wisconsin tomorrow at 10am

Hopefully WI becomes THE true swing state again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom