• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Averon

Ginsberg will probably get replaced before Scalia or Thomas. Scalia likes the platform the SC gives him to troll and be an ass too much to voluntarily step down.

Jesus fuck. NPR news just had a segment on the West explosion at the ferilizer plant. No springler systems were present, and when asked if there was a possibilty of passing a law requiring them, A republican representative said "Maybe. It depends".

Fucking Texas and their lack of even the most basic of safety regulations.
If the government hadn't imposed such heavy taxes and regulation on businesses they would be able to self regulate and prevent this.

Am I doing this right?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
North Carolina wouldn't matter, the legislature draws the maps. We had a Dem governor in NC after 2010.

Well in cases like that, 2020 is still important for the election of those legislatures.

Ironically that decision was made by the Democrats who thought McCrory would win in 2008 and wanted to still be able to draw the maps.

Anyway as for nonpartisan maps i think it's a nonstarter. The Republicans certainly won't surrender the ability to gerrymander states they have a trifecta in, Democrats would be fighting with one hand behind their back to enact something like that in Illinois. Ideally yes every state would have this but that would be like when Feingold restricted spending in 2010 after getting pummeled by ads.

I wonder if the federal government can do something about it. Maybe something could get done there between Republicans seeing a losing battle in the upcoming 2020 gerrymander war and Democrat voters pushing for reason. Or maybe the supreme court could find someway to say that the definitive justifiable test of gerrymandering is how partisan and exclusionary the process was in the district's creation itself.

With the result of 2010 being so lopsided and successful, I can only imagine people from both sides of the state level are ready to go as extreme as they possibly can next time, which even if they come out even, is terrible for democracy with so many congresspeople having safe incontestable seats.

Well in cases like that, 2020 is still important for the election of those legislatures.
Sure - but in North Carolina's case, the legislature is so wickedly gerrymandered that I think it'd take a court intervention to get those maps thrown out.

I wonder if the federal government can do something about it. Maybe something could get done there between Republicans seeing a losing battle in the upcoming 2020 gerrymander war and Democrat voters pushing for reason. Or maybe the supreme court could find someway to say that the definitive justifiable test of gerrymandering is how partisan and exclusionary the process was in the district's creation itself.

With the result of 2010 being so lopsided and successful, I can only imagine people from both sides of the state level are ready to go as extreme as they possibly can next time, which even if they come out even, is terrible for democracy with so many congresspeople having safe incontestable seats.
If Democrats win the House back in 2014 (lol) I'd want to see Obama push a big voting rights bill. One that would restore the VRA but also set some federal standards for things like early voting, voter ID, redistricting, etc. Red states would sue the shit out of it but I think it's time to deal with this.

Another day another Republican governor scandal

DES MOINES, Iowa – Democrats are scrambling to weigh in after published reports that Gov. Terry Branstad’s administration entered six secret settlement agreements to pay off state workers who lost their jobs because of their political affiliation.

Branstad’s office has denied any knowledge of the payments, but that is unlikely to stop the criticism because it is an election year and Democrats are seeking to make the case that Branstad has simply been in office too long.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

What the shit?

If Democrats win the House back in 2014 (lol) I'd want to see Obama push a big voting rights bill. One that would restore the VRA but also set some federal standards for things like early voting, voter ID, redistricting, etc. Red states would sue the shit out of it but I think it's time to deal with this.

That's the things dreams are made of.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Federal overrides...they just can't push it higher at the state level like California, Oregon, ect do...and God forbid if the federal minimum ever goes away. Oklahoma would be screwed (even more then other states).

Well, that's good to know.

Gotta love Republicans always looking after the little guy.

Oblivion

So....anyone wanna recommend me a free tax filling website?

For no apparent reason, of course.

SmokeMaxX

Just saw a friend from high school post this on Facebook:
Thank god for this Obama care right now. Since I really need it.. I don't care for it or even agree with it but right now it's saving my Ass...thank god I go to the dentist tomorrow my wisdom teeth are grew in side ways and it's killing me ughhh
I guess that's a win?

Oblivion

Can Obama send military members down to quell stuff like that little rebellion by that idiot rancher?

I'd love to see conservatives suddenly start attacking our beloved troops as Obama's jack booted thugs.

Wtf is with this Bundy thing? A man mooches off the Federal government for years....so he is a hero. Wait...what?
He fails to recognize the existence and authority of the US government. Naturally, all the idiots with the Don't tread on Me flags showed up with loaded weapons to fight the gubbamint.

Cheat the system on a welfare check? You're a terrible person.

Cheat the system out of a million dollars? You're an American hero.

This guy is setting a dangerous precedent. If you have a bunch of friends with guns, you can pick and choose which laws you wish to follow.

People are stuck in this odd mentality that taking up arms against your government is patriotic and not treasonous.

Wilsongt

Fox News just doesn't even care anymore. They're being against anything good news for Obama now just for the hell of it.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2014/04/14/a-tale-of-two-reports-fox-doesnt-trust-cbo-on-o/198887

Fox News attempted to discredit a Congressional Budget Office report that estimated lower costs for the Affordable Care Act, while it also embraced a dubious survey claiming that health care premiums are skyrocketing.

On the April 14 edition of Fox News' Your World, host Neil Cavuto brought on Fox contributor and serial health care misinformer Betsy McCaughey in order to baselessly attack the CBO's latest projections, which show that the ACA will cost $104 billion less over 10 years than previously projected and that premiums for the most popular plans under ACA are expected to rise only "slightly" for 2015. McCaughey unleashed a series of already debunked lies about the health care law. After Cavuto called the CBO's savings estimates "deceiving," Mccaughey agreed and denied there would be any savings,asserting that it is actually "a cost-shifting":

kehs

Banned
faeece591963209b42da00aec89e8186.jpg

Looking at congressional districts cook ratings in swing states I'm actually much more optimistic about the next redistricting. The republicans ran the tables but it seemingly pretty hard for them to get such a demographic advantage as to lock in a majority when demographics take over, even with people cramming into cities, its hard for them to draw enough districts that can withstand large wave elections. This is probably the upper level of how they can push the map in most places. You crack a few of their suburban districts and put in some urban dwellers and the whole thing changes.

Barring major ideological changes and partisan shifts (which is a real possibility) I really do think well start to see 50-60s style democratic majorities in the range of 40-50 in the next decade (2020s).

Edit: ok maybe not 88th style majorities but still

He fails to recognize the existence and authority of the US government. Naturally, all the idiots with the Don't tread on Me flags showed up with loaded weapons to fight the gubbamint.

Cheat the system on a welfare check? You're a terrible person.

Cheat the system out of a million dollars? You're an American hero.

This guy is setting a dangerous precedent. If you have a bunch of friends with guns, you can pick and choose which laws you wish to follow.

People are stuck in this odd mentality that taking up arms against your government is patriotic and not treasonous.
He won't get away with it, the Feds will be back and prepared for confrontation. I hate that Harry Reid said as much, I'd prefer if politicians stayed out of this because it could get very ugly.

Let's be real: conservatives have longed for a Waco under Obama since 2009 and they might get their wish. Any republican who fans the flames should be accused of incitement, period. It's time for Obama to call them out, this is dangerous.

You wanna know how much these guys were standing up to tyranny?

They were gonna let their wifes and girlfriends as human shields:
We were actually strategizing to put all the women up at the front. If they are going to start shooting, it’s going to be women that are going to be televised all across the world getting shot by these rogue federal officers.
Scum. These people should be behind bars for threatening government officials life. How is this different than people who threaten the lives of US judges? This is a crime:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threatening_the_government_officials_of_the_United_States

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/20...violence-erupted-in-ranch-showdown-with-feds/

Scum. These people should be behind bars for threatening government officials life. How is this different than people who threaten the lives of US judges? This is a crime:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threatening_the_government_officials_of_the_United_States

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/20...violence-erupted-in-ranch-showdown-with-feds/

Holy fuck....the lengths at which to attempt to make Obama look like a villain. Holy fucking shit dude.

KingGondo

Banned
Pisses me off beyond belief. Fallin is a cancer on this state.

All about local control until it remotely hurts business interests.

There's another bill under consideration that would make it illegal for cities to maintain a registry of vacant and blighted property, since the slum lords and realtor associations would have to pay for inspections (and possible repairs).

Really sucks, since we actually have an extremely pragmatic and progressive (for Oklahoma) local government.

Averon

He's a white guy with guns?

Well, yeah. I just want someone to go up to one of Bundy's cheerleaders and ask them what's the difference between Bundy and a 'welfare queen'. I want to see what mental gymnastics they perform to rationalize why Bundy isn't the very moocher they endlessly bitch about.

Well, yeah. I just want someone to go up to one of Bundy's cheerleaders and ask them what's the difference between Bundy and a 'welfare queen'. I want to see what mental gymnastics they perform to rationalize why Bundy isn't a moocher.

I don't care about that aspect of it. I have a problem with the blatant disobeying of the law. The real hypocrisy is that they blast Obama and democrats for ignoring the law but have no problem with their guys doing it.

The framing about him being a moocher continues to framing that 1. welfare is bad and 2. It costs taxpayers money. This is why we're constantly playing defense. The response shouldn't be to project, it should be to attack their positions to advocate ours.

The reason why there is a fee is to disincentive his use of the land

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Holy fuck

Emperor Obama needs to bring back treason charges in a big way. Start picking up these looney toons characters that pretend that laws don't apply to them. These mofos want to act like they're in an unofficial civil war, then start treating them like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom