• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wray

That demographic could guarantee Obama easily . . . the problem is that they don't show up to vote. They flake out, they don't register, the aren't registered in their college town, etc. But the senior citizens that have nothing better to do with their lives ALWAYS vote.

All of which is offset by demographics. You realize that the 18-29 age bracket is bigger than it was four years ago right? I don't think you realize just how large Generation Y/Millennial is. Especially compared to the relatively small Gen X, which used to be the 18-29 bracket a very short time ago.

Right now the 18-29 bracket is all Gen Y/Millennial and still getting larger. That's four more years of "Silents" dying off and four more years of "Millennials" coming of age to vote, who are also double the size of the "Silents" Generation.

Generational%20Size%20Chart%20pdf.jpg

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I hope iGeneration is not the real term they plan to use.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/2012...re-cuts-that-were-part-of-his-budget-20120814

“I am on the Romney ticket,” Ryan told Fox’s Brit Hume. "And what Mitt Romney is proposing is to repeal all of 'Obamacare.' And in the House, repeatedly, I have voted with that position. I support that position. I'm pleased to support the position of getting rid of every piece of Obamacare, including the cuts to Medicare which are used to pay for Obamacare.”

VP vetting process -

Mitt Romney: "Are you prepared to flip-flop on any position at any time if you think it'll help you get elected?"

Paul Ryan: "Yes."

Mitt Romney: "Are you sure?"

Paul Ryan: "Um... no."

Mitt Romney: "Perfect!"

Measley

So this movie is making the rounds in theatres right now;

About 2016: Obama’s America

2016 Obama's America takes audiences on a gripping visual journey into the heart of the world’s most powerful office to reveal the struggle of whether one man's past will redefine America over the next four years. The film examines the question, "If Obama wins a second term, where will we be in 2016?"

Across the globe and in America, people in 2008 hungered for a leader who would unite and lift us from economic turmoil and war. True to America’s ideals, they invested their hope in a new kind of president, Barack Obama. What they didn't know is that Obama is a man with a past, and in powerful ways that past defines him--who he is, how he thinks, and where he intends to take America and the world.

Immersed in exotic locales across four continents, best selling author Dinesh D’Souza races against time to find answers to Obama’s past and reveal where America will be in 2016. During this journey he discovers how Hope and Change became radically misunderstood, and identifies new flashpoints for hot wars in mankind’s greatest struggle. The journey moves quickly over the arc of the old colonial empires, into America’s empire of liberty, and we see the unfolding realignment of nations and the shape of the global future.

Emotionally engaging, 2016 Obama’s America will make you confounded and cheer as you discover the mysteries and answers to your greatest aspirations and worst fears.
Love him or hate him, you don’t know him.

Basically it's a movie by birthers for birthers. Right wing radio has been pushing it for the last few weeks, and I guess it just hit theatres this weekend.

Sad. Real sad.

Wilsongt

[/b]

Basically it's a movie by birthers for birthers. Right wing radio has been pushing it for the last few weeks, and I guess it just hit theatres this weekend.

Sad. Real sad.

Wow, that's pretty terrible. I also find it funny how Wikipedia labels the guy who did the movie as a Christian apologist.

pigeon

Banned
I don't know who most of those generation names apply to.

As a generation Y person, I can say it's pretty obvious that all these generation names were invented by Gen Xers. ("The most important thing about their generation is that they came after us! Also they seem kind of lazy and their music is too loud!")

Anyway, if you remember MySpace you're Generation Y and if you used Facebook in high school you're iGen.

Sad. Real sad.
Jesus Christ.

And to think I was surprised that this election year hasn't felt as surreal as I imagined it would. But the batshit marches on.

Looks like Democrat endorsed Rick Nolan is gonna hold off his two primary challengers to face Chip Cravaack in MN-08.

Rob Zerban with another $22,000 today on ActBlue. His 4-day total there is just under $100,000 at $97,000(Was at $410,000 around 1am Saturday so he might have gotten more just before that) since Paul Ryan's VP announcement late Friday/early Saturday. If he can keep up a $20,000 pace. He'll have made over 2 million bucks since the VP pick was made by the time people vote in November.

Measley

Obama's about to get swift-boated;

Special ops group attacks Obama over bin Laden bragging, leaks

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A group of former U.S. intelligence and Special Forces operatives is set to launch a media campaign, including TV ads, that scolds President Barack Obama for taking credit for the killing of Osama bin Laden and argues that high-level leaks are endangering American lives.

Leaders of the group, the Special Operations OPSEC Education Fund Inc, say it is nonpartisan and unconnected to any political party or presidential campaign. It is registered as a so-called social welfare group, which means its primary purpose is to further the common good and its political activities should be secondary.

"Mr. President, you did not kill Osama bin Laden, America did. The work that the American military has done killed Osama bin Laden. You did not," Ben Smith, identified as a Navy SEAL, says in the film.

http://news.yahoo.com/special-ops-group-attacks-obama-over-bin-laden-011757844.html

Now personally, I don't remember Obama ever taking credit for killing Bin Laden, outside of saying that he gave the order for the SEAL team to go in. Of course, if the mission was a massive failure, I bet Obama would get all the blame for it.

I'm also sure that if Bush was president when Bin Laden got sniped, there would be no backlash from the far left, which are currently criticizing Obama for drone strikes and the like.

Anyway, the Obama team better get ready to combat this. It's going to be a broadside attack on his foreign policy chops.

Paches

http://news.yahoo.com/special-ops-group-attacks-obama-over-bin-laden-011757844.html

Now personally, I don't remember Obama ever taking credit for killing Bin Laden, outside of saying that he gave the order for the SEAL team to go in. I'm also sure that if Bush was president when Bin Laden got sniped, there would be no backlash from the far left, which are currently criticizing Obama for drone strikes and the like.

Anyway, the Obama team better get ready to combat this. It's going to be a broadside attack on his foreign policy chops.

I don't think this will do anything. It isn't like Romney/Ryan have any FP experience whatsoever, so I don't see it being a big talking point in the campaign (although there have been some insane Fox articles on how that is actually a *good* thing).

RDreamer

Now personally, I don't remember Obama ever taking credit for killing Bin Laden, outside of saying that he gave the order for the SEAL team to go in. I'm also sure that if Bush was president when Bin Laden got sniped, there would be no backlash from the far left, which are currently criticizing Obama for drone strikes and the like.

Do you really have to defend against this? Isn't a campaign like this really just going to remind people that Osama was downed during Obama's time? I don't think most people really give a flying fuck about bragging or whatever. It's such a silly criticism...

This smells like a backfire to me. Bringing up Bin Laden can only be a positive for Obama. The more people remember OBL was taken out under his watch, the better.

He got bin laden, nobody gives a shit about whether he bragged about it, even if it were true.

As confident as I am that attacking Obama on Medicare will have little traction, there is literally ZERO traction for going after the bin Laden kill.

Now personally, I don't remember Obama ever taking credit for killing Bin Laden, outside of saying that he gave the order for the SEAL team to go in. Of course, if the mission was a massive failure, I bet Obama would get all the blame for it.

I'm also sure that if Bush was president when Bin Laden got sniped, there would be no backlash from the far left, which are currently criticizing Obama for drone strikes and the like.

I'll echo the others. People won't care. Most of these attacks (save for welfare and medicare) are only playing to the base. This will go nowhere with the indy vote

Jooney

The Obama campaign has shown that it is quick to get out in front or diffuse attacks like this. Therefore I don't think it will get much traction. Part of what made swift boating so effective was that the Kerry campaign thought the wiser strategy would be to ignore such attacks. A terrible call in hindsight.

The Obama campaign has shown that it is quick to get out in front or diffuse attacks like this. Therefore I don't think it will get much traction. Part of what made swift boating so effective was that the Kerry campaign thought the wiser strategy would be to ignore such attacks. A terrible call in hindsight.

I want them to come out hard tomorrow on this medicare ad.

yawn, good luck with that shit.

HylianTom

Banned
This smells like a backfire to me. Bringing up Bin Laden can only be a positive for Obama. The more people remember OBL was taken out under his watch, the better.

I've long-thought that we're going to see That Picture more and more as the campaign goes on. Very dramatic, with Hillary covering her mouth and Obama looking steely-eyed and intense..

So let 'em bring-up the issue; it'll be an excuse to plaster That Picture up on TV screens all over the place.

pigeon

Banned

Bush also had (perhaps unearned) foreign policy credit for people to compare Kerry against. Romney and Ryan have foreign policy debit.

markatisu

LOL they can't even Swiftboat right, its almost like they want Romney to lose

I cannot imagine how anyone who isn't already voting against Obama would be swayed by that

tranciful

If only Occupy had been a bit more unified and had funneled the whole movement into voting....
Yeah, that's what I've been arguing for since the early days of OWS. Instead of throwing feces into banks, camping out and having parties, and getting arrested, they should have organized voter registration events, voting events, etc. On voting day, set up camp a legal distance away from polling places, hang out, attract bystandards, and gradually get people through the voting lines. Make it an entertaining event. Part of me wants to try and create an app or website to help organize this sorta stuff.

Triple U

Banned

Someone should explain to that SEAL how a chain-of-command works and who is at the top. I mean, who did he think the order originated from? I don't get the "America did" comment either.

Yeah, that's what I've been arguing for since the early days of OWS. Instead of throwing feces into banks, camping out and having parties, and getting arrested, they should have organized voter registration events, voting events, etc. On voting day, set up camp a legal distance away from polling places, hang out, attract bystandards, and gradually get people through the voting lines. Make it an entertaining event. Part of me wants to try and create an app or website to help organize this sorta stuff.

Imagine if OWS had the same influence on Washington the Tea Party did in 2010 midterms.

It kinda pisses me off just thinking about it. Goddamn what a movement dignified by wasted potential

RDreamer

Imagine if OWS had the same influence on Washington the Tea Party did in 2010 midterms.

It kinda pisses me off just thinking about it. Goddamn what a movement dignified by wasted potential

Imagine if they had taken hold of the democratic party the way the tea party did with the republicans. Not necessarily saying that would be a good thing or anything like that, but it would be really interesting to see how something like that would play out on a national stage and in future elections.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Ugh. On my break today at work, I briefly caught a glimpse of CNN talking about Biden's "chains" remark and discussing whether this meant the Obama campaign is in trouble or not.

Why are these people, our news media, so horrible?

markatisu

Ugh. On my break today at work, I briefly caught a glimpse of CNN talking about Biden's "chains" remark and discussing whether this meant the Obama campaign is in trouble or not.

They need something to fill the 24hr a day coverage

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Its neither swift nor bouyant. And to me its offensive to the special forces community to toss them into such petty bullshit.

This is incredibly poorly thought out. I also imagine Obama will get a lot of backup from other military folks including current special forces people. The idea that this ad is 'nonpartisan' is almost as disgraceful as the content,

And to echo the sentiment here, OH SHIT FUCK YEAH - I FORGOT OBAMA KILLED BIN LADEN.

Irony is that it's likely the Obama campaign wouldn't have had the brass neck to remind people themselves.

Jooney

At the least, OWS brought income inequality back into the mainstream political discourse, and packaged it up in the 99% vs 1% concept. I would argue that brought value.

They were never going to be as effective as the Tea Party as they weren't backed by equivalent wealthy benefactors nor had the messaging machine of the largest cable news network.

FyreWulff

Air Force One is just chillin' in Omaha right now while Obama is on his bus tour.

hr5fBl.jpg

I swear everything interesting happens after I leave.

RDreamer

At the least, OWS brought income inequality back into the mainstream political discourse, and packaged it up in the 99% vs 1% concept. I would argue that brought value.

They were never going to be as effective as the Tea Party as they weren't backed by equivalent wealthy benefactors nor had the messaging machine of the largest cable news network.

Yeah, I do appreciate that inequality is at least a partial part of the conversation now. Still depressing though when you think of what the Tea Party got on their end for politicians, and what Occupy got was ... um... talk of the Buffett rule? Which isn't even close to enough, and didn't even get passed...

Videoneon

The chains remark takes effort to perceive as awkward. What exactly is it supposed to be referring to that makes it offensive. The worst potential outcome from this is that the media machine will necessitate turning the presidential race into a spectacle of celebrity and gossip. Which...may very well be the case.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0812/79717.html

I guess now it's time to talk about the major issues!!! Thanks Comeback Team

Regarding Occupy, I agree with Jooney; they have re-introduced an important long lasting idea that has influenced political discourse in the form of the 99%. In spite of some of the reckless actions taken by some Occupy elements, "it" as an entity isn't often far from a moral high ground.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

yup, the %ages catchphrase alone is too toxic even for tea parties to graft onto. I actually don't like it because Bill Gates and Warren Buffett are in the 1% and it makes all wealthy people seem like scum, which is obviously nonsense, but politics is about shorthand and it's effective shorthand, especially given the nature and purpose of democracy - which is that the 99% have the power to control the 1% as long as the system is fairly used.

It's amazing how much money people spend to lose elections.

Linda McMahon has spent $61 million so far between her two runs... that's absurd. The sad part is that she is going to lose again this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom