• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kusagari

Weird how Big Bird really did gain traction.

Or are we witnessing a liberal equivalent of all those ridiculous things that gain traction in the conservative blogosphere but are just non-issues for anyone out of the bubble?

It's gaining traction because let's be real. 99% of Americans don't understand what the fuck is going on in the debate.

Big Bird is something they can actually connect with, so hearing Mitt say he wants to cut funding for PBS and Big Bird resonates with them.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

Or are we witnessing a liberal equivalent of all those ridiculous things that gain traction in the conservative blogosphere but are just non-issues for anyone out of the bubble?

Not in this case. It's just one of the few relate-able things of the debate. Romney also managed to step in shit at the same time.

My wife was at her parents' place while I'm out of state. She is a smart, intelligent person but someone who never got into politics. First thing she says to me in gchat is "Romney wants to get rid of Big bird :("

It's gaining traction because let's be real. 99% of Americans don't understand what the fuck is going on in the debate.

Big Bird is something they can actually connect with, so hearing Mitt say he wants to cut funding for PBS and Big Bird resonates with them.

They don't understand because the vast vast majority don't care and wants to be spoon fed bullshit.

RDreamer

I don't think it's ridiculous. We had what was supposed to be a serious debate in serious issues, and the only thing Mitt can specifically say he's cutting is fucking PBS and Big Bird. I think the average person can understand that.

pigeon

Banned

Few people today have the sentimental attachment for the Interstate Highway System or the Veteran's Administration that they do for Big Bird.

Allard

Its gaining traction because its a stupid thing to cut over budgetary balancing and is relatable to a LOT of people with kids (or were kids when it was on). Don't think Romney realizes that outside of the right wing echo chamber people don't have a negative opinion in the slightest for PBS especially sesame street. It was a stupid thing to bring up and looking at it is going to become more known then his own performance at the debates lol.

I missed the debates but did Mitt really say he wanted to fire Big Bird? Like he called out Big Bird personally? What?

He mention wanting to cut funding for PBS and made a reference to "I like Big Bird but yes he would have to go if it came to that."

Jadedx

Banned
Just skimmed through 15 or so pages, and I've come to a realization, PD is an idiot. I used to think he was just a butthurt troll, but, no, he is just an idiot. Also Obama needs to hammer romney with tons of ads on how he keeps lying. I would use soundbites from his surrogates like Huckabee , Gingrich, and Santorum.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Romney said the highest tax bracket wont pay less in taxes under his plan.

Question 1: then why change the tax code at all?
A: to lower the middle class burden.

Question 2: IF ITS DEFICIT NEUTRAL SOMEONE HAS TO PAY MORE AHHHHHH!

Its pretty easy to understand he's lying.

He said he will close loopholes, and at the same time, will not raise even one dollar extra in revenue... so in order to accomplish that, he will have to give the rich tax cuts so that their effective tax rate does not change. In essence, he will be accomplishing absolutely nothing with taxes. He is then going to massively increase military spending, and cut government programs (which will hurt more middle and lower class americans than upper class)... His whole plan is a shit show. He basically is making it seem like he is changing shit, but it will all stay the same, except the people struggling will have less help to fall back on.

It was so funny when Romney did his awkward thing and said to the moderator, "I like you too!"
Yeah, very strange moment there. That and his 'pursuit of happiness' bit.

So I guess Big Bird isn't worth borrowing money from China for. Wonder what else is on that list.

Just skimmed through 15 or so pages, and I've come to a realization, PD is an idiot. I used to think he was just a butthurt troll, but, no, he is just an idiot. Also Obama needs to hammer romney with tons of ads on how he keeps lying. I would use soundbites from his surrogates like Huckabee , Gingrich, and Santorum.

PD trolls but he takes on the opposite argument just for kicks.

It is sticking because it is one of the only things that was said during the debates that Americans actually encounter everyday and are directly familiar with. It also helps that just about anyone, including most immigrants in this country, grew up with the yellow fowl.

It's become another Clint Eastwood empty chair moment to a lesser degree.

That's a good start.

At this point Romney has swung at him with everything he had. Obama got a busted lip.

But it looks like its time for him to go "hmm", bust out the toothy smile and laugh, lick his lips and swing back. But Obama has to be prepared for Romney to switch tactics again, and he needs to be more nimble, and able to exploit opportunities that present themselves, and to defend his record with quicker, less wonkish statements.

And get Bill to be his new debate coach for crying out loud.

Its gaining traction because its a stupid thing to cut over budgetary balancing and is relatable to a LOT of people with kids (or were kids when it was on). Don't think Romney realizes that outside of the right wing echo chamber people don't have a negative opinion in the slightest for PBS especially sesame street. It was a stupid thing to bring up and looking at it is going to become more known then his own performance at the debates lol.

He mention wanting to cut funding for PBS and made a reference to "I like Big Bird but yes he would have to go if it came to that."

Why would you call out something that has such a huge connection with pretty much everyone in America? You don't want to put a face to things you're trying to convince the american people of cutting.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Hopefullly this is a sign of 'Bams going hard in two weeks.

That's assuming Obama isn't using a teleprompter and isn't more confident because of the controlled audience.

We'll see how he fares in the next debate. I expect Obama to do much better because he has to, but he was really bad yesterday so we'll see. Maybe he needs a new debate partner that isn't John Kerry?

Sadly, this is probably true.

I'm sure the right is crowing about Romney's performance but I wonder if they are criticizing him at all. Romney largely won by throwing the conservative party line under the bus. He said he would NOT cut taxes on the wealthy at all. He said he would NOT cut taxes at all really since he would not cut Medicare, he'd grow the military, and he'd not grow the deficit. It is impossible to do that and cut taxes. I don't think he can even do that without tax-hikes unless he cut massive amounts of other stuff which would be politically impossible. Romney was all too proud to shovel $716 billion into 'big government socialized medicine' medicare.

Why would you call out something that has such a huge connection with pretty much everyone in America? You don't want to put a face to things you're trying to convince the american people of cutting.

Because Republicans and conservatives in general tend to live in a bubble, where everything government-funded is cursed and impinges on Free America.

Tim-E

Sadly, this is probably true.

I'm sure the right is crowing about Romney's performance but I wonder if they are criticizing him at all. Romney largely won by throwing the conservative party line under the bus. He said he would NOT cut taxes on the wealthy at all. He said he would NOT cut taxes at all really since he would not cut Medicare, he'd grow the military, and he'd not grow the deficit. It is impossible to do that and cut taxes. I don't think he can even do that without tax-hikes unless he cut massive amounts of other stuff which would be politically impossible.

Since is the Romney campaign's best moment in a long time I think they're just going to ignore all that and enjoy the fact that he's getting good press for once.

thefro

Very good rebutal.

It's just a shame he did it on a rally instead of the actual debate. And I wonder if this is Obama getting geared up for some punching, or if we are seeing a competent Obama because *gasp* he's doing a speech (with teleprompter) instead of a debate.

He doesn't use a teleprompter in his stump speech. Never has.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Officerrob, offical big-bird watcher of poligaf :)

I'm sure the right is crowing about Romney's performance but I wonder if they are criticizing him at all. Romney largely won by throwing the conservative party line under the bus. He said he would NOT cut taxes on the wealthy at all. He said he would NOT cut taxes at all really since he would not cut Medicare, he'd grow the military, and he'd not grow the deficit. It is impossible to do that and cut taxes. I don't think he can even do that without tax-hikes unless he cut massive amounts of other stuff which would be politically impossible. Romney was all too proud to shovel $716 billion into 'big government socialized medicine' medicare.
Its the laugh-er curve.

Feast or famine up in 'ere, yo.
There's more panic about people panicking then there is panic. Its not the end of the world to criticize, and to call out a bad performance as a bad performance.

PhatSaqs

Banned
I guess the reason why Obama was so lacking in attacking Mitt directly was because he was caught completely off guard by Mitt's blatant lying and shifting from the policies he's been running on for the past six months or so.
The people who haven't been really paying attention to to any of it don't know tho which is why all the pro Mitt talk.

Also the "companies don't get tax breaks for sending jobs overseas" thing was mindboggling. I'm surprised Obama didnt go over and smack his ass after that lol.

izakq

republican party training poll challengers

I can't view the video, as it's block at my work, but this is going to happen in my state? Someone clue me in as to what exactly these "poll challengers" are going to be doing? Are they going to be harassing people in line for IDs and such? If they are, is this legal? Who am I to contact if this is getting out of hand?

Oh man, I wonder if the The Children's Television Workshop would let them use Big Bird. I doubt it though, since they probably want to avoid looking politicized. Although they did say that public funding is a very miniscule part of their budget so you never know so I think they'll just be content letting the social media universe give them free press without actually taking any positions either way.

Oh man, I wonder if the The Children's Television Workshop would let them use Big Bird. I doubt it though, since they probably want to avoid looking politicized. Although they did say that public funding is a very miniscule part of their budget so you never know so I think they'll just be content letting the social media universe give them free press without actually taking any positions either way.

Unfortunately:

Sesame Workshop says Big Bird is declining all appearances.

He doesn't use a teleprompter in his stump speech. Never has.
Well, that's a good sign.

I've never found him to be a good debater, and could sort of understand the teleprompter remarks (even though they were a hyperbolic talking point from the right), so I'm left wondering and worrying whether Obama has it in him to do some ad hoc, spontaneous and fluently put "verbal fighting" in debates if necessary.

KingGondo

Banned
They're not really taking political positions--they're defending the idea that their programming serves societal good and is worth the minuscule public investment that is given to CPB each year.

Sesame Street and other public programming has done untold good over the years, and at a very modest price tag.

Why not bring more attention to the idea that there are many politicians who want to completely cut CPB and make their valuable programming much more difficult to keep on the air?

Mitt Romney's kids never had to sit alone at home when their parents had to work with PBS kids programming as their babysitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom