• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

dramatis

There's actually two interpretations on the prevailing opinions side. A lot of focus seems to be put on Roberts's idea that it is a tax, but the Ginsburg opinion (which I think Breyer, Sotomayor, and Kagan concur with (it's actually more complicated than this because there's parts they concurr with and dissent with in the Roberts opinion)) states:
Unlike THE CHIEF JUSTICE, however, I would hold, alternatively, that the Commerce Clause authorizes Congress to enact the minimum coverage provision. I would also hold that the Spending Clause permits the Medicaid expansion exactly as Congress enacted it.
Page 66-67 of the opinion here. Technomancer!

The mandate being a tax? That's solely Roberts's own opinion.

The tally looks a bit more like 4 + 1 vs. 4.

eznark

Banned
I think this helps senators and congressmen more than Romney. He has no leg to stand on but guys like Neumann in WI can run hard on winning back the senate and "killing the devastatin tax hike on middle America trying to claw out of this recession"

scaled.php

Jackson50

During one of the Republican primary debates, Santorum assailed Romney about health care. And Romney responded with a cogent argument elucidating why the provisions were necessary. Only, it was also an apt defense of the ACA. Romney is the best proponent of health care reform.
Prediction: This changes absolutely nothing in the presidential race. After people stop talking about it in a few days, things will go on just as they have been.
I've made this argument for a while. Obviously, the consequences of the decision were significant for society. Yet the political ramifications will be negligible.
Yeah, mandates being up held is definitely good for Romney.

Kindly shut up.
Thank you.

anyone read thomas's two page dissent? hilarious and predictable. he says this case is evidence that the existing commerce clause jurisprudence is too broad . . . even though the mandate was held unconstitutional under the existing commerce clause law.

i swear his clerks just ctrl+V his opinions

Hey, completely off-topic, but I'm watching that Rubio interview on The Daily Show from a few days ago...

Rubio is a very well-spoken, charismatic guy. I'm not as offended as some other people are by him. Yeah, he seems to spew some RNC bullet-points, but I think he really does offer a great charisma that's lost on current Republicans in this modern age. He seems to acknowledge how both parties are ineffective, and how his own party is making very crucial, harmful mistakes. I don't now, I kinda like the man. Wouldn't vote for him if I ever had the chance, but I can dig him.

Michele Bachmann just said on CNN that the house will vote to repeal "Obamacare" before November, but admitted the vote would be "for show only"............LOL. I thought this Republican congress was supposed to be all about jobs?

anyone read thomas's two page dissent? hilarious and predictable. he says this case is evidence that the existing commerce clause jurisprudence is too broad . . . even though the mandate was held unconstitutional under the existing commerce clause law.

Incorrect. This case actually carved out a new exception.

(Feel free to throw egg at my face if I'm wrong.)

I think this helps senators and congressmen more than Romney. He has no leg to stand on but guys like Neumann in WI can run hard on winning back the senate and "killing the devastatin tax hike on middle America trying to claw out of this recession"

Yes because otherwise republicans were not going to run against Obama and his "largest tax in US history." Right

*cough* bush tax cuts exiring

Tamanon

Banned
Hey, completely off-topic, but I'm watching that Rubio interview on The Daily Show from a few days ago...

Rubio is a very well-spoken, charismatic guy. I'm not as offended as some other people are by him. Yeah, he seems to spew some RNC bullet-points, but I think he really does offer a great charisma that's lost on current Republicans in this modern age. He seems to acknowledge how both parties are ineffective, and how his own party is making very crucial, harmful mistakes. I don't now, I kinda like the man. Wouldn't vote for him if I ever had the chance, but I can dig him.

I think he has a good shot if he runs in 2016.

And, knew I was confident for a reason.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

Worst supreme court justice of our time.

I agree with this. Romney just has no leg to stand on where as those running for the House and Senate will hit this hard.

Chumly

Michele Bachmann just said on CNN that the house will vote to repeal "Obamacare" before November, but admitted the vote would be "for show only"............LOL. I thought this Republican congress was supposed to be all about jobs?
The whole republican party is for "show"

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Yeah, that was the impression I got as well. Its just a shame that Stewart had to spend like ten minutes trying (and failing) to get him to wrap his head around the idea that there are more ways to grow the economy then just giving money to private businesses.

Jackson50

If it helps Republican Congressional candidates, does that not also benefit Romney?

Romney will be forced to talk about this for the next 48 hours to a week, but look for him to pivot off of healthcare as fast as possible. The Supreme Court basically made Obamacare the equal of Romneycare and Romney will not want to try and explain the differences (as funny as that would be). Anyone who thinks this is a win for Romney is insane. The same people up in arms today were already voting to vote for Romney, enthusiastically or not. In addition, if Romney gets sucked into shifting from the economy towards healthcare by the extreme right, that would be a MASSIVE mistake.

Immigration and then healthcare. It's a bad week for the Rombot.

Being in Florida while he was running for Senator, I can say with confidence that you just haven't heard him enough.

lol, the republican poster boy for practical conservatism in the federal judiciary screwed republicans over.

Never saw that one coming. And I'm loving it. The salty tears will last a long time.

Jackson50

^ I don't think so. It would have helped anyone but Romney. Unfortunately for him he is a fucko who forced this down the throat of MA residents when Obama was still an unknown.
Perhaps, although I disagree. Romney may not have credibility, but this is primarily a partisan issue. And Romney would benefit, if only accidentally, for being the nominee of the party which opposes it. But I don't think it will be politically consequential, so I'm not going to belabor the point.

Seems clear republicans had no alternative plan. House republicans had no plan to replace the bill with if it was repealed, Romney had no plan to replace it with if it was upheld. Whoops.

If he doesn't release a repeal plan by October...lol. THIS is the guy republicans bet their chips on?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Perhaps, although I disagree. Romney may not have credibility, but this is primarily a partisan issue. And Romney would benefit, if only accidentally, for being the nominee of the party which opposes it. But I don't think it will be politically consequential, so I'm not going to belabor the point.

I don't either, I think the only real thing we get out of this politically is going to be a few amazing debate moments.

Seems clear republicans had no alternative plan. House republicans had no plan to replace the bill with if it was repealed, Romney had no plan to replace it with if it was upheld. Whoops.

If he doesn't release a repeal plan by October...lol. THIS is the guy republicans bet their chips on?

I guarantee there will be no plan, it will be "repeal & replace" all the way to election day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom