• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Reince Priebus was horrible on MTP... nothing but lies and avoidance. Walker isn't much better.

Just to clarify, can you classify a time where he was on TV and not horrible?

Loudninja

Thune: A Romney-Ryan Ticket Is A Risk To Obama
South Dakota Sen. John Thune insisted that Paul Ryan was not a risky pick for Mitt Romney on CNN’s “State of the Union” Sunday, instead arguing that it’s President Obama who is now at risk. Thune argued that Obama has “kicked the can down the road” whereas the Romney-Ryan ticket has “actually laid out definitive solutions and answers to America’s problems.”
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entries/thune-romney-ryan-ticket-is-risk-to-obama

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I agree.

This should be, by far, the most broadcast statistic and talking point for the entire democratic party.

*Paul Ryan talking about his budget in the background*

Show how much Mitt made, then show that tax rate. Show how much the average American makes, then show their tax rate.

Seems like a very easy commercial to make.

It writes itself practically. I'm still shocked that out of all the candidates, Romney picked Ryan. I mean, it goes against a lot of what Romney has been saying publicly for the past year. One of the two of them will need to change their positions on things, or they will be at odds with each other. I have a feeling Romney will just change his position like he has a habit of doing to suit the situation, which Obama will jump all over of course.

Loudninja

Romney Campaign Requested 'Several' Years of Tax Returns of VP Contenders
CHARLOTTE - Mitt Romney requested "several" years of tax returns from his potential running mates, a senior adviser to the candidate said Saturday, suggesting that those considered for the ticket may have been required to reveal more financial documents that the candidate himself.

In a briefing with reporters in Virginia Saturday, senior adviser Beth Myers, who was charged with headed the vice president selection process, declined to specify exactly how many years of tax returns were required, saying only that "several" were requested.
http://news.yahoo.com/romney-campai...-returns-vp-124514448--abc-news-politics.html

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
On Face the Nation, Stephanie Cutter just pointed out that Romney would pay less than 1% in taxes under Ryan's plan.

People need to hear this every day until the election.

Clevinger

Has Romney said anything about lowering or eliminating capital gains taxes like Ryan does in his budget?

I think he cuts it in his plan, just not anywhere close to zero. Gingrich wanted to lower it to zero in the primary and in the debate Romney was all like, "You do know that I wouldn't pay anything in taxes if you did that right?"

the old man is right, spending a life time paying taxes into the system to see a punk like Ryan threaten to kill social programs that are expected in a western civilization.

You know, I don't know why older folks that seem to vote republican don't get more upset over this. The old man is right, these people have paid into this system their whole lives, and now someone wants to dismantle it. Fact is, the country and the government made a promise to these people by taking their money, check after check, year after year. Destroying that system that people have paid into their whole lives is the biggest slap in the face I can think of.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
You know, I don't know why older folks that seem to vote republican don't get more upset over this. The old man is right, these people have paid into this system their whole lives, and now someone wants to dismantle it. Fact is, the country and the government made a promise to these people by taking their money, check after check, year after year. Destroying that system that people have paid into their whole lives is the biggest slap in the face I can think of.
That's why their proposals exempt current participants so they can go "fuck you I've got mine" with them.

Clevinger

Ryan (sort of) weasels out of that because his plan doesn't affect current Medicare recipients. It just affects every generation after this one.

However, there are lots and lots of people paying into it now that will be fucked over when they're elderly, so your point remains true. But if Ryan and co can fully explain this to the current elderly, they may tap into their potent "Fuck you, I've got mine" stream of thought.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Romney changed his stance on etch-a-sketching for the general campaign.

Romney changed his position on the ticket order while introducing Ryan, then changed it back.

Brinbe

Christ, this campaign is a mess. Now Gillespie is saying Romney would have signed the Ryan budget. So, embrace Ryan's budget, then pick him, then release something say "no no no that's not my budget," and now "yeah totally I would have signed it!" They want everything both ways. They want their cake and to eat it, too.
Such a terribly-run campaign... they're already fucking up what should be a guaranteed week of good positive buzz.

Ryan (sort of) weasels out of that because his plan doesn't affect current Medicare recipients. It just affects every generation after this one.

However, there are lots and lots of people paying into it now that will be fucked over when they're elderly, so your point remains true. But if Ryan and co can fully explain this to the current elderly, they may tap into their potent "Fuck you, I've got mine" stream of thought.

Well, most old people have kids or grandkids that they actually don't want to fuck over. "I've got mine for me and my family" is inherent even in the "Fuck you, I've got mine" mentality.

Dismantling Medicare is completely toxic politically, no two ways about it.

0.82% should be the number Democrats talk about from now until election day. If that's not going to make the majority of America say "WTF", I'm not sure what will. If Romney is still elected despite this, I'm not sure what to say. It'd be worse than Bush in 2004.

Apropos of this:

It so happens that this summer the Internal Revenue Service released data from the 400 individual income tax returns reporting the highest adjusted gross income. This elite ultrarich group earned on average $202 million in 2009, the latest year available. And buried in the data is the startling disclosure that six of the 400 paid no federal income tax.

The I.R.S. has never before disclosed that last fact.

Not even Mr. Romney, with reported 2010 income of $21.7 million, qualifies for membership in this select group of 400. But the data provides a window into the financial lives and tax rates of the superrich. Since the I.R.S. doesn’t release data for the tiny percentage of Americans at Mr. Romney’s income level, the 400 are the closest proxy.

And that data demonstrates that many of the ultrarich can and do reduce their tax liability to very low levels, even zero. Besides the six who paid no federal income tax, the I.R.S. reported that 27 paid from zero to 10 percent of their adjusted gross incomes and another 89 paid between 10 and 15 percent, which is close to the 13.9 percent rate that Mr. Romney disclosed that he paid in 2010. (At the other end of the spectrum, 82 paid 30 to 35 percent. None paid more than 35 percent.) So more than a quarter of the people earning an average of over $200 million in 2009 paid less than 15 percent of their adjusted gross income in taxes....

The data show that the ultrarich typically pay low tax rates every year, but 2009 was a special case. In 2008, people with large stock portfolios and other less liquid assets were disproportionately hit with large losses on paper. One of the oddities of the tax code is that capital gains taxes are discretionary, since they must be paid only when gains are realized. And they can be offset by losses. The silver lining in a bad year like 2008 for wealthy people is that they can “harvest” losses by selling assets, then use those losses to offset any gains. They can also carry forward the losses to offset gains in future years.

There’s ample evidence that happened in 2009 among the richest taxpayers. Their average income, $202 million, dropped from $270 million in 2008 and was the lowest since 2004. Like Mr. Romney in 2010, for the richest taxpayers most income comes from capital gains and other investment income. Their net capital gains (the data doesn’t include gross gains and losses) dropped by nearly 40 percent, from an average of $154 million in 2008 to $93 million in 2009, which accounts for nearly all of their drop in total income. Even with these lower gains, these 400 taxpayers, a minuscule fraction of the population at large, still managed to account for 16 percent of all capital gains. That is the highest percentage since the data was first released for 1992, when that percentage was less than 6 percent.

Tax experts I consulted said these results almost certainly reflected aggressive use of tax-loss carry-forwards from 2008, since the stock market bottomed in March 2009 and rallied strongly during the rest of the year.

The superrich also accounted for a disproportionate amount of dividend income, which averaged over $26 million for the top 400, or over 6 percent of total dividend income, also a record. Capital gains and dividends are both taxed at a maximum rate of 15 percent, as opposed to the maximum rate on earned income of 35 percent, which helps explain why so many of the superrich pay a relatively low rate. ...

What’s abundantly clear, both from Mr. Romney’s 2010 returns and from the returns of the top 400, is that at the very pinnacle of taxpayers, the United States has a regressive tax system. The top 400 earn more than 1 percent of all income in the United States, more than double their share in 1992. These 400 earned a total of $81 billion in 2009 — but paid an average tax rate of just 19.9 percent.

“It’s regressive because capital gains and dividends dominate the top returns and are taxed at a preferential rate,” Professor Kleinbard said. ...​

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/11/b...lues-to-romneys-tax-returns-common-sense.html

XenodudeX

Christ, this campaign is a mess. Now Gillespie is saying Romney would have signed the Ryan budget. So, embrace Ryan's budget, then pick him, then release something say "no no no that's not my budget," and now "yeah totally I would have signed it!" They want everything both ways. They want their cake and to eat it, too.
tumblr_m5tc9lQzRi1rxlmf0o1_400.gif

This fucking campaign man.

Apropos of this:

It so happens that this summer the Internal Revenue Service released data from the 400 individual income tax returns reporting the highest adjusted gross income. This elite ultrarich group earned on average $202 million in 2009, the latest year available. And buried in the data is the startling disclosure that six of the 400 paid no federal income tax.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/11/b...lues-to-romneys-tax-returns-common-sense.html

No income tax paid.

Loudninja

McCain: Obama Attacks Succeeding At Painting Romney As Unacceptable
In 2008, this president and the people around him promised hope and change, a new environment in Washington,” McCain said. “And now it’s probably deteriorated into the most negative, most unpleasant, most disgraceful campaign that I have ever observed, and I’ve been intimately involved in them since 1984.”

“I’ve got to give them credit, they have succeeded to a certain degree, of painting — with nothing but attack ads — Mitt Romney into something that’s not an acceptable alternative, because he can’t run on his record,” McCain continued.
“Clearly the president should denounce an ad that paints a good and decent man — Governor Mitt Romney, who he may disagree with — into a person who is responsible for a man’s wife’s death. I don’t know how you get worse than that,” McCain said. “Again, it makes me sad more than angry.”

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2...painting-mitt-romney-unacceptable.php?ref=fpa

I love it hahaha.

You really got to be kidding me with this garbage.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hahahaha, I'm watching The Distinguished Gentleman for the first time, its scary how relevent the movie is even today. Its like a revers Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom