• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.
"As soon as they raise their hand and say, 'I'm unlawfully present in the United States,' we're not going take your oath into the military, but we're going to take your deposition and we have a bus for you to Tijuana,"

#newGOP

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/03/steve-king-dreamers_n_5086143.html

Ha, gave a speech about this dude a few weeks ago. Total badass.
Why are you giving speeches praising known communists, Cyan? Are you loyal to your country?

More bad news for Mark Pryor:

Mark Pryor (D-inc) 48
Tom Cotton (R) 45
It's mentioned that the undecideds are heavily African-American (if undecided AAs broke for Pryor as they have in previous elections, his total would be 49%) and women (who Pryor is currently leading with).

Oh, right, doomed.

I had put Arkansas as Lean R mentally for a while now but it's good to see Pryor back in the lead, even if he'll have to fight to keep it. But if everything goes well Democrats might only lose a net of 1 Senate seat.

BlMQtYeCEAAoOl7.jpg:large

What a damn train-wreck this law is.

AndyD

aka andydumi
It's certainly not dealing with overpopulation, that's for sure.

That's a good one.

That said, it's easy to see how by 2016 these types of numbers, even if close, will make the law set in stone.

If you come into the 2016 elections and you can say "20 million people and 1 in 10 seniors will lose their insurance if ACA is repealed as my opponent wants" that is a demolishing argument against any anti-ACA as a whole stance. Any opposition will have to provide for solid alternatives.

Chichikov

BlMQtYeCEAAoOl7.jpg:large

What a damn train-wreck this law is.
I'm not a huge fan of the ACA and I do believe that even 89% percent coverage is fucking shameful for a developed country, but still, you can't deny that this is a pretty big step in the right direction and it helps a fuckton of people.
Now let's get a single payer trojan horse public option in there.

Crisco

Banned
Do those insured numbers assume the Medicaid expansion is eventually accepted by all states or is it irrespective of that?

http://dailycaller.com/2014/04/14/obama-goofs-facts-on-jesus-christ-resurrection/
President Obama falsely claimed that Jesus Christ died more than 2,000 years ago.

Obama said at an Easter Prayer Breakfast Monday that “we celebrate the glory of the Resurrection — all so that we might be forgiven of our sins and granted everlasting life. And more than 2,000 years later, it inspires us still.”

Scholars generally agree that Jesus, who lived to about his thirties, died on the cross between 30-36 AD. For Obama’s statement that the Resurrection occurred “more than 2,000 years ago” to be true, Jesus would have had to have died and been resurrected in 13 AD or earlier.

Some Christian Obama is!

Christians have been saying Jesus died 2,000 years ago for ages. Gee I wonder why it has suddenly come under question by conservatives.
Well, the speechwriter screwed up with the "more than" part. "2000 years" is a decent approximation but 'more than 2000' adds additional information that is wrong.

My main concern is keeping the panels clean.
Yep. But I do think there are some practical applications for it. Well, I guess we have lots of street signs that run on solar and batteries already.

Every time I read about Thorium I wonder why can't we be using that as part of our infrastructure. We actually had the option to start developing the technology decades ago, but we passed on it because the byproducts weren't as useful to weapon development as our standard nuclear power.

Fuck us.
There is much hype about Thorium. But the fact is that there is no commercial Thorium reactor running so this is all very theoretical. There could be some unforeseen issues. But someone should go ahead and build one! I'm not sure why it hasn't happened. Can't Bill Gates fund such a project? Or the DoE? Or maybe they know something that all the internet thorium fans don't know?

I watched her for the first time yesterday.
Her show was awesome. It's good to see some diverse panels for a change, too.

In a weird way, I almost get depressed when I watch MHP's show, because that's what Meet the Press could be, only replace a panelist with a white conservative, instead of what we get now, which is a never ending panel of John McCain, Lindsay Graham, a red state Democrat, and Chuck Schumer if we're lucky.

Well, the speechwriter screwed up with the "more than" part. "2000 years" is a decent approximation but 'more than 2000' adds additional information that is wrong.

I've heard countless Christians and religious figures use the exact same language. Dunno if you're trolling though.

I've heard countless Christians and religious figures use the exact same language. Dunno if you're trolling though.
Well then those others were wrong too. I'm not trolling . . . it is an incorrect statement. But it is pretty damn nit-picky and as you point out, many others have said the same (incorrect) statement.

Is the Turtle-man really gonna lose?

Mitch McConnell: While McConnell is expected to easily fend off a primary challenge from Tea Party favorite Matt Bevin, it will be a much rockier road for the 71-year-old leader in the general election against Alison Lundergan Grimes, the Democratic secretary of state. Lundergan Grimes, held an early 46 percent to 42 percent lead over McConnell in a Feb. 7 SurveyUSA poll conducted by the Courier-Journal and WHAS-TV in Louisville. A Rasmussen poll a few days earlier showed the two in a virtual deadlock.

Lundergan Grimes, 35, is the daughter of former Kentucky Democratic chairman and state representative Jerry Lundergan and the political protégé of former Democratic President Bill Clinton. Late last month, Clinton made his first 2014 campaign stop in Kentucky and helped Lundergan Grimes raise more than $600,000 at a downtown Louisville luncheon. While McConnell appears positioned to easily win the Republican primary, he'll be in the fight of his political life to win a sixth term as Kentucky's senior senator.

Lundergan Grimes’s lead is slender and could vanish as McConnell’s campaign turns up the heat. But McConnell has an added problem of surmounting an extraordinarily low approval rating among Kentucky voters. Only 32 percent approve of McConnell, which is lower than even President Obama’s 34 percent rating in the Blue Grass State.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/gop-mutiny-could-unseat-boehner-184400965.html

That would be amazing. Kentucky. I mean . . . Kentucky!

I think you have to take into account a big part of McConnell's low approval rating are Tea Partiers who hate him for being a filthy RINO but would still vote Republican no matter what in November.

I think you have to take into account a big part of McConnell's low approval rating are Tea Partiers who hate him for being a filthy RINO but would still vote Republican no matter what in November.
I agree that his low approval rating is misleading. But rifle-shooting lady Grimes seems have some pull . . . and if she wins enough of the lady-folk . . . well, she may pull it off. The success of Obamacare in Kentucky is probably helping.

That surveyusa poll is a bit old though. There was a recent one from PPP that had Grimes leading by 1, I believe.

I think a lot of analysts were bearish on Grimes' chances because these polls don't mean much this far out, but it's starting to reach the point where McConnell should be pulling away. Instead Grimes is beating him or tying him in most polls and he can't break out. If this were an open seat race (like Georgia) I'd be more inclined to call it leaning Republican but I think Grimes might have the tiniest advantage - certainly no guarantee that she'll win and could very well change but I really think it'll stay this close.

As long as the incumbents can hold on (Pryor, Begich, and Landrieu are looking good - Hagan's in a bit of trouble and Walsh is a question mark) and Nunn and Grimes have a legitimate chance, the Senate elections could end up pretty good for the Democrats. It's all about shoring up for 2016 - imagine Democrats breaking even or only losing a couple seats this year and then winning 6-8 seats in two years.

I'm gonna shoot for the moon and predict a 12 seat gain in the Senate and a 40 seat gain in the House in 2016.
Would be nice.

This far out? I'll say 7 Senate seats... House elections depend on this year's. I think if Hillary runs though her coattails will bring Democrats into the majority.

Wilsongt

Jesus fuck. NPR news just had a segment on the West explosion at the ferilizer plant. No springler systems were present, and when asked if there was a possibilty of passing a law requiring them, A republican representative said "Maybe. It depends".

Fucking Texas and their lack of even the most basic of safety regulations.

ivysaur12

Banned
Even if the Dems lose a seat in the Senate (which I think is realistic, though might not happen), then there are 12 realistic seats in play in 2016. The GOP nominates a poor candidate and Hil Dawg does what Hil Dawg does, you could have a 60+ seat majority in the Senate and a slimmer, but existence, majority in the House.

That's insane.

Wilsongt

Even if the Dems lose a seat in the Senate (which I think is realistic, though might not happen), then there are 12 realistic seats in play in 2016. The GOP nominates a poor candidate and Hil Dawg does what Hil Dawg does, you could have a 60+ seat majority in the Senate and a slimmer, but existence, majority in the House.

That's insane.

Well, as of right now, all GOP choices are shitty. The gop is handing the white house to Hildawg on a silver platter.

That's insane.
As long as 2018 isn't a bad midterm for Democrats, things should be okay.

Why 2018? If 2014 is good for gubernatorial elections, Democrats can at least expect to pick up Florida, Michigan, and Pennsylvania, as well as possibly Ohio and Wisconsin (There are others of course, but these states would be the most important). The Democrats would have incumbency advantage, and if they held on for a second term in 2018, they'd have a hand in redrawing the maps after the 2020 census. Similarly, Walker and Kasich (who I think are favored to win re-election but could still be bumped off this year) would be on their way out, creating an opportunity for Democratic candidates in an open seat. Democratic victories would force neutral maps in big swing states and that would go a long way to having a durable House majority - right now Democrats would have to completely run the table just for a small one.

Other states where Democrats can get better maps: New Jersey (Christie appointed a tiebreaker to their commission, producing a slight GOP-leaning map), New York (fuck Cuomo and the Republican minority that controls the Senate with the help of some turncoat Democrats), Texas (if it's ready for a Dem governor in 2018), Georgia (ditto - maybe even this year!), Virginia (let's hope they'll stay a Lean D state for a while).

Obviously this shit's all a long ways off but that's the game, I guess.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
There is much hype about Thorium. But the fact is that there is no commercial Thorium reactor running so this is all very theoretical. There could be some unforeseen issues. But someone should go ahead and build one! I'm not sure why it hasn't happened. Can't Bill Gates fund such a project? Or the DoE? Or maybe they know something that all the internet thorium fans don't know?
Much of it has to do with everything being geared towards the way we've been doing things since the 1950's and American nuclear energy having close ties to nuclear weapons manufacturing. Retrofitting is non-trivial. Basically, our version of nuclear power is high on death, but it doesn't need to be that way.

benjipwns

Banned
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/shoe-truthers-hillary-clinton
"So it would not be stretching logic to suppose that Hillary arranged to have the shoe thrown at her," wrote Arthur Louis at Goldberg's site. "Remembering the Bush incident [when an Iraqi journalist threw two shoes at President George W. Bush], she may have calculated that this would make her seem presidential. This would explain why Ms. Ernst was not pounded to a pulp by Hillary's bodyguards, and why she seems on the verge of getting off scot free. Don’t be too surprised, the next time you visit Phoenix, if you see her sitting at a table in a downtown Hillary for President store front, stuffing and sealing envelopes."

On Monday, Rush Limbaugh entertained the same idea, telling radio listeners he "can totally relate" to those who believe that "everything the Clintons do is staged or choreographed." Asked about it by a listener, he emphasized that he hadn't studied the incident and isn't too concerned about it, but said people have told him Clinton's reaction "wasn't natural."

"I'm sorry, I'm ill-equipped to comment," Limbaugh said, adding: "Maybe it's because, in my subconscious, I think it was staged, or set up, or whatever. ... I don't know why anybody would be throwing a shoe at Hillary unless -- maybe it's an attempt to make the Benghazi people look like nuts and lunatics and wackos."

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Why 2018? If 2014 is good for gubernatorial elections, Democrats can at least expect to pick up Florida, Michigan, and Pennsylvania, as well as possibly Ohio and Wisconsin (There are others of course, but these states would be the most important). The Democrats would have incumbency advantage, and if they held on for a second term in 2018, they'd have a hand in redrawing the maps after the 2020 census. Similarly, Walker and Kasich (who I think are favored to win re-election but could still be bumped off this year) would be on their way out, creating an opportunity for Democratic candidates in an open seat. Democratic victories would force neutral maps in big swing states and that would go a long way to having a durable House majority - right now Democrats would have to completely run the table just for a small one.

Other states where Democrats can get better maps: New Jersey (Christie appointed a tiebreaker to their commission, producing a slight GOP-leaning map), New York (fuck Cuomo and the Republican minority that controls the Senate with the help of some turncoat Democrats), Texas (if it's ready for a Dem governor in 2018), Georgia (ditto - maybe even this year!), Virginia (let's hope they'll stay a Lean D state for a while).

Census data's not released until the following year. So it's after the 2020 election that things get redrawn.

Obviously every election is important, but it seems 2018 is one of the less important ones for the democrats, unless there's a chance for a senate supermajority and/or a house majority.

Census data's not released until the following year. So it's after the 2020 election that things get redrawn.

Obviously every election is important, but it seems 2018 is one of the less important ones for the democrats, unless there's a chance for a senate supermajority and/or a house majority.
Most governors have 4 year terms though. The class elected in 2018 would still be in office after the Census and would sign new maps into law that would be used for the 2022 elections.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Most governors have 4 year terms though. The class elected in 2018 would still be in office after the Census and would sign new maps into law that would be used for the 2022 elections.

I was going to say that governors from 2020 affect it too, but I didn't know most governors are elected in midterm elections, so I guess you're right. Of the swing states, only North Carolina and Wisconsin are at risk of redistricting with the 2020 election, and Virginia in 2017.

Much of it has to do with everything being geared towards the way we've been doing things since the 1950's and American nuclear energy having close ties to nuclear weapons manufacturing. Retrofitting is non-trivial. Basically, our version of nuclear power is high on death, but it doesn't need to be that way.

Sure, that explains the current designs. But if this Thorium system is so great . . . then why hasn't anyone built it? I don't know, I have no idea how to judge its feasibility. But I'd really like it if someone gave it a serious try. A safer nuke with less proliferation risk would be great.

I guess there may be some project in India where they are trying to build one. I hope they can pull it off.

I think you're gonna see a lot of movement at the end of the decade for a new way of drawing maps. Rural voters are gonna have way to much say and I think you'll see a movement to limit that either with non-partisian districts are maybe even a move for multimember districts. Its a position dems should seriously start to move on. Its vital for democracy and a responsive congress.

Land shouldn't vote

But the governors are elected in 2018. Not the same year as they were this census. And Govs have a veto power over stupidly drawn maps. We didn't have that in Ohio, NC, Florida in 2010

Jeez, TMP continues to go to crap. I posted this article earlier in the week. Its clearly in jest and a joke. How anyone could read that and think otherwise is amazing.
"What one clearly sees in this video is that Hillary Clinton makes no effort whatsoever to actually 'dodge' the shoe," wrote Sonny Bunch at the Washington Free Beacon. "Rather, she flinches after it has gone whizzing by her head. A far more accurate headline would’ve been 'Hillary Clinton Luckily Unharmed by Her Slow Reflexes.' Typical liberal media, covering up the truth for their favored candidates. ... Whereas Hillary reacts well after the danger has passed, George W. Bush preemptively sees danger coming and positions himself to avoid it."

North Carolina wouldn't matter, the legislature draws the maps. We had a Dem governor in NC after 2010.

Ironically that decision was made by the Democrats who thought McCrory would win in 2008 and wanted to still be able to draw the maps.

Anyway as for nonpartisan maps i think it's a nonstarter. The Republicans certainly won't surrender the ability to gerrymander states they have a trifecta in, Democrats would be fighting with one hand behind their back to enact something like that in Illinois. Ideally yes every state would have this but that would be like when Feingold restricted spending in 2010 after getting pummeled by ads.

Would be nice.

This far out? I'll say 7 Senate seats... House elections depend on this year's. I think if Hillary runs though her coattails will bring Democrats into the majority.

Maybe I'll go a bit further and say the Hillary will win the biggest Democratic victory since 1964, and then pulls an LBJ on us and goes from conservative Dem to progressive hero.

ivysaur12

Banned
The best thing about Hil Dawg winning is the aging of Scalia.

I just want her to replace him with a hardcore progressive lesbian feminist.

benjipwns

Banned
I think you're gonna see a lot of movement at the end of the decade for a new way of drawing maps. Rural voters are gonna have way to much say and I think you'll see a movement to limit that either with non-partisian districts are maybe even a move for multimember districts. Its a position dems should seriously start to move on. Its vital for democracy and a responsive congress.

Land shouldn't vote.
The reality is that you can control the distribution of districts merely by where you start drawing the lines from.

And with the desire to draw majority-minority districts it's win-win for both parties.

The best thing about Hil Dawg winning is the aging of Scalia.

I just want her to replace him with a hardcore progressive lesbian feminist.

And the better thing will be that if Scalia drops off the court then Clarence Thomas will probably self-destruct like that guy in A Few Good Men when he didn't have his buddy to coach him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom