• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Holy shit. I was just sifting through the news, and I JUST found out that it was 5-4 with Roberts being the only one disagreeing. What the fucking WHAT.

Unless I'm mistaken, the dude NEVER sided with the liberals with at least one of his buddies doing the same.

Kosmo

Banned
Ok, so if we can look at the rulings today rationally, this document from the Kaiser Foundation might be of some interest:

http://www.kff.org/healthreform/upl...te-results-for-adults-at-or-below-133-fpl.pdf

The CBO has estimated that after PPACA is fully enacted, the number of uninsured will drop from around 40M to 20M. According to Kaiser, 15.9M of those newly insured will be due to Medicaid expansion. As the ruling on the Medicaid piece today indicates, States will no longer be coerced into expanding Medicaid at the threat of losing all matching Medicaid dollars from the Feds, just what they would have gotten from expansion.

So question for the supporters: How are you covering those people if the States (or at least about 1/2) refuse to expand Medicaid?

Diablos

Woke up at about noon. Intentionally tossed and turned for a few minutes, got stuff from the mailbox, made some coffee, walked around... wasted time.

I was preparing for the worst.

And then I read the law was upheld. The ENTIRE LAW. AND ROBERTS WAS THE ONE WHO SAVED IT. And I was like "HOLY FUCKING SHIT!"

I can't believe this!

You can spin this as positive or negative politically. If it was partially or fully struck down, you would have seen a cloud looming over Obama's head 'till November, because he wasted an entire year of his Presidency on getting this passed for nothing. It would have been demoralizing to Democrats and many independents nationwide.

This may embolden the GOP but frankly if it got struck down it would have too, given the nature of our politics and how negativity in any situation rules the day. The media plucks out all possible negative factors and puts them front and center. So this could have been spun as good news for the GOP either way in terms of motivating the base and such.

PPACA is far from perfect but it still does a lot of good, and puts us on a path to single-payer at the state level, even if it takes two decades for the idea to become popular nationally. As this law continues to live on, it will be harder to strike down. Obama must be re-elected, and I think this will help him because it's going to be hilarious to watch Romney try and define a stance as the GE heats up and they debate it.

Ok, so if we can look at the rulings today rationally, this document from the Kaiser Foundation might be of some interest:

http://www.kff.org/healthreform/upl...te-results-for-adults-at-or-below-133-fpl.pdf

The CBO has estimated that after PPACA is fully enacted, the number of uninsured will drop from around 40M to 20M. According to Kaiser, 15.9M of those newly insured will be due to Medicaid expansion. As the ruling on the Medicaid piece today indicates, States will no longer be coerced into expanding Medicaid at the threat of losing all matching Medicaid dollars from the Feds, just what they would have gotten from expansion.

So question for the supporters: How are you covering those people if the States (or at least about 1/2) refuse to expand Medicaid?

You're asking the wrong question. Why won't the states expand Medicaid when the Feds will pick up 90% of the costs? I'm sure a lot of politicians will like those headlines. Also, not joining the medicaid rolls will just limit the amount the Feds have to spend anyway because the expansion would be limited. The uninsured would then probably get healthcare through the exchanges with the tax subsidies. Those eligible for Medicaid are below the 400% of the poverty line the law sets as a ceiling for the tax breaks.

Kosmo

Banned
You're asking the wrong question. Why won't the states expand Medicaid when the Feds will pick up 90% of the costs? I'm sure a lot of politicians will like those headlines. Also, not joining the medicaid rolls will just limit the amount the Feds have to spend anyway because the expansion would be limited. The uninsured would then probably get healthcare through the exchanges with the tax subsidies. Those eligible for Medicaid are below the 400% of the poverty line the law sets as a ceiling for the tax breaks.

So you're saying California has an extra $3-6.5B laying around?

RDreamer

http://www.channel3000.com/news/Wal... isn't going to implement the health care law.

He said the decision creates uncertainty for Wisconsin businesses and that's bad for job growth. Walker has also said businesses will be bullish about adding jobs since he won a June 5 recall election.

Ok, guy... the uncertainty from the decision is doing it, eh? Not the uncertainty from people like you trying to hold out and throw everything you can at it? Not that at all? Also, I like the pre-spin on blaming poor job growth in Wisconsin to uncertainty with health care stuff. Not any of your policies, eh, Walker?

Clevinger

I just realized how antagonistic I am toward Kosmo. I think 90% of my posts in the last couple threads have been me making fun of him.

I am officially laying off.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
anyone have the page # with reactions to the cnnfoxfail report?

I don't think there was anything good. The initial report that broke was of it being upheld, then there were a few posts of "CNN and Fox are saying it wasn't" and then people realized that it really was.

Clevinger

Is Issa still doing the contempt vote today? Or is he delaying it? It would have been a nice one two punch if the law was shitcanned.

ToxicAdam

Conservatives weren't the only ones that were trolled ...

President Obama was just outside the Oval Office this morning "when he got the news -- erroneous, as it turned out -- that the U.S. Supreme Court had struck down the individual mandate in his signature health care law, deeming it unconstitutional," ABC News reports.

"Standing with White House chief of staff Jack Lew and looking at a television in the 'Outer Oval' featuring a split screen of four different networks, the president saw graphics on the screens of the first two cable news networks to break the news -- CNN and Fox News Channel -- announcing, wrongly, that he had lost."

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
I want to know what his reaction was

"Mr. Obama, one official said, was absorbing the news with a quizzical expression on his face. Jack Lew, the White House chief of staff, stood next to him. When Ms. Ruemmler told him that court had upheld the ruling in a 5-to-4 vote, he broke out in a broad smile and gave her a hug. The networks continued to report a negative ruling, though with the sound turned off, Mr. Obama paid no attention."​

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/28/obama-heard-mixed-messages-on-health-ruling-too/

Ela Hadrun

Probably plays more games than you

It certainly ought to, I don't understand what goes ON in this state.

A statewide property tax of less than 0.01% would generate that much revenue. But ohhhh no that's even worse than income tax ohhhhhhh

kehs

Banned
"Mr. Obama, one official said, was absorbing the news with a quizzical expression on his face. Jack Lew, the White House chief of staff, stood next to him. When Ms. Ruemmler told him that court had upheld the ruling in a 5-to-4 vote, he broke out in a broad smile and gave her a hug. The networks continued to report a negative ruling, though with the sound turned off, Mr. Obama paid no attention."​

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/28/obama-heard-mixed-messages-on-health-ruling-too/

He was all "Did my check not clear?"

They are already saying the vote was bought with Kagan. Some Representative from Texas is talking about getting her impeached.
The same California that voted for single payer in 2006 and 2008. Schwarzenegger isn't there anymore to veto it.

Fuck the whole mainstream media. They become more useless by the fucking year.
I don't know how they would even have put that up in the first place.

They probably had their "Obama is DOOMED" stories already prepared and as soon as the result was announced they put them up so they could talk about more horserace bullshit. Now I'd expect talk of hcr to dissipate quickly and they'll run around squawking about the next big disaster waiting for Obama.

Chumly

They are already saying the vote was bought with Kagan. Some Representative from Texas is talking about getting her impeached.

The same California that voted for single payer in 2006 and 2008. Schwarzenegger isn't there anymore to veto it.

Well they gotta grasp to something

codhand

I want to know what his reaction was

prolly smth like this

images

I don't know how they would even have put that up in the first place.

They probably had their "Obama is DOOMED" stories already prepared and as soon as the result was announced they put them up so they could talk about more horserace bullshit. Now I'd expect talk of hcr to dissipate quickly and they'll run around squawking about the next big disaster waiting for Obama.

The media, just like the majority of America, was blindsided by this decision. What today proved was who exactly cares more about being first at the cost of possibly being wrong. Fox News is Fox News, it's expected, but CNN was a fucking gong show this morning.

Novid

Banned
So Obama watched both CNN and FOX and went like why my check didnt clear? Why? when one hates its guts and the other got no ratings? You couldnt wait 5 min for CBS?

Clevinger

The funny part about Walker saying this (and all the other moronic GOP governors who will also) is that if they refuse to set up the exchanges themselves, then the federal government comes in and does it for them. So these morons refusing to play ball are just giving even more control to the federal gov. So dumb, so so dumb.

CHEEZMO™;39334036 said:
Is it me or does Smith look like a woman in that tiny pic? I think someone put a little too much makeup on him.

I've thought that before, actually. As cool of a dude he is, he has a strange face.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
http://www.channel3000.com/news/Wal... isn't going to implement the health care law.

Ok, guy... the uncertainty from the decision is doing it, eh? Not the uncertainty from people like you trying to hold out and throw everything you can at it? Not that at all? Also, I like the pre-spin on blaming poor job growth in Wisconsin to uncertainty with health care stuff. Not any of your policies, eh, Walker?

Every single one of those quotes sound like they were spoken by Kosmo.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

It was always a tax. Just because you call a bill a"right to work" bill doesn't mean it guarantees the right to work. Similarly, calling something a penalty doesn't mean it isn't a tax. Everyone with a brain rolled their eyes at hte "it's not a tax" statement.

It's a tax you're exempt from with insurance.

pigeon

Banned
It certainly ought to, I don't understand what goes ON in this state.

A statewide property tax of less than 0.01% would generate that much revenue. But ohhhh no that's even worse than income tax ohhhhhhh

neogafguy.gif

No, wait, that's not what I meant.

directdemocracyguy.gif

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Woke up at about noon. Intentionally tossed and turned for a few minutes, got stuff from the mailbox, made some coffee, walked around... wasted time.

I was preparing for the worst.

And then I read the law was upheld. The ENTIRE LAW. AND ROBERTS WAS THE ONE WHO SAVED IT. And I was like "HOLY FUCKING SHIT!"

I can't believe this!

You can spin this as positive or negative politically. If it was partially or fully struck down, you would have seen a cloud looming over Obama's head 'till November, because he wasted an entire year of his Presidency on getting this passed for nothing. It would have been demoralizing to Democrats and many independents nationwide.

This may embolden the GOP but frankly if it got struck down it would have too, given the nature of our politics and how negativity in any situation rules the day. The media plucks out all possible negative factors and puts them front and center. So this could have been spun as good news for the GOP either way in terms of motivating the base and such.

PPACA is far from perfect but it still does a lot of good, and puts us on a path to single-payer at the state level, even if it takes two decades for the idea to become popular nationally. As this law continues to live on, it will be harder to strike down. Obama must be re-elected, and I think this will help him because it's going to be hilarious to watch Romney try and define a stance as the GE heats up and they debate it.

Exactly. If it was struck down, even just the mandate, it would have been so much worse for Obama.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom