• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
I just read that Weigel review, which led me to look up the founder of WND. Holy shit that guy has the best bad mustache ever.

I really enjoyed how Priebus denied everything, and then went right back into the very thing Matthews was talking about. The crowd applauding Matthews for taking Priebus to the woodshed was icing on the cake.
I listen to the 10 or 15 minute clip that Hardball makes available via podcast. And I have to say, I'm not surprised that Matthews went off on him. He's been quite partisan lately and he especially HATES the fringe GOP stuff. The birther stuff, the raped-women-don't-pregnant stuff, etc. He seems to take that stuff quite personally . . . that stuff is not just standard politics.

Health care ain't cheap. Also this is kinda creepy.

It is glorious free-market capitalism at work.

I don't remember much from the Ayn Rand books I read some 20+ years ago but I remember a character remarking about how a pair of tits can still get you somewhere.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Speaking of weighted polls:

NMSTl.png

:lol

TIME/CNN

Florida

Obama 50
Romney 46

North Carolina

Romney 48
Obama 47

Both are of likely voters. With registered voters, Obama's up by 9 in Florida (51-42) and 2 in NC (48-46).

Definitely promising.

codhand

Romney leading and tying Obama on Medicare in two recent polls

Dem message is not as effective as advertised

True but I mean, do dems need to be ahead on every single issue? Maybe Romney should take this tie in health care polling and apply it to winning 1% of the black vote. Romney is getting trounced on so many issues/demographics, is a tie in medicare really gonna be the difference maker?

Romney leading and tying Obama on Medicare in two recent polls
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/abc-wapo-poll-romney-has-slight-advantage-on?ref=fpblg

Dem message is not as effective as advertised

Isn't this positive for Dems? What was once a big advantage is now slight. That's a victory. Don't need to be ahead of Romney, just close the gap.

Obama is down nearly 20 points with white votes in Florida.

getting 24% of conservative vote and 58% of moderate, though.

Isn't this positive for Dems? What was once a big advantage is now slight. That's a victory. Don't need to be ahead of Romney, just close the gap.

haha, what? One might be able to argue that if this lowers Romney's numbers with elderly voters that is a plus. But Obama should have a clear lead on Medicare. This tells me that Ryan isn't hurting the ticket as advertised, and the House is not in danger of flipping.

gcubed

haha, what? One might be able to argue that if this lowers Romney's numbers with elderly voters that is a plus. But Obama should have a clear lead on Medicare. This tells me that Ryan isn't hurting the ticket as advertised, and the House is not in danger of flipping.

i have no idea on what the numbers were prior. If Romney held a significant lead over Obama on Medicare and now its even, your point is moot.

Clear lead? Have you ever met old people? It's not easy to change their minds much.

Closing the gap is all that matters. Sure, some on here thought Ryan meant death, but that's them being overzealous.

Is this true?

Obama got 45% in '08 of 65+. These numbers suggest more (since not everyone voted). And I'd argue coming into 2012, Obama started below 45%.

reilo

Did Romney have a bigger lead on Medicare before Ryan and that lead has now trended towards Obama?

If so, how is that a bad thing for Obama?

Did Romney have a bigger lead on Medicare before Ryan and that lead has now trended towards Obama?

If so, how is that a bad thing for Obama?

PD's argument is it didn't completely flip. But again, anyone who thought old people would change in droves is fooling themselves. Old people will believe the earth is flat against all evidence if they always believed it.

No offense to any old people. Just an observation.

reilo

PD's argument is it didn't completely flip. But again, anyone who thought old people would change in droves is fooling themselves. Old people will believe the earth is flat against all evidence if they always believed it.

/rolleyes

Obama is clearly far and ahead on many important issues over Romney and moving even further away on those, and the leads Romney had on certain issues are vanishing the closer we approach the election.

How anyone can think that's a "bad" sign for Obama must be... oh.

The argument the left has made for two years is that the Ryan budget is so toxic that it flips old people, who according to most polling are vehemently opposed to it. Yet we have multiple polls showing old people sticking with Romney/Ryan, and no mass exodus to democrats. If it's true that the Ryan plan isn't as toxic as advertised than you can kiss Speaker Pelosi dreams goodbye. Likewise, Obama loses what should have been a potent talking point in multiple states.

The argument the left has made for two years is that the Ryan budget is so toxic that it flips old people, who according to most polling are vehemently opposed to it. Yet we have multiple polls showing old people sticking with Romney/Ryan, and no mass exodus to democrats. If it's true that the Ryan plan isn't as toxic as advertised than you can kiss Speaker Pelosi dreams goodbye. Likewise, Obama loses what should have been a potent talking point in multiple states.

eh, costing them the House is hard to say. It'll come down to Obama's total popular vote in the end. Districts and stuff affect this more.

That said, I've never believed they'd win the House this election. And I don't think the Dems believe it, either.

And the Dems are going to pretend to be overzealous. That's a politician's job in the media. MCCAIN GONNA WIN TOMORROW NIGHT, Y'ALL SEE!!!!

reilo

... but he leads on the Medicare issue in the CNN poll.

Do we know what the numbers were before the Ryan pick?

eznark

Banned
Maybe I'm thinking of a different Ohio poll then, because I recall one of them being at the very bottom of Nate Silver's rankings for at least two of the last three cycles

However, it might be noted that all forms of survey research — certainly including telephone polling — face a problem of low response rates. And historically, the performance of the Columbus Dispatch poll has been about average, with some strong years and some poor ones.

If its survey differed greatly from the consensus, I would be a little wary of it — but showing a tie in Ohio is not that different from the average of surveys there, which puts Mr. Obama ahead but by a narrow margin. In short, I don’t have any problem including Dispatch’s survey alongside the rest of the Ohio polls. Mr. Romney’s chances of winning Ohio improved slightly in our forecast as a result of the poll, increasing to 33 percent from 31 percent on Saturday.

Silver

reilo

Also, what's the polling breakdown of that ABC/WaPo poll?

METHODOLOGY – This ABC News/Washington Post poll was conducted by telephone Aug. 22-25, 2012, among a random national sample of 857 registered voters (out of 1,002 adults overall), including landline and cell-phone-only respondents.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Don't forget part of this nonsense about medicare is built on top of the post-Obamacare/Death-Panels hilarity from a couple years ago.

okay, searched a bit further and they were definitely at/near the bottom in 2008 and 2010, but then I don't think Silver takes those rankings much into account anymore :p

perhaps their historical performance has been decent, I wouldn't know, but I'd still cite the UC/Ohio Poll (which does currently show tossups in both races) well before this

thefro

Also, what's the polling breakdown of that ABC/WaPo poll?

It seems pretty goofy, because Obama is absolutely DESTROYING Romney in the internals amongst all adults (like up 10 points), but is down 1 amongst registered voters. There was only a 2-3 point difference between all adults & RVs in their earlier polls.

Also, if Obama stays at 50% in Florida amongst LV, you can stick a fork in Romney.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
And pretending that the medicare polling being equal is a sign that the Ryan VP pick hasn't been a complete disaster is ridiculously childish. Look at the numbers, dudes. There was no bump, which really means there was a bump but it was overcome by declining numbers across the board. Romney's in (more) trouble.

gcubed

It seems pretty goofy, because Obama is absolutely DESTROYING Romney in the internals amongst all adults (like up 10 points), but is down 1 amongst registered voters. There was only a 2-3 point difference between all adults & RVs in their earlier polls.

Also, if Obama stays at 50% in Florida amongst LV, you can stick a fork in Romney.

The Ohio Dispatch poll used the 2010 midterm breakdowns, Gallup I believe also does this, its an awkward choice to use mid term breakdowns on a general election year, but we'll see.

okay, searched a bit further and they were definitely at/near the bottom in 2008 and 2010, but then I don't think Silver takes those rankings much into account anymore :p

perhaps their historical performance has been decent, I wouldn't know, but I'd still cite the UC/Ohio Poll (which does currently show tossups in both races) well before this
He still ranks them to some degree - Rasmussen polls aren't counted for much, for example.

A lot of pollsters are weighting for a repeat of 2010. I think it's after most of them predicted a sample in 2010 somewhere between 2006 and 2008's heavily Dem electorates that clearly didn't happen. (except Gallup which had Republicans up by like 15 points)

Tim-E

The Romney camp was actually ready for the Medicare attacks the second Ryan was added to the ticket, and the "Obama cut $700b for Obamacare" stuff seems to have a bit of staying power, despite the fact that it's a garbage claim. The Obama camp has been strangely quiet this month in comparison to July. My guess is they wanted to spend the early summer months building a narrative about who Romney is before he gets a chance to do it himself and is now just letting the VP pick/convention stuff play out before they go all in with their resources. Those are things that are just going to get a lot of media attention regardless of what the President is doing, so he's not trying to fight them for media coverage when he most likely won't get noticed for much while this stuff is going on. I suspect that they'll go back to being aggressive with their messaging once the conventions are over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom