• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jooney

Just saw the romney response. Dude spewed so many falsehoods for a plan for which he is the architect. He must be seething inside knowing that he won't receive an ounce of credit for this. Good times.

Diablos

iYPXO.png

ahahahahahaha

hahahaahhaaaaaaaaaaaa

AH HA HA HA HA HA HA

iYPXO.png

ahahahahahaha

hahahaahhaaaaaaaaaaaa

AH HA HA HA HA HA HA

This is stupid.

But I think all the articles about Robert's playing politics with this decision are silly as well. Why are liberals really so obsessed with convincing themselves the conservatives always win even when they don't.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/wp/2012/06/28/the-political-genius-of-john-roberts/

I think he'd have no problem overturning it, he doesn't like it reading his opinion he makes a few comments that insinuate that he feels its a bad law but the court shouldn't be activist and actually try to find all the technicalities to keep the law constitutional . I just don't understand people who really think roberts is sitting there saying "I'll give them this but I'll take away other things." (I am worried about the next term though with AA and the voter's right act in the docket.)

As anybody actual read the opinion? Roberts did confuse me with his reason that is not a tax for the anti-injunction act (congress choice of words matters there) but it functions as a tax (even if its not called one) for constitutional purposes? I understand his reasoning for the first a lot more than the second.

Jooney

How quick conservatives are to turn on their own. So much for their outrage against judicial activism. A term they don't understand and deploy only when its convenient.

How quick conservatives are to turn on their own. So much for their outrage against judicial activism. A term they don't understand and deploy only when its convenient.

Roberts even goes into his reasoning for judicial restraint. That the court should go through every possible constitutionality (no matter how obscure) before overturning it. I don't understand how NOT overturning a law is activism or legislating from the bench.

Kosmo

Banned
Lol listening to conservatives try and spin this....... The BIGGEST TAX INCREASE IN HISTORY. I keep seeing examples how families only making 30k a year cant afford insurance! Its like people willfully ignore the subsidies.

Where do the subsidies come from?

Roberts even goes into his reasoning for judicial restraint. That the court should go through every possible constitutionality (no matter how obscure) before overturning it. I don't understand how NOT overturning a law is activism or legislating from the bench.

To be fair, the argument is that Roberts re-wrote the law. As passed, the mandate as a penalty under the Commerce Clause, is unconstitutional - Roberts himself said this.

To be fair, the argument is that Roberts re-wrote the law. As passed, the mandate as a penalty under the Commerce Clause, is unconstitutional - Roberts himself said this.

He didn't though.

It is of course true that the Act describes the payment as
a “penalty,” not a “tax.” But while that label is fatal to the
application of the Anti-Injunction Act, supra, at 12–13, it
does not determine whether the payment may be viewed
as an exercise of Congress’s taxing power. It is up to Congress whether to apply the Anti-Injunction Act to any
particular statute, so it makes sense to be guided by Congress’s choice of label on that question. That choice does
not, however, control whether an exaction is within Congress’s constitutional power to tax

1. We thus ask whether the shared responsibility payment falls
within Congress’s taxing power, “[d]isregarding the designation of the exaction, and viewing its substance and application.” United States v. Constantine, 296 U. S. 287, 294
(1935); cf. Quill Corp. v. North Dakota, 504 U. S. 298, 310 (1992) (“[M]agic words or labels” should not “disable an otherwise constitutional levy” (internal quotation marks
omitted)); Nelson v. Sears, Roebuck & Co., 312 U. S. 359, 363 (1941) (“In passing on the constitutionality of a tax law, we are concerned only with its practical operation,
not its definition or the precise form of descriptive words which may be applied to it
” (internal quotation marks omitted)); United States v. Sotelo, 436 U. S. 268, 275
(1978) (“That the funds due are referred to as a ‘penalty’ . . . does not alter their essential character as taxes”).7

Look at all that precedent.
It functions as a tax the words don't matter when refering to the consitutionality.

He goes into more reasons why this is a tax, but he doesn't rewrite the law. If they would have written the word tax this case would have been thrown out till 2014. He didn't change a single thing in the law about the mandate.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Ignoring the first part (because that's what I heard from the crazies on AM radio today), the other 4 Justices voting with Roberts were fine with using it in context of the Commerce Clause I believe. Let's not keep pulling the "but it's unconstitutional!" card.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
The contempt charge is for the white houses not providing DOJ documents from February 2011 and beyond for the House's investigation into the extent of Holder's knowledge during the operational window of a program that ended in January 2011.

"This program ceased operations in January 2011. We want to know what you knew about this program during this program's operational window. To do this, we need access to documents from February 2011 (the month after), and beyond. What, you won't let us see them? You say that documents created after the program ended aren't relevant to investigating operational involvement? That only documents from operations and in the lead up to operations are relevant? Fuck you. CONTEMPT! *shakes fist*"

They basically are looking for an excuse for a document dump so they can go boogeyman hunting.

Isn't the point that in early 2011 an assistant attorney general denied to congress that this program was designed to give guns to drug smugglers, and the DoJ failed to correct that statement until December? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Guileless

I can't believe two 'news' stations reported the outcome incorrectly. Disgusting. Good news though. Let's see what it wil do to premiums, deficit etc.

Have you ever seen a long Supreme Court opinion with separate concurrences and dissents? It's not a USA Today article. It's embarrassing to screw up, but it's not disgusting that people can't skim it in a matter of minutes to summarize for live TV.

Gotta be first, regardless of the consequences. So stupid

They literally read one sentence of the ruling and reported immediately

He does go on for a few pages about how it doesn't fit and then at the end he's like "we'll its a tax though so who cares about the other arguments."

Have you ever seen a long Supreme Court opinion with separate concurrences and dissents? It's not a USA Today article. It's embarrassing to screw up, but it's not disgusting that people can't skim it in a matter of minutes to summarize for live TV.
They should have waited till they new. Nobody would lose anything if they waited a bit longer. Nobody is gonna change the channel for 5 minutes if you say your reading it.

Guileless

I agree they should've waited, but that's not the format for newsreaders interpreting live events. Millions of people prefer their news in that format. It has plusses and minuses, with real time Supreme Court analysis being among the latter.

No, it is disgusting. Accuracy should be pretty damn important. If they wanted to be quickest they easily could have went to the "we hold" portion of the opinion. Most of the current justices, ESPECIALLY Roberts and Sotomoyor telegraph the legal holdings pretty easily

Besides, it doesn't matter if it took them days to read the opinions and then report, doing that was much more important than getting it first and completely wrong as it sat right in front of them.

Puddles

Banned
This has been absolutely amazing. Does the ruling make up for the fact that LeBron James is now an NBA champion? No. But it partially salvages the year. If Obama gets 4 more years, that might salvage it completely.

This has been absolutely amazing. Does the ruling make up for the fact that LeBron James is now an NBA champion? No. But it partially salvages the year. If Obama gets 4 more years, that might salvage it completely.

You're on the wrong side of this man. The people and issues with the largest amount of irrational haters are coming out on top this year. LeBron, ACA, and hopefully Obama. May the bitter tears provide fertility to the valleys.

DasRaven

Where do the subsidies come from?

Largely, Medicare Advantage.

The program where America tried to give the private insurers the chance to really compete with Medicare in providing services, but they ended up adding little to no value and charging 20% more for the same services.

I know the GOP loves to point to this as a huge cut to Medicare, but I think most people would see stopping this as a part of the vaunted waste/fraud/abuse category.

Also:
House Majority Leader Eric Cantor rebutted the Supreme Court’s health care law decision on Friday, telling MSNBC that the law “sets up a big choice for the American people in November.”
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entries/cantor-health-ruling-sets-up-big-choice-for

I thought the GOP needed this election to be a referendum on Obama's first term, not a choice

LosDaddie

Banned
Had good laugh when I saw this on FB yesterday:

Day off. Got the lube and been beating it to Bachman's salty tears on CNN this morning. Glorious.

damn dude :lol

It's been a couple good weeks for metldowns on GAF, yes. :)

so far, i have calmed some people who are butthurt after yesterday by comparing the mandate to the child tax credit. i simply ask them if they would like that to be ruled unconstitutional too because it's the exact same concept. and i ask if the government is forcing them to have children by offering the credit.

that shuts them up.

so far, i have calmed some people who are butthurt after yesterday by comparing the mandate to the child tax credit. i simply ask them if they would like that to be ruled unconstitutional too because it's the exact same concept. and i ask if the government is forcing them to have children by offering the credit.

that shuts them up.
They're not exactly the same thing. It's a tax credit for having a child, meaning you pay less in taxes. It's a penalty for not buying health insurance, meaning you pay more in taxes.

Just compare it to paying taxes for firefighters. That should shut them up.

they don't understand the nuances in how the tax code works, the argument works. they all have kids which is why i used it.

plus logically speaking there is little difference between a credit and a penalty. all people without children are penalized by paying higher taxes than people with children, just as people without insurance will be penalized by paying higher taxes than those with insurance. it's the same shit, just different mechanisms.

they don't understand the nuances in how the tax code works, the argument works. they all have kids which is why i used it.

plus logically speaking there is little difference between a credit and a penalty. all people without children are penalized by paying higher taxes than people with children, just as people without insurance will be penalized by paying higher taxes than those with insurance. it's the same shit, just different mechanisms.

The effects are the same, yes: encouraging a certain behavior.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon

Haha. As a liberal, Hispanic, Heat fan... This past month has been pretty awesome for me.

gcubed

Bobby Jindal is refusing to comply with the ACA.

Modern day nullification.

the only thing he is allowed to "not comply with" is the medicaid expansion. Which as pointed out above, stops him from getting the extra money from the gov't teat. Which means he will comply with it

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I know we're all getting off on the politics of this -- it's a huge win for Obama and a huge loss upon which he can't really object for Romney -- but does everyone kinda get how big of a deal this is?

This is truly historic legislation. Not perfect, but it's a big fucking deal.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ooomg I am loving how you keep posting these things and I agree with the parts that make you happy and and rejoice in the parts that make you sad.

I know we're all getting off on the politics of this -- it's a huge win for Obama and a huge loss upon which he can't really object for Romney -- but does everyone kinda get how big of a deal this is?

This is truly historic legislation. Not perfect, but it's a big fucking deal.
Absolutely, yes. It will affect two people very close to me directly and personally, and I came close to tears thinking about it. My parents also fought hard for its original passage and they've been smiling nonstop since the ruling. The politics are fun to talk about of course, but you're right on the money.

Until he doesnt take the medicare monies and his state gets really mad at him.

the only thing he is allowed to "not comply with" is the medicaid expansion. Which as pointed out above, stops him from getting the extra money from the gov't teat. Which means he will comply with it

He's saying he doesn't want any part of it. He may not be allowed to do it, and he may end up doing it (or the federal government will do it), but what he's saying right now is nullification.

gcubed

He's saying he doesn't want any part of it. He may not be allowed to do it, and he may end up doing it (or the federal government will do it), but what he's saying right now is nullification.

Bobby Jindal has gone from hero to zero in the matter of 15 seconds when he opened his mouth in that one rebuttal that he's constantly jumping around saying "HEY! I'm still here!!"

and besides that, its not really his choice

eznark

Banned
This is probably going to sound goofy because I'm obviously opposed to the ACA (specifically the mandate) but the more I read and digest the ruling the more I like it.

This is a deep, complex and seemingly profound ruling. This really does seem to limit the ability of a congressional abuse of the commerce clause. At the end of the day, we're on a march to single payer. That much is simply unavoidable. Like smoking bans and letting women vote, I've come to accept it. The issue for me has been how we get there. Abusing the commerce clause was about the absolute worst in my eyes.

That said, I also don't want the Supreme Court to have unmitigated legislative-via-veto power either. It's up to us to elect the people we want to make the laws we want.

I think this ruling does a good job of keeping the checks and balances in place. That said, this ruling is far more complex and complicated than people seem to be giving it credit for so as I get a chance to read further and read additional analysis from people far more intelligent than I my mind might completely change.

The fun part begins. Just like how the federal government dragged racist red states kicking and screaming into full equality and voting rights for minorities, it again befalls upon the federal government to drag red states kicking and screaming into having healthcare for their people.

This is probably going to sound goofy because I'm obviously opposed to the ACA (specifically the mandate) but the more I read and digest the ruling the more I like it.

This is a deep, complex and seemingly profound ruling. This really does seem to limit the ability of a congressional abuse of the commerce clause. At the end of the day, we're on a march to single payer. That much is simply unavoidable. Like smoking bans and letting women vote, I've come to accept it. The issue for me has been how we get there. Abusing the commerce clause was about the absolute worst in my eyes.

That said, I also don't want the Supreme Court to have unmitigated legislative-via-veto power either. It's up to us to elect the people we want to make the laws we want.

I think this ruling does a good job of keeping the checks and balances in place. That said, this ruling is far more complex and complicated than people seem to be giving it credit for so as I get a chance to read further and read additional analysis from people far more intelligent than I my mind might completely change.
I'm very curious as to your thinking on this. Why? What evidence do you have for it? And do you think it's a possibility Roberts ruled the way he did to entrench private businesses in health care rather than forcing liberals to campaign for single-payer had the law been struck down?

gcubed

I'm very curious as to your thinking on this. Why? What evidence do you have for it? And do you think it's a possibility Roberts ruled the way he did to entrench private businesses in health care rather than forcing liberals to campaign for single-payer had the law been struck down?

Mandating private insurance isn't going to last long. IMO what it does is make the private insurance game more unpalatable to people in general and the skyrocketing costs are going to drive any sane president to propose single payer or in the very least, step up with a public option in the future. That or with the handful of states that want to enact single payer, if it proves to be much cheaper then the private insurance shit sandwich (and better for businesses), you'll see others moving that way as well.

Thats been my opinion from the minute the legislation was passed, its just a trojan horse for single payer because as it is will not be sustainable for a long time. Eznark may have different reasons

eznark

Banned

Why do I think it is inevitable? Because I think the incremental approach to governmentalization of more aspects of health care will make it a fairly easy sell moving forward.

I think Roberts ruled the way he did because he doesn't think it is the Courts role to legislate. That much seems to be obvious.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Now that it has cleared its last real hurdle, Obama would be smart to embrace the ObamaCare name.
My parents actually called this over a year ago- that even though the right wing would try to tag him with unpopular legislation, successfully brand the thing as Obamacare, then when it turned out to be popular and successful they'd have unintentionally helped his brand.

eznark

Banned
My parents actually called this over a year ago- that even though the right wing would try to tag him with unpopular legislation, successfully brand the thing as Obamacare, then when it turned out to be popular and successful they'd have unintentionally helped his brand.

Well yeah, that's obvious. The problem was if it crashed and burned in the SC or had/has significant negative unintended consequences. Since the first didn't happen and the second won't be known til after the election, he should embrace it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom