• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clevinger

d7oth.jpg

To be fair, most people genuinely don't like the mandate and would be able to name that. The only problem is, you can't get the really nice things in the bill without it.

Zen

Banned
So the end result in all this is that Obamacare forces me to pay a private company for a service that I don't want, because I'm not poor enough to get it for free? Awesome.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So the end result in all this is that Obamacare forces me to pay a private company for a service that I don't want, because I'm not poor enough to get it for free? Awesome.

Because when you need healthcare it will be provided for you and if you haven't been paying then the rest of us foot your bill, yes.

Clevinger

That's better than me having to pay for people like you when you get sick without insurance.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

No, the end result is better, more affordable healthcare for everyone and the removal of a needless drag on the economy. That is literally the end result. If you don't like the mandate then presumably you don't like roads or an active military either.

If the Affordable Healthcare Act is allowed to function as intended, it will reduce the deficit, improve our healthcare and improve the economy. No sensible person is even disputing that characterization, including the GAO.

No, the end result is better, more affordable healthcare for everyone and the removal of a needless drag on the economy. That is literally the end result. If you don't like the mandate then presumably you don't like roads or an active military either.

Crap. You mean I gotta pay for people to put out fires at another person's house?

Da fudge?

I have a question about the penalty...err, tax for non-compliance. If you don't comply, they can't exactly lien your property, pursue you for criminal or civil penalties under the tax code. So what can they exactly make you do in order to comply if you don't pay up or get the insurance?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Rubio just destroyed the liberalses' false equivalency argument:

On Romney supporting the individual mandate in Massachusetts: “But what a big difference. He supported it on the state level. Which means if you didn’t like it in Massachusetts, you could move to another state."

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America

So if you get in accident I, who already pays for insurance, would have to help pay your bills.

Tamanon

Banned
I have a question about the penalty...err, tax for non-compliance. If you don't comply, they can't exactly lien your property, pursue you for criminal or civil penalties under the tax code. So what can they exactly make you do in order to comply if you don't pay up or get the insurance?

If it's just interpreted as a regular tax penalty, they can eventually garnish your wages I believe.

If it's just interpreted as a regular tax penalty, they can eventually garnish your wages I believe.

The law expressly prohibits things like that. I believe the only thing they can actually punish you for is withholding a tax refund. The IRS can't do anything else.

I didn't see Jean Schmidt's meltdown when she thought health care was struck down:

Link

Kind of funny, but at the same time not.

Because wow, she really felt emotional. Goes to show how deeply felt this issue is; because these are human beings who feel compassion for their fellow man. As opposed to what we get on the other side these days
I liked when she started screaming IT'S A TAX, IT'S A TAX.

Can't go 5 seconds without being political, glad she's on her way out.

Fox318

I didn't see Jean Schmidt's meltdown when she thought health care was struck down:

Link

Kind of funny, but at the same time not.

Because wow, she really felt emotional. Goes to show how deeply felt this issue is; because these are human beings who feel compassion for their fellow man. As opposed to what we get on the other side these days

Wow.

"As president, Mitt will nominate judges in the mold of Chief Justice Roberts" -- MittRomney.com

So good.

Edit:

OMG can someone PLEASE take that screenshot and run with it as much as you can? They'll take down that blurb eventually - it NEEDS to be spread!! (i.e. Mitt's facebook page, anywhere!)

So diablos and PD, is this still the worst month of Obama's presidency?

Sure, the jobs numbers could still be terrible, but 2 out of 3 ain't bad (Greece staying in the Eurozone holding off potential collapse, healthcare upheld).

Measley said:
Just wait until Obama wins re-election. That will be one epic meltdown.
Oh man. The bubble some conservatives live in is so big they can't fathom how he'd possibly be re-elected.

I'm in a blue state though so the effect for me will be a little muted. Most of my conservative friends on Facebook are older and don't care much for Romney anyway. If I lived in a swing state like NC I'd enjoy it a bit more.

Chumly

Lol listening to conservatives try and spin this....... The BIGGEST TAX INCREASE IN HISTORY. I keep seeing examples how families only making 30k a year cant afford insurance! Its like people willfully ignore the subsidies.

Lyude77

Can someone explain why congresspeople should vote against holding Holder in contempt of court to me?

I've only heard things supporting the contempt of court charge so far, and my natural tendency is to go for the revealing of information, so I want to hear the counter-point.

On a different note, I'm glad about the health care law being upheld, if only for the selfish reason that I still get to be on my parents' policy (also, I don't believe the people saying it will lead to major tax increases).

So diablos and PD, is this still the worst month of Obama's presidency?

Sure, the jobs numbers could still be terrible, but 2 out of 3 ain't bad (Greece staying in the Eurozone holding off potential collapse, healthcare upheld).

Oh man. The bubble some conservatives live in is so big they can't fathom how he'd possibly be re-elected.

I'm in a blue state though so the effect for me will be a little muted. Most of my conservative friends on Facebook are older and don't care much for Romney anyway. If I lived in a swing state like NC I'd enjoy it a bit more.

Wasn't gas supposed to hit $5 this summer as well?

Tim-E

Can someone explain why congresspeople should vote against holding Holder in contempt of court to me?

I've only heard things supporting the contempt of court charge so far, and my natural tendency is to go for the revealing of information, so I want to hear the counter-point.

On a different note, I'm glad about the health care law being upheld, if only for the selfish reason that I still get to be on my parents' policy (also, I don't believe the people saying it will lead to major tax increases).

The rallying point behind the Fast and Furious case is that republicans believe baseless speculation that it was a secret mission by the Obama administration to get assault rifles to Mexico so they kill people with them. Then they believe that the administration thinks that if the American people see people being killed with assault rifles on the news that they are going to use it to institute an assault rifle ban. There's no actual evidence for this, but the NRA believes it and is going to use this vote to give their ratings to congresspeople. People are afraid of getting a bad rating from the NRA, so they vote for it.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

The contempt charge is for the white houses not providing DOJ documents from February 2011 and beyond for the House's investigation into the extent of Holder's knowledge during the operational window of a program that ended in January 2011.

"This program ceased operations in January 2011. We want to know what you knew about this program during this program's operational window. To do this, we need access to documents from February 2011 (the month after), and beyond. What, you won't let us see them? You say that documents created after the program ended aren't relevant to investigating operational involvement? That only documents from operations and in the lead up to operations are relevant? Fuck you. CONTEMPT! *shakes fist*"

They basically are looking for an excuse for a document dump so they can go boogeyman hunting.

Lyude77

The rallying point behind the Fast and Furious case is that republicans believe baseless speculation that it was a secret mission by the Obama administration to get assault rifles to Mexico so they kill people with them. Then they believe that the administration thinks that if the American people see people being killed with assault rifles on the news that they are going to use it to institute an assault rifle ban. There's no actual evidence for this, but the NRA believes it and is going to use this vote to give their ratings to congresspeople. People are afraid of getting a bad rating from the NRA, so they vote for it.

Haha, wow. Yeah, it would make no sense for Obama to do that. Thanks.

I'd still kinda like to see what's in the documents, though...

The contempt charge is for the white houses not providing DOJ documents from February 2011 and beyond for the House's investigation into the extent of Holder's knowledge during the operational window of a program that ended in January 2011.

"This program ceased operations in January 2011. We want to know what you knew about this program during this program's operational window. To do this, we need access to documents from February 2011 (the month after), and beyond. What, you won't let us see them? You say that documents created after the program ended aren't relevant to investigating operational involvement? That only documents from operations and in the lead up to operations are relevant? Fuck you. CONTEMPT! *shakes fist*"

They basically are looking for an excuse for a document dump so they can go boogeyman hunting.

Ah, thanks. That sheds more light on the situation too.

Chumly

I think the biggest argument is Issa hasn't provided ANY evidence of a cover up and has said he doesn't have any. The whole thing is a non-stop fishing expedition for republicans to try and embarrass the white house. I think its more of a reason why SHOULD they vote him in contempt since I have seen no reason to do so. It reeks of another white water investigation.

I dunno what's more surprising for me. Roberts siding with the four more liberal justices, or my realization of how radical the three more conservative justices (Kennedy in some ways) are.

I mean, Christ, they were going to throw out the entire thing.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I dunno what's more surprising for me. Roberts siding with the four more liberal justices, or my realization of how radical the three more conservative justices (Kennedy in some ways) are.

President Reagan trying to fuck everyone over even from beyond the grave :p

Averon

This is why Obama must be re-elected. Ginsberg probably only has a few years left on the court, if that. President Romney replacing Ginsberg would be a disaster.

My democratic congressman didn't; in fact they voted "yes" on it.

I think I'm voting Mountain Party in all of the state-wide elections in WV. I can't stomach the local democrat party anymore.
Speaking completely as an outsider (MN), it seems like WV Dems kind of suck. But then again, they did actually win seats in the state senate in 2010, so they know how to play the game.

Nate Silver's model is pretty bullish on Obama lately. 65% of winning in November, 75% in the "nowcast" (if the election were held today i think?), hovering in the 290s for EV. If he can get past 300 that'd be rad.

Averon

Jesus. I just read about why the NRA got into thi Fast and Furious business. With Dems largely abandoning gun control and the courts on their side, the NRA must make up these wild conspiracy theories to stay relevant. Got to keep that boogeyman going, I guess.

The complaints from small businesses baffle me. If you cannot pay for your employees, pay the fine - boom, you've just lowered your costs. Meanwhile your employees have control of their own insurance, and no longer have to worry about losing benefits if they lose their job.

How is that not a win win situation?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
The complaints from small businesses baffle me. If you cannot pay for your employees, pay the fine - boom, you've just lowered your costs. Meanwhile your employees have control of their own insurance, and no longer have to worry about losing benefits if they lose their job.

I honestly think that most people complaining don't really understand, or know what the bill actually does.

Portable insurance = employers no longer have death grip over wage slaves.

Portable insurance = employers no longer have death grip over wage slaves.

True.

I'd love to get eznark's opinion on this, as a business man. I work with (dental) insurance and we're completely at the mercy of insurance companies, as our the patients. And when patients lose their job or go through a transition period, there's nothing they can do. Most people would probably love to have complete control of their insurance through an exchange pool.

Meltdown? We all know that if Obama wins reelection it's due to voter fraud. Did you not see what he did for those illegals?

Don't forget that he was ineligible to hold office to begin with, being that he is a Kenyan Muslim born from Mars.....or a fascist Nazi...or a secular athiest.....I dunno anymore

Jooney

Just wanted to chime in my congrats on getting this law upheld. I know how much it means to some people here personally, so I'm really happy for you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom