• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The Liberal Reign of Darkness continues its push from its northeastern base to take over the rest of the nation.

I think the Midwest is the next in line to make the conversion over the next decade or so. It feels like most of the conservatives here are of the self-defined "moderate" kind.

Gallup tightening with 47 O - 46 R

Approval 49-45

Edit: just saw the Virginia numbers, 8 point spread? i dont believe it'll be that big no way, maybe 5 at most.

This gif fucking kills me its so good. I wish it was higher quality.
aKG4v.gif

Chichikov

I think the Midwest is the next in line to make the conversion over the next decade or so. It feels like most of the conservatives here are of the self-defined "moderate" kind.
The next big thing is Texas, it's projected that white people will lose their majority by 2020.
The the GOP will have to radically change its immigration policy to attract Latino voters or abandon their southern strategy altogether.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The next big thing is Texas, it's projected that white people will lose their majority by 2020.
The the GOP will have to radically change its immigration policy to attract Latino voters or abandon their southern strategy altogether.

Ah yeah, I'd forgotten about Texas and Arizona

Even if they did somehow magically change their immigration policy, by then the damage is done and Latinos are firmly on the Dem's side.

Why would a sudden change in policy would a percentage of them say "Oh, let's go to the party that's basically fucked my people for decades now"?

Angry Fork

Why do you guys care so much about numbers/polls when there's still a lot of time left, shouldn't sideliners only bother looking at that stuff 2-3 weeks before election where there isn't a long gap before voting day and the numbers will mean a lot more? It's like watching a 2 month long basketball game and comparing points every day I don't get it.

Chichikov

Even if they did somehow magically change their immigration policy, by then the damage is done and Latinos are firmly on the Dem's side.

Why would a sudden change in policy would a percentage of them say "Oh, let's go to the party that's basically fucked my people for decades now"?
Why did black people started voting Democrats?
Parties can change and so can the voting patterns.

I fully expect the GOP to pivot heavily toward Latinos in the next decade, they have to.
Plus a their immigration stance is not something which is core to conservative beliefs, it's mostly appealing to xenophobes.
And luckily, this is becoming a losing strategy.

I'm not saying it's going to be easy, but it can be done.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Why do you guys care so much about numbers/polls when there's still a lot of time left, shouldn't sideliners only bother looking at that stuff 2-3 weeks before election where there isn't a long gap before voting day and the numbers will mean a lot more? It's like watching a 2 month long basketball game and comparing points every day I don't get it.

I like knowing where things are heading and how the race is shaping up state by state. I know it can change between now and then, but it is nice to have an up to date perspective on how the election is going to play out in the battleground states.

Aside from big Romney fuckups like yesterday, I hardly pay attention to what either Obama or Romney have to say because I feel like they are well defined in my head. At this point, since I know their positions, I'm more interested in the polling data than anything else.

codhand

Why do you guys care so much about numbers/polls

I don't get it.

It's pretty much the point of the thread, remember the NPD days on gaming side?

John Snu snu is reeeeally unlikable. Republican's strategy in regards to dat Press Conference is that Romney wasn't talking the 47% no-tax meme, he was talking about Obama's base. No one believes that. Also funny that Repubs like Romney better when he's being a huge douche.

Because there isn't a lot of time left, and it's not a basketball game. A month and a half until election, after most of the major poll movers (primaries and conventions--debates are less influential), is reasonably close for a national vote.

Poll average right now is Obama +3 or 4. There just isn't enough fluidity in the polls for this to swing to something like Romney +6 eventually (or Obama +10, etc.). Realistically the final vote will be something like Romney +2 to Obama +7. So it is relevant now in the sense that Romney's vote ceiling is getting lower and lower.

Virgina is a blue state now. Maryland spilled south a bit. It's become part of the Northeast.

I blame the trains.

All the northeast corridor expansion into Virginia has had a submissive effect on people.

First they came for Newport News. Then they came for Lynchburg. This December, they come for Norfolk.

By the time the people realized what had happened, it was too late.

They were part of the northeast.

codhand

I blame the trains.

All the northeast corridor expansion into Virginia has had a submissive effect on people.

First they came for Newport News. Then they came for Lynchburg. This December, they come for Norfolk.

By the time the people realized what had happened, it was too late.

They were part of the northeast.

This is awesome, I love VA, seems like a nice place to live, got friends in Harrisonburg and Charlottlesville, both are cool, small, liberal towns.

Not overturned, they're sending it back to the lower court.

No surprise that Nate has Democrats winning the Senate, anyone who's been following the numbers could see that ahemPDahem.

thanks, just realized
another one:

igorvolsky @igorvolsky

PA Supremes: Lower court must determine if PA can get IDs into the hands of voters BEFORE Nov. If it not, injuction against law must stand.

Virgina is a blue state now. Maryland spilled south a bit. It's become part of the Northeast.

I think you're jumping the gun a little bit here, Va has a hard right governor and most local officials are repub. In a truly blue state, an asshat like George Allen wouldn't have a chance.

ToxicAdam

I think you're jumping the gun a little bit here, Va has a hard right governor and most local officials are repub. In a truly blue state, an asshat like George Allen wouldn't have a chance.

For me that's why Virgina poll numbers are even more shocking than Romney's trouble in Ohio.

Loudninja

Pennsylvania Supreme Court Sends Voter ID Law Back To Lower Court
The state Supreme Court has vacated lower court's decison upholding Pennsylvania's voter ID law and ordered the court to review the decision. The high court ruled that the lower court should evaluate whether the state is actually capable of getting identification to state voters as the law prescribes.

While finding that Pennsylvania legislators had acted in "good faith," the Supreme Court ruled that their "ambitious effort" to provide a new identification procedure was "no means been seamless in light of the serious operational constraints faced by the executive branch."
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/pa-supreme-court-orders-review-of-voter-id

Some clarity on the Penn SC ruling

Today’s decision is not a victory against voter ID, yet. The state justices merely “return[ed] the matter to the Commonwealth Court to make a present assessment of the actual availability of the alternate identification cards on a developed record in light of the experience since the time the cards became available.” Nevertheless, the supreme court also makes clear that the lower court must suspend the law if “liberal access” to voter ID is not ensured, or if voter disenfranchisement will result in the 2012 election.

Allard

It's what he should've done to begin with. A sympathetic ear, a little bit of complaining about the librul media blowing things out of proportion, maybe a "for Pete's sake, it's a fact that 47% pay no income taxes!" and you're done.

Yeah lets see him bring up income taxes on television, he would just write the news story for next week on top of his behavior up to this point. Honestly I don't know what he can do to help himself (He screwed himself so i got no sympathy for him), but his goal should be to become inconsequential in the national spotlight and by making these briefings over the tape he is just making it more and more about him and his beliefs, especially by not apologizing for the comments. When you get a round of bad PR, you do your best to consolidate, move on; don't linger for a second. Put yourself out of the spotlight for a day or two and then get back to working on your agenda whatever it may be. The last thing you want is to fuel whatever set it off as a story begin with.

It's what he should've done to begin with. A sympathetic ear, a little bit of complaining about the librul media blowing things out of proportion, maybe a "for Pete's sake, it's a fact that 47% pay no income taxes!" and you're done.

I don't think this is going away that easily. If Cavuto lobs soft balls at Romney, the media isn't going to rest until he answers questions based around the statement "My job is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives." This is red meat for the press and they won't let this go very easily.

Attempts to compare Romney's "47%" moment to Obama's "cling to guns and religion" moment are way off the mark. You can even overlook the part where Obama was speaking about the people of rural PA from an empathetic standpoint whereas Romney was speaking about the 47% of Americans who pay no federal income tax (many of whom still pay payroll tax) dripping with disdain for a perceived overdependence on the government along with a lack of desire to take care of themselves.

Obama's "guns and religion" remark was mostly talking about people who wouldn't vote for him anyways, evangelical righties. However, that 47% statistic which Romney cited includes retirees who are benefitting from Medicare and Social Security, two of the "entitlements" he spoke so disdainful of, and members of our armed forces in combat zones, who aren't taxed for their pay that comes from the federal government. The elderly in particular make up a good portion of the Republican base and Romney just effectively referred to them as freeloaders. Obama's guns and religion comment was nowhere near as bad as this will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom