• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloudy

Banned
So, I heard Chuck Todd tonight say/tweet today that things are swinging to Romney but also that CO and VA are the closest states. Correct me if I'm wrong but Obama doesn't need either of those for 270 if he takes OH, WI and IA

HylianTom

Banned
Nate has the chance of a popular/electoral split at 5.9% currently. I'll be watching over the next week to see if anything shrinks this chance. I can't see Romney losing a lot of his advantage down here in the South after tonight, but who knows?

So, I heard Chuck Todd tonight say/tweet today that things are swinging to Romney but also that CO and VA are the closest states. Correct me if I'm wrong but Obama doesn't need either of those for 270 if he takes OH, WI and IA

Bingo. If he holds the Gore/Kerry States and adds Nevada (which is looking really solid now), this gets him to 263EVs. Colorado or Ohio or Virginia or Florida will do the trick.

Marvie_3

Banned

He'd be at 281 with OH, WI, IA

pigeon

Banned
Again, if we assume Nevada is in Obama's pocket along with Michigan and Pennsylvania, here are his paths to victory:

* OH + WI
* OH + IA + any swing state
* OH + CO + any swing state
* IA + CO + WI + NH (some possible substitutions here with VA, FL)

Here's what Romney needs:

* every state except OH and one of IA/CO
* OH + NC + VA + FL + any swing state (or substitutions with CO, WI, etc.)

Not so bad.

Hammer24

Banned
I think it was a rather clever performance by Romney.
All he had to do was to show the undecideds that he is "electable", i.e. no BushII, and not running into another war (Iran) before the snow melts. His defensive posturing should rather help him there.
So in the end, I expect another upturn in the polls for him.

Cloudy

Banned
I can't see Romney losing a lot of his advantage down here in the South after tonight, but who knows?

For the last time, debates don't change anything. The truth about the first debate is that the media wanted a horserace so bad that they were going to call it a Romney win regardless. Obama was passive and it played right into their script. Dems piled on Obama instead of attacking Mitt's lies and the 2 weeks of negative coverage from all angles is what moved the numbers (of folks who were always going to go with the GOP in the end or stay home)

SmokeMaxX

Again, if we assume Nevada is in Obama's pocket along with Michigan and Pennsylvania, here are his paths to victory:

* OH + WI
* OH + IA + any swing state
* OH + CO + any swing state
* IA + CO + WI + NH (some possible substitutions here with VA, FL)

Here's what Romney needs:

* every state except OH and one of IA/CO
* OH and any swing state

Not so bad.
Assuming Romney also gets NC, FL, and VA. He can get NC, and FL, but I'm not convinced he'll get VA without a fight.

I think it was a rather clever performance by Romney.
All he had to do was to show the undecideds that he is "electable", i.e. no BushII, and not running into another war (Iran) before the snow melts. His defensive posturing should rather help him there.
So in the end, I expect another upturn in the polls for him.
Well yeah he showed that he's like that this week, his positions were different last week and I'm sure they'll change again next week.

HylianTom

Banned
One thing I really enjoyed hearing on PBS after the debate? The sheer enormosity of impact that Obama's groumd game will have in Ohio. I think it was Halperin who said it was unlike anything he's ever seen - an incredible accomplishment. They were talking of the prospect that Obama's ground organization could add a point or two to each state.

Romney already has a tight rope to walk.. but he also has to do it against Obama's machine.

watershed

Banned
Reading conservative websites after a debate loss is amazing. You gotta hand it to them, they are completely dedicated to their bs. After the first debate, liberal websites ripped the president, and rightly so. Conservatives on the other hand see only gold from Romney even though they will all rip him to pieces if he loses in November and you can be sure some conservatives will point to the last 2 debates for criticism.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
doesn't the jobs report come out on a friday? won't that be way too early to report it on november 2?

On the BLS site, the report is scheduled to be released on Nov. 2. There are numerous examples of reports being released early in the month. The best recent example is the May 2012 report that was released on June 1.

So unfortunately, I don't think we'll be lucky enough to have the next jobs report delayed til after the election. But as long as it doesn't go back above 8%, Obama should be fine.

Bowdz

How much of an impact do people think Gary Johnson will have? Of the few polls I have seen with him included, he only gets a few percentage points outside of CO, NM, and NV, but in a close election where candidates are tied, that could make the difference. Does anyone think Johnson will deliver NV and CO to Obama? Will he have any impact on the FL race?

How much of an impact do people think Gary Johnson will have? Of the few polls I have seen with him included, he only gets a few percentage points outside of CO, NM, and NV, but in a close election where candidates are tied, that could make the difference. Does anyone think Johnson will deliver NV and CO to Obama? Will he have any impact on the FL race?

It's pretty impossible to measure his impact because a lot of people in swing states may decide last minute not to waste their vote.

My belief is he will take some votes away from Mitt overall. Enough to make a difference in a swing state? I don't know.

Trakdown

wait, am i reading that right? he takes OH and FL and that's it? goddamn that's not reassuring

Ohio is not going to go for Romney, certainly not with this little time left. Not with Mitt's attitude towards the Auto bailout, not with Mandel embarassing himself and not with polling that hasn't shown any semblance of a shift towards him ever in this election.

Mitt has to flip states to win, Obama doesn't. And worst case scenario, the debate solidified the way things are now. Best case, they improved them for Obama.

Duffyside

Banned
Can anyone think of an instance where a state was supposedly in the bag for a candidate in the polls leading up to election day, and then as it turns out the other guy won the state? How often does that happen? Am I crazy in thinking Bush getting Tennessee in 2000? Anything more recent?

Cloudy

Banned
He'd be at 281 with OH, WI, IA

Yeah I just noticed he doesn't even need IA. Just OH and WI

1a9AJl.png

Trakdown

Can anyone think of an instance where a state was supposedly in the bag for a candidate in the polls leading up to election day, and then as it turns out the other guy won the state? How often does that happen? Am I crazy in thinking Bush getting Tennessee in 2000? Anything more recent?

Wasn't Indiana kind of like that in 2008?

Hammer24

Banned
Well yeah he showed that he's like that this week, his positions were different last week and I'm sure they'll change again next week.

Sure. But will that matter?
The few people that are still undecided, are probably swing voters that voted Obama in 2008, and are reluctant to do so now. All they want to be is reassured that Romney is no rightwing nutjob, and yesterdays performance should help him in this regard.

IrishNinja

god, that's how you know the electoral college needs to go

look at that map, and tell me why flyover states determine primaries, much less elections.

i mean my homestate of FL is huge but it's pretty well established even we shouldn't be the shotcallers here

The few people that are still undecided, are probably swing voters that voted Obama in 2008, and are reluctant to do so now. All they want to be is reassured that Romney is no rightwing nutjob, and yesterdays performance should help him in this regard.

pretty fair point...i was wishing obama would go after romney's talk in the primaries of preemptive strike on iran; at least, i recall ever non-ron paul GOP candidate co-signing that nonsense

pigeon

Banned

Fox talking points.

I think this is going to hurt Romney to some small degree at least just because, like Obama in the first debate, he didn't want to engage, he sounded uncertain, he agreed a lot, and he basically looked the whole time like he didn't want to be there. Obama's first performance was painful because people had invested in an image of Obama as a fighter for the left and had that image dashed. Romney's image as the dynamic John Galt figure got shattered tonight.

Good news for Romney.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Wasn't Indiana kind of like that in 2008?
McCain was favored, but Obama still tied or led in several polls leading up to the election. And the financial crisis was probably a large reason why the election shifted so decisively in Obama's favor. There is no analogous event in this election that could possibly change the dynamics of the race.

AniHawk

On the BLS site, the report is scheduled to be released on Nov. 2. There are numerous examples of reports being released early in the month. The best recent example is the May 2012 report that was released on June 1.

So unfortunately, I don't think we'll be lucky enough to have the next jobs report delayed til after the election. But as long as it doesn't go back above 8%, Obama should be fine.

how has october looked in the past? generally good (leading into the holiday season)? any indicators to see if things aren't getting worse or are improving?

Hammer24

Banned
pretty fair point...i was wishing obama would go after romney's talk in the primaries of preemptive strike on iran; at least, i recall ever non-ron paul GOP candidate co-signing that nonsense

The debate felt, as if they weren´t debating each other.
Romney debated Bush, to show how he´s different to him.
Obama debated Obama 2008, to show he didn´t too bad from his promises.

Diablos

Listened to the last 30 minutes of the debate, gg Obama.

It was funny. The dudes on Fox News Radio came out in defense of Romney saying he was "professional" and reserved. Kinda like the damage control you heard from Dems when Bams shit the bed in Denver. We know what it means: Your guy lost.

Just saw Romney's answer to the first question regarding Libyia. Bahahahahahahahaha! I know answers routinely diverge from the question, but holy cow he was so scared to even look at the question let alone attempt to answer it directly.

Listened to the last 30 minutes of the debate, gg Obama.

It was funny. The dudes on Fox News Radio came out in defense of Romney saying he was "professional" and reserved. Kinda like the damage control you heard from Dems when Bams shit the bed in Denver. We know what it means: Your guy lost.

There was damage control? Seemed more like damage exacerbation.

Virgil Goode on the ballot in VA may be the pivotal 3rd party guy. He was a pretty conservative Virginia Congressman with a nativist bent. He may take a few percent from Romney thus handing it to Obama.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgil_Goode

So apparently media is playing up Romney as the candidate of peace.

I think no matter the result here, this Election will forever change how campaigns are handled = Lie FTW

Kusagari

It's pretty unbelievable Obama won Indiana in 08 since he's getting clobbered there now.

Only state he won in 08 that he has absolutely zero chance at this time.

Cloudy

Banned
Just saw Romney's answer to the first question regarding Libyia. Bahahahahahahahaha! I know answers routinely diverge from the question, but holy cow he was so scared to even look at the question let alone attempt to answer it directly.

I still can't get over Romney not attacking on Libya. The moderator teed it right up for him! Either his polls show him well ahead or focus groups reacted badly to it in the last debate.

ISOM

So apparently media is playing up Romney as the candidate of peace.

I think no matter the result here, this Election will forever change how campaigns are handled = Lie FTW

Who is this media you are talking about? You gotta be more specific if it's fox news, cnn, or whatever.

Arde5643

I gotta say the most surprising thing about this presidential election is its potential for creative Halloween costumes - from binders full o' women to horses and bayonets.

I still can't get over Romney not attacking on Libya. The moderator teed it right up for him! Either his polls show him well ahead or focus groups reacted badly to it in the last debate.
That's what I was thinking and ''Holy shit liberal media bias what now?!''

As for Obama's follow up on that question: HOLY SHIT. It should be illegal to burn someone that much during a debate. I am so fucking dissapointed that I wasn't able to see it happen live.

Obama fudged up the status of forces shit... I guess it doesn't work with the ''We pulled out, Romney wants to go back in'' narrative. They shouldn't have made it their takling point if they didn't want to accept the status of forces stuff.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
how has october looked in the past? generally good (leading into the holiday season)? any indicators to see if things aren't getting worse or are improving?

Apart from Oct 2008 and 2009, October seems to be very quiet. I looked all the way back to Oct 2000 and unemployment in almost every month hardly moved. So historically, things look good.

On a side note, good lord at the UE rate in Oct 2000. 3.9% is ridiculously low.

Apart from Oct 2008 and 2009, October seems to be very quiet. I looked all the way back to Oct 2000 and unemployment in almost every month hardly moved. So historically, things look good.

On a side note, good lord at the UE rate in Oct 2000. 3.9% is ridiculously low.

Unless the number coming out is recording breaking in a good or bad way all that stuff is factored in already. It won't change many minds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom