• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aren't gas prices high because: A) Stuff that occured during Bush's terms and B) Isaac?

False equivalency much?

Gas prices are high because that is where the market sets them. Apparently the GOP hates the free market if they want to whine about high gas prices.

Prices are higher because world-wide demand is up and supply is weakly growing
Demand: China buys more cars than the USA now, other Asian countries growing, oil-producing states subsidize their oil such that they waste it like crazy
Supply: The easy oil is gone. You just cannot find easy big fields of conventional oil anymore. Instead we rely on ultra-deepwater oil (BP's Macando well), pressure-washing oil-stained dirt up in Alberta Canada, and fracking shale fields for "tight oil" (the North Dakota oil boom). All of these techniques are more expensive than traditional conventional liquid oil. If there was cheap easy oil to be extracted, the oil companies would do it!

And the GOP has dreams about drilling our way out of the problem. It just won't happen. The truth is (that GOPers don't know or won't admit) is that oil production has increased more during the Obama administration than at any point during the last 30 years. It is not a supply issue . . . it is just a fact that oil is now more expensive to extract since we had to switch from conventional oil to nonconventional oil.

So their prescriptions on gas prices are just like their other policy prescriptions . . . pure wishful-thinking fantasy.

markatisu

It is designed to be as difficult as possible, it is not a holiday, happens ona Tuesday for no good reason, it is almost universally unpaid, and lines are incredibly long.

And that is why I absentee ballot vote, easiest way to avoid being excluded and make sure your vote does not conflict with your life

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I think today marks the first time that Fivethirtyeight has had Obama at a 70+% chance of winning in Colorado, Iowa, and Virginia.

I need to stop reading Silver for a bit. I'm getting way too confident. When that happens and your candidate loses, you get completely emotionally destroyed and personally devastated, and then you spend the next decade pretending that the other side will always win if only to spare your hopes and dreams from getting dashed once again. I call it getting PD'd.

thefro

I need to stop reading Silver for a bit. I'm getting way too confident. When that happens and your candidate loses, you get completely emotionally destroyed and personally devastated, and then you spend the next decade pretending that the other side will always win if only to spare your hopes and dreams from getting dashed once again. I call it getting PD'd.

Yeah, you probably should take his model with a grain of salt until we see whether Obama gets a convention bounce or not. The model right now is presuming Romney should have gotten a 4-point bounce.

Puddles

Banned

In 2009, I thought that the Democrats were certain to gain seats in the 2010 election. That election really fucked me up. I lost some friendships that day.

Brinbe

Yep, we really just need to see whether there's any sign of a bounce for Obama out of this convention. If there is any, I'd say he's well on his way to securing this thing (assuming he performs half-decently in the debates). And if there isn't, well he's still the favorite, but perhaps not an overwhelming one.

But if the DNC is as successful tonight and tomorrow as it was yesterday, and there's still no sign of a bounce, just forget about these things significantly mattering ever again.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Im really surprised that they are indicating that Clinton did a good job because Clinton's going to fully endorse Obama

I just saw an ad over lunch, was Clinton basically saying "Romney will be like another W., Obama would be like another me. You guys like me, don't ya?"

Kosmo

Banned
Supply: The easy oil is gone. You just can find easy big fields of conventional oil anymore. Instead we rely on ultra-deep oil, pressure-washing oil-stained dirt up in Alberta Canada, and fracking shale fields for "tight oil". All of these techniques are more expensive than traditional convention liquid oil. If there was cheap easy oil to be extracted, the oil companies would do it!

I think what you meant to say, at least in the US, was that the easy oil is off limits.

Drilling-Map-21.jpg

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Yeah, you probably should take his model with a grain of salt until we see whether Obama gets a convention bounce or not. The model right now is presuming Romney should have gotten a 4-point bounce.

His model has been perfect, statistically speaking, for at least three election cycles. We have every reason to believe this will be a landslide.

markatisu

His model has been perfect, statistically speaking, for at least three election cycles. We have every reason to believe this will be a landslide.

Yup, the only people who had high expectations and then were leveled with dismay at the 2010 results ignored what was right in front of them for about a year.

I finally got around to watching Romney's speech at the RNC.

I can't remember the last time I heard a politician who sounded this... fake. Nothing he says in the speech sounds genuine, and his facial expressions and body language are utterly lacking in conviction.

Romney is basically an empty suit. In a sane world, nobody would vote for this goof.

Kosmo

Banned
Are you really this dense?

There is no proof that there is and sizable amount of "easy oil" in any of those red regions while domestic production of oil has reached an all time high under Obama.

And there is actually no definitive proof that oil reserves are even close to being depleted (not even counting oil may be abiotic in origin to begin with - but that's another discussion). For all intents and purposes, hysteria about Peak Oil has been a myth every time it's brought up.

Romney is basically an empty suit. In a sane world, nobody would vote for this goof.

In a sane world, one requirement we would require of those running things is that, you know, they have actually ever run something.

And there is actually no definitive proof that oil reserves are even close to being depleted (not even counting oil may be abiotic in origin to begin with - but that's another discussion). For all intents and purposes, hysteria about Peak Oil has been a myth every time it's brought up.

You did not even read my post or address my point -- you are completely arguing a fictional strawman.

pigeon

Banned
In that particular aspect, I'm not a fan of Ryan. Though I'm sure those that ding Ryan on that also hold Obama to the same standard.

:-/

The people who mention that about Ryan are specifically responding to the similar accusations about Obama. This is a false equivalency equivalency.

This is why I have Kosmo blocked and I just get his garbage second hand. It is just incredibly stupid garbage.

Kosmo:
I think what you meant to say, at least in the US, was that the easy oil is off limits.
The only proven easy oil that is off limits is off the west coast of California and ANWR.
ANWR = Alaska National Wildlife REFUGE
Do you know what that words means . . . it means you want to break promise we made. But that is typical. I'm actually for a grand-bargain in drilling in ANWR if a high-royalty payment is extracted and that money is used to support alternative energy development. This grand-bargain needs to be done to shut up the whiners.

California - The people of the state of California say "No" to the drilling. Do you hate democracy or do you think we should respect their decision. In the long-term, that oil will eventually be drilled up . . . and like ANWR is really good that we wait since we'll get a much bigger payment for it later. The UK sold its oil for less than $20/barrel over the last 30 years and now has to pay $110/barrel to buy oil on international oil markets. That doesn't look so smart now, does it?

But here is the real kicker . . . throw off-shore California and Alaska wide open . . . it would make almost no difference whatsoever. It might reduce gas prices by 3 cents a gallon at best. The time it would take and the production rates just don't matter.

Kosmo:
Peak oil is not about reserves, it is about production. It doesn't matter if you have infinite reserves, if the rate of production cannot be increased, it doesn't matter how big your reserves are.

Abiotic oil is is the birtherism (or creationism) of the oil industry. I'm not surprised Kosmo mentions it. And it is so amazingly stupid because even if you assume it is true (which it is not), it happens at such a slow rate that it makes no difference whatsoever!

Peak oil is fact. The only question is when it will happen. You can't consume a finite substance forever.

Yep, we really just need to see whether there's any sign of a bounce for Obama out of this convention. If there is any, I'd say he's well on his way to securing this thing (assuming he performs half-decently in the debates). And if there isn't, well he's still the favorite, but perhaps not an overwhelming one.

But if the DNC is as successful tonight and tomorrow as it was yesterday, and there's still no sign of a bounce, just forget about these things significantly mattering ever again.
Not sure about McCain but Obama didnt get any bounce in 2008 DNC Convention. I'm not expecting much this election. 24 hr news cycle, instant social media coverage, etc.

Clevinger

So remember how we were all happy that early voting hours in Ohio would be restored because of a court order? Well, Ohio’s Secretary of State, Jon Husted, is refusing to comply.

Ohio’s Secretary of State, Jon Husted, will not set new early voting hours despite a court order, according to a memo released by his office.

“Announcing new hours before the court case reaches final resolution will only serve to confuse voters,” the memo states. “Therefore, there is no valid reason for my office or the county boards of elections to set hours for in-person absentee voting the last three days before the election at this time.”

He's arguing that because it's being appealed by GOP shitheels, there's no reason to change anything until that appeal is ruled on... whenever it is.

A continuation of this. Obama's attorneys have filed a motion urging the judge (or just a judge?) to enforce his decision to restore early voting. Anyone have any idea what could happen? It's so crazy that they can do this.

Tim-E

CHEEZMO™;41781849 said:
Huh? What are you talking about? There's no rebuttal to Kosmo's point posted anywhere. HEY LOOK IT'S OBAMA ON A BICYCLE DOESNT HE LOOK SILLY GUYS

Obummer can't even get enough dumocrats together to fill a football stadium so "rain" is forcing his speech inside.

RDreamer

Jesus Christ. Just saw an Americans for Prosperity ad against Obamacare saying America is becoming more like Canada because of it...

this ad

Obama and Priorities need to hit back with that family from yesterday.

Brinbe

Not sure about McCain but Obama didnt get any bounce in 2008 DNC Convention. I'm not expecting much this election. 24 hr news cycle, instant social media coverage, etc.

True enough! But they also went first back in 08, so perhaps that will make a difference this time around. (and perhaps a weak jobs report on Friday will overshadow it all). That's why I'm so interested in what numbers come out next week. It'll forecast much of what to expect in the final 10 weeks or so.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
^ :)

“[Republicans] are gonna turn this into a political decision. It was a public safety decision,” a senior campaign official told reporters at a briefing Wednesday morning, following the announcement that President Obama will no longer speak outdoors at Bank of America Stadium because of concerns over “extreme weather.”

More than 65,000 community members had activated community credentials to attend the event, and another 19,000 people were on a waiting list for the event. Democratic officials said they expected the lion’s share of those with credentials to attend, because they had to go through a multi-step process that involved visiting a campaign office, and later activating a code using a computer or mobile device, to show that they were serious about attending.

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2...s-that-obama-couldnt-fill-stadium.php?ref=fpa

I cannot believe the GOP is seriously trying to suggest Obama couldn't fill up a stadium. Who are they trying to convince, themselves?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom