• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I know . . . but why did New bring it up? I guess he may have said 'coffee' by accident and then realized the mistake & backtracked. I just wonder if it was another backhanded smack at Romney who Newt clearly doesn't like.

Oh it was full on properly thought out megatroll.

I am still amazed that Romney actually is 'asking for a truce'. It's akin to a bully who picks on the wrong kid, kid fights back, and the bully asks him to be nice.

Drek

I actually wonder now if any of the other primary candidates would actually be doing better than Romney at this point.

Huntsman would be crushing right now.

Had a clear specific topic everyone would rally around, tax reform, with a real plan already emerging early in the primaries. Moderate conservative, understands international relations (foreign ambassador to two countries, one of them being China), has a record as a job creator from his time as governor that he could really run on. No hot button issue that completely sinks him (Bain for example).

He was basically the perfect anti-Obama candidate as the base would be forced to accept his moderate stances on climate change and civil/moral topics because his fiscal policies make him a far better candidate than Obama. It wouldn't even be much more (if any) of a "pinch your nose and vote" hurdle for the base as voting for Romney is going to be.

Huntsman would be crushing right now.

Had a clear specific topic everyone would rally around, tax reform, with a real plan already emerging early in the primaries. Moderate conservative, understands international relations (foreign ambassador to two countries, one of them being China), has a record as a job creator from his time as governor that he could really run on. No hot button issue that completely sinks him (Bain for example).

He was basically the perfect anti-Obama candidate as the base would be forced to accept his moderate stances on climate change and civil/moral topics because his fiscal policies make him a far better candidate than Obama. It wouldn't even be much more (if any) of a "pinch your nose and vote" hurdle for the base as voting for Romney is going to be.

What? Huntsman would be DOA even more than Romney because the base wouldn't be supporting him AT. ALL.

I usually don't like the whole "wimp" aspect that gets brought up during elections, mostly because it feeds right into the idea that presidents have to bomb some country back to the stone age just to show that they're tough enough for the job.

But in this case? Sheesh. If Romney wants to talk about the issues why doesn't he just go ahead and bring some up?

RDreamer

What? Huntsman would be DOA even more than Romney because the base wouldn't be supporting him AT. ALL.

You really think the base would vote for Obama or sit out on their chance to beat him? No, they'd vote for Hunstman just as much as Romney. Romney's stances and past make him toxic and completely confusing to independents. Hunstman, I think, would have won a lot of them over. Sure his base may not have been as riled, but it'd be made up for by Huntsman not fucking up every 3 seconds like Romney has been.

Gruco

Banned
Has Romney offered an even paper-thin comprehensible reason for why he won't release his taxes? He's said quite specifically that he has nothing to hide, so then, what's the excuse? It's just irrelevant and nobody should care so I'm ignoring on principle?

Clevinger

Has Romney offered an even paper-thin comprehensible reason for why he won't release his taxes? He's said quite specifically that he has nothing to hide, so then, what's the excuse? It's just irrelevant and nobody should care so I'm ignoring on principle?

"It will give Democrats more to attack me on." That's pretty much his whole defense.

Dram

And then there's this:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/02/13/grover-norquist-speech-cpac.html

Norquist: Romney Will Do As Told

All we have to do is replace Obama. ... We are not auditioning for fearless leader. We don't need a president to tell us in what direction to go. We know what direction to go. We want the Ryan budget. ... We just need a president to sign this stuff. We don't need someone to think it up or design it. The leadership now for the modern conservative movement for the next 20 years will be coming out of the House and the Senate.

The requirement for president?

Pick a Republican with enough working digits to handle a pen to become president of the United States. This is a change for Republicans: the House and Senate doing the work with the president signing bills. His job is to be captain of the team, to sign the legislation that has already been prepared.

Maybe he's worried we'd find out there were some tax avoidance schemes he might have missed, and that would mean he lacks the wits for the job. You can't be president unless you do whatever it takes to avoid paying into society. Or so I've heard.

Norquist said:
Pick a Republican with enough working digits to handle a pen to become president of the United States. This is a change for Republicans: the House and Senate doing the work with the president signing bills. His job is to be captain of the team, to sign the legislation that has already been prepared.
Sounds more like a cheerleader than a team captain. And now the Bush years make more sense.

RDreamer

I really really hate Norquist. Like, I passionately hate that guy to the point that I think I would seriously consider punching him if I ever saw him in real life. Honestly I think I'll be happy when that idiotic troll finally croaks. Not that I actively wish death upon anyone, since I'm sure outside of politics he might be a great dude, but I just don't see any other way he'll stop completely plaguing our political system with his idiocy.

Even though he's pretty moderate, Huntsman is still a republican. Dude backed Ryan's budget.
If he endorsed Obama he'd probably do so from the viewpoint that Romney is a fuck-up and would be disastrous for foreign policy. Huntsman's position with the Obama administration was as ambassador to China so it wouldn't be too hard a sell from him.

And if he ends up running for something as a Democrat one day, he can walk it back by saying "I thought this alternative sounded like a good idea, but we've seen the positive effects of Obamanomics and I'm convinced."

I'm not going to lie, when I read posts like this, I have to wonder why there aren't more Democrats in the world.

Dram

CNN and TIME suspend Fareed Zakaria for plagiarism

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2012/08/cnn-suspends-fareed-zakaria-for-plagiarism-131695.html?hp=l1_b2
CNN has joined Time Magazine and suspended Fareed Zakaria following his admission of plagiarism.

"We have reviewed Fareed Zakaria’s TIME column, for which he has apologized," CNN said in a written statement. "He wrote a shorter blog post on CNN.com on the same issue which included similar unattributed excerpts. That blog post has been removed and CNN has suspended Fareed Zakaria while this matter is under review."

Time Magazine suspended Zakaria earlier this afternoon after he admitted to plagiarizing an April article about the National Rifle Association by New Yorker staff writer Jill Lepore.

"TIME accepts Fareed's apology, but what he did violates our own standards for our columnists, which is that their work must not only be factual but original; their views must not only be their own but their words as well," Ali Zelenko, Time's SVP of Communications, said in a statement. "As a result, we are suspending Fareed's column for a month, pending further review."

Dartastic

Well he already has it from the left and middle

newsweek_cover_romney_120730_480x360.jpg
That can't be real, can it?

pigeon

Banned
I'm not going to lie, when I read posts like this, I have to wonder why there aren't more Democrats in the world.

The post actually more or less explains the core Republican strategy -- the only reason this guy identifies as a Republican is that he's pro-life. (And he "believes in the free enterprise system," as if Democrats don't.)

How in the hell can any self respecting person still identify as Republican is beyond me. What he wrote was good and all, but the fact that he's too chikenshit to cut ties of being associated with a bunch of out of touch, selfish businessman leaves a lot to be desired

Tamanon

Banned
Why are Dems so excited about Huntsman maybe running again? He's not liberal or even centrist. He's pretty far to the right. He's for the elimination of Capital Gains tax, lowering the top rate to 23 percent eliminating Alternative Minimum Tax.

He's just a little more sane on social issues.

Yea this is disappointing. Imagine this stuff goes on more than we see because of the turn around on these columns is so quick when responding to current events.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Why are Dems so excited about Huntsman maybe running again? He's not liberal or even centrist. He's pretty far to the right. He's for the elimination of Capital Gains tax, lowering the top rate to 23 percent eliminating Alternative Minimum Tax.

He's just a little more sane on social issues.

Many many people vote on social issues first.

Many many people vote on social issues first.

But how does that explain dems wanting him to run? He's not to the left of dems on those social issues and he's still behind on things like gay marriage and being pro-choice (this one I understand is not as black and white but I'm more referring to GAF who are overwhelmingly pro-choice).

Guevara

But how does that explain dems wanting him to run? He's not to the left of dems on those social issues and he's still behind on things like gay marriage and being pro-choice (this one I understand is not as black and white but I'm more referring to GAF who are overwhelmingly pro-choice).

Dems won't win every election. When they lose, I'd rather a reasonable Rep win than a crazy person.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!

Dems won't win every election. When they lose, I'd rather a reasonable Rep win than a crazy person.

What guevara said. And also, a lot of dems are soft liberals who still might "cling to their guns and religions"

He's much better on gay marriage than many Republicans and quite a few Democrats.

I'm sure if he did run again as a Democrat he would move to the left/center, but with him it wouldn't be as sharp a contrast between his old and new positions.

The main thing though is I'd want him to run as a Democrat for UT-SEN simply because he and Jim Matheson are the only "Democrats" who could win there. If you can run as a Democrat in Utah and win, you deserve props no matter how conservative you are.

He's much better on gay marriage than many Republicans and quite a few Democrats.

I'm sure if he did run again as a Democrat he would move to the left/center, but with him it wouldn't be as sharp a contrast between his old and new positions.

The main thing though is I'd want him to run as a Democrat for UT-SEN simply because he and Jim Matheson are the only "Democrats" who could win there. If you can run as a Democrat in Utah and win, you deserve props no matter how conservative you are.

He's not changed his positions. He's not a democrat. He's a republican whose had his base move from him. Where is there any motive to run as a democrat? He's not Arlen Specter who did not share many of the orthodox beliefs of his party (he supported Affirmative Action, voted against giving millionaires tax cuts in the 90s, somewhat pro-union, etc).

I'd rather have him running in the republican party than the current tea party crazies but why on earth would you cheer for him running as a dem. Are people that nostalgic for the GOP of 90s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom