• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

DasRaven

Does Bams troll Romney today by thanking him for providing the blueprint for Obamacare?

I expect something like this:
"This idea of universal coverage, pioneered in MA by then Gov. Mitt Romney, and expanded nationally by the ACA, has been affirmed by the SCOTUS."

Give him a big hug to today's decision, but not actually thank him.

I think the funniest thing about all of this is that the only reason there was all this brouhaha is that Congress refused to call this a tax, the solicitor general and the president, as well. The wording didn't include tax, etc.

but the "activist court" (LOL) has said, "Look, I know you were playing politics here, but this thing is obviously a tax, don't be daft"

Pretty much, lol.

WH: "It's not a tax-"

SCOTUS: "Yeah, it is and you know it. Just call it what it is and we're good."

Amir0x

Banned
Consider it settled, but a question on the powers of the court: Is the Supreme Court allowed to change the wording of legislation to make it constitutional? I don't think there was any question that Congress could have passed the mandate as a tax, but it was passed as a penalty under the Commerce Clause, the President vehemently denied it was a tax, and as such, is the Court technically given this power?

Let's say a piece of legislation comes up and a senator from Alaska attaches a provision that any American who does not visit Alaska and purchase a park pass in a given year must pay a $10 penalty (or whatever the cost of the pass is). Is that now constitutional?

Lyle:
For all of those who second-guessed the Solicitor General's defense of ACA, it might be worth noting that the tax defense of the mandate was, indeed, an argument that the government lawyer did advance.

DasRaven

Loving how the GOP Congressional leaders are saying that this makes the election about HCR and that only full repeal will do. Oh really? How do you plan to do that with this Rominee? How do you plan to make that case to seniors(donut hole), young people(parents plan) or insurers(we want day money).

BTW: This is in honest keeping with Roberts' clear preference for corporate solutions to public ones. Mandate falls, Medicare for All advances. In this decision, mandate remains, Medicare for All stalls yet again and Medicaid expansion is slowed somewhat.

eznark

Banned
BTW: Loving how the GOP Congressional leaders are saying that this makes the election about HCR and that only full repeal will do. Oh really? How do you plan to do that with this Rominee? How do you plan to make that case to seniors(donut hole), young people(parents plan) or insurers(we want day money).

Don't polls show more Americans oppose Obamacare than support it? I mean, it isn't that far fetched a plan.

LosDaddie

Banned
I expect something like this:
"This idea of universal coverage, pioneered in MA by then Gov. Mitt Romney, and expanded nationally by the ACA, has been affirmed by the SCOTUS."

Give him a big hug to today's decision, but not actually thank him.

Come on, Obama. Give us a speech. :)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yeah, seeing how Romney responds immediately and seeing how Romney responds when Obama inevitably brings it up in the debates is going to be veeeeeery interesting

DasRaven

Don't polls show more Americans oppose Obamacare than support it? I mean, it isn't that far fetched a plan.

Polls show that Americans oppose the caraciture that the GOP has made of it, but love everything in it except the individual mandate.

Now, with the individual mandate is affirmed by SCOTUS, I fully expect (perhaps foolishly) that Dems and the Administration will frame it as a (laughingly small) tax and a bunch of well liked policies.

BTW: Here's the before. Where's the after picture?
AweqGwnCAAMX-Aw.jpg

Kosmo

Banned
Interested in seeing the ramifications of this, if any.

This could be real interesting. If a lot of the coverage was coming from expanding Medicaid and States decide to just hold at their current levels, those people won't get coverage.

How about Roberts didn't think it was unconstitutional? Is that radical idea a possibility instead of assigning him all this bizarre motivations to justify your previous hate for the man?

Ha. Agreed. He had a majority for striking down the mandate if that's what he wanted.

Romney will be forced to talk about this for the next 48 hours to a week, but look for him to pivot off of healthcare as fast as possible. The Supreme Court basically made Obamacare the equal of Romneycare and Romney will not want to try and explain the differences (as funny as that would be). Anyone who thinks this is a win for Romney is insane. The same people up in arms today were already voting to vote for Romney, enthusiastically or not. In addition, if Romney gets sucked into shifting from the economy towards healthcare by the extreme right, that would be a MASSIVE mistake.

eznark

Banned
Romney will be forced to talk about this for the next 48 hours to a week, but look for him to pivot off of healthcare as fast as possible. The Supreme Court basically made Obamacare the equal of Romneycare and Romney will not want to try and explain the differences (as funny as that would be). Anyone who thinks this is a win for Romney is insane. The same people up in arms today were already voting to vote for Romney, enthusiastically or not.

Not a chance. Look for him to go all in on "largest tax hike in history" and " Obama pledged to not raise taxes on middle income Americans."

Kosmo

Banned
Not a chance. Look for him to go all in on "largest tax hike in history" and " Obama pledged to not raise taxes on middle income Americans."

This.

Government aiding a handful of corporations to get even richer under the guise of 'helping people'? That's been going on for quite awhile.

Looking forward to my bonus the next couple years!

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Romney will be forced to talk about this for the next 48 hours to a week, but look for him to pivot off of healthcare as fast as possible. The Supreme Court basically made Obamacare the equal of Romneycare and Romney will not want to try and explain the differences (as funny as that would be). Anyone who thinks this is a win for Romney is insane. The same people up in arms today were already voting to vote for Romney, enthusiastically or not. In addition, if Romney gets sucked into shifting from the economy towards healthcare by the extreme right, that would be a MASSIVE mistake.

Good summary on why Romney really won't attack this, he can... but..
The video just posted shows why he won't.

I hope so, that would be idiotic on his part. I'll say again for the millionth time, when Romney isn't talking about the economy, he's losing.

I'd imagine there will be some traction with the tax argument, but Obama should be able to retort effectively. This is a .9% tax increase on people making what, $250k? Good luck freaking out over that

In a room with a bunch of small business owners. They went ballistic like ten minutes ago (apparently breaking news emails are slow as fuuuck) and we had to call an hour break.

I wonder how many of them will come back. My guess is not many.

Under the ACA most of them won't even have to bother offering health insurance.

Regardless, I'm reading the opinion. It's surprisingly well written. Most SCOTUS' opinions are messes.

(Like the time I had to read past precedent on Telecommunications Act cases.)

Pretty easy to rope tax hike into economy talking points.

Pretty easy to tie Romney to taxing the people of Mass for the SAME THING. There is so much video of Romney out there talking about how taxing people who don't get coverage in order to lower healthcare costs is a great idea.

eznark

Banned
^ oh absolutely, I'm not saying its smart I'm saying it is what will happen.

Under the ACA most of them won't even have to bother offering health insurance.

Regardless, I'm reading the opinion. It's surprisingly well written. Most SCOTUS' opinions are messes.

(Like the time I had to read past precedent on Telecommunications Act cases.)

You understand that the accepted SBA definition of a small business (for most industries) is under 500 employees right? These guys aren't small business owners, they are "small business" owners.

None have yet returned.

Also shocking how quickly people have come around on Roberts!

You understand that the accepted SBA definition of a small business (for most industries) is under 500 employees right? These guys aren't small business owners, they are "small business" owners.

None have yet returned.

Oh, ok, gotcha.

I thought you were referring to genuine small business owners. Not "small business owners."

My mistake!

Roberts is a mad genius.

He found a way to further limit the authority of the Commerce Clause, while also finding a way to avoid political blowback by striking down the PPACA.

I don't agree with it, but I have to applaud him for that move. That was smooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom