• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivysaur12

Banned
Man, Warren's down ~5 in Massachusetts? I really hope she gets a bump from the DNC :(

That's in a whole league of its own. Republicans were scurrying about trying to figure out how to play that one off directly afterward.

I really doubt it -- as much as I like Warren and Baldwin, I've given up hope in those two races.

RDreamer

I really doubt it -- as much as I like Warren and Baldwin, I've given up hope in those two races.

Baldwin's done. I still have hope for Warren.

It still seems really weird to me that people would crossover and vote Obama and Brown. Like I don't really get that at all, but I guess I don't know Brown and Massachusetts a lot. I understand the crossovers of Obama and Thompson here in Wisconsin, though. I don't think they should be as stark as they probably will be, but yeah I understand it.

Diablos

I just can't understand how Warren is losing in MA. She's not Coakley, she did everything right. Sure she's not all that charismatic, but seriously, MA voters are crazy if they think Brown is a true moderate.

ivysaur12

Banned
I just can't understand how Warren is losing in MA. She's not Coakley, she did everything right. Sure she's not all that charismatic, but seriously, MA voters are crazy if they think Brown is a true moderate.

He's polling well with moderates. It doesn't matter if he is or he isn't -- he's perceived to be as such.

And poor Tammy Baldwin. That would have meant so much if she was elected.

Warren down by 5% still, despite multiple (recent) cases of Brown taking conservative positions or flip flopping on women's issues? She's done. I don't buy the idea that she's too liberal for MA, of all places. She doesn't connect with many voters, and her speaking style is often shrill and unconvincing. She should be in the cabinet where she doesn't have to shake hands and be buddy buddy with voters.

I'm not sure a woman can beat Brown, to be perfectly honest. He appeals too much to men, and even women, and is just the type of moderate republican that wins in the northeast.

Baldwin never had a chance against Thompson

ivysaur12

Banned
Warren down by 5% still, despite multiple (recent) cases of Brown taking conservative positions or flip flopping on women's issues? She's done. I don't buy the idea that she's too liberal for MA, of all places. She doesn't connect with many voters, and her speaking style is often shrill and unconvincing. She should be in the cabinet where she doesn't have to shake hands and be buddy buddy with voters.

I'm not sure a woman can beat Brown, to be perfectly honest. He appeals too much to men, and even women, and is just the type of moderate republican that wins in the northeast.

Baldwin never had a chance against Thompson

How could they say no?

scott-brown-model-pics-80s.jpg

RDreamer

Warren down by 5% still, despite multiple (recent) cases of Brown taking conservative positions or flip flopping on women's issues? She's done.

To be fair, there hasn't been a poll since August 21, so those recent positions and flip flops may not be a part of that poll. I'd be curious to see how she actually stands now.

Wait, what's the problem with Granholm's speech? I heard it replayed this morning on the drive to work and though it was one of the best! Is Kosmo just being partisan, or does everyone else think it was bad too?

pigeon

Banned
Wait, what's the problem with Granholm's speech? I heard it replayed this morning on the drive to work and though it was one of the best! Is Kosmo just being partisan, or does everyone else think it was bad too?

I thought it was fine. Maybe a little over the top. And she...moved a lot. Like a lot. Aggressively so. Probably you can't tell that from the radio.

BAIER: To hear several speakers in Charlotte … they were essentially saying that you don’t care about the U.S. military because you didn’t mention U.S. troops and the war in Afghanistan in your nomination acceptance speech. … Do you regret opening up this line of attack, now a recurring attack, by leaving out that issue in the speech.

ROMNEY: I only regret you’re repeating it day in and day out. When you give a speech you don’t go through a laundry list, you talk about the things that you think are important and I described in my speech, my commitment to a strong military unlike the president’s decision to cut our military. And I didn’t use the word troops, I used the word military. I think they refer to the same thing.

Oops?

DynamicG

Ah, this explains the Granholm focus.

Can we use this equivalency to reverse engineer Kosmobot's programming? What are the comparable characteristics of these scenarios? Were they the craziest speeches from their respective conventions?

Clevinger

She was goofy, similar to Howard Dean's enthusiasm, but that's about it. They're desperately trying to come up with a Democratic equivalent to Eastwood.

Vestal

BAIER: To hear several speakers in Charlotte … they were essentially saying that you don’t care about the U.S. military because you didn’t mention U.S. troops and the war in Afghanistan in your nomination acceptance speech. … Do you regret opening up this line of attack, now a recurring attack, by leaving out that issue in the speech.

ROMNEY: I only regret you’re repeating it day in and day out. When you give a speech you don’t go through a laundry list, you talk about the things that you think are important and I described in my speech, my commitment to a strong military unlike the president’s decision to cut our military. And I didn’t use the word troops, I used the word military. I think they refer to the same thing.
Oops?
That is a MAJOR gaffe..

She was goofy, similar to Howard Dean's enthusiasm, but that's about it. They're desperately trying to come up with a Democratic equivalent to Eastwood.

Democrats just have to face the shame that they failed to include avant garde experimental theater during a prime slot in their convention.

Kosmo

Banned
Granholm was my governor and I work with people who reported directly to her while she was governor - I probably know her (or at least what people really think of her that work with her) better than most. I think she went for an over the top speech and it just didn't work. She, like most politicians, has a sense of herself that she actually knows what she was doing while governing, while most who worked with her will tell you she had no idea what she was doing.

Kosmo

Banned
That is a MAJOR gaffe..

How is it a gaffe?

"You talk about things you think are important...I talked about a strong military. I didn't use the word "troops" - I think they refer to the same thing."

I'm sure the "You didn't build that" crowd will defend Romney, however, since the know the context. ;)

Vestal

How is it a gaffe?

"You talk about things you think are important...I talked about a strong military. I didn't use the word "troops" - I think they refer to the same thing."

He didn't talk about Afghanistan.. Thats the problem. You could also make the case that Military and troops are not the same thing.. Strong military could just mean spending out the ass on more bombs.

How is it a gaffe?

When you give a speech you don’t go through a laundry list, you talk about the things that you think are important and I described in my speech

You can make it seem as though the troops weren't as important enough to be a part of Romney's speech.

bananas

Banned
How is it a gaffe?

It's the same way "Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you've got a business -- you didn't build that." is a gaffe.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
hope this isn't asking for too much, but my new job is crushing my reading time -- can anybody update me with what happened today? I know jobs were low (told you), and I heard about the bounce. What else? Any good reactions?

RDreamer

How is it a gaffe?

They don't. Sorry.

Also Afghanistan, the war we are currently in is not important?

I'm sorry, but that's a fucking gaffe right there. It's pretty insulting to our troops, too. And I do think when you're auditioning for a job with so many facets you absolutely do need to go through a laundry list of things and talk about your stances or at least mention them... especially something that important.

How is it a gaffe?

I'm sure the "You didn't build that" crowd will defend Romney, however, since the know the context. ;)

He thinks the war in Afghanistan, where American troops are giving their lives, wasn't important enough to mention

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
oh come on. he didn't mention the troops directly or indirectly, not ONCE. He was talking about the military as it pertains to international financial interest.

Cloudy

Banned
That is a MAJOR gaffe..

I still can't get over the fact that the GOP is on the defensive regarding National Security. Why isn't Romney getting GOP veterans to come out and vouch for him?

I know it's hard to make a case against Obama on this issue from the right (since he's been so hawkish) but they can't just avoid talking about it. That's what leads to not mentioning the troops in a convention speech.

gcubed

I told you, Fox just did a segment claiming Obama camp is bullying Gallup cos it shows them losing lol

umm... I'm pretty sure gallup is still insane and using the 2010 midterm voter breakdown for its polling. Gallup showing a dem swing is pretty big

Wilsongt

He had two mentions of the military:

First was mentioning creating a stronger economy and creating a stronger military.

The next was talking about Obama's defense cuts.

That's pretty much it. No war talk or anything. Yet he thought it was important enough to mention being pro-life, sanctity of marriage, and school choice and all.

Cloudy

Banned
Meh. This is like the Dems not having flag pins in their platform.

Sure, it might be spun to make Romney look bad, but it's pretty stupid.

It's something the GOP would do if the roles are reversed. Dems are just using the typical Republican playbook since it worked so well for Bush

Wilsongt

Meh. This is like the Dems not having flag pins in their platform.

Sure, it might be spun to make Romney look bad, but it's pretty stupid.

So was "You didn't build that". But, I don't think the Dems are as petty at the Republicans to take a misspeak like that and run with it like it's the Holy Grail of gaffes.

Clevinger

Good news. That Ohio Secretary of State fuckstain, Jon Husted, who was thumbing his nose at the court order to expand early voting is now backing away from his defiance.

In a court filing on Friday afternoon, Husted said he “apologizes to the federal district court” for creating what he called the “misimpression” that he was ignoring the order. “The Secretary would never intentionally contravene an order issued by the federal district court or any other court — and this case is no exception,” the state said in the filing.

This guy is such a piece of shit that I'm worried he'll change it back at the last minute. But we'll see.

RDreamer

Also, thought I'd say the spin that Obama couldn't fill a stadium and that's why he changed places didn't play well with independents. At least the pretty big independent I know. He thought it was a dumb as hell critique and made the Republicans look stupid and delusional. I think at this point he's pretty solidly voting for Obama, mostly because the Republicans have been making fools of themselves with things like that.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Unsurprising and probably meaningless beyond comparing it to Romney's bump.

I wonder, when the Republicans win the House and Obama wins the presidency, are they still going to be the obstructionist congress? Will they finally throw their hands up and try to work with the president, or are we going to see the same gridlock without any real necessary policy getting signed?

“Our top political priority over the next four years should be to deny President Obama a third term.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom