• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Nobody gives a shit that the VP comes from their state. Hell, Romney is going to lose both states he claims to be from. The Walker thing is a whole other issue as polls showed that people didn't like the recall process.
I'm surprised this isn't getting more play, considering how big of a deal everyone made when Gore lost Tennessee. I believe the last time that the winner lost his home state was Woodrow Wilson in 1916. Then again, perhaps this can be attributed to the fact that Romney identifies himself more with Bain than with any individual state.
New Hampshire worries me because they have an ethnically homogeneous population that lacks stabilizing subsets of minorities. In a State like Florida for example with heavy black and hispanic populations you can bank on reliable voting patterns among those groups. 95% of blacks for Obama and 60% or so of hispanics for Obama. Most people in a State like that are already locked in.

But New Hampshire? An entire small state of persuadable white people is unpredictable and prone to swings, with a mere 20,000 votes or so representing 3-4% of the vote, easily a winning margin.
NH will only matter if Obama loses OH, in which case it's time to panic anyway.

Joe Scarborough is on point with his talking points this morning, word for word what Romney surrogates were saying last night

"Romney's debate tone was pitch perfect" What a joke

Yeah the fact that he doesn't have an actual homestate and that he probably isn't going to win any of his faux-homestates or a state that elected him to governor should be a pretty big deal. Yet it's not. Librul media bias.

Cheebo

Banned
Yeah the fact that he doesn't have an actual homestate and that he probably isn't going to win any of his faux-homestates or a state that elected him to governor should be a pretty big deal. Yet it's not. Librul media bias.

Gore didn't win his home state and won the popular vote in 2000 (and the electoral college if the recount in florida was allowed to continue).

watershed

Banned
Romney was pretty bad tonight. Every strong point was when he was repeating what Obama already said. With little video editing, you could show how Romney essentially endorsed every Obama foreign policy position.

Gore didn't win his home state...
Which is pretty pathetic after having been elected into office for what, 16 years in that state?
Romney was pretty bad tonight. Every strong point was when he was repeating what Obama already said. With little video editing, you could show how Romney essentially endorsed every Obama foreign policy position.
''I'm Mitt Romney, and I approve this message''

massoluk

Banned
Karl Rove's headline over at Fox News.
"Romney presented himself as Commander in Chief, Obama came off as Louis XIV"

Oh, Karl Rove. Come the fuck on.

Karl Rove's headline over at Fox News.
"Romney presented himself as Commander in Chief, Obama came off as Louis XIV"

Oh, Karl Rove. Come the fuck on.

Give the Republicans credit, they will pick a narrative and cling onto it no matter what

They just showed a new 1 minute Obama ad on Morning Joe that will be going-up in nine swing states, it's easily the best ad of the campaign. I don't see it online yet, but I'm looking

Something something commander-in-chief test.

From his Politico article:

Joe Scarborough said:
But I found his tone, at times, to be jarring for a sitting commander in chief. I would roll my eyes at a cable news pundit who used the line "The 80s called and they want their foreign policy back." But that line is cringe-inducing from a president. His snarky response to Mitt Romney's legitimate concern about the shrinking size of the U.S. Navy was also unfortunate.

Romney has "zingers" and is assertive in the first debate=fantastic
Obama does it=not being presidential

pompidu

I'm actually really surprised romney has a chance. I've never heard a romney supporter actually say what his policies are. It's all about Obama is destroying the country. It's actually quite disturbing.

norinrad

I'm actually really surprised romney has a chance. I've never heard a romney supporter actually say what his policies are. It's all about Obama is destroying the country. It's actually quite disturbing.

The irony is Romney could end up winning and cutting all the programs that people need and they will suffer and they would vote for a republican again.

We can also thank the Murdoch empire for this.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
From his Politico article:

Romney has "zingers" and is assertive in the first debate=fantastic
Obama does it=not being presidential

Add it up on the whiteboard alongside

- "Obamaloney" is appropriate, "Romnesia" is not
- Out of context "You didn't build it" is appropriate, calling out "47%" is not
- "Obama eats dog!" is appropriate, "Romney torments family dog" is not
- Invoking "President's failed foreign policy" is appropriate, pointing out Romney's foreign policy inconsistencies is a "personal attack"
- Referencing non existent "apology tour" is appropriate, referencing Romney foreign tour gaffes is "personal attack"
- Negative Obama ads are appropriate, negative Romney ads are not (and "most negative campaign in history!")
- Falsely claiming Obama is stealing 780m from Medicare is appropriate, questioning how Romney's 5t tax plan will pay for itself is not
- etc etc

TiVo

Fuck MSNBC.

Halprin gives Obama and Romney both a B+.

These guys have flipped so much it is obvious the word came down from some where.
Like I said Mika, Al Sharpton, Eugune & Martin Bashir are the only ones not listening to the top office and telling the truth.

According to them Romney can do no wrong. And his flip-flopping is purely strategical and they see nothing wrong with it.
Fuck'em

gkryhewy

It'll be interesting to see the reactions in a week or so once people start finally realizing the cold, hard reality of the EV math and that the election isn't decided by national popular vote.

The odds of there being a different winner between EV and PV remain very long. If you really believe Obama is likely to win one but not the other, you can make some serious money on that proposition.

Drek

Yeah. Really good. Assume it's hitting the BG states?

Yep. Along with booklets that actually outline Obama's jobs plan and other pro-middle class policies.

Looks like the Obama campaign's view is that they have discredited Romney as best as possible and are now going to finish the last mile of the marathon with a much more pro-Obama message.

I'd say it's a pretty strong strategy.

Chumly

Obama was always going to get attacked either way. Doesn't attack enough gets steamrolled by Romney..... Attacks he's a big meany. I'd rather have Obama be rude and win verses not calling out romneys bullshit and losing.

Something something commander-in-chief test.

What's great about the "passing the commander in chief test" is that it's so vague. Republicans can spin that line and it's hard to pin point exactly the criteria of this "test". If it's just the fact that he was a old white guy in a suit who didn't sound completely crazy and was able to copy/paste Obama's positions/policies, then I guess he passed. But if it was a matter of showing any independent thought and command of the issues, Romney got a very low grade on the test.

I just find it funny that more people/pundits aren't disturbed that Romney has flip-flopped so hard on a lot of fundamental issues that there's no way of knowing which Romney will show up in office if he becomes President. That's what scares me. He could be Moderate Mitt or he could end up being another George Bush who is completely lead by the leash by his handlers and neo-con advisors in his first term.

It's a shame the media so much more concerned with the "performance" of a debate rather than the substance. Obviously style does count for something, especially for viewers during the live event. But it's the media's job to evaluate the actual substance after the debate and the following day. But so many times we keep hearing "he won on points, but it was a tie because the other guy's utter bullshit will probably appeal to a segment of voters". It's basically about who was a better cars salesman rather than who was trying to sell you a better car.

ISOM

Obama was always going to get attacked either way. Doesn't attack enough gets steamrolled by Romney..... Attacks he's a big meany. I'd rather have Obama be rude and win verses not calling out romneys bullshit and losing.

Yup I said similar before, it's much better to look as a bully than the bullied. And the funny thing is Romney started this whole thing, when obama was pretty calm in the first debate.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't know why it matters what the morning talk shows, which are always the most garbage of the garbage, say. We all saw the snap polls and saw the way they immediately framed things.

I'm most rattled by chuck Todd's crap about it being so close in the battleground states. We've all seen the same polls and I know he's exaggerating but I feel like maybe he has super secret polls we don't know about :(

gkryhewy

I don't know why it matters what the morning talk shows, which are always the most garbage of the garbage, say. We all saw the snap polls and saw the way they immediately framed things.

I'm most rattled by chuck Todd's crap about it being so close in the battleground states. We've all seen the same polls and I know he's exaggerating but I feel like maybe he has super secret polls we don't know about :(

DailyKos has polls coming out thismorning showing 7 of 9 battlegrounds within 2 points, with a decent shot (based on his tweet yesterday) of Romney being up in some portion of them. The battlegrounds are close. But I'll take close and stable.

Chumly

Yup I said similar before, it's much better to look as a bully than the bullied. And the funny thing is Romney started this whole thing, when obama was pretty calm in the first debate.
That and Romney is a pathological lier and flip flops on everything. Somebody has to call him
out and after the first debate when the media did nothing to call out the inaccuracies Obama had to go in full strength calling any and everything out for the crap it is.

chuck todd was spouting bullshit on the today show about how there are technically still bayonets in the marines somewhere.

come on, son

IrishNinja

its pretty much what was pushed with kerry in '04 though, hoping for the same results

JCizzle

chuck todd was spouting bullshit on the today show about how there are technically still bayonets in the marines somewhere.

come on, son

It's amazing to see intelligent people so easily overlook the word FEWER just to try and sound smart over a nuanced point nobody cares about. Whoa whoa, POTUS wasn't being 100% literal about a point meant to highlight his opponent's out of touch beliefs? We better get right on correcting him about the widespread usage of bayonets and horses, because that's all marines are using these days.

They care more about correcting a joke than any of the actual bullshit Romney dropped in the first debate while trying to make actual policy points.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
DailyKos has polls coming out thismorning showing 7 of 9 battlegrounds within 2 points, with a decent shot (based on his tweet yesterday) of Romney being up in some portion of them. The battlegrounds are close. But I'll take close and stable.
I feel a puke coming on!

codhand

Damn Obama's closing argument last night was amazing, all off the top, Romney looked languished and Obama looked ready to go another twelve rounds, no Mexico and no Euro discussion really hurt Bob's moderation but otherwise a clear victory for bad news.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
Putting aside substance, I thought it was a really interesting debate from a political strategy point of view last night. I'll be curious which side choose correctly in the coming weeks.

Averon

I expect the chicken littles to go into overdrive starting day. No new major events until election day. Just polls, polls, polls, with all most all for them showing a tight race. Perfect environment for the Diablos and CSs of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom