• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.
RIP, Cloving.

It's seeing bans like his that makes me, really, really glad I stopped caring about which one is selling more, which is better, and all that ridiculousness.

Mike M

Nick N
Man, I've been on GAF since like '96 or '97 and have never been banned. It doesn't seem like it's a fate that hard to avoid : /

phaze

The New Deal, the first genuine social safety net, coincided with America's establishment as a superpower. But it was virtually nonexistent during America's ascent. So the attribution of America's ascension to its welfare state is an unusual proposition. Perhaps he meant the social safety net bolstered American power during the post-war period? That seems more reasonable.

I generally think that the point where US became a superpower was when they became the first economy in the world in late 1800's.
Anyhow USA's ascent had nothing to with social safety net and everything to do with demographics. Even the rise of influence in 40's and 50's was caused by finally spending some money on army and not the fear inducing power of Social Security

Theoretically, but there are plenty of reasons why this wouldn't work perfectly. If the president wants to take the agency in a completely new direction, it can be very difficult for any political appointee to transform the culture that is already in place. It's tougher than you would expect to fire career bureaucrats, so sometimes you'll have a problem of middle management not really making a huge effort to comply with the president and the director's priorities. A president lasts 4-8 years, an agency head for less than that, but career bureaucrats will be there for decades.

Also, there are hundreds of agencies, and the president only has so many hours in a day.

This is a good explanation. A lot of people don't understand that, while in theory the president is in charge of the executive and can dictate how agencies enforce the law, the reality is that the president's power to actually implement dictates is constrained by bureaucratic professionals. That's not to say the president's power isn't still significant in this regard.

I've only ever been banned when somebody hacked Neoaf and started purging anybody pro-Sony. I've been here since 98 I think.

I stopped caring about consoles long ago, but I got in pretty deep on BluRay vs HD-DVD.

Chichikov

Did cloving got banned for this?

Two minutes permaban, well worth it.

I mean, at least it was funny, I only got banned once, and I was arguing with myself.

p.s.
As an NBA fan he should've known they always T the retaliator, never the instigator.
But then again, having Westbrook in your username can't be good for your basketball IQ.

What do people think of Iowa's redistricting process as a model for the rest of the country? It seems that Iowa found a brilliant nonpartisan way around gerrymandering.

Link: http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/Redistricting_in_Iowa

In short, they have a nonpartisan agency that generates candidate district maps via some software that only takes population into account, and the result is sent to the legislature for an up or down vote. This apparently works pretty well for them, and they just have four rectangular-ish districts evenly split between the parties.

Should other states start to adopt this? I tend to think so, because gerrymandering is the source of so much bullshit in this country. Despite being a raging liberal, I'd be happy to see anything that increases the number of moderates in Congress.

Even if it's not adopted by other states, I would be interested to see what this method would do to their district's if applied.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I've only ever been banned when somebody hacked Neoaf and started purging anybody pro-Sony. I've been here since 98 I think.

I stopped caring about consoles long ago, but I got in pretty deep on BluRay vs HD-DVD.
Yeah, I've been here almost as long. Was pretty passionate for Nintendo for a while, but haven't posted in gaming for years now.

It looks like GAF is the only place that discussed CBS' report on Republicans changing the State department emails. What is rest of the media doing? CNN does not want to ruin a nice, simple narrative of an administration under siege, which they were trying to build for a long ass time. Looks like the CBS report was swept under the rug.
NINTENDO SUCKS
Careful, you don't want to get on Ezra Klein's bad side.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Peggy Noonan should be ashamed of herself. I accidentally read her garbage in the WSJ some mornings and I feel such sadness for that woman. It's really regrettable that someone would have be that intellectually dishonest to cash a paycheck.

Peggy Noonan should be ashamed of herself. I accidentally read her garbage in the WSJ some mornings and I feel such sadness for that woman. It's really regrettable that someone would have be that intellectually dishonest to cash a paycheck.

It's virtual jihad for her. She's a theocrat and Obama leads the baby-killers.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
By the by, I was originally angry at Obama firing the current acting head of the IRS, but then I found out the dude was leaving in June anyway. So the good news is this wasn't another Shirley Sherrod instance.

Theoretically, but there are plenty of reasons why this wouldn't work perfectly. If the president wants to take the agency in a completely new direction, it can be very difficult for any political appointee to transform the culture that is already in place. It's tougher than you would expect to fire career bureaucrats, so sometimes you'll have a problem of middle management not really making a huge effort to comply with the president and the director's priorities. A president lasts 4-8 years, an agency head for less than that, but career bureaucrats will be there for decades.

Also, there are hundreds of agencies, and the president only has so many hours in a day.

Ah okay, makes sense.

edit:

I once played Ocarina of Time. It was boring so I turned it off and never touched it again.

I am gonna murder you like you were a U.S. ambassador. :mad:

Radio host Pete Santilli made shocking remarks about former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, claiming she should be "shot" for being "involved in the killings of American troops."

Hillary Clinton needs to be convicted. She needs to be tried, convicted and shot in the vagina," Santilli said, Right Wing Watch reports. "I want to pull the trigger."

I want to shoot her right in the vagina and I don't want her to die right away; I want her to feel the pain and I want to look her in the eyes and I want to say, on behalf of all Americans that you've killed, on behalf of the Navy SEALS, the families of Navy SEAL Team Six who were involved in the fake hunt down of this Obama, Obama bin Laden thing, that whole fake scenario, because these Navy SEALS know the truth, they killed them all. On behalf of all of those people, I'm supporting our troops by saying we need to try, convict, and shoot Hillary Clinton in the vagina.

"Barack Obama needs to be tried, convicted, and shot for crimes against the United States of America," Santilli said. "And if anybody has a problem with that, then you are an enemy of our state."

tshirtguyrage.gif

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
It sounds like a fair trial to me if Santilli wants to shoot Hilary in the vagina. If she doesn't deserve it and the bullet's not legitimate, she has ways of shutting it down.

If you're not on board with that, you're not a patriot.

I want to shoot her right in the vagina and I don't want her to die right away.
What the fuck is wrong with these people? Even if we assumed Hillary Clinton personally killed those people, aren't these folks supposed to be "Follow the constitution, maaan!" folks. There goes the 5th Amendment.

KingGondo

Banned
What the fuck is wrong with these people? Even if we assumed Hillary Clinton personally killed those people, aren't these folks supposed to be "Follow the constitution, maaan!" folks. There goes the 5th Amendment.
It's just like the Bible. They keep the parts that fit their preexisting ideas and discard the rest.

Here's my statement:

"I wholeheartedly condemn Pete Santilli's statements and do not endorse, not in the slightest, the shooting of any woman in the vagina."

Ocarina of Time was amazing if you played it in 1998. Adjusted for inflation, I don't think there have been many games since then that evoked such a sense of wonder and adventure.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It's just like the Bible. They keep the parts that fit their preexisting ideas and discard the rest.
More like the idea of America is more important than anything else (like details or even ideals). It's an extremist US vs THEM mindset. If you're against "America", you're a traitor and deserve the worst. It doesn't matter if delivering this divine punishment means enacting totalitarian policies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom