• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigeon

Banned
While I do think Obama is a better debater/speaker than Romney, is it really going to be easy for him to convince voters of his policies etc. when Romney can point to the bad economy and just state the numbers? What can Obama do to explain the situation without it coming off as ''look at him blaming Bush/Republicans again for his own failures''? Seems like a very difficult endeavor.

It's not ideal, but he's got General Motors to point to, and the majority of Americans still like him and absolutely hate Congress, so he can get away with blaming them to some degree. All he has to do is squeak by and pivot to economic fairness and taxing the rich, a subject Romney is apt to take personally by this point.

Drek

While I do think Obama is a better debater/speaker than Romney, is it really going to be easy for him to convince voters of his policies etc. when Romney can point to the bad economy and just state the numbers? What can Obama do to explain the situation without it coming off as ''look at him blaming Bush/Republicans again for his own failures''? Seems like a very difficult endeavor.

All polling shows that over 2/3rds of this country don't blame Obama for the economy.

He does get instant credibility for the auto bail outs, which have worked and saved tens of thousands of jobs.

The GOP congress has the worst approval ratings imaginable and are taking the majority of blame for government problems.

Obamacare has seen a nice bump in it's approval numbers post-SCOTUS ruling.

His populist message translates great to swing voters and Romney is the ideal foil for that attack.

If Romney just points to the bad economic numbers he will get crushed in the debates.

codhand

nice reddit-style simpsons quoting guys lol

this was a good one too:
proteinstrands.png

Puddles

Banned
I'm really not sure how Community Organizer isn't a real job.

That meme (Obama hasn't had a real job) is so fucking insulting to >50% of my generation (who would DREAM of being able to put Community Organizer on their resumes).

To say nothing of Constitutional Law Professor. Teachers fucking work, man. I've been a teacher. I worked. It wasn't a joke.

thefro

I'm really not sure how Community Organizer isn't a real job.

That meme (Obama hasn't had a real job) is so fucking insulting to >50% of my generation (who would DREAM of being able to put Community Organizer) on their resumes.

To say nothing of Constitutional Law Professor. Teachers fucking work, man. I've been a teacher. I worked. It wasn't a joke.

He also was a financial analyst in Manhattan for a year, but Republicans forget that part. Also, being a lawyer is definitely a real job too

Tim-E

I like how many of these Republicans who say that Obama has never had a real job despite working in law and being a law professor have JDs.

Puddles

Banned
I just had a conservative tell me that the MPP I'm studying for isn't a real degree, and that if I knew jackshit, I'd be working in the real world instead of going for higher education. I pointed out that Romney has a joint MBA/JD, and asked why he bothered for an advanced degree. He said something about an MBA/JD being a POWER DEGREE. I pointed out that I could say with 100% certainty, Romney employs MPPs in his campaign. That was the end of that.

Some people just like to play the "I managed a team; what the hell have you done?" card, as though it makes a fucking difference as to whether the candidate you support has policy plans that would be better or worse for the nation.

DNC Convention Plans

http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=2B105064-2E80-4960-BD86-652C2AAC1D8D

Each night of the convention will include a star turn for what planners call “real people” — for instance, an auto worker whose job was saved, a student who benefited from college loans and an entrepreneur fueled by federal research-and-development funds.

The most innovative — and harshest — element of the preliminary program is a nightly “social contrast” in which two people describe their personal experience with a hot-button issue — one person lauding the president’s actions, the other taking Romney to task. “Each paired-testimonial should have an ‘unexpected’ participant,” the documents say.

Convention planners are considering featuring a centrist Republican leader on at least two of the three nights. Nightly remotes from swing states may include a CEO or “major Republican.” On Wednesday night, a “notable GOP woman” is among the possible participants. And on the final night, Democrats may include a Republican leader — someone like former Sens. John Warner or Chuck Hagel — or a GOP woman.

That sounds like a great convention. If they can pull in some big GOP names, it will be even more interesting. I'd really like Jon Hunstman to be there but I doubt he'd fit- that guy really gets it. Should be an interesting convention... finally Democrats are using some of the aggressive tactics similar to the GOP (Lieberman at the RNC convention, etc).

Opiate

ToxicAdam

Mitt already backs Paul Ryan's plan, might as well go all the way.

It's probably a better choice than Portman or Generic Republican Female #212.

Opiate

I like how many of these Republicans who say that Obama has never had a real job despite working in law and being a law professor have JDs.

I think it's fairly obvious that to them, the "real world" is exclusively for profit business. Being a professor does not count, because our university system isn't a business (most of our best universities, including Harvard, are non profit); being a community organizer does not count because it's volunteer work; being a politician does not count because it, too, is not a for profit business.

If someone else has another explanation for this behavior, I'm all ears, but this is the logical conclusion I come to, the common thread which unites Obama's career; he has not worked for a for-profit business, but he's worked for virtually every other type of organization, be it volunteer, non profit, or governmental.

If you claim that such a person has never worked in the "real world," then one logically concludes that you equate the "real world" with "for profit business."

Tim-E

I, for one, would love to see them take on Ryan, making "Medicare vouchers" become something Romney has to talk about and defend until election day.

I will say this about Paul Ryan. He is less of an unknown than Sarah Palin and is already more tested on the national stage.

Also, him being VP and then Romney losing would be incredible, if only to get him out of my house seat!

ToxicAdam

One or two points in Ohio could be a big deal.

I don't buy that at all. Portman's effect will be regional at best.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/politic...-popular-in-cincy-but-still-not-widely-known/

The poll shows that Portman is popular in Cincinnati, where 54 percent of respondents said they had a favorable view of him. In other areas of the state, his ratings range from 38 percent favorable (Columbus) to 16 percent (Youngstown).

Of the 613 voters surveyed, 32 percent of Ohio voters had a favorable opinion of the Terrace Park Republican. But a quarter—25 percent—had no opinion about Portman. And another 28 percent said they had never heard of Ohio’s junior senator.

This was a GOP commisioned poll.

I follow politics, live in Ohio and I had no idea who this guy was (his background, not his name) until I had to look into him because of this election.

I mean, you're right. If we have a race that mirrors Bush/Gore .. a guy like Portman could potentially play some part. But, I don't think this race is trending that way.

Chumly

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/politic...-popular-in-cincy-but-still-not-widely-known/

I follow politics, live in Ohio and I had no idea who this guy was (his background, not his name) until I had to look into him because of this election.
I don't buy it either. Being literally the most generic guy out there who would say anything mitt says isn't going to help votes in Ohio.

Clevinger

People always say "people don't know him," but doesn't that change with the announcement and the convention? Nobody knew who Palin was and she became a superstar overnight. I don't think Portman would necessarily be anywhere as popular, but as the media focuses on him and the GOP hypes him up he'll be fine. Then again, I haven't paid that much attention to VPs before Palin, so I don't really know.

Tim-E

Ryan's already on the ballot for his House seat, isn't he? I had assumed that since he's probably already filed all the paperwork necessary for that seat that if he got on the ticket as VP he would still be on the House ballot in his district. I may be wrong, though.

Mike M

Nick N
I steadfastly refuse to believe that Romney's campaign would cave and go with Ryan as a VP. I cannot fathom how they could ever reach the conclusion that inextricably intertwining themselves even more than they already have with the Ryan budget will be a beneficial move in the general election.

Ryan's already on the ballot for his House seat, isn't he? I had assumed that since he's probably already filed all the paperwork necessary for that seat that if he got on the ticket as VP he would still be on the House ballot in his district. I may be wrong, though.

I don't think you need to be removed from the ticket. Didn't Biden stay on the ticket for his senate seat then it went to an apointee when he won?

ToxicAdam

People always say "people don't know him," but doesn't that change with the announcement and the convention? Nobody knew who Palin was and she became a superstar overnight. I don't think Portman would necessarily be anywhere as popular, but as the media focuses on him and the GOP hypes him up he'll be fine. Then again, I haven't paid that much attention to VPs before Palin, so I don't really know.

I agree that people will get to know the guy and might then be swayed to support a local, but his back story is not compelling. Especially when compared to Sarah Palin. If you can disregard what you now know of the woman, if you just read her bio previous to 2008, it was a pretty remarkable career/story. One that gelled pretty well with the career that John McCain had.

Portman was a lawyer then a house rep (from one of the politically safest districts in Ohio). Never really made any kind of waves while in office and then lucked into being the hand-picked heir apparent to Voinovich when he retired. He has only been a Senator for 2 years.

Tim-E

Part of Palin's appeal was that she could relate well enough with people and people felt like she was one of them. Portman is another old white guy politician.

LosDaddie

Banned
Romney's welfare ad is running a lot here in Central FL. At least during the Olympics (all I've been watching lately), that is.

If someone else has another explanation for this behavior, I'm all ears, but this is the logical conclusion I come to, the common thread which unites Obama's career; he has not worked for a for-profit business, but he's worked for virtually every other type of organization, be it volunteer, non profit, or governmental.

If you claim that such a person has never worked in the "real world," then one logically concludes that you equate the "real world" with "for profit business."

I think you got it correct. I believe this is also why we see most (?) conservatives on GAF claim either to be business owners, or extremely successful.

If Mitt Romney wants to change perceptions that he’s out of touch with the average American, he might want to try a little harder.

In an attempt to show his concern for farmers hit by the devastating drought that has swept 78 percent of the country, Romney had a photo-op with Iowa “farmer” Lemar Koethe.
However, Koethe isn’t exactly the rugged down-home farmer struggling to keep his operation going that you might expect.

Or should I say operations — 54 of them. Yes, according to the Des Moines Register, Koethe owns 54 soy and corn farms. And that’s just one of his jobs.
In previous reports on his activity over the years from the Des Moines Register, Koethe is also a described as a millionaire, a real estate mogul, and a former concert promoter who booked acts like Slipknot at his 24,000 square foot event center.
Making this farmer’s life that much different from the average person, Koethe lives in the spaceship house pictured below. It might not have a car elevator like Romney’s planned home, but it’s got its own car wash bay and recreation center:

Here’s how the home was described by the Environmental Design Group:
Arguably one of the most distinctive homes in Iowa-if not the nation-this personal residence takes unique architecture to a new level. It contains an underground garage equipped for multiple vehicles, as well as a car wash bay. The lower level also contains a large recreation center with an art display area. Grade-level entry provides access to the elevator and a spiral staircase rising 35 feet to the main living area. The main level provides an amazing panoramic view of the area.
Not your typical farmhouse.

Finally, according to figures from the EWG Farm Subsidies database, Koethe has received $130,575 in conservation payments from the federal government. Conservation payments, which add up to about $5 billion in federal spending each year, are typically used by the government to encourage farmers not to grow crops — sometimes to stabilize prices and sometimes to preserve land.
Like a lot of people in the agricultural sector, Koethe says the drought is hurting some of his crops. Ultimately, when it comes to voicing his concerns, it shouldn’t matter if the man owns one farm, 10 farms, or 54 farms — he’s taking a hit like everyone else.

But really, Romney? Out of the hundreds of thousands of farmers being impacted by the drought — many of them family farmers struggling to keep their heads above water — you had to meet the millionaire real estate mogul who lives in a spaceship house with an underground car wash and recreation center?
Add another example to the list of “out of touch” Romney moments during this campaign.

I'm almost inclined to believe that he's accepted the fact that he's going to lose

Wilsongt

I'm almost inclined to believe that he's accepted the fact that he's going to lose

Well, of course Romney wouldn't hang around lowly, real farmers. They're too dirty for him. He'd have to go bathe himself in antibacterial soap in his gold-plated hot tub in his tour bus after that.

I think it's fairly obvious that to them, the "real world" is exclusively for profit business. Being a professor does not count, because our university system isn't a business (most of our best universities, including Harvard, are non profit); being a community organizer does not count because it's volunteer work; being a politician does not count because it, too, is not a for profit business.

Obama had a job as a business writer for a short period. So not only did Obama have a private sector job, he spent his time at that job literally learning about and writing about business.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/30/us/politics/30obama.html?pagewanted=all

As with everything else about Obama, his detractors will ignore such facts or downplay them. But it is a out-right lie to say Obama has 'absolutely no private sector experience' or 'knows nothing about business'.

RDreamer

Priebus likens birthers to the people asking for tax returns

HOST: Is this a good message for a guy still a birther and still calling for the president to release his college transcripts?
PRIEBUS: I have been from the very moment very clear as far as where I stand on that issue. It’s just as much of a distraction as it is for people to ask for more and more tax returns and all of these other issues. The fact of the matter is, this election is coming down to one thing, are people better off today than three or four years ago?

Guevara

Ok so now the Wall Street Journal has an editorial called "Why Not Ryan?" Am I the only one not taking crazy pills? Why would Ryan hitch his future to a 'losing' campaign?

The whispering over Mitt Romney's choice of a running mate is getting louder, and along with it we are being treated to the sotto voce angst of the GOP establishment: Whatever else Mitt does, he wouldn't dare pick Wisconsin Congressman Paul Ryan, would he?

Too risky, goes the Beltway chorus. His selection would make Medicare and the House budget the issue, not the economy. The 42-year-old is too young, too wonky, too, you know, serious. Beneath it all you can hear the murmurs of the ultimate Washington insult—that Mr. Ryan is too dangerous because he thinks politics is about things that matter. That dude really believes in something, and we certainly can't have that.

All of which highly recommend him for the job.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443404004577577190186374230.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom