• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

besada

Banned
See, it's shit like this that really annoys me. It's like no one bothered to think about the future. No shit it was wrong, all you looked at was the price tag and nothing else. Did no one realize that fertilizer plants have exploded before?

To be fair, you're talking about a small community of poorly educated farmers and kids of poorly educated farmers. It's entirely possible they just never considered it.

To me, that's been the weirdest thing about how close stuff was to the fertilizer storage -- there is no lack of cheap land in West. It's got space out the wazoo, half of which is underfarmed, or just plain fallow. Shit, no one thought Texas City was going to blow up until it did. No one thought Galveston would be scoured from the Earth by a hurricane.

We are not a people known for thinking ahead and careful planning.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
To be fair, you're talking about a small community of poorly educated farmers and kids of poorly educated farmers. It's entirely possible they just never considered it.

To me, that's been the weirdest thing about how close stuff was to the fertilizer storage -- there is no lack of cheap land in West. It's got space out the wazoo, half of which is underfarmed, or just plain fallow. Shit, no one thought Texas City was going to blow up until it did. No one thought Galveston would be scoured from the Earth by a hurricane.

Even if all the land is cheap, stuff gets built next to each other because it's easier to connect to the existing utilities. They'll cut as many costs as possible until forced to do otherwise.

Gotchaye

Rand Paul endorsed him as well, but it's not nearly as funny as this endorsement. Can we get the owner of AshleyMadison to endorse him as well?

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/04/ashley-madison-mark-sanford-billboard-90758.html

sanford_billboard_ashleymadisoncom_605.jpg

Oh my god, this is too good to be true. This is going to be an amazing election, part of me wants to move to SC just so I can take part. You can't make this shit up!

I am in SC, nothing special going on really.

Hype limited to National Media and probably the local district.

Chichikov

Really, then you'd be living in South Carolina though.
I was reading the South Carolina wiki page for some reason, when I came across this gem:

Fire Safety Regulations: South Carolina is the only state that allows fire officials to sidestep a federal regulation requiring that for every employee doing hazardous work inside a building, one must be outside.[75]

Interesting, I said, I better follow that footnote to learn about that oddity.

75. ^ "Officials Investigate South Carolina Fire Tragedy. AP".

R3X0i.jpg

Sounds like a good argument for regulations coming from a more centralized and sophisticated entity.

Just saw the application for Obamacare was posted today.

Democrats need to do a good job explaining the law to folks and hopefully it'll have a good impact on the 2014 elections, once more people have healthcare and see their premiums go down.

Brewer, a Republican and staunch gun rights advocate, signed the bill preventing local governments from melting down the weapons obtained from these popular civic events. Before the new law, the state had allowed such firearms to be destroyed.

A spokesman for Brewer could not immediately be reached for comment late on Monday.

The bill had the support of the National Rifle Association and Arizona's Republican-controlled legislature. It cleared the state Senate earlier this month by an 18-12 vote. The state House approved the bill in March.

It is kind of mind-boggling. To some degree, you'd think the NRA would love gun buy-backs because maybe that would mean more gun sales for their benefactors.

Why do they fight this? Why?

Supporters of the measure said municipalities were wasting taxpayers' money by not realizing the revenue from reselling turned-in weapons.
I'm not buying that as a reason. Besides, a lot of these buy-backs are run by municipalities but funded with private money.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So I just saw Maddow open up her show with a segment on Guantanamo by first reviewing the whole Iran-Contra affair under Reagan. I have to say, of all the shit that went down under Reagan, the Iran-Contra thing is probably the most flabbergasting to me. I mean, let's review all the shit that went down:

-Reagan sold weapons to muslins
-Not just any muslins, mind you. The same freakin' people who held American citizens hostage a mere 4 years earlier.
-Was partly done so that the big, tough, manly Reagan who destroyed the Soviet Union, could in fact negotiate with terrorists so that they would release a new batch of hostages.
-The rest of the profits from the sales of arms were used to fund the contras who were trafficking drugs, and raping nuns.

I know right wingers are used to overlooking their God's foibles, but this is a pretty tall order.

Chichikov

The crazy thing is that we did it over Nicaragua.
I can understand a lot of shit in the context of an existential threat to a county, but fucking Nicaragua?
But that's Ronnie for you, he saw damn commies coming to get him everywhere.

Oblivion

I can understand a lot of shit in the context of an existential threat to a county, but fucking Nicaragua?

Yeah, Nicaragua, Grenada...why did we care about these places again?

thcsquad

Because it's just not a great form of mass transit, especially if your city is as sprawled out as Texan cities. Greater distances means the speed of heavy rail is that much more important. It's fine for smaller cities like Charlotte, but any city over 1 million without some heavy rail should be embarassed.

Although accomplishing any mass transit in a place as car-obsessed as Texas is a commendable feat.

FyreWulff

And I bet she funded storage, inventory, and the infrastructure to sell the weapons...

I wonder if you could loophole it by buying back weapons and then the officers sell them to themselves for a dollar, then destroy them as private owners of the weapon.

Or have a private charity buy back the guns with grants from the police department <_< then destroy them.

Daughter of a Sandy Hook victim confronts Ayotte over her gun vote.

Ayotte: "We can have strong disagreements but ultimately everything should always be debated and discussed." Wait, so you haven't been an obstructionist?

Ayotte: "We can have strong disagreements but ultimately everything should always be debated and discussed." Wait, so you haven't been an obstructionist?
I like how these asshats like to pivot to "Well, clearly we need to be enforcing the existing laws before writing new ones!" Like, oh, so you're cool with background checks then? But we can't have background checks at gun shows too?

If they're worried about background checks leading to some sort of national registry the feds can keep tabs on in case they want to confiscate guns some day, you'd think they'd be calling for a repeal of background checks altogether. But no, just let our corporate masters and the NRA have a loophole so we can still sell to potentially dangerous individuals while we still have a reasonable law in theory.

Oblivion

Guess we found the gun debate's Sandra Fluke!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I like how these asshats like to pivot to "Well, clearly we need to be enforcing the existing laws before writing new ones!" Like, oh, so you're cool with background checks then? But we can't have background checks at gun shows too?

If they're worried about background checks leading to some sort of national registry the feds can keep tabs on in case they want to confiscate guns some day, you'd think they'd be calling for a repeal of background checks altogether. But no, just let our corporate masters and the NRA have a loophole so we can still sell to potentially dangerous individuals while we still have a reasonable law in theory.

This is why conservatives do shit like defund regulatory agencies. They can effectively prevent regulations from being enforced while being able to point to regulations on the books whenever something bad happens. Meanwhile most of the public doesn't know what's going on. It's some Orwellian bullshit.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This is why conservatives do shit like defund regulatory agencies. They can effectively prevent regulations from being enforced while being able to point to regulations on the books whenever something bad happens. Meanwhile most of the public doesn't know what's going on. It's some Orwellian bullshit.

More like a Catch-22. You could easily write a catch-22 style book but set it in capital hill.

I'm really disappointed with Ayotte for her recent vote on this. I didn't vote for her, but I at least was expecting that her time as Attorney General would have made her more of a law-and-order type Republican that could possibly support gun control. But unfortunately it looks like that's not the case...

I'm really disappointed with Ayotte for her recent vote on this. I didn't vote for her, but I at least was expecting that her time as Attorney General would have made her more of a law-and-order type Republican that could possibly support gun control. But unfortunately it looks like that's not the case...
2010 was a fucked up year.

ALSO: LBJ tidbit of the day. And the reason why I'm up at the three in the morning is because I went to sleep at like 4:30pm, and now my sleeping schedule is screwed up. FINALS!

In January of 1964, the Civil Rights Act was being held up in the House Rules Committee, chaired by Southern Representative Howard Smith, a former judge. He was allowing each witness on the bill to testify at such length that it was slowing the whole process down, and threatened passage of the bill.

LBJ, in response, backed a discharge bill that would've bypassed the House Rules Committee and bring it immediately to the House floor. Only the problem was that by January 18th, there were only 178 signatures on the bill, 153 of which were Democrats. He wasn't going to find anymore Democrats because the rest were Southerners (you need an absolute majority of the chamber). This meant the rest of the signatures had to come from Republicans. Republicans leaders, however, including Charles Halleck, were advising Republicans against signing the petition, which would bypass normal House procedure.

By noon on January 18th, Halleck found himself in the Oval Office. LBJ tried a personal appeal, and when then didn't work, he went to his desk and called Jim Webb, administrator of NASA, in front of the Congressman. Johnson asked Webb what requests Halleck had made of NASA, including anything related to Purdue University, the largest educational institution in the congressman's district. "He wants to know what he can tell his people when he's running for reelection what he's done for them lately, and he wants to know what we can do for Purdue," Johnson said to Webb. "I need to do anything for Charlie Halleck. Now isn't there something you can do?"

Webb told him he'll do anything he could. He got the message. He called LBJ back on the 21st and found some NASA work that could be done at Purdue. Webb, having worked for LBJ for fifteen years, also knew that when Johnson found a weapon, he liked to keep it. The key research grant given to Purdue "would be spread over three years and then renewed each year. The net effect, Mr. President, is that if you tell him that you're willing to follow this policy as long as he cooperates with you, I can implement it on an installment basis. In other words, the minute he kicks over the traces, we stop the installment."

Caro writes, "whether or not the contracts had anything to do with it," but the following day Republican members of the Rules Committee were doing what Halleck had previously ordered them not to: meet with Democratic members to devise a way to get more Republican signatures added to the discharge bill, and get the CRA to the House floor.

In the end, though, the discharge bill wasn't needed. Congressman Smith surrendered. He sped up the hearings and allowed the bill to be voted (and therefore allowing to be passed through) the committee rather than suffer the embarrassment of having his committee bypassed.

But that is the thing . . . he didn't give a shit about any of those countries or their people. It was just do what ever to fuck with the commies. And thus lots of lives were lost or ruined in Guatemala, El Salvador, Nicuragua, etc. Really nasty right-wing militias with death squads.

There is a reason why so much of south & central America is left-wing . . . it is a backlash against us.

Averon

Did anybody see the Sandford-Colbert Busch debate? The YoungTurks covered it here with a few snippets from it. Looks incredible.

South Carolina... I was about to say it's not so bad here...

But...

Yeah.

Are the Republican's truly this stupid, or are we just hyper sensitive to it and frequently seek out stupid actions?
Neither. They have no intention of passing legislation so they propose dead end bills like this to impress a vocal minority of their state support. Same applies to the bullet bill being written now, which will apparently stop the US government from buying up all the bullets in the country (and use them to declare war against citizens of course).

In short I can't even pretend to care about stuff like this. This is what they do.

Two things:
1. Some Republicans didn't vote for expanded background checks because they don't like Obama. GOP's post policy nihilism demonstrated. Thinking about making a thread for this.
2. Obama's nominted Mel Watt to head the FHFA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom