• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's worse than diablos. Nearly every post is some variant about how some silly thing people forget the next day could very well spell the end of Obama.

I have always maintained that Obama is a slight favorite or race is deadlocked. No I don't feel as confident as some of the other folks here.

I loved Obama campaign coming out of the woodwork with the Bain attack, loved Reid's attack on Romney taxes, thought Obama campaign should have come out earlier with Medicare attacks and believe the welfare ad is working better for Romney than folks at GAF think even though it is a lie. I agreed that the RNC convention was failure for Romney.

pigeon

Banned
Ugh, Howard Dean on Talk of the Nation on NPR just now saying the fiscal cliff will cause a double dip recession but that is preferable to mounting deficits. Basically said"sucks for people who lose their jobs but this is good in the long term"

I like Dean but he is such a bonehead at times.

Yeah. Wrong horse, Dean.

YOU BETTER VOTE FOR MITT

I'M NOT EVEN KIDDING

WE GIVE A LOT OF MONEY TO CHARITY

So basically nothing is going to happen and they'll largely get away with it?

It is definitely possible that he's right and that there is, in fact, enough time to get the early voting hours done after the appeals court rules -- especially since the appeals court might well hurry it up when they see this. Judges don't tend to like it when you disrespect other judges. It's also possible that they will threaten him with contempt and he will go ahead and cave. I more or less expect one of these to happen.

I definitely don't think that he will be able to not have early voting hours even after a federal judge ordered him to. SOMETHING will happen. I mean, theoretically, they could call out the National Guard and the US Marshals to FORCE early voting -- it's been known to happen, obviously. But we're getting into constitutional crisis territory at that point.

Tim-E

I think it's safe to say that Martin O'Malley completely bombed his national debut this week. He got a lot of flack for his performance on the Sunday talk shows and his cheesy speech was quickly forgotten about because it was sandwiched between Patrick and Castro.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I have always maintained that Obama is a slight favorite or race is deadlocked. No I don't feel as confident as some of the other folks here.

I loved Obama campaign coming out of the woodwork with the Bain attack, loved Reid's attack on Romney taxes, thought Obama campaign should have come out earlier with Medicare attacks and believe the welfare ad is working better for Romney than folks at GAF think even though it is a lie. I agreed that the RNC convention was failure for Romney.

I'll give you the same question I give to everyone that lacks confidence in the obvious: how exactly does Romney win? Have fun:

http://www.270towin.com/

You might look here for reference:

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/

pigeon

Banned
Jesus, who signs this lady's checks? She's awful.

That clip was basically Thanksgiving dinner, CNN style. Three people trying to politely discuss politics with a fourth person without pointing out that that fourth person is incoherently racist.

I'll give you the same question I give to everyone that lacks confidence in the obvious: how exactly does Romney win? Have fun:

Very few people took up this challenge in that "Post if you think Romney will win" thread.

I have a very hard time calling it right now as Silver said: there's still a lot of time between now and November and there is no reason to feel overly confident given that further meltdowns in Europe or rising gas prices or bad jobs reports could put it all in jeopardy.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Very few people took up this challenge in that "Post if you think Romney will win" thread.

That's because it's hard and forces them to confront their cognitive dissonance. PD basically said, "well, he's got a shot in Florida, Ohio, Wisconsin, Michigan, Colorado, Iowa, and maybe one other."

I have a very hard time calling it right now as Silver said: there's still a lot of time between now and November and there is no reason to feel overly confident given that further meltdowns in Europe or rising gas prices or bad jobs reports could put it all in jeopardy.

And this is all fine, but that's now how we play the game -- "global economic catastrophe" will always be a wildcard. We're looking at the game board as we now know it, with acceptable risk built in. Doesn't bother me if people want to say, "barring unexpected events," but that's not an excuse to ignore reality.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
That's because it's hard and forces them to confront their cognitive dissonance. PD basically said, "well, he's got a shot in Florida, Ohio, Wisconsin, Michigan, Colorado, Iowa, and maybe one other."

2277105_o.gif

pigeon

Banned

http://www.270towin.com/2012_election_predictions.php?mapid=wcB

Not pictured: the dissolution of the European Union.

I'm not saying it's likely -- the EU obviously really wants to not dissolve, and knowing that if they do they will be returning to Bushmerica is only going to increase that desire -- but shit does happen. I'm not too sanguine about the new central bank proposal.

gcubed

Ohio, Iowa, Florida. I think that basically gets it done doesn't it? Is it really that difficult to pretend Romney has a shot there?

How about PA? Because the numbers in Ohio are about as close as the numbers in PA... the Ohio numbers are even more in Obama's favor then PA if you add in the constitution party candidate.

edit... i thought there was a recent poll after the convention that showed a pretty big lead in Ohio, was my state off?

edit2... my state was off, that was VA. Continue on

eznark

Banned
^I'm not assuming anything, I didn't play with the map. I was asking if that would get it done. Notice the question marks.

How about PA? Because the numbers in Ohio are about as close as the numbers in PA... the Ohio numbers are even more in Obama's favor then PA if you add in the constitution party candidate.

No idea, a business owner in Ohio I was talking to today told me there was some poll out this week that showed Romney winning there by 3 or so but I had never heard of it. I haven't bothered to look it up.

gcubed

^I'm not assuming anything, I didn't play with the map. I was asking if that would get it done. Notice the question marks.

No idea, a business owner in Ohio I was talking to today told me there was some poll out this week that showed Romney winning there by 3 or so but I had never heard of it. I haven't bothered to look it up.

i was wrong, it was VA

Tim-E

Ohio, Iowa, Florida. I think that basically gets it done doesn't it? Is it really that difficult to pretend Romney has a shot there?

If Romney won those three states and Obama won all of the other ones he's currently leading in Obama would still win.

reilo

You was a "general" you. The path that would get Romney the win is Ohio, Iowa, Florida, AND Virginia if Obama takes the other "toss-ups" (NV, CO, etc).

Romney is behind by ludicrous margins in Ohio, and coming out against the GM bailout makes it extremely unlikely he flips it.

Tim-E

That doesn't seem impossible. They are all withing the margin of error on most polls aren't they? I don't see why that would be such a difficult argument to defend.

Obama isn't going to lose Ohio and it's looking very unlikely that he loses Virginia.

reilo

That doesn't seem impossible. They are all withing the margin of error on most polls aren't they? I don't see why that would be such a difficult argument to defend.

It's quite the task to flip those states. The more states a candidate needs to flip, the exponentially harder it becomes.

eznark

Banned
Obama isn't going to lose Ohio and it's looking very unlikely that he loses Virginia.

I agree, but if you wanted to believe there is no reason you couldn't.

Also, ludicrous margins?

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/oh/ohio_romney_vs_obama-1860.html#polls

Isn't the Columbus poll the one we were discussing last week that Silver called fine?

It's quite the task to flip those states. The more states a candidate needs to flip, the exponentially harder it becomes.
Obvioiusly and I don't think he will, but the discussion isn't a terribly difficult one to have.

People probably just didn't feel like talking to a goof like Panther is really my point.

reilo

Also, ludicrous margins?

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/oh/ohio_romney_vs_obama-1860.html#polls

Isn't the Columbus poll the one we were discussing last week that Silver called fine?

Right, and even taking that into account, look at what Silver's model says about Ohio:

Polling average 46.7 44.4 Obama +2.3
Adjusted polling average 47.1 44.0 Obama +3.1
Projected vote share ±5.5 50.8 47.6 Obama +3.2

Also, convention bounce.

Nate Silver is projecting on how it will be in November, I am talking about how I see things right now. Polls are all over the place in some states, the latest OH poll has Romney leading by 3. Even Silver's projected vote share has a decent MOE, so they still count as swing states.

We will have a better idea 2 weeks after DNC Convention is done.

gcubed

Nate Silver is projecting on how it will be in November, I am talking about how I see things right now. Polls are all over the place in some states, the latest OH poll has Romney leading by 3. Even Silver's projected vote share has a decent MOE, so they still count as swing states.

We will have a better idea 2 weeks after DNC Convention is done.

Gravis marketing is treated as a heavy GOP poll, Silver has it as a +4 GOP lean

3 points! Ludicrous lead!

still assuming VA, which, post convention was a +5 (+8 with 3rd party)... anyway, sure, you can believe it. But i can also believe in martians from venus

Also, ludicrous margins?

Obvioiusly and I don't think he will, but the discussion isn't a terribly difficult one to have.

People probably just didn't feel like talking to a goof like Panther is really my point.

Ohio has been anywhere from +3 Obama to +9 Obama all year, with only a few posters with a noted republican lean (Rasmussen, Gravis) saying otherwise.

Going deeper, Romney's likeability within the state is horrendous, and not getting better. Outside of a democratic scandal it's not in play.

eznark

Banned
We'll just ignore the poll that doesn't fit your two poles I guess.

still assuming VA, which, post convention was a +5 (+8 with 3rd party)... anyway, sure, you can believe it. But i can also believe in martians from venus

That has a 0% possibility. At least Silver is giving Romney 30%. I'd put Martians from Mars at roughly 32%.

Effect

MSNBC Wins Primetime Convention Ratings For The First Time Ever

MSNBC's victory came on the first night of the Democratic convention in Charlotte. The network was first in both total viewers (4.107 million) and in the coveted 18-49 demo (1.432 million.) CNN came in second, with 3.88 million and 1.368 million in both categories. Fox News trailed far behind, drawing just 2.398 million total viewers and 550,000 in the demo -- a far cry from its ratings on the first night of the Republican convention, when it drew a whopping 9.1 million viewers.

First news on ratings I think.

Gravis marketing is treated as a heavy GOP poll, Silver has it as a +4 GOP lean

And PPP is +3.1, or at least was.

20fivethirtyeight-poll-graf-custom1.png

Although, I don't know here to find his up to date pollster ratings, anybody?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
So basically everyone's reply to "you can't use a potential world catastrophe as an excuse to not defend your doubt" was to reply with potential world catastrophes? Ok.

Also, convention bounce.

Obama probably won't get a convention bounce of any significance. The amount of undecided voters is quite low this year. He'll get perhaps a similar bump as Romney's: 3%, and the numbers will even out shortly afterward or move in Romney's direction depending on the economy (friday jobs report is this friday).

Obama is barely leading in Ohio, Iowa, and Florida. This is far from over, and a major event can still throw this race completely off course - whether it's Europe or something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom