• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Gingrich and T-Paw said both Mittens and Ryan's lack of foreign policy experience is a GOOD thing.

T-Paw even cited Romney's record at Bain as counting as foreign policy.

WHY IS THIS REALITY?!

Dude, nobody is more expert on foreign banking and taxes than Willard 'Mitt' Romney. Also financial espionage and covert overseas bookkeeping.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I hope some of you appreciate this. It's from Private Eye, a venerable British institution/satirical magazine.

azxyliocyaaevjxhge8x.jpg

Political News Personality question: Wasn't Mary Katharine Ham originally billed as a liberal back when she was on Fox News? I realize Fox News Liberal is a bit of an epitet but guys like Juan Williams never just outright joined other conservative media ventures without also being billed as the liberal voice when he made the move, did he? Or am I mis-remembering her/mistaking her for someone else? Because immediately after Fox she went to TownHall, and then HotAir.

Tim-E

I'm fully expecting Obama to have some Medicare ads going in Florida this week. If he can do what he did with Romney's experience and paint Ryan as THE GUY WHO WANTS TO DESTROY MEDICARE right away, it won't matter what Romney's responses are. Counteracting those claims by saying "we're the ones taking this issue seriously" Isn't going to fly.

5mil raised off the Paul Ryan vp pick according to Team Romney

oh and looks like Palin wont be at the RNC convention, haha

(Reuters) - Former vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin will not speak at the Republican nominating convention in Tampa later this month, she said in statement on Sunday.

"This year is a good opportunity for other voices to speak at the convention and I'm excited to hear them," Palin, who was Senator John McCain's running mate in the 2008 election, said in a statement on Gretawire, the blog of Fox News's Greta Van Susteren.

"Everything I said at the 2008 convention about then-candidate (Barack) Obama still stands today, and in fact the predictions made about the very unqualified and inexperienced community organizer's plans to 'fundamentally transform' our country are unfortunately coming true," Palin said.

She said she supports Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney and his running mate, Congressman Paul Ryan, and intends to focus on grassroots efforts to rally independents and the Republican base to elect Senate and House members "so a wise Congress is ready to work with our new president to get our country back on the right path."

On August 30 at the convention, Romney will formally accept the Republican nomination to challenge Democratic President Obama in the November 6 election. Among others, former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, McCain and South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley will address the convention.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/12/us-palin-convention-idUSBRE87B0PV20120812

Yup. There's a reason Ryan didn't go to Florida with Romney today

It can't be stressed enough that most senior citizens realize they're still alive, Obamacare hasn't killed their friends, and that they're paying less for prescription pills now. This is no longer 2010/2011 when people simply had no idea what was going to happen

Tim-E

QsSk3.png

Mitt absolutely NEEDS Florida to win. Give him every other swing state and he still loses. Obama has been aggressive and capable of controlling the narrative for months, I don't expect that to stop now. Obama will get nasty if he has to. He's not going to let this opening pass him by.

QsSk3.png

Mitt absolutely NEEDS Florida to win. Give him every other swing state and he still loses. Obama has been aggressive and capable of controlling the narrative for months, I don't expect that to stop now. Obama will get nasty if he has to. He's not going to let this opening pass him by.

Holy shit. I knew Mitt's path was extremely narrow but....O___O

Lol, Obama could just spend all his money in Florida and he'd still win.

Sorry Mittens. Your political ambitions end on November 6th

QsSk3.png

extra 1 ev if Obama can pull of Omaha again

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
QsSk3.png

Yeah, which really makes me puzzled as to why he chose Ryan.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
QsSk3.png

It really makes you wonder what they're thinking with the Ryan pick

Paches

QsSk3.png

billpaxtongameoveraliens.jpg

Republicans are claiming Ryan was picked weeks ago, but I see nothing to prove that's true. In fact, I'm seriously wondering whether they did any internal polling on Ryan's plan in Florida, NC, and other swing states.

Ohio republicans are bummed, and I'd imagine Florida republicans are even more bummed. Hopefully this means Alan West gets shit canned btw; that man should not be a United States representative.

Tim-E

Obviously you forgot Pennsylvania was a swing state.

Pretty sure it's likely R this time around. I heard that's why Romney stopped putting ad money into it; he's sure he's got it in the bag.

Republicans are claiming Ryan was picked weeks ago, but I see nothing to prove that's true. In fact, I'm seriously wondering whether they did any internal polling on Ryan's plan in Florida, NC, and other swing states.

Ohio republicans are bummed, and I'd imagine Florida republicans are even more bummed. Hopefully this means Alan West gets shit canned btw; that man should not be a United States representative.

There's no real way to verify that he was picked a few weeks ago, so they likely came up with that story to make it seem like he wasn't caving to the overwhelming calls of conservatives everywhere.

Paches

I always wonder what the populace is like in these district that elect certified psychos (Bachmann, West, etc...)

Pretty sure it's likely R this time around. I heard that's why Romney stopped putting ad money into it; he's sure he's got it in the bag.

You mean D?

The Technomancer

I'm still fairly lukewarm on the idea that Obama has a significant chance at Florida though. I guess it'll come down to the poll numbers over the next month or so.

I'm still fairly lukewarm on the idea that Obama has a significant chance at Florida though. I guess it'll come down to the poll numbers over the next month or so.

Good point. It's basically tied right now; if we see any movement one way or the other in the next month, we'll know what's up. That being said, Obama's potential/ceiling are better there now than they were a week ago.

Even if Obama loses Florida that chart has him losing Ohio (LOL) and a few other states he will most likely carry. Mitt pretty much needs a perfect win to get to 270. Looking at this it's amazing how the electoral map is shifting to the point where it'll be impossible for a republican to win the presidency with their current strategy in about 10 years. I imagine if they lose this election you'll see a shit ton of support for dropping the electoral college.

It's also amazing how much of the country's area can go red and still lose the election.

Tim-E

Even if Obama loses Florida that chart has him losing Ohio (LOL) and a few other states he will most likely carry. Mitt pretty much needs a perfect win to get to 270. Looking at this it's amazing how the electoral map is shifting to the point where it'll be impossible for a republican to win the presidency with their current strategy in about 10 years. I imagine if they lose this election you'll see a shit ton of support for dropping the electoral college.

It's also amazing how much of the country's area can go red and still lose the election.

Yeah, I don't expect Obama to lose Nevada, Iowa, or Ohio, I was just showing just how fucked the math is for Romney. Basically Obama only needs to win one or two swing states; Romney has to win next to all of them.

The Technomancer

Yeah, I don't expect Obama to lose Nevada, Iowa, or Ohio, I was just showing just how fucked the math is for Romney. Basically Obama only needs to win one or two swing states; Romney has to win next to all of them.

I also really hope people are overestimating how likely Ryan makes Wisconsin going red

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I asked this a million times before and none of you jerkbags ever responded.

Isn't there really one major master stroke argument that should destroy Romney/Ryan forever on medicare? And that argument being that if you give people the option of opting out of medicare to buy private insurance, won't that effect CURRENT RECIPIENTS because that means there's less people paying into the system?

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but I believe that's how this whole medicare funding thing works. Shouldn't this be a slam dunk that every Obama subordinate should be shouting from the rooftops?

GhaleonEB

I asked this a million times before and none of you jerkbags ever responded.

Isn't there really one major master stroke argument that should destroy Romney/Ryan forever on medicare? And that argument being that if you give people the option of opting out of medicare to buy private insurance, won't that effect CURRENT RECIPIENTS because that means there's less people paying into the system?

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but I believe that's how this whole medicare funding thing works. Shouldn't this be a slam dunk that every Obama subordinate should be shouting from the rooftops?

For me, the short version is: their plan does nothing to curb the rising cost of healthcare. It just pushes it from the government to recipients. It's a pure balloon squeeze, and in the end it's seniors get squeezed along with it.

RDreamer

For me, the short version is: their plan does nothing to curb the rising cost of healthcare. It just pushes it from the government to recipients. It's a pure balloon squeeze, and in the end it's seniors get squeezed along with it.

The magic fairy dust of the free market will of course curb costs, duh.

Tim-E

The magic fairy dust of the free market will of course curb costs, duh.

Just like with social services; we don't need the government to provide them, the good will of the American people will result in them overwhelmingly donating to charities enough to offset the losses from welfare programs being destroyed!

Holy shit, I never knew how large electoral college landslides were back in the day. Modern Presidential races don't come even close to Nixon, Reagan, Eisenhower, etc.

It wasn't a landslide. Complete and utter annihilation.

The Technomancer

Just like with social services; we don't need the government to provide them, the good will of the American people will result in them overwhelmingly donating to charities enough to offset the losses from welfare programs being destroyed!

Exactly! Those kind of charities are so plentiful and able to provide for the needs of the people that that's why we never had to set up government programs for all of these services in the first place!

Yep, that's exactly what it does. To curb health care costs, a buyer has to exert downward pressure on prices, which are currently being pushed upward by rent-seeking corporate entities taking advantage of the non-market that is human health.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

But Ryan wants to eliminate tax loopholes like charitable deductions. But yeah you're right, I am sure billionaires will donate to charities when there's zero deductions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom