• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sarah Palin Calls For Third-Party Candidate In Missouri

Sarah Palin didn't back Todd Akin in the three-way Missouri Republican Senate primary, throwing her weight behind Sarah Steelman instead. And now that Akin's all alone after deciding to stay in the race despite the urgings of most of the GOP establishment, Palin says it's time for a new candidate.

Via Christian Heinze, Palin said "If he [Akin] doesn't do it [drop out], then it's going to be third party then."

"We'll do whatever we can to not quash this opportunity that we have to take Missouri," Palin said.
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/sarah-palin-calls-for-3rd-party-candidate-in

Palin, burning more bridges; pretty clear she has no intention of being a candidate for president. A third party candidate would hand the seat to McCaskil

RDreamer

It's weird that Thompson is +10 while Obama and Biden are still up by 6 over Romney. How can anyone who would vote Obama see Thompson as anything good for their state? :\

Crossover votes are weird to me, but I can see Obama/Thompson far more than something like Obama/Brown like what seems to be happening in Massachusetts.

Thompson has a lot of name recognition, and I think he was pretty well liked in his time as governor. He's practically an icon.

Looking over the polling it seems like the deficit is a large concern in Wisconsin (sorry EV, we're dumb here apparently). Balwin has been getting hammered in commercials about large spending.

eznark

Banned
It's weird that Thompson is +10 while Obama and Biden are still up by 6 over Romney. How can anyone who would vote Obama see Thompson as anything good for their state? :\

It's only weird if you aren't familiar with Tommy Thompson and Tammy Baldwin.

pigeon

Banned
Has Romney or any Republican stated what ACA would be replaced with?

The crazies would be perfectly happy with repealing it and leaving the health care system to fall apart. The career politicians, at this point, would probably rather not repeal it at all, since it keeps getting more popular; they'd rather pass some bill that claims to repeal and replace it, while leaving it mostly in place, I suspect. So neither side of the GOP is likely to give any specifics, since they have none, but for different reasons.

Diablos

It's only weird if you aren't familiar with Tommy Thompson and Tammy Baldwin.
I'm not.

The crazies would be perfectly happy with repealing it and leaving the health care system to fall apart. The career politicians, at this point, would probably rather not repeal it at all, since it keeps getting more popular; they'd rather pass some bill that claims to repeal and replace it, while leaving it mostly in place, I suspect. So neither side of the GOP is likely to give any specifics, since they have none, but for different reasons.
Eh, don't count them out. They'd fully repeal it coming fresh off the heels of a Romney win (if it were to happen of course) and blame the costly effect of doing so on Democrats, tying it into a bullshit narrative that essentially says "look at how much this short-lived program already cost us," hoping it will damn their political aspirations for at least another 10 years.

They are doing the same kind of thing with medicare. Obamacare "steals" from it but only when ACA is repealed, but they stop short of telling voters their true meaning of course. They are essentially merging their non-sensible ignorance with reality. If people keep eating it up they'll keep trying it.

gcubed

i'm familiar with Thompson, but not Baldwin... but going up against an ex gov that served 4 terms and was well liked in the state is a pretty big uphill battle

HylianTom

Banned
So.. refresh my memory: if the GOP is forced to cancel their convention, do they reschedule, or are they forced by some state balloting laws into nominating their ticket by a certain deadline? With the model projections seeming to converge pretty tightly, this hurricane is looking more and more likely.

No convention bounce.. hmm..

eznark

Banned
i'm familiar with Thompson, but not Baldwin... but going up against an ex gov that served 4 terms and was well liked in the state is a pretty big uphill battle

Openly gay Madison radical. She used to embrace (and call herself) a radical. I doubt she still does. Either way that shit is not going to play well in Wisconsin. Kohl was a do-nothing and Feingold called himself a maverick. Running as a full blown GAF-approved Democrat doesn't fly in statewide elections and it never really has. Walker is really the first "pure" candidate from either party to see much success in a long time.

The biggest stick the Dems have to use against Thompson is that he was close to the Clinton administration which will help him I'm guessing.

gcubed

So.. refresh my memory: if the GOP is forced to cancel their convention, do they reschedule, or are they forced by some state balloting laws into nominating their ticket by a certain deadline? With the model projections seeming to converge pretty tightly, this hurricane is looking more and more likely.

No convention bounce.. hmm..

clearly if they need to cancel they should just drop out of the race because God doesn't want them to run

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Not really, because every expects that with ANY GOP Senate majority (or 50 seats + VP Ryan), Majority Leader McConnell would move to eliminate the filibuster.
This would make the Senate a majoritarian body, like the House, until at least the next Congressional session.
Once filibuster is gone its never coming back IMO. The party in power would never cede it by reinstating it while they are in control.

RDreamer

Well, I got that internship I was hoping for, so it looks like I won't be having time for any volunteering with Obama's campaign. Oh well.

eznark

Banned
Well, I got that internship I was hoping for, so it looks like I won't be having time for any volunteering with Obama's campaign. Oh well.

siren.gif

YOUTH'S ABANDONING OBAMA

Looking over the polling it seems like the deficit is a large concern in Wisconsin (sorry EV, we're dumb here apparently). Balwin has been getting hammered in commercials about large spending.

Don't feel bad. We're dumb everywhere.

On the topic (and not apropos of anything you said, RDreamer), in general I think crossover voting is an indication of a politically unsophisticated person (whether self-identified as a conservative or liberal). A politically sophisticated person would not care if, e.g., Thompson is a "nice guy" or an "icon." Splitting a ticket doesn't make political sense except, e.g., as a protest vote at the top of the ticket (which, being in Texas, I always have the luxury of doing).

markatisu

So this week we have seen the GOP shit away women and hispanics, and in past weeks with the Chick Fil A issue any gays they might have had. And they are balancing on a tight rope with seniors every time Paul Ryan talks

So how do they expect to win in November? Old White Men and their misguided wives?

On the topic (and not apropos of anything you said, RDreamer), in general I think crossover voting is an indication of a politically unsophisticated person (whether self-identified as a conservative or liberal). A politically sophisticated person would not care if, e.g., Thompson is a "nice guy" or an "icon." Splitting a ticket doesn't make political sense except, e.g., as a protest vote at the top of the ticket (which, being in Texas, I always have the luxury of doing).

Way to attack the "independent thinkers" of the world.

I disagree with this assessment because the dynamics of local politics can be very different from those of national level politics and often times, there is a very good reason, on a local level, to vote for a candidate that is not affiliated with your party of choice at the national level.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
If you simply count the scientific polls that have been conducted in those states since Aug. 1, Mr. Obama has led in 13 of them, Mr. Romney has led in 11, and there have been two exact ties.

swingaug-popup.jpg

This marks a contrast from June and July, when Mr. Obama held leads in polls of the top 10 states about four times as often as Mr. Romney did.

If you read the fine print on the polls, then things don’t look quite as good for Mr. Romney. In the polls where Mr. Obama has held a lead, it has generally been by a somewhat larger margin than when Mr. Romney does. And the polling firms that have been most active in the states recently have been a bit Republican-leaning on balance — and a few of the polls have been outright weird.

So far in August, we’ve logged 35 state polls in our database, counting both swing states and noncompetitive ones. That puts us well behind the pace from four years ago, when there were more than one hundred state polls conducted in the month of August.

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytime...howing-improved-results-in-swing-state-polls/

I disagree with this assessment because the dynamics of local politics can be very different from those of national level politics and often times, there is a very good reason, on a local level, to vote for a candidate that is not affiliated with your party of choice at the national level.

I would say he's kind of correct in a national perspective. Voting for Pres -Senate - House should be the same, unless you really don't like one for some justifiable reason.

But splitting in terms of Pres - Governor - Mayor etc is logical.

reilo

so why the large disparity in amount of polls? Two reasons that come to mind for me. More excitement for first african american president, less uncertainty. I mean in 2008 McCain at some point actually lead for a while.

And it's a re-election election. I imagine that factors into it.

Plus, more and more states are just firmly solid these days.

reilo

Way to attack the "independent thinkers" of the world.

Seriously, fuck those guys.

Every rule has an exception (and I did insert the caveat "in general"). Usually that would only be due to a particular special interest that an individual might have at the local level and would be for a position with limited authority. Another exception is that at the local level, there are occasionally genuinely mentally ill people who wind up on a ballot for either party.

reilo

He set up a trust for his grandkids and kicked in about seven times Barack Obama’s net worth, which at $11.8 million is not inconsiderable but probably less than Romney’s tax bill in a good year.

LOL

So this week we have seen the GOP shit away women and hispanics, and in past weeks with the Chick Fil A issue any gays they might have had. And they are balancing on a tight rope with seniors every time Paul Ryan talks

So how do they expect to win in November? Old White Men and their misguided wives?
Yeah, it is kinda astounding the number of subgroups alienated by the GOP:
-Women
-Palestinians
-Latinos
-African Americans
-Homosexuals
-Scientists
-Muslims
-Atheists

Can you win when you've alienate that many groups? Granted, many of those groups are small and there is overlap. But he'll need to win his prime demographic by huge margin in order to overcome the losses in all those subgroups.

Eh, pretty sure it's meant to be a joke. For one thing, if we're talking about alpha male status games, I'm pretty sure "I have a lot of money" loses to "I'm the fucking President."

I mean, that's the whole reason Mittens wants it, yes?

Edit:
Oh, there are two more pages. Hmm, yeah. Not sure what's going on there.

Its their cover story.

cover_120827_toc.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom