• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
From the Sara Kliff blog linked above:

The health law changed how Medicare calculates what they get reimbursed for various services, slightly lowering their rates over time. Hospitals agreed to these cuts because they knew, at the same time, they would likely see an influx of paying patients with the Affordable Care Act’s insurance expansion.

From an op-ed in today's WSJ:

A panel at the American Enterprise Institute featured Richard Foster, the Medicare actuary who estimates that ObamaCare's $716 billion in Medicare cuts will cause one of six hospitals to become unprofitable. In the audience was Chip Kahn, the president of a for-profit hospital trade group that lobbied for ObamaCare, who stood up to defend the bargain his industry cut in return for 30 million new subsidized customers.

Mr. Foster noted that the cuts, which come via a technical change to Medicare payment rates, apply in perpetuity. But the hospitals only get the extra patients once, so the wedge between costs and benefits for hospitals widens over time.

"Well," Mr. Kahn replied, "you can say, 'Did you make a bad deal?' Fortunately I don't think I'll probably be working after 2020." When Mr. Foster pressed him, he joked again, "I'm glad my contract only goes another six years."

This kind of short-range thinking—and intellectual exhaustion—dominates both parties and their many clients in Washington, in health care especially.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I hate the concept of for-profit health care.

And the number of patients seen by hospitals is expected to decrease "into perpetuity," Mr. Foster? How does the idiot who lobbied for it not have the ability to see that counter-point.

tranciful

When are liberals going to become a real movement that gets out to vote? I don't understand how we manage to get pushed around like this. How do we unlock our activism?

Chumly

From the Sara Kliff blog linked above:

The health law changed how Medicare calculates what they get reimbursed for various services, slightly lowering their rates over time. Hospitals agreed to these cuts because they knew, at the same time, they would likely see an influx of paying patients with the Affordable Care Act’s insurance expansion.

From an op-ed in today's WSJ:

A panel at the American Enterprise Institute featured Richard Foster, the Medicare actuary who estimates that ObamaCare's $716 billion in Medicare cuts will cause one of six hospitals to become unprofitable. In the audience was Chip Kahn, the president of a for-profit hospital trade group that lobbied for ObamaCare, who stood up to defend the bargain his industry cut in return for 30 million new subsidized customers.

Mr. Foster noted that the cuts, which come via a technical change to Medicare payment rates, apply in perpetuity. But the hospitals only get the extra patients once, so the wedge between costs and benefits for hospitals widens over time.

"Well," Mr. Kahn replied, "you can say, 'Did you make a bad deal?' Fortunately I don't think I'll probably be working after 2020." When Mr. Foster pressed him, he joked again, "I'm glad my contract only goes another six years."

This kind of short-range thinking—and intellectual exhaustion—dominates both parties and their many clients in Washington, in health care especially.
Uh that summarization grossly misscharacterized the actual conversation that went on. Although not surprising for someone that wrote an article jumping onto the jockstrap on the Ryan plan. You guys can watch the video for yourselves starting at 1:33. They are talking about the exponential rise in cost in healthcare and the medicare payments going up in level amounts which would be a problem no matter what. The hospitals get to keep the people that are insured so they have a permanent increase in base and a permanent decrease in uninsured.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
The influx of paying patients happens once. The total number of patients will increase because of all the fat Baby Boomers that are just starting to hit 65, but they're all going to be on Medicare. They will be gobbling up the money we are able to scrape together these days on top of the largesse of the postwar decades of stable economic growth they spent on different ways to make themselves fatter and unhealthier.

RDreamer

When are liberals going to become a real movement that gets out to vote? I don't understand how we manage to get pushed around like this. How do we unlock our activism?

If only Occupy had been a bit more unified and had funneled the whole movement into voting....

dead heat between eric hovde and thompson in Wis gop sen primary

Still hoping Thompson loses. I know it's going to be a battle either way for Baldwin, but I think Thompson would be a tougher one.

The influx of paying patients happens once. The total number of patients will increase because of all the fat Baby Boomers that are just starting to hit 65, but they're all going to be on Medicare. They will be gobbling up the money we are able to scrape together these days on top of the largesse of the postwar decades of stable economic growth they spent on different ways to make themselves fatter and unhealthier.

The expansion of medicaid and those subsidies should grow with that portion of the population. If the CBO is estimating 30 million more being covered by 2022, why would that number stop? As the population grows, so does that subset of the population.

Chumly

Yes its understood the initial influx of patients happens once but WSJ tries to blame the wedge affect on Obamacare which is a false since we already have the problem and would have had it anyways. You would also have to assume that NOTHING in the future would ever change to fix it or changes put in place to help decrease costs.

EDIT: I should clarify this is in relation to the level increase in block payments from Medicare to hospitals. We would also have a wedge affect if we didn't get those people insured.

RDreamer

Doubtful, most young people are disillustioned or simply don't care this time.

Yeah, I have quite a few friends that are disillusioned, and at this point they feel like no one actually represents them at all. They feel bummed out on Obama, but also would never even really think about voting Republican. It's frustrating, because yeah I can see where they're coming from, but at the same time I personally feel like for my generation this is going to be one of the most important elections of our lifetime.

Tamanon

Banned
Good lord, just had a Romney commercial, RNC commercial and Restore Our Future commercial in a row.

November needs to hurry up or I need to move out of swing states.

eznark

Banned
Good lord, just had a Romney commercial, RNC commercial and Restore Our Future commercial in a row.

We suspended our DirecTV over the summer since I only watch MLB.tv and my wife watches no TV. I just turned it back on for NFL Sunday Ticket and God damn I forgot about campaign ads!

California never in play, baby! Love how we don't get much of the presidential stuff outside national commercials.

I'd hate to be in Florida or Ohio and watch TV.

"That is something that we think we should do in the light of day, through Congress," Ryan told Hume, promising to "have a process for tax reform so that we do this in the front of the public. So no, the point I'm trying to say is, we want feedback from Americans about what priorities in the tax code should be kept, and what special interest loopholes we want to get rid of."

LOL. Ryan is saying they're going to do tax reform after elected by polling people on what to reform.

I wish this was a bad dream.

Has this been posted?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_BK28v_BZU

Sununu on CNN telling O'Brien to post a Obama bumper on her forehead for quoting factcheck and the CBO.

This guy argues by yelling lies and misinformation. Sadly, I'm afraid this strategy is somewhat effective.

Where is this Romney Plan? I haven't seen one.

n/m guess it's on his website but why hasn't he been talking about the specifics of his plan? All I hear him doing is attacking Obama's plan.

Where is this Romney Plan? I haven't seen one.

n/m guess it's on his website but why hasn't he been talking about the specifics of his plan? All I hear him doing is attacking Obama's plan.

How is this different from the Ryan Plan?
Shortly after Mitt presented the proposal described here, Congressman Paul Ryan and Senator Ron Wyden introduced a bipartisan proposal that almost precisely mirrors Mitt’s ideas. Unsurprisingly, the Obama administration immediately rejected the proposal. Mitt has applauded the Ryan-Wyden effort and looks forward to working as president with leaders from both sides of the aisle to implement meaningful reforms that will preserve Medicare for future generations.

http://www.mittromney.com/issues/medicare

Romney retroactively takes credit for Ryan's medicare plan. LMAO

Has this been posted?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_BK28v_BZU

Sununu on CNN telling O'Brien to post a Obama bumper on her forehead for quoting factcheck and the CBO.

This guy argues by yelling lies and misinformation. Sadly, I'm afraid this strategy is somewhat effective.

This works with his base that has been instructed that everything told outside of Fox News, Hannity, Rush, and the like is nothing but 'lame-stream media' or 'drive-by media' or 'liberal bias' or whatever the term is for the day. And it is scary how effective it is on the base . . . that is why you see people spouting nonsense with such conviction. But the base isn't large enough to win elections so they have to get others.

Well poop. Thompson is probably the strongest Republican in the race (unless you live in Rasmussenland) but I think Baldwin can still edge it out, it depends on how well Obama does I guess.

Hovde was preferable but he was also crazy rich, much like Ron Johnson - a self-funded nobody who ended up knocking off a popular incumbent.

For reference here's the last four polls that matched up Thompson and Baldwin:

PPP - Baldwin 45, Thompson 45
Ras - Baldwin 48, Thompson 41
Marquette - Thompson 48, Baldwin 43
Quinnipac - Baldwin 47, Thompson 47

All about the demographics.
That demographic could guarantee Obama easily . . . the problem is that they don't show up to vote. They flake out, they don't register, the aren't registered in their college town, etc. But the senior citizens that have nothing better to do with their lives ALWAYS vote.

eznark

Banned
With Ryan on the ticket? Nah bro, Thompson is a lock

It's going to depend on how well Northeast Wisconsin embraces Thompson going forward. In some of those counties he was behind both Neumann and Hovde. If he can't figure that out he is in a ton of trouble. On the other hand, he carried Waukesha/Washington/Ozaukee way, way better than I expected.

Thompson lock!
I see you haven't gotten tired of trolling yet.

In other news, here's Obama being a wizard:

120814_obama_ap_605.jpg

Chumly

This works with his base that has been instructed that everything told outside of Fox News, Hannity, Rush, and the like is nothing but 'lame-stream media' or 'drive-by media' or 'liberal bias' or whatever the term is for the day. And it is scary how effective it is on the base . . . that is why you see people spouting nonsense with such conviction. But the base isn't large enough to win elections so they have to get others.
It's scary that people will fall for the bullshit.
I mean he is flat out lying and not even budgin an inch when we know he is factually wrong with no room to tip toe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom