• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
I'm guessing it will show a modest but depressingly small bump for the Romney/Ryan/Rape ticket.

PPP showed what, 8 point bump? I'm guessing this is a bit bigger than that. Their last poll the first week of August had Obama up 5. Prior to that (first week of July) he was up 8. I'm going to guess that Romney is up 4 in this one. Anything less than that would be a serious disappointment for them.

The far more interesting thing will be the Tommy/Tammy race. Beginning of August Thompson was up 4 on Baldwin but only getting 46% of the vote. I'm guessing that will jump to around 7 and he'll approach 50%.

I think those are probably bare minimums to be "good news" for the GOP.

eznark

Banned
Wisconsin Democratic Party pulling out the big guns.

paul_ryan_notafan_disclaimed.gif

Ryan doomed in Wisconsin

eznark

Banned
I'm not sure how much the rest of you know about Wisconsin culture (I'm an expert)...

I love that the actual Democratic party paid for that. No wonder they are getting run out of WI.

Supposedly Zielinski is teasing on twitter that they have footage of Paul Ryan in a Cubs hat as well. Look out for that!

eznark

Banned
Tammy Baldwin speaking at DNC. Interesting. I'm guessing she'll be the flag bearer of the new-found gay rights platform?

jO7jxUtt55QjX_e.jpg

Paul Ryan black ex?

This is even better: http://www.webpronews.com/biggest-brown-noser-superlative-starts-wikipedia-war-2012-08

“Biggest Brown-Noser” Superlative Starts Wikipedia War

“Biggest Brown-Noser” may not be the superlative you want to win in high school, but if you have a good enough sense of humor, it’s not that big a deal. However, when you run for a government office later in life, it’s a very big deal. Now that Paul Ryan is officially Mitt Romney’s running mate, he’s getting a lot of attention, and his Wikipedia page has not been spared.​

EDIT: LMAO - check the attached video at the article

A black democrat robot no less. But enough with the internet lies speculawyer, no where does it say they were married.

It is a good thing you cleared that up. If someone read my joke and thought he actually married a black robot then he could unfairly lose votes.

RDreamer

Romney Campaign sets goal of getting 38% of latino vote.

McCain got 31%, and Bush got 40%, but the Republican party seems to have gone backwards. Do you guys really think they could get anywhere near that, especially now with the executive order Obama put out? I would think that would excite a lot of the latinos to vote for Obama, since he at least did something for 'em. Then again, I suppose those voter ID laws might affect some latinos quite a bit too.

Dude Abides

Banned
Romney Campaign sets goal of getting 38% of latino vote.

McCain got 31%, and Bush got 40%, but the Republican party seems to have gone backwards. Do you guys really think they could get anywhere near that, especially now with the executive order Obama put out? I would think that would excite a lot of the latinos to vote for Obama, since he at least did something for 'em. Then again, I suppose those voter ID laws might affect some latinos quite a bit too.

They might get close. The great conservative immigration freak-out of 2006 has probably receded in the minds of many Latino voters.

Anyone post the amazon election book heat map http://www.amazon.com/gp/election-heatmap

I went to Vermont for a friend's wedding three weeks ago. Ended up with a Subaru rental and NPR was already tuned. Burlington was one of the most organic, green, hippy, liberal places I've ever been to.

Went to a farmer's market and some dude was sitting on the grass and had his haul of organic farm grown veggies spread out his hemp reusable tote bag and was snapping a picture of it with his iPhone...

RDreamer

Irony of course is that the racist, treacherous, undemocratic anti-voting measures they themselves have pushed will make gaining Latino voters more difficult.

Yeah most of the latinos I've known and worked with in my life worked like crazy. They usually had 2+ jobs and worked nearly 18 hours a day. I don't know how the hell some of them are going to go get correct IDs if they need them. I remember a few of them at my last job had expired IDs just because they never had time to go.

Chichikov

So I know I'm more of a lurker of this thread than an active participant, but I stumbled upon this article on CNN about civil unions yesterday while eating dinner, and was taken aback. We all know that gay marriage is a definite no-no in Republican books, but I wasn't aware even civil unions are something to vehemently oppose to them!

I mean, Republicans spew hateful stuff that puts me off to them on a daily basis, admittedly, so I really shouldn't have been surprised, but I'd always thought they had proposed civil unions as a means to disallow gay marriage without necessarily disallowing gay couples the rights provided to a married straight couple. If it wasn't the Republicans, who exactly did support the civil union concept, then? Blue dogs?

The thing that annoys me about the issue is that, one time when the topic came up at dinner with my family, my parents basically bluntly said they don't support gay marriage, but would be okay with civil unions - a stance I oppose, because it was hammered into me pretty hard back in school that "separate but equal" generally isn't, and that's what civil unions pretty much are. Granted, my parents are generally fairly liberal-leaning (well, not sure about my mother, since she likes to watch Fox and Friends, but she's not particularly outwardly conservative, at least), but still, it surprised me.

On the plus side, at least my state of Maryland will have a vote on legalizing gay marriage this November. I suppose you could surmise as much from this post, but I do intend to vote in favor when I reach the polling booth. I'm just worried it'll go the way of Proposition 8 from California - we may be a fairly liberal state, all told, but that doesn't mean we lean liberal on everything...

RDreamer

Apparently the Tuesday Night sessions at the RNC will be themed "We Built This," however it has been pointed out that the stadium they're holding the convention in was built by 62% government funds. Kind of funny when you think about sports like that. Football, Baseball, and Basketball stadiums are largely helped by government funds.

Apparently the Tuesday Night sessions at the RNC will be themed "We Built This," however it has been pointed out that the stadium they're holding the convention in was built by 62% government funds. Kind of funny when you think about sports like that. Football, Baseball, and Basketball stadiums are largely helped by government funds.

And the double irony is that "We Built This" is accurate! We--all of us--really did!

Chichikov

Oh, and how the fuck is The Passage of Power a left leaning book?
Are they making an joke about the whole "reality has a left leaning bias" thing?

I'm seriously confused.

Fantastic book by the way, reading it now.
Caro better not die before he finishes the last one.

So I know I'm more of a lurker of this thread than an active participant, but I stumbled upon this article on CNN about civil unions yesterday while eating dinner, and was taken aback. We all know that gay marriage is a definite no-no in Republican books, but I wasn't aware even civil unions are something to vehemently oppose to them!

I mean, Republicans spew hateful stuff that puts me off to them on a daily basis, admittedly, so I really shouldn't have been surprised, but I'd always thought they had proposed civil unions as a means to disallow gay marriage without necessarily disallowing gay couples the rights provided to a married straight couple. If it wasn't the Republicans, who exactly did support the civil union concept, then? Blue dogs?

The thing that annoys me about the issue is that, one time when the topic came up at dinner with my family, my parents basically bluntly said they don't support gay marriage, but would be okay with civil unions - a stance I oppose, because it was hammered into me pretty hard back in school that "separate but equal" generally isn't, and that's what civil unions pretty much are. Granted, my parents are generally fairly liberal-leaning (well, not sure about my mother, since she likes to watch Fox and Friends, but she's not particularly outwardly conservative, at least), but still, it surprised me.

On the plus side, at least my state of Maryland will have a vote on legalizing gay marriage this November. I suppose you could surmise as much from this post, but I do intend to vote in favor when I reach the polling booth. I'm just worried it'll go the way of Proposition 8 from California - we may be a fairly liberal state, all told, but that doesn't mean we lean liberal on everything...
The sin is butt sex.
Never forget that.
This is what bother those people.

Now yeah, thinking that preventing people from getting married will prevent them from having sex shows a remarkable understanding of people and the way the world works, but at least it's good to know that even the GOP don't float the idea of re-criminalizing butt sex.
They have lost that debate (only recently mind you), this is just their grief period, or something.

eznark

Banned
^ I'm guessing they just lump all general biographies about a person into the party that person represented.

Rhode Island delegate Barbara Fenton proposed the amendment. She said that as a 31-year-old, the party's longtime opposition to legal rights for same-sex couples is increasingly out-of-step with the beliefs of her friends and peers.

"For my own generation, a lot of times homosexuality isn't the biggest deal in the world anymore, and that's okay," Fenton told the 110-member committee and its chairman, Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell.

Her proposal was seconded by a handful of people in the room - but two leading conservatives on the platform committee, Indiana's Jim Bopp and Louisiana's Tony Perkins, sternly argued against it.

Vehement opposition!

gcubed

Thomas fucking Friedman is a left leaning writer now?

And I'm happy to see that The People's History is still popular.
It's a solid book.

It turns out their entire education system was a front for a child molestation ring.

they need a freaking kindle version

gcubed

Okay, maybe I worded it a bit too strongly. (There's a reason I mostly lurk... <_<)

^ I'm guessing they just lump all general biographies about a person into the party that person represented.

Vehement opposition!

don't let him pick on you by misrepresenting the definition of vehement!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00338QF46/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Really had to scour the depths of the web for it. Thank me.

well shit... i clicked on the link to the book on that list and it had no kindle version listed. I stopped

Jimothy

An entire convention built on an out-of-context quote. The GOP is amazing.

Jackson50

Vehement opposition!
The committee's opposition to her amendment was vehement.
TAMPA&#8211;The Republican party platform will continue to call for a constitutional amendment prohibiting same-sex unions, after a drafting committee rejected an attempt to allow for civil unions for gays and lesbians.

A loud majority of the committee opposed the amendment in a voice vote.
I would count Florida out of reach for Obama. It didn't add 11,000 jobs last month like Ohio; who I will also add has an unemployment rate a full point below the national average at 7.2%. Plus it's in the South and has a strong Republican machine down there. But who needs it when you have Virginia and Ohio in your corner.
Romney might possess a marginal advantage in Florida, although the polling has hitherto indicated a legitimate toss-up. Thus, Florida does not qualify as out of reach for Obama. But my primary contention is not with your conclusion. Rather, I disagree with the spurious premise that the performance of a state's economy is electorally consequential. A state's economy is at most of nominal import. Rather, the impact of the national economy dwarfs state and local factors. This is an instance where, contrary to the conventional wisdom, politics are not local.
Jesus. Go ahead and move that bar about 10 percentage points over to the left.
That book seems to encapsulate Friedman's most galling tendencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom