• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.
senator1_635x250_1396621392.jpg

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Senator Dan Coats had a quick explanation for how he ended up speaking at the wrong hearing - the Russians made him do it.

The Indiana Republican went to what he thought was an appropriations hearing on the defense budget on Wednesday and was posing an appropriate question on that subject when someone handed him a piece of paper.

"I just got a note saying I'm at the wrong hearing," Coats said.

He had thought he was at meeting of the Military Construction, Veterans Affairs and Related Agencies Subcommittee but instead was at a gathering of the Financial Services and General Government Subcommittee.

"I think the Russians have been messing with my schedule," he tweeted on Thursday.
http://news.yahoo.com/senator-goes-wrong-hearing-blames-moscow-144255965.html?vp=1

I love how he didn't know he was at the wrong hearing until he got the note.

I think nearly 1/2 our legislative body is senile. And that is a bipartisan problem.

the difference is between a private and public transaction. You can't be barred from practicing speech in public but a private individual can bar you from doing it on their property.

That's not it either. They've never held money = speech per se. Just that restrictions on campaign contributions restrict the ability to speak. Its an artificial distinction but it prevents the misunderstanding that pervades the people who disagree with the court.

That's not it either. They've never held money = speech per se. Just that restrictions on campaign contributions restrict the ability to speak. Its an artificial distinction but it prevents the misunderstanding that pervades the people who disagree with the court.

I think court is just being intentionally naive to get the desire result. They are supposed to avoid even "the appearance of corruption". Well, when a Koch brother pens some Libertarian rant, it shows up on the WSJ and a GOPer reads it into the congressional record. Do you think that will happen if I write up some rant? Duh. Obviously the rich have a bigger influence. It is very corrupting and every politician knows it. But court has a desired result.

I think this is another part of the dying gasps of the current conservative GOP. They know they are sinking and this is yet another last gasp attempt to maintain control . . . just like the massive gerrymandering, cutting down early voting, voter ID, etc. . . . letting billionaires give as much money as possible might extend their control just a little bit longer.

But it is a risky game . . . every one of these moves can be seen as cynical anti-democracy move that may turn people against them even more.

There's a generic ballot poll from a right-wing polling outfit (Reason/Rupe) that has Democrats up by 4

Which is funny because I saw an article on NPR about how they're projecting a Republican wave based on generic ballot polling.

I think court is just being intentionally naive to get the desire result. They are supposed to avoid even "the appearance of corruption". Well, when a Koch brother pens some Libertarian rant, it shows up on the WSJ and a GOPer reads it into the congressional record. Do you think that will happen if I write up some rant? Duh. Obviously the rich have a bigger influence. It is very corrupting and every politician knows it. But court has a desired result.

I think this is another part of the dying gasps of the current conservative GOP. They know they are sinking and this is yet another last gasp attempt to maintain control . . . just like the massive gerrymandering, cutting down early voting, voter ID, etc. . . . letting billionaires give as much money as possible might extend their control just a little bit longer.

But it is a risky game . . . every one of these moves can be seen as cynical anti-democracy move that may turn people against them even more.
Oh I agree. I'm just pushing back against the sillness that goes on with what the court is declaring in Corporate Personhood cases or Campaign Fiance.

Doesn't this include 2007 and 2008? So net jobs since 2009 should be positive, right?
Wikipedia says a net of 1.2 million jobs were created during Obama's first term.

So far we're at 2.7 million jobs for term 2 with data for March and February being preliminary, for a total of 3.9 million since Obama took office.

Generally I think it's easier for a Republican to earn the goodwill of blue state voters than vice-versa.

Even though it's unlikely, there could be a Republican winning in MN, PA, MI under the right conditions. A Democrat winning Texas anytime soon though?

This has probably softened since Reagan's time, too.

in other words, Democratic voters need to stop being wimps

in other words, Democratic voters need to stop being wimps
You cant blame them though. Illinois swings from red Gov to blue Gov time to time. All of them are corrupt and renege on their promises. At least red ones don't go on tax increase spree. Did you know IL is now second only to highest property taxes in country after NJ? We are gonnna overtake them soon if the trend keeps up. Its batshit ridiculous. I'm not voting for Rauner but sure as hell not voting for Quinn. IL also has twice as many public offices as the most populous state. It's all pork and every Governor is forced to feed the pig. Then you see our dismal public transportation, potholes and worst public education system in the country and realize that all the tax money is going into the broken and abused pension funds and the unions are just as corrupt as tbe politicians and real estate dealers. Its a mess. IL is the next Michigan.

zargle

Means nothing, DeWine will appeal it and it'll get put on hold.

Still, I look favorably upon steps in the right directions. I know appeals and holds are on the way, but better to have one judge rule favorably than against. I do wish it could do more than just recognize out-of-state marriages, but hopefully in time this stupid state can get closer to that. Would be great to have judges in Cincinnati strike down these things and have the GOP convention get picked there just to see some rage. But on the other hand, I kinda really don't want the GOP convention in my area, potential economic boons be damned.

'bams' approval rating has been inching up.

Gallup - 45/50
Rasmussen - 50/49
CBS News - 43/50 (41/51 in February)
Quinnipiac - 42/50 (40/54 in January)
Fox News - 40/53 (38/54 in early March)
GWU/Battleground - 44/53 (41/54 in January)

The only exception seems to be...

Associated Press/GfK - 41/59 (45/53 in January)

...but their polls have been weird since they switched to online.

The average on pollster is now 44-52. Hopefully he can budge up 3 or 4 more points before September. Some more good jobs reports and good news on PPACA should help. Like this!

One outstanding question for Obamacare had been whether more young adults would sign up ahead of the March 31 deadline. Some early returns, according to an analysis by the Washington Post, suggest that they did.

Even with the increase, young adults are still less than the nearly 40 percent of enrollees that the Obama administration had said that it was aiming for, but it is an improvement from earlier in the enrollment period. And independents analysts have said that the current sign-up rate among young adults, about 25 percent of all enrollees nationwide as of the end of February, should be enough to avoid any kind of premium-driven death spiral.

senator1_635x250_1396621392.jpg

http://news.yahoo.com/senator-goes-wrong-hearing-blames-moscow-144255965.html?vp=1

I love how he didn't know he was at the wrong hearing until he got the note.

I think nearly 1/2 our legislative body is senile. And that is a bipartisan problem.

Hey I once attended the wrong exam final. Only realized when I received it. When you're planning on writing essays and end up with an organic chemistry exam, it's a bit shocking lol.

In other news, whatever onion writers are paid, it's not enough.
The decision from the nation’s highest court, which was greeted with cheers from advocates and interest groups that have long worked tirelessly on behalf of money, ensures that U.S. dollars can no longer be disenfranchised, and for the first time in history, guarantees that every single one of them will be free to participate in the democratic process with no restrictions whatsoever.

“This is an absolutely historic day for American money; after years of fighting and struggling, our government has finally declared that U.S. cash, irrespective of amount, can no longer be barred from the American electoral system,” said University of Pennsylvania historian Dr. James Mattis, who argued that, while the goal took decades to achieve and at points appeared bleak—particularly during the repressive McCain-Feingold years—few could deny that suffrage for all U.S. capital was inevitable. “This has been a long time coming, and we can now say with certainty that the fight to ensure that every single American dollar has a say in our government is finally over. Now, at long last, all U.S. money has a voice in Washington—a strong, loud, clear voice that can no longer be suppressed or silenced by anyone.”

Moar.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/us-currency-finally-achieves-universal-suffrage,35702/

House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) says in a new interview that it would be too costly for Republicans to reinstate some of the more popular provisions of Obamacare if and when the law is repealed, but that Republicans should look for alternatives.

The former GOP vice presidential nominee was asked on Bloomberg's "Political Capital with Al Hunt" about whether Republicans would keep provisions like requiring coverage for pre-existing conditions, keeping kids on their parents' insurance until they are 26 years old and barring insurance companies from having different rates for those whose jobs include physical labor.

The first two provisions are among the most popular parts of Obamacare, which as a whole is not popular. But Ryan says such provisions would also drive up the cost of insurance too much.

"If you look at these kinds of reforms, where they've been tried before — say the state of Kentucky, for example — you basically make it impossible to underwrite insurance," Ryan said, according to an advance transcript. "You dramatically crank up the cost. And you make it hard for people to get affordable health care."

Ryan added that Congress should look at different and more cost-effective ways to accomplish the same kinds of goals.

"I think there are better ideas and better reforms for getting at these very serious issues without these kinds of things that needlessly jeopardize the health care for people," Ryan said.

Asked specifically about the provision prohibiting different rates for those engaged in physical labor, Ryan said he would definitely address it.

"Yes, and I think there are better ways of dealing with those very serious and legitimate issues without doing it this way, because I think this is the wrong approach."

Polls show that a strong majority of Americans support things like guaranteeing coverage for pre-existing conditions. Democrats have made the GOP's move to repeal the entire Affordable Care Act — including the popular portions — a centerpiece of their 2014 election strategy.

Ryan's full interview with Hunt will air Friday at 9 p.m.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...amacare-too-costly-to-reinstate-after-repeal/

Have I mentioned how much I loathe this man? Seriously, he is the worst person in Washington.

that-stupid-drudge-siren-lol.gif

Grand Jury in Bridgegate
that-stupid-drudge-siren-lol.gif

The grand jury, which will meet for up to the next 18 months, has the power to indict, subpoena and interview witnesses without their attorney's present.
The grand jury is composed of residents from northern New Jersey who will come in every Friday or every other Friday. Grand juries typically last about 18 months, but can be extended. The grand jurors sit in closed door meeting listening to the prosecutors question witnesses, who must respond under the wide ranging subpoena authority of the grand jury.

The final decision on whether or not to indict or file charges against Governor Christie or anyone in his office comes from the decision of the grand jury.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...amacare-too-costly-to-reinstate-after-repeal/

Have I mentioned how much I loathe this man? Seriously, he is the worst person in Washington.

Interesting, that puts him in opposition to his own party. Most republicans claim their own (imaginary) plan will cover pre-existing conditions with high risk pools. Which is a terrible idea, needless to say. The ACA had per-existing pools before the exchanges went online, and they were pretty damn expensive. It's a cop out, idiotic answer - especially when the solution is not only staring you in the face, but is a conservative idea. Spreading costs on an insurance exchange should be a pretty popular idea on the right; let people buy across state lines and you're good to go (from a conservative perspective, not my own). It just doesn't make sense, outside of "because Obama."

from the same interview:
House Budget Chair Paul Ryan (R-WI) says Republicans can still repeal Obamacare.

He was asked on Bloomberg TV's "Political Capital With Al Hunt" about the impracticality of fully repealing Obamacare now that more than 7 million people have signed up on the insurance marketplaces, and more are benefiting from other provisions.

"I'd question the premise of that entire argument. No, I don't know that [we can't repeal it]," Ryan said in the interview, which is set to air Friday night. "So this whole thing that, oh, we have 7.1 million people, which, by the way, we won't even get into the legitimacy of that statistic. So we have -- let's just take it for argument. Seven million people on Obamacare; there's no way you can change it. It's just going to have to learn to live with it. I don't buy that for a second."

Ryan, asked if the next president will repeal Obamacare, said he doesn't think the law "can last" and posited that "the architecture of this law is so fundamentally flawed that I think it's going to collapse under its own weight."
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/paul-ryan-we-can-still-repeal-obamacare

As Beutler and others have pointed out, the risk of the law imploding on itself is over. There are still kinks, and I suspect the employer mandate will get axed, but the overall bill isn't going anywhere.

Remember in 2007 when every major democrat candidate released a comprehensive, detailed proposal for universal healthcare? I'd be money that none of the GOP candidates will do anything like that in 2015/2016. Jindal has a list of bullet points but nothing major.

Another reason I don't like TPM anymore
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/ronan-farrow-msnbc-koch-brothers

The "laugh at Farrow" has been in full effect in a variety of places, but it seems even more ridiculous here considering TPM is guilty of the exact same thing they're laughing at Farrow for. TPM has had multiple Koch stories lately, just as they had multiple Christie stories.
I don't see what is wrong about talking about the Koch Brothers. If they want to pour massive amounts of money into political issues and campaigns then they are open game. Especially when they write Op-Ed pieces. You don't get to try to push views but then cry when people question your motives, hypocrisy, and vested interests.

Crisco

Banned
Interesting, that puts him in opposition to his own party. Most republicans claim their own (imaginary) plan will cover pre-existing conditions with high risk pools. Which is a terrible idea, needless to say. The ACA had per-existing pools before the exchanges went online, and they were pretty damn expensive. It's a cop out, idiotic answer - especially when the solution is not only staring you in the face, but is a conservative idea. Spreading costs on an insurance exchange should be a pretty popular idea on the right; let people buy across state lines and you're good to go (from a conservative perspective, not my own). It just doesn't make sense, outside of "because Obama."

Yup, the only thing that matters now is completely erasing the law from existence, especially now that their once mocking name "Obamacare" has been proudly adopted by supporters of the law. They are completely fucked though, it's never going to happen now. I mean, how many election cycles can they keep losing on this message? I seriously think the polls are going to start turning around if the law continues rolling out smoothly and the GOP keeps this same extremist messaging. Eventually people will want to see some adults in the room.

gcubed

Yup, the only thing that matters now is completely erasing the law from existence, especially now that their once mocking name "Obamacare" has been proudly adopted by supporters of the law. They are completely fucked though, it's never going to happen now. I mean, how many election cycles can they keep losing on this message? I seriously think the polls are going to start turning around if the law continues rolling out smoothly and the GOP keeps this same extremist messaging. Eventually people will want to see some adults in the room.

the law will hit its inflection point for the next insurance period. If the premiums don't raise significantly it will be a big win

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Haha, this dude is awesome:

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/bevin-falls-ditch-keeps-digging

- teabagger challenger to Mitch McConnell attends an event that's trying to promote the idea of legalizing cockfighting.
- tea bagger claims that he thought it was a "states' rights" rally.
- The event organizers claim the event's sole purpose was to promote cockfighting.
- Teabagger eventually decides that the best course of action is to admit he supports the idea of cockfighting.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/04/stephen-colbert-david-letterman-cbs_n_5093513.html

Thoughts on Colbert taking over the Late Show? If he does I hope they don't neuter his comedic talents.

No way he does it. Stewart won't do it either. They both have creative freedom and a steady, and sizable, paycheck at Comedy Central. CBS wouldn't be able to offer them the same freedom in that time slot that they currently enjoy, it's the same reason Craig Ferguson said he won't do it.

No one has any idea who is taking over for Letterman, hence all the articles speculating about who will do it. The media is just pulling names out of their asses right now.

My dad felt the need to inform me of this poll: http://www.washingtonpost.com/page/.../30/National-Politics/Polling/release_305.xml

Its a poll of veterans and who they prefer: Bush Jr or Obama.

The poll leans towards Bush Jr...I do have some major concerns on the sample size, though (819). I haven't looked at the broken down stats yet, and the site that stepped me to this poll (http://www.inquisitr.com) I don't know anything about, so I'll reserve final judgement until I can go over everything.

For now, I'm just pointing it out.

benjipwns

Banned
Just anecdotal, but most military people I know loved W. Bush despite the wars and are iffy at best on Obama. But I think it's just a part of the trope of Republicans = tough on defense, Democrats = hippie surrender monkeys. They felt the same way under Clinton, talking about all the "defense cuts" that weren't really happening just like now.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Just anecdotal, but most military people I know loved W. Bush despite the wars and are iffy at best on Obama. But I think it's just a part of the trope of Republicans = tough on defense, Democrats = hippie surrender monkeys. They felt the same way under Clinton, talking about all the "defense cuts" that weren't really happening just like now.
You would think military personnel would lean towards the party that is less likely to send them and all their friends to die.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/04/stephen-colbert-david-letterman-cbs_n_5093513.html

Thoughts on Colbert taking over the Late Show? If he does I hope they don't neuter his comedic talents.
I can see it working. I think he'd keep the character for bits. But Colbert is a great showman. Its all under Viacom so I think they'd be sure they have something to fill the spot. To be honest I think Samantha Bee and her husband could do a great show. They kinda play the closest equivalent of the daily show Colbert.

benjipwns

Banned
The problem with Colbert and his character for the Late Show is who watches the Late Show. I wonder how young CBS wants to shift. And it goes up against the current Colbert slot.

Plus does he want to switch to the Late Night Network format? It's a really different beast (pushing celeb projects/dumb chit-chat/LCD sketches) from the CC hour even if they have things in common.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
My dad felt the need to inform me of this poll: http://www.washingtonpost.com/page/.../30/National-Politics/Polling/release_305.xml

Its a poll of veterans and who they prefer: Bush Jr or Obama.

The poll leans towards Bush Jr...I do have some major concerns on the sample size, though (819). I haven't looked at the broken down stats yet, and the site that stepped me to this poll (http://www.inquisitr.com) I don't know anything about, so I'll reserve final judgement until I can go over everything.

For now, I'm just pointing it out.

Unfortunately those numbers sound about right. I remember reading a poll a while back that said the military supports Republicans over Democrats on a 60% vs. 40% basis (roughly) and that seems to match pretty well.

I honestly thought that might change just a little, since I remember hearing in 2008 that more overseas soldiers donated to Obama than McCain by as much as SIX times.

Ah well.

benjipwns

Banned
I honestly thought that might change just a little, since I remember hearing in 2008 that more overseas soldiers donated to Obama than McCain by as much as SIX times.
Well, only one of the two guys was fifth from the bottom of his class but used family ties to gain superior positions and then crashed planes by the bucketload before lucking himself into a Vietnamese prison camp.

And was also the only one caught singing "Bomb bomb bomb bomb Iran" and suggesting he wanted to go to war with Russia.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Mashable notes that if Colbert were to take over Letterman's -- or any late night show on a network -- that he would change his schtick. He would have to drop the conservative persona that recently landed him in hot water (#CancelColbert, anybody?).

Sigh. #CancelColbert had nothing to do with misunderstanding satire. It was just saying that he took his satire too far for not a good enough reason. Basically the Redskin name is going to stand either way, so even satirically attacking people who have been abused with Asian stereotypes really does more harm than good.

That segment in particular just wasn't funny, only offensive, which is certainly a valid form of satire dating back to Modest Proposal, but Colbert has always gone for funny satire, not offensive, which makes the segment feel too much like he's more hiding behind the shield of satire to do racist jokes, as opposed to using satire to make a point.

That 100% does not mean Colbert or his writers are racist, just that maybe they fell into the same trap most comedians fall into from time to time, and just wrote something that will get a reaction without checking themselves to see if they are taking it too far.

I watch Colbert nearly every night he's on and will continue to without question, but it's annoying to see those criticisms be treated as if they were made by people who just don't "get" comedy. Colbert will be fine keeping his conservative persona as long as he doesn't lean so incredibly heavily into the racist side of it.

Most service members are conservative, that poll isn't surprising. They loved Bush.

I'm disappointed Obama hasn't tried to address the VA claims backlog, it seems like such an obvious thing to do (for every president, yet it never gets done). One of the baffling things about Obama's presidency is the inability to make government work on so many levels. The healthcare.gov website fuck up can largely be blamed on an archaic IT and contract system that guarantees waste and inefficiency. You would think that people intent on showing the benefit of government would focus on fixing shit like that.

Polling back then was much more volatile:
http://media.gallup.com/ELECTION2004/electionHistory_1980_1.gif

The best example coming the election before, check out Carter's lead in the summer:
http://media.gallup.com/ELECTION2004/electionHistory_1976_1.gif

Also, as noted, the 1980 campaigns SOLE debate was October 29th.

Yeah, I double-checked with Gallup's interactive poll history. In the poll released on October 27th (2 days before the debate), Carter had a fairly comfortable 45-39 lead over Reagan. The November 2nd poll suddenly had Reagan leading 46-43. The debate certainly had a major effect on the election, since Reagan performed far better than Carter in it (Not a coincidence, of course). Perhaps it served as a multiplier of the two other forces working against Carter at the time: 1) The left wing turning on him so viciously, especially Kennedy. 2) Reagan going all-in on the Southern Strategy (The "States Rights"/"Federal Overreach" speech, and support from Evangelists).

These two forces were still notable, because in the 1976 election, Carter's two main support bases were in the South, and to a lesser extent, New England. The former would have eroded Carter's support in NE, while the latter chipped away at Carter's southern base. The debate was icing on the cake, as it suddenly gave anyone who was on-the-fence or only leaning towards Carter a reason to vote against him (questioning his competence, outlook, etc.). That's probably why the South and NE had some of the closest contests in the 1980 election.

Sigh. #CancelColbert had nothing to do with misunderstanding satire. It was just saying that he took his satire too far for not a good enough reason. Basically the Redskin name is going to stand either way, so even satirically attacking people who have been abused with Asian stereotypes really does more harm than good.

That segment in particular just wasn't funny, only offensive, which is certainly a valid form of satire dating back to Modest Proposal, but Colbert has always gone for funny satire, not offensive, which makes the segment feel too much like he's more hiding behind the shield of satire to do racist jokes, as opposed to using satire to make a point.

That 100% does not mean Colbert or his writers are racist, just that maybe they fell into the same trap most comedians fall into from time to time, and just wrote something that will get a reaction without checking themselves to see if they are taking it too far.

I watch Colbert nearly every night he's on and will continue to without question, but it's annoying to see those criticisms be treated as if they were made by people who just don't "get" comedy. Colbert will be fine keeping his conservative persona as long as he doesn't lean so incredibly heavily into the racist side of it.

No, it was about misunderstanding satire. It was made pretty clear that the target was the Redskins. And I'm not sure why you get to decide that it wasn't funny. But anyway the dedicated thread for this does a good job of going over what actually happened.

Often times there is a split between Officers (more conservative) and enlisted (a mix).

But to some degree, the fact that military people skew for conservatives that support big defense budgets is little different than poor people supporting Democrats that support social programs. At least the social programs are much cheaper.

AntoneM

Most service members are conservative, that poll isn't surprising. They loved Bush.

I'm disappointed Obama hasn't tried to address the VA claims backlog, it seems like such an obvious thing to do (for every president, yet it never gets done). One of the baffling things about Obama's presidency is the inability to make government work on so many levels. The healthcare.gov website fuck up can largely be blamed on an archaic IT and contract system that guarantees waste and inefficiency. You would think that people intent on showing the benefit of government would focus on fixing shit like that.
The VA backlog is down by 40% and dropping despite historic highs in claims filed. No need to address it anymore as it's resolving already.

I can see it working. I think he'd keep the character for bits. But Colbert is a great showman. Its all under Viacom so I think they'd be sure they have something to fill the spot. To be honest I think Samantha Bee and her husband could do a great show. They kinda play the closest equivalent of the daily show Colbert.

Viacom doesn't own CBS anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom