• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loudninja

More stupidity

Sheriff candidate says he wouldn't reject deadly force to stop abortions
Republican candidate for Hillsborough County Sheriff said Wednesday that he believes elective abortions are unlawful and he wouldn't reject the use of deadly force to stop them.

Frank Szabo said that as sheriff, he would arrest any doctor performing elective or late-term abortions in his jurisdiction.

"There is a difference between legal and lawful," Szabo said.
But Szabo may have inflamed the issue further when asked if he would use deadly force to prevent an abortion.

"I would respond specifically by saying that if someone is under threat, a full-grown human being, if they're under threat, what should the sheriff do? Everything in their power to prevent them from being harmed," he said.

When pressed about what he would do if he learned that a doctor was about to perform an elective abortion, Szabo replied he would do what it took to prevent that from happening.

"Absolutely," he said. "Well, I would hope that it wouldn't come to that, as with any situation where someone is in danger, but again, specifically talking about elective abortions and late-term abortions, that is an act that needs to be stopped."
http://www.wmur.com/news/politics/S...ions/-/9857748/16225528/-/9c091s/-/index.html

Piecake

What the fuck.

Republican House Speaker Bill O'Brien called on Szabo to quit the race in light of his statements.

"Mr. Szabo's comments make it clear that he does not understand the constitutional role of sheriff in New Hampshire. Moreover, no elected official is given the latitude to take the law into his or her own hands and decide he or she knows better than the Legislature and governor what should be enforceable laws," O'Brien said in a written statement. "It is our hope that Mr. Szabo will withdraw from this race and think long and hard about grounding himself in constitutional law and principles before considering political office in the future.

Well, at least the republican party isnt totally insane

That dude is a complete nutter though. Apparently he thinks a sheriff answers to no one and can do whatever the fuck he wants and create his own laws

Jackson50

It's worth noting that 1980 is only eight elections, and that most economic and polling data dates back to at least the sixties -- which means that what they really mean is that they have a 50% success rate for the elections we have data for (or they'd mention more elections).
Yeah. The hints of model chicanery are strong.
That looks believable to me.
More stupidity

Sheriff candidate says he wouldn't reject deadly force to stop abortions

http://www.wmur.com/news/politics/S...ions/-/9857748/16225528/-/9c091s/-/index.html
Thank God someone's willing to stand up for righteousness.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I'm sure it's been mentioned, but Paul Ryan was a goddamned robot with his interview today. He just kept repeating the same line "rape is bad" over and over again. Homeboy's absoultely shitbaked at ths point.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm sure it's been mentioned, but Paul Ryan was a goddamned robot with his interview today. He just kept repeating the same line "rape is bad" over and over again. Homeboy's absoultely shitbaked at ths point.

I was sitting there wondering if, like Romney, he needed a software patch.

Measley

What a load of shit. Romney would have to win every industrial swing state. Half of those states heavily benefited from the auto bailouts he opposed. Also Ohio's economy is good, so Romney's economic disaster stump speech doesn't go over well in the state.

My question is this; How the hell does Romney debate coherently when he's switched positions on everything? Obama is going to expose him on national television.

pigeon

Banned
What if Romney turns into Ronald Reagan?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_1984

I still don't understand, how did the guy, win by THAT much!

* Walter Mondale ran on the platform that raising taxes was a necessity and he would take the high ground by being honest about it. He was, guess what, a deficit hawk.
* He also favored a unilateral freeze on nuclear weapons.
* Mondale's VP pick was a woman. Remember, it was the 80s.
* The economy was starting to improve.
* Mondale wasn't a Southerner.
* He still got 40% of the vote.

So has their been talk of the CBO report? http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_...oming-if-congress-doesnt-act-on-fiscal-cliff/

This is really scary news :/

Well, this has been under discussion for a while now. Yes, if nobody acts on the tax cuts/sequestration, we're going to have a double-dip. But the deadline to act on them is after the election, so nobody's going to do anything until then.

markatisu

LOL @ that one map giving Romney the win, so Obama would win IA but lose OH, PA, and CO......no way in hell is that based in any sort of reality

RDreamer

Whoa

Even as Republicans try to distance themselves from Rep. Todd Akin (R-MO) and his explosive comments about “legitimate rape,” more evidence has emerged linking Mitt Romney himself to the controversial doctor and anti-abortion activist behind Akin’s discredited claim that rape does not often result in pregnancy. Dr. John Willke, one of the founders of the anti-abortion movement and Akin’s source, told the Daily Telegraph today that he had a private meeting with Romney in Cincinnati last October. Willke said that Romney thanked him for his support and told him, “we agree on almost everything.” It was revealed earlier this week that Romney had also touted Willke’s support during his 2008 presidential campaign, even referring to him as an “important surrogate.” The Romney campaign declined to comment to the Daily Telegraph about Dr. Willke’s comments.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Dems and Obama I only have one thing to say:

Take this and run with it like your life depends on it.

Politicians in decades past would've KILLED for political opportunities like this.

Indeed. If Republicans think they can legitimately cite Bill Ayers and Rev Wright as reasons for concern, this becomes hard to defend against without sounding hypocritical. Again.

Averon

Indeed. If Republicans think they can legitimately cite Bill Ayers and Rev Wright as reasons for concern, this becomes hard to defend against without sounding hypocritical. Again.

The GOP stopped caring about sounding hypocritical years ago. Doesn't help that they media rarely calls them out on their hypocrisy.

Here is a link the Press Release where Mitt tout's John Wilke's endorsement:
http://web.archive.org/web/20071227...ey.com/News/Press-Releases/Endorsement_Willke

Saturday, Oct 20, 2007
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Boston, MA – Today, Dr. John Willke, a founder of the Pro Life Movement, endorsed Governor Mitt Romney and his campaign for our nation's highest office. Dr. Willke is a leading voice within the pro-life community and will be an important surrogate for Governor Romney's pro-life and pro-family agenda.

"Unlike other candidates who only speak to the importance of confronting the major social issues of the day, Governor Romney has a record of action in defending life. Every decision he made as Governor was on the side of life. I know he will be the strong pro-life President we need in the White House," said Dr. Willke. "Governor Romney is the only candidate who can lead our pro-life and pro-family conservative movement to victory in 2008."

Welcoming Dr. Willke's announcement, Governor Romney said, "I am proud to have the support of a man who has meant so much to the pro-life movement in our country. He knows how important it is to have someone in Washington who will actively promote pro-life policies. Policies that include more than appointing judges who will follow the law but also opposing taxpayer funded abortion and partial birth abortion. I look forward to working with Dr. Willke and welcome him to Romney for President."

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
This is too easy. Quote featuring Akin supporting Willke or vice versa. Quote featuring Romney supporting Willke or vice versa. Run ad in every swing state. The End.

Not a dagger. You guys overestimate intelligence, memory, or the faculty to care amongst the voting public of America.

The posts are almost annoying.

Opiate

Not a dagger. You guys overestimate intelligence, memory, or the faculty to care amongst the voting public of America.

We are constantly reminded of the scandalous, incompetent nature of the Romney campaign through an endless stream of TPM and Thinkprogress links, as if to spell the end of Romneys election hopes.

And then you look at the polls and see that very little has changed over the last few months; Romney was slightly behind in June and hes slightly behind now. Very clearly, this stuff matters less than most people here think it does. Or should.

I wish things were that easy but people where talking about the "firms" ad like it ended the race (probably me included). Voters often tune this stuff out or distrust it. I think there should be ads about all of this stuff but its not going to end the race. Mitt's been getting hit like this forever and he's still somewhat close.

We are constantly reminded of the scandalous, incompetent nature of the Romney campaign through an endless stream of TPM and Thinkprogress links, as if to spell the end of Romneys election hopes.

And then you look at the polls and see that very little has changed over the last few months; Romney was slightly behind in June and hes slightly behind now. Very clearly, this stuff matters less than most people here think it does. Or should.

This is why I like watching right wing and mainstream media (the nightly news) just to see how these things play there. Its a much different world than it is in this bubble.

If the media actually DID ITS FUCKING JOB, then Romney's poll numbers wouldn't even be close to Obama's.

But they constantly want to play the narrative that this will be close when in reality it's not even near that.

If the media actually DID ITS FUCKING JOB, then Romney's poll numbers wouldn't even be close to Obama's.

But they constantly want to play the narrative that this will be close when in reality it's not even near that.

The media doesn't have that much sway in a lot of people's mind. Its not just a magic wand. Some people just believe this stuff.

Would it help? Yes. Would it change everything and make the race a landslide? Not even close.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!

Blaming the media is for the other side, buddy.

It is going to be reported by all the usual suspects. It might even get the point of overreporting...who knows? What I do know, however, is that there is no dagger in this or damn near any newsreporting.

You could have Romney, on tape, saying "I have always supported the idea that legitimate rape cannot result in pregnancy. It's science" and it would get a minor dip for like a week while he or whoever else would walk back the comment. Then, his numbers would go back up.

People don't care. The sooner everyone realizes this, the sooner you will all be much more

A)happier in life
B)disillusioned with the idea of an intelligent voting bloc
C) combination of both.

for the most part, I agree with you AB. But if Romney did say that, it would be over.

This election is going to stay close at least until the debates. There, something may happen.

The economy isn't good enough to allow Obama to pull away and the GOP platform won't be killed in the mainstream media enough to matter.

RDreamer

I think this stuff does matter. Romney's favorables in pretty well every poll are very low. The problem is that Obama has a low favorability too in them, because of attacks going on with the other side, and because the economy is low. This stuff does matter, and it's what's keeping Obama ahead. I'm not sure if you saw that odd prediction that everyone was laughing at earlier. Well wasn't that modeled mostly on economic reasoning? On purely economic grounds Obama should be dead in the water. Not because of his handling on the economy really, but because people tend to want things to get better and will vote someone else in as another alternative. Well, Romney's that alternative that should be winning this, quite handily. He isn't, and I think it's because these small things pile up. Yes not all of them make it into the mainstream and a normal person probably only heard of a handful of the things we post in here. But the more things happen the more people will hear that new little piece, and the more his favorability goes down. Yes the race is still close, but that's the economy.

leroidys

So if the female body naturally aborts a fetus if its from a rape-rape baby, then...

what is the difference getting it aborted at a clinic? The fertilized egg is terminated either way.

Al-ibn Kermit

^It was something about the body "shutting down" the conception process. I guess the uterus has a secret pouch of spermicide.

Blaming the media is for the other side, buddy.

It is going to be reported by all the usual suspects. It might even get the point of overreporting...who knows? What I do know, however, is that there is no dagger in this or damn near any newsreporting.

You could have Romney, on tape, saying "I have always supported the idea that legitimate rape cannot result in pregnancy. It's science" and it would get a minor dip for like a week while he or whoever else would walk back the comment. Then, his numbers would go back up.

People don't care. The sooner everyone realizes this, the sooner you will all be much more

A)happier in life
B)disillusioned with the idea of an intelligent voting bloc
C) combination of both.

I don't think you can expect any gaffe/flip-flop/controversy to cause a permanent dip in polls. The point is that you use this mistake along with several others in the couple weeks immediately before the election, remind voters of all the reasons not to vote for the candidate.

That is the best way to appeal to voters who are actually undecided.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom