• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seniors hating it makes no sense. 40-50 year olds are the ones who will bear the brunt.

But senior citizens don't make that distinction. Most don't look at the plan and say "ha, my kids will be fucked in 10 years. Oh well, at least I got mine." It's an unpopular plan with them, period.

My question is whether Ryan can sell it with an assist from the media, and whether seniors will side with Obama (whom they don't like) over the other guy.

Chichikov

Making people 55 and younger pay $6000 more per year for healthcare when they turn 65. Beautiful, ain't it?
65?
HiGeY.png

Ryan supports raising the retirement age.

RDreamer

Seniors hating it makes no sense. 40-50 year olds are the ones who will bear the brunt.

If a senior likes and uses a program wouldn't they logically want that program for the people they love? I just don't get the logic of "Welp, at least it doesn't screw me. Sucks to be them" in this instance. If the program is good, and seniors seem to think so, then they will want it to stay in place for their family. If the change is something they dislike, then logically their family wouldn't want it either.

Obama is outspent by a nice clear margin (heavens forbid, if he tries to campaign and raise some cash against Republicans' Citizens United superpac powermoney!!). He has to go with quality over quantity when it comes to ad. Each and every ad must be sharp as tack, rather than just reactionary or knee-jerk ads. In the end, I think Obama will prevail in the ad wars. It's sharp messaging vs deluge of nonsense and confusion.

Loudninja

Romney Camp Accuses Biden Of Using Racial ‘Code Word’
The Romney campaign is sounding the alarm over some hyperbolic language Vice President Joe Biden used on the trail — language that Republicans have also used.

In a Tuesday campaign speech, Biden likened Wall Street’s grip on average Americans to chains. “Romney wants to let the — he said the first 100 days — he’s gonna let the big banks once again write their own rules. Unchain Wall Street,” Biden said at an event in Danville, Va. “They gonna put y’all back in chains.”

The Romney campaign called the comments a “new low” in a press release. Former New Hampshire Gov. John Sununu decried the remark, which he said have racial undertones.

“Well, there’s going to be folks across the country that will try and take that as some kind of code word that is going to suggest that the Republicans are trying to be racial in their programs,” Sununu said. “That’s ridiculous. “

But the chain analogy is used relatively often by members of both parties.

Rick Santorum invoked chains last summer to warned Iowa voters that health care reform would lull citizens into government dependency. “They will put you in chains called ‘Obamacare,’ and you will never break away,” Santorum said.

Florida Rep. Allen West went a step further, likening Obama’s programs to slavery. “He does not want you to have the self-esteem of getting up and earning and having that title of American,” West said in July. “He’d rather you be his slave.”

RNC Chairman Reince Priebus, refused to condemn West’s comments at the time, but he tweeted his disapproval of Biden’s remark Tuesday.
http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/08/romney-biden-obama-chains.php?ref=fpa

But senior citizens don't make that distinction. Most don't look at the plan and say "ha, my kids will be fucked in 10 years. Oh well, at least I got mine." It's an unpopular plan with them, period.

My question is whether Ryan can sell it with an assist from the media, and whether seniors will side with Obama (whom they don't like) over the other guy.
If it's so unpopular, why do seniors have the most positive view of Ryan of all age groups?http://www.langerresearch.com/uploads/1127a37FavorabilityNo37.pdf

As noted, seniors are of interest given Ryan’s proposal to revamp Medicare with a system in which the government would give older Americans a fixed sum with which to buy insurance. They moved in Ryan’s favor, from a 28-28 percent favorable-unfavorable view prospectively to 46-28 percent this weekend.
and this?
http://www.gallup.com/poll/147287/Americans-Divided-Ryan-Obama-Deficit-Plans.aspx?version=print
Seniors favor Ryan's plan over Obama's.
Are there more recent polls?

RDreamer

Imagine had Romney or Ryan said this...

I don't really have to imagine it

Our first principle is freedom. If we remove the shackles of government, if we unburden ourselves from the mountain of debt that we have been saddled with, we can become the Opportunity Society that we once were.

Both sides go back and forth about being chained or shackled by government or by wall street or whatever. I don't really see the huge deal in the wording here.

So I remember reading Obama might invite some more moderate Republicans to speak at the DNC. What are the odds that Lugar is one of the folks they might march out there? He and Obama have a good working history from Obama's Senate days, and while they don't see eye to eye on everything, you have to think he's got a bit of an axe to grind after the GOP turned on him and primaried him out of his seat for not being conservative enough.

eznark

Banned
So I remember reading Obama might invite some more moderate Republicans to speak at the DNC. What are the odds that Lugar is one of the folks they might march out there? He and Obama have a good working history from Obama's Senate days, and while they don't see eye to eye on everything, you have to think he's got a bit of an axe to grind after the GOP turned on him and primaried him out of his seat for not being conservative enough.

hahahahahahahahaha

I'd pay to see that. What would he talk about? Opposing bailouts or his strong anti abortion/anti gay stance?

Opiate

Another great onion article:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/admit-it-i-scare-the-everloving-shit-out-of-you-do,29160/?ref=auto

I have another question for you: How scared are you that I can convince people I’m right? Because I’m good at it. No, I’m really good at it. You see, I know how to turn up the charm and charisma without putting people off. Then I back up what I’m saying with arguments that, when they come out of my mouth, sound completely accurate and well-reasoned. And I do it with such passion that people automatically recognize me as a man with deep convictions he will stand up for, no matter what.

I doubt it'll be Lugar. There have been some rumors that it'll be Jon Huntsman, or a former GOP senator like Chuck Hagel.

eznark

Banned
Is it because, even if you strongly disagree with my beliefs on Medicare, Social Security, women’s rights, and marriage equality, you know my talent as a speaker and my well-thought-out approach to these issues—no matter how radical and convoluted you find them—might just be enough to win over independent voters?

Do you get chills just thinking about how strong my appeal actually is?

77455_5_.jpg

GAF doth protest too much?

Tim-E

olol liberals need to be told what to think about comments that ultimately mean nothing, but man did you hear that Joe Biden said that Republicans want to bring back slavery?

Waiting for an oil change and decided read the local letters to the newspaper....... I wish I hadn't.....
Oh yeah, mine are hideous. I can't even read the local section of our newspaper anymore, it's all rich people talking about the poor are too lazy and if they had some skin in the game it'd be better and rich people are taxed too much, etc.

Farmboy

Ryan Sponsored Abortion Bill That Would Make Romney's Kids Criminals

In May, Romney's son Tagg became father of twin boys thanks to help from IVF and a surrogate mother. Tagg's son Jonathan was also produced this way. Two of Tagg's brothers reportedly have struggled with infertility issues and resorted to IVF as well. It's hard to imagine that Romney will score any points with voters by tapping a running mate whose anti-abortion views are so extreme that Romney's own kids can't live with them.

DynamicG

It was a reference to a HuffPo headline, Dad. I'm sorry.

Sad Ryan :(

Don't apologize son. They can smell that here. There's just so much weight on your shoulders. I think Bulbo is running out of gas.

Sorry if I missed a joke. I avoid Huffpo like the plague, even links to it.

sangreal

Romney's ad hitting Obama on Medicare

I do think it is important for Obama campaign to not let Romney get ahead of them on this debate. Even if the ads are blatant lies.

Yeah, that is a hard hitting ad and the Obama campaign has not been good on responding to this issue (not that it would stop Romney). It's ridiculous -- they aren't cuts, they're savings, and Ryan budget relies on them as well (unless Ryan comes up with $700b in other deficit cuts to offset the savings)

Wolf Blitzer is more offended by Biden than me. Should I be ashamed?

sangreal

I don't know why Seniors would care about Ryan's plan (which cuts $700b from medicare after repealing obamacare) -- it barely affects them. I sure as hell have a problem with Ryan's plan though

Yeah, that is a hard hitting ad and the Obama campaign has not been good on responding to this issue (not that it would stop Romney). It's ridiculous -- they aren't cuts, they're savings, and Ryan budget relies on them as well (unless Ryan comes up with $700b in other deficit cuts to offset the savings)

Wolf Blitzer is more offended by Biden than me. Should I be ashamed?

I think the Romney campaign is enjoying a better narrative this week than the Obama campaign for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom