• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
The right wing mental breakdown over bayonets is such a snap shot of how they operate. Everyone will have heard about the "zinger" or seen it by this time tomorrow, but that hasn't stopped the far right from attempting to spin it as Obama disrespecting the military. It's such a weak, stupid attack that is so easily combated.

Seems desperate, that's for sure. He clearly said the US had less horses or bayonets in military use than 100 years ago, not that there were none. But even if he said there were none, that wouldn't outweigh Romney's comments with regards to the number of ships as a disconnect with the military.

I'm not sure whether the fact it is getting any kind of traction on the right is a sign of desperation, lack of listening and/or critical thinking skills, pettiness, or some combination of these things.

CrazyDude

Guys, last night I had a dream about how the election will turn out.

Obama 270

Romney 270.5

Romney wins.

Romney gets Ohio, but loses Florida.

Aaron

Scott Brown has collapsed and Warren is pretty much near guaranteed to win at this point. Their debates really hurt Brown.
It's hard to tell Brown is still running. Here in MA all the ads are about Warren. Sure some are negative, but when she's the only name I've heard, I don't know who else to vote for. /uniformed voter

Seems desperate, that's for sure. He clearly said the US had less horses or bayonets in military use than 100 years ago, not that there were none. But even if he said there were none, that wouldn't outweigh Romney's comments with regards to the number of ships as a disconnect with the military.

I'm not sure whether the fact it is getting any kind of traction on the right is a sign of desperation, lack of listening and/or critical thinking skills, pettiness, or some combination of these things.

It's like those various things McCain's camp would try to make a big deal of in 2008. Michelle Malkin's immediate reaction was that Obama's comment was a "Dukakis" moment, and that it would lose him the debate. Well...clearly twitter has reacted quite positively to it; hell, a lot of the memes popping up insinuate that Romney actually said we need more horses and bayonets. It was the clear takeaway from the debate, and a plus for Obama.

I must be tone deaf.

I thought Obama won but it didn't seem like it was that decisive.

Of course, I support Obama so I mentally adjust my rating against him a bit to account for my own bias.

Anyway, happy the snap polls all agree with me that he won.

Yeah, I think Obama won the second debate by a wider margin than he won this one. This was a hard debate to "win" because Mitt basically just adopted all of Obama's policies and said he do them (but be white as Maher pointed out). That said, the take-away meme is going to be Bayonets and Horses, so Mitt loses. Mitt did a lot of rambling and stuttering in his presentation of adopting Obama's policies.

It's like those various things McCain's camp would try to make a big deal of in 2008. Michelle Malkin's immediate reaction was that Obama's comment was a "Dukakis" moment, and that it would lose him the debate. Well...clearly twitter has reacted quite positively to it; hell, a lot of the memes popping up insinuate that Romney actually said we need more horses and bayonets. It was the clear takeaway from the debate, and a plus for Obama.

Zingers!

So I'm not as worried about Obama anymore, but now there's still the question of the Senate races. Are any 3-4 seats vulnerable atm to go red?

NE is pretty much the only seat that looks like it's going to flip from the Dems at this point (Tester, Heitkamp and McCaskill are all ahead, in roughly that order from narrow to wide leads)

Also AZ, NV, and IN are all looking like tossups at the Senate level - so there's a small chance the Dems could actually gain.

Warren's got it in the bag now, I think. Brown tanked it.

Baldwin is a strong universal healthcare candidate here in Wisconsin, and she seems to have a consistent, solid 4-5 point lead over Thompson.

Yeah, it has been an interesting election season. Brown seemed like he dominated but imploded. Tammy seemed like a longshot but then Tommy Thompson imploded.

But on the annoying side, Todd Akin had one of the biggest implosions but may still win. Dam you Missouri . . . that guy is worse than Brown & Thompson.

PPP says Romney up 2 in their daily tracker.

Seems like he had a really good Sunday night polling that is driving it. This one seems ready to swing back in 2 days.

Okay, I feel like this PoliGAF OT trolling is getting out of hand. Are there any PoliGAF regulars in the debate thread who aren't pretending to root for Romney?

HylianTom

Banned
I think I'm savoring this set of debate reactions more than the last one. The Republicans' normally excellent party discipline isn't as solid this time around. One can easily see this on TV and online.

Making things even funnier? Dems are calling them out on this, and on the Republicans insistance upon sticking to insane, otherworldly refusals to admit when their candidate has been outperformed, even in just a simple debate. They've been goaded into some truly telling responses. Very entertaining.

Romney has gotten close. But it wouldn't've been enough, and they know it. Tonight was their last scheduled chance to alter the path of this race, and he blew it. Not only did he blow it, but he did so in really humorous, memorable, obvious style. He was exposed tonight.

To get so damn close, only to run out of gas.. that's gotta hurt. Badly. Romney had probably converted North Carolina, and had good shots at Virginia, Florida, and Colorado. He needed to run the table, and - in a hopeful sign - he had turned the tide in several states. But after tonight? Gone, slipped through his fingers. This was as close as he would get.

Obamacare, a deluge of lifetime court appointees, credit for the impending recovery - they'd closed a lot of the electoral gap, but now it's all gone, like a fart in the wind.

And now we get to watch them react to their new reality. The GOP is going to get more and more desperate over the next two weeks, resisting the legitimate ruin that is heading their way. After this loss comes the infighting, and then the reflection. And then, perhaps they'll be forced to face the fact that the map really isn't in their favor anymore. Something's gotta give.. and it's not going to be demography.

I'm going to savor that desperation. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of scumbags. God, this is going to be a great Christmas Holiday season. :)

Michelle Malkin's immediate reaction was that Obama's comment was a "Dukakis" moment, and that it would lose him the debate.
I don't even understand that.

I can see harping on Obama for being so sarcastic and condescending . . . but "Dukakis moment". If it was anyone's "Dukakis moment", it was Mitt's as he advocated for a massive blue-water navy . . . something that is just not that relevant today.

IrishNinja

I think I'm savoring this set of debate reactions more than the last one. The Republicans' normally excellent party discipline isn't as solid this time around. One can easily see this on TV and online.

Making things even funnier? Dems are calling them out on this, and on the Republicans insist upon sticking to insane, otherworldly refusals to admit when their candidate has been outperformed, even in just a simple debate. They've been goaded into some truly telling responses. Very entertaining.

Romney has gotten close. But it wouldn't've been enough, and they know it. Tonight was their last scheduled chance to alter the path of this race, and he blew it. Not only did he blow it, but he did so in really humorous, memorable, obvious style. He was exposed tonight.

To get so damn close, only to run out of gas.. that's gotta hurt. Badly. Romney had probably converted North Carolina, and had good shots at Virginia, Florida, and Colorado. He needed to run the table, and - in a hopeful sign - he had turned the tide in several states. But after tonight? Gone, slipped through his fingers. This was as close as he would get.

Obamacare, a deluge of lifetime court appointees, credit for the impending recovery - they'd closed a lot of the electoral gap, but now it's all gone, like a fart in the wind.

And now we get to watch them react to their new reality. The GOP is going to get more and more desperate over the next two weeks, resisting the legitimate ruin that is heading their way. After this loss comes the infighting, and then the reflection. And then, perhaps they'll be forced to face the fact that the map really isn't in their favor anymore. Something's gotta give.. and it's not going to be demography.

I'm going to savor that desperation. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of scumbags. God, this is going to be a great Christmas Holiday season. :)

i dont believe in jinxing things

but in about 2 weeks time, im gonna co-sign all of this drunkenly from my phone

just a heads-up

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I really need to get into the conservative pundit business. Just make up your own reality and make bank off it. It's fucking brilliant.

Here is an important fact: Michelle Malkin is literally wealthy on the strength of her looks and her opinions. Now, try not to commit seppuku,

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I must be tone deaf.

I thought Obama won but it didn't seem like it was that decisive.

Of course, I support Obama so I mentally adjust my rating against him a bit to account for my own bias.

Anyway, happy the snap polls all agree with me that he won.
I thought that Romney had a good point concerning the mistrust between Israel's government and the Obama administration, but he failed to exploit his advantage and instead tried to advance his superficial "apology tour" talking points, which burned him badly. Obama came across as much more serious and refined on foreign issues. Romney still seems like he's trying to politicize everything.

enhanced-buzz-28547-1350959020-3.jpg

enhanced-buzz-30667-1350959222-0.jpg

enhanced-buzz-29461-1350959540-0.jpg

enhanced-buzz-1546-1350970816-0.jpg

enhanced-buzz-30622-1350959881-4.jpg

enhanced-buzz-23996-1350959905-4.jpg

enhanced-buzz-9282-1350959959-4.jpg

http://www.buzzfeed.com/gavon/the-second-zinger-of-the-night?

I don't even understand that.

I can see harping on Obama for being so sarcastic and condescending . . . but "Dukakis moment". If it was anyone's "Dukakis moment", it was Mitt's as he advocated for a massive blue-water navy . . . something that is just not that relevant today.

I'm guessing it's a suggestion that Obama sounded completely ignorant on foreign policy, and wanted to cut defense like Dukakis. Yeah....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom