• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDreamer

This is going to go nuclear.

I hope it does. Not just for the sake of Paul Ryan's defeat, but because he isn't the only one that pulled that crap. A bunch of republicans were publicly against the stimulus and say it didn't do anything while privately were requesting the money and praising it for creating jobs. They all deserve to get nailed to the wall on that.

He came out and blamed a staffer and shifted responsibility to him/her for getting stimulus money. Even though his signature is on the letter.

Sounds like he and Mitt truly were made for each other.

I'm skeptical over whether this will cause any harm. Basically what Gondo just said will go over as serviceable. That or the common rejoinder, "Well if the funds were there, you might as well get it for your constituents. Not their fault the government is wasteful!" will be sufficient.

KingGondo

Banned
I'm skeptical over whether this will cause any harm. Basically what Gondo just said will go over as serviceable. That or the common rejoinder, "Well if the funds were there, you might as well get it for your constituents. Not their fault the government is wasteful!" will be sufficient.
I think this, along with his Bush-era votes, can actually undermine his credibility.

The Clay Davis Defense won't play too well.

RDreamer

Except in these letters they specifically say that this money will help create jobs. You know, that thing that they deny the stimulus did.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
We shall see, but the media cannot even convincingly nail them on medicare. So I really doubt this will matter.

There's something resembling nuance with the medicare debate, though. So it makes sense that the media can't figure it out.

This one's pretty straightforward- he asked for stimulus money to create jobs, while arguing the stimulus money can't create jobs.

Tim-E

The important thing is that Ryan is completely failing to rejuvenate the Romney ticket.

Yep. I don't think the polls will swing in their favor too much once the dust settles on the convention, either. The choice has a lot of people talking, but they aren't really talking about the things Romney wants them to. VP choices generally don't do much for a ticket in terms of a higher EV count, but their messaging has been just as sloppy this week as it was before the announcement; probably even more so.

This week should generally destroy any credibility Paul Ryan has on being a serious wonk/deficit hawk/etc. Let us see if that really happens. I see a lot of that chatter on online sites like Atlantic, some on Politico, etc.

Wow, it's barely been a week and Paul Ryan will probably be a "push" at best for the Romney ticket. And going by the last several days, he may even be a modest drag on the ticket.

With each passing day, Paul Ryan is looking like a typical House congressmen, instead of the most "serious" guy in Washington. He's been evasive, using double speak, and now caught lying (about the Stimulus). He just looks like a typical dodgy attack dog rather than a serious policy guy who isn't afraid to face the hard facts. His brand has already been ruined, IMO.

The Romney campaign has gone on offense this week about Medicare, but in the grand scheme of things they're still playing defense since we're still not talking about the economy. The discussion is just seesawing back and forth between Medicare, taxes and other side issues. Romney has been able to throw in a few jabs about Welfare, but they're still off message.

It doesn't help either that the Romney campaign had no clear plan for their offensive push back on Medicare. One minute, Romney's plan is substantially different than Ryan's. Next it's similar with just a few key changes, then finally the two plans are practically identical. And Romney's budget plan is still vague and missing key details, so he can just keep changing his budget on an almost daily basis.

It will be interesting to see both Romney and Ryan's poll numbers over the next several weeks. They're really going to need the convention to turn things around.

Measley

Wow, it's barely been a week and Paul Ryan will probably be a "push" at best[/b] for the Romney ticket. And going by the last several days, he may even be a modest drag on the ticket.

With each passing day, Paul Ryan is looking like a typical House congressmen, instead of the most "serious" guy in Washington. He's been evasive, using double speak, and now caught lying (about the Stimulus). He just looks like a typical dodgy attack dog rather than a serious policy guy who isn't afraid to face the hard facts. His brand has already been ruined, IMO.

The Romney has gone on offense this week about Medicare, but in the grand scheme of things they're still playing defense since we're still not talking about the economy. The discussion is just seesawing back and forth between Medicare, taxes and other side issues. Romney has been able to throw in a few jabs about Welfare, but they're still off message.

It doesn't help either that the Romney campaign had no clear plan for their offensive push back on Medicare. One minute, Romney's plan is substantially different than Ryan's. Next it's similar with just a few key changes, then finally the two plans are practically identical. And Romney's budget plan is still vague and missing key details, so he can just keep changing his budget on an almost daily basis.

It will be interesting to see both Romney and Ryan's poll numbers over the next several weeks. They're really going to need the convention to turn things around.

What's crazy about all of this is that it seems that Obama has been pretty quiet all week.

The Republican ticket is sinking all by itself.

RDreamer

That would explain why I haven't got my bumper sticker yet.

Really? I got a free one a looooong time ago. Haven't put it on my car yet. I wanted to before going to my parents' place last week, but my wife told me not to.

Am I high or has PD's post as of late been pro dem/obama?

He's finally come around to the acceptance stage of the grieving process. Unfortunately it looks like Ed Klein is going to open up old wounds on him. Expect a turn.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Really? I got a free one a looooong time ago. Haven't put it on my car yet. I wanted to before going to my parents' place last week, but my wife told me not to.

He's finally come around to the acceptance stage of the grieving process. Unfortunately it looks like Ed Klein is going to open up old wounds on him. Expect a turn.

No seriously. I donated $3 and they said they'd send me one. NADA. Voting for Hillary now.

LOCK

Just wanted to say that my grandparents, who hated Obama, are totally against Ryan and so now Romney.

Will be hilarious if they vote for Obama, since they always vote.

RDreamer

Just wanted to say that my grandparents, who hated Obama, are totally against Ryan and so now Romney.

Just curious, but what's the reason? Is it his budget overall, or medicare?

Same with my cousin, he always votes and he was voting Romney but after I gave him some background on Romney's past as governor he's not voting for either now. It will be interesting to see what he does.

Puddles

Banned

Come mid-October, if things are still looking this solid for Obama, we need to put some serious thought into what PD's avatar will be.

jiggle

What's crazy about all of this is that it seems that Obama has been pretty quiet all week.

kinda uncharacteristic of them to let the narrative get away
did they sit back and expected RR to implode?
biden really threw a wrench in the whole thing then

the 13% tax thing is funny
not exactly something to be proud of!

Chichikov

Tom Morello: Paul Ryan is the embodiment of the machine our music rages against

Always kind of funny when musicians push back against people who use or like their music. As a huge music junkie I just think it's gotta be a kick in the nuts if your favorite band writes a piece about how much they dislike you.
He can't be surprised though.
They're not exactly subtle about their politics (or anything for that matter).
I mean, even if he never listened to a word they sang, wrote or said, that still should be pretty fucking clear -

bhIqC.jpg

thatbox

Banned
My grandmother is 82, and well off. We never, ever talk about politics. She called me the other day, scared about Romney's pick of Paul Ryan,

Chichikov

Tom Morello: Paul Ryan is the embodiment of the machine our music rages against

Always kind of funny when musicians push back against people who use or like their music. As a huge music junkie I just think it's gotta be a kick in the nuts if your favorite band writes a piece about how much they dislike you.
He can't be surprised though.
They're not exactly subtle about their politics (or anything for that matter).
I mean, even if he never listened to a word they sang, wrote or said, that still should be pretty fucking clear -

bhIqC.jpg

Edit: man, listening to rage fits so well with the stereotype that libertarians are stuck in their teenage angst phase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom