• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some Ohio GOP not feeling the Ryan pick

CLEVELAND -- No one wants to admit it openly, but here in Ohio, one of the top battleground states, the reaction to the choice of Paul Ryan is disappointment by Republicans and relief by Democrats. Both sides believed that to secure Ohio's 18 electoral votes, Romney would have been better off picking Ohio Sen. Rob Portman.

No vice-presidential pick can guarantee his home state. But one influential Republican strategist, who voiced his dismay only on background, told National Journal on Saturday that Portman could have added between 1.5 and two points for Romney in Ohio -- and Ryan could make it harder to win here.

Some Republicans fear that Ryan's controversial plans to overhaul Medicare will be a tough sell to Ohio's blue-collar voters. "I'm shocked," said the strategist. "Why would you put them into play? Why would you put Florida into play?"

According to Democrats here, the most relieved person in the state is Sen. Sherrod Brown, who is in a tough battle for a second term. Portman on the ticket would have made that fight even more difficult.

Longtime Democratic strategist Jerry Austin saw no help for Romney in Ohio from Ryan. Romney, he said, "picked a person he would have hired at Bain" rather than somebody who will appeal to Ohio's voters.

Still, Austin said Democrats here would have been ready for Portman and were prepared to link him in voters' minds to George W. Bush, whom he served as U.S. Trade Representative and director of the Office of Management and Budget. Now, though, they will never get the chance.

http://decoded.nationaljournal.com/2012/08/in-ohio-gop-disappointment-ove.php#.UCahma8Zw4c.twitter

Tim-E

I seriously don't see Romney winning Florida after this. Romney could win Nevada, Colorado, Iowa, Wisconsin, Ohio, Virginia, and North Carolina and still lose if he doesn't get Florida.

Just typing that made me realize how fucked this electoral map is for Romney. And all he's doing is pandering to the right.

I will say this: if the subtitle is, as it usually is, something clowning republicans, please don't bitch about their absence in the thread.

Clevinger

I seriously don't see Romney winning Florida after this. Romney could win Nevada, Colorado, Iowa, Wisconsin, Ohio, Virginia, and North Carolina and still lose if he doesn't get Florida.

Just typing that made me realize how fucked this electoral map is for Romney. And all he's doing is pandering to the right.

counterpoint: unlimited superpac cash to mislead people in Florida on

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Psshhh. 5 people total will look at the OP. Even less will care about what the lame pun involved in the subtitle is. Of course, I am the guy who refuses to argue semantics, optics, or other garbage.

I don't disagree with the people ignoring the OP. That's true. But you argue garbage all the time, or you have no business in a politics thread. Can't be both.

Someone texted the news of the Ryan pick to me at a bar last night and I spent the rest of the evening trying to figure out if I was being pranked because I didn't think there was any way that would actually happen.

Good grief.

Opiate

I would actually strongly prefer we try not to be overtly hostile to Republicans in the OT title.

It doesn't mean you have to agree with them, or even consider their opinions worthy of respect. I feel that the overwhelmingly liberal majority of the thread is enough of an advantage without having to kick them while they're down to boot.

If the goal is to have a debate with the hopes of learning and/or convincing others, that is. If the goal is simply to feel awesome about the beliefs we already have, then we've done a fantastic job of insulating our community.

GhaleonEB

I know veep picks generally matter little, but part of me was nervous Romney would make a wise pick. If I had my preference - my preference being to damage the GOP ticket - Paul Ryan would be near the top of my list.

I think Biden will hit him hard during the debates about the fairness of his budget choices, and Obama and Dems will tether everything from Ryan's Social Security privatization bill to his current budget to Romney, particularly in Florida. Any residual nervousness I had about the Romney ticket is rapidly dissipating.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I would actually strongly prefer we try not to be overtly hostile to Republicans in the OT title.

It doesn't mean you have to agree with them, or even consider their opinions worthy of respect. I feel that the overwhelmingly liberal majority of the thread is enough of an advantage without having to kick them while they're down to boot.

If the goal is to have a debate with the hopes of learning and/or convincing others, that is. If the goal is simply to feel awesome about the beliefs we already have, then we've done a fantastic job of insulating our community.

I don't think there's a regular here that doesn't completely agree. Other than silly submissions, do you see anyone seriously advocating open hostility to conservative members of GAF? I don't.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I know veep picks generally matter little, but part of me was nervous Romney would make a wise pick. If I had my preference - my preference being to damage the GOP ticket - Paul Ryan would be near the top of my list.

I think Biden will hit him hard during the debates about the fairness of his budget choices, and Obama and Dems will tether everything from Ryan's Social Security privatization bill to his current budget to Romney, particularly in Florida. Any residual nervousness I had about the Romney ticket is rapidly dissipating.

The best part about this cycle is that there were literally zero (0, none, nada, zilch) wise picks that were willing to take the job if offered.

What do you think a wise pick would have been? I think he should have gone as bland as possible (i.e. Pawlenty).

This is why Obama has no shot. A black president has never been reelected.
I've missed you.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
PoliGAF |OT3| Three Men and a Baby

PoliGAF |OT3| A Protestant, a Mormon, and two Catholics walk into a bar

PoliGAF |OT3| Run Up to the Conventions

PoliGAF |OT3| SuperPACs win, We All Lose

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Poligaf |OT| Delegates, Delegates, Delegates

Add a 4th, and it sounds good, after all it's what the next few months curtails.
Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers

Chichikov

This is why Obama has no shot. A black president has never been reelected.
TNrkB.jpg

I hope you are right.

zargle

I think he will be fine in a debate against Biden. He has had to defend his budget countless times over the past year or two and from the accounts I have read from some reporters he is pretty smart and quick with answers. However, i think you're right on them tethering everything to his budget and that will hurt.

DasRaven

I was just about to make this and upon first GIS for Rolls Royce, this popped up.
attachment.php

And this was on a conservative's website no less. Nothing says "f you, I got mine" like a Rolls.

Romney endorses next Virginia GOP governor, then, uh, doesn't.

Mitt Romney's campaign awkwardly backpedaled Saturday after the presumptive Republican presidential nominee waded into a contentious GOP primary fight in Virginia during his second campaign event alongside his new running mate Paul Ryan.

Speaking at a rally in Ashland, a picturesque town just north of Richmond, Romney described Virginia Lieutenant Governor Bill Bolling, who was in attendance, as "a great friend, and I hope the next governor of Virginia."

The remarks caught the attention of Virginia politicos who know that Bolling is running for the 2013 gubernatorial nomination against state Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli, a darling of conservative activists who is trouncing Bolling in early polling.

Romney and his aides tried to walk back the comments after the event.

Speaking to an overflow crowd after the Ashland rally, Romney talked about the need to elect a Republican governor in 2013 and said: "There are a couple of guys in the race, I love them both. I want to see one of those guys take his place."

Separately, a Romney adviser told CNN that while Romney "wants to see a Republican as governor of Virginia, he has not endorsed in the primary."

Seriously, can this guy not have ONE conviction that he sticks by even if he gets a little pushback? Just one is all I'm asking. I don't see how you can be a leader like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom