• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Republicans don't have the balls to impeach Obama because if they did, they would've already done so.

They'll grow the balls if they win an election off it while using that as basically their only issue.

But really I mostly worry about minimizing how many senate seats are lost, which are always important just because the 6 year terms are so long.

benjipwns

Banned
https://law.marquette.edu/poll/2014...ool-poll-finds-wisconsin-governors-race-tied/
While the race is tied among all registered voters, among likely voters—those who say they are absolutely certain to vote in November—Walker receives 48 percent to Burke’s 45 percent, which is inside the +/-3.5 percentage point margin of error for the poll. Among those who are both certain to vote and who say they are excited about voting, Walker receives 50 percent to Burke’s 45 percent.

Among those certain to vote and most excited about voting in November, Republicans are 29 percent, Democrats 30 percent and independents 39 percent.
But this is more interesting:
Voters were asked if they believe vote fraud affects “a few thousand votes,” “a few hundred,” “a few dozen” or “less than a dozen” votes each election in Wisconsin. In the situation of one person’s claiming to be someone else, or in-person voter impersonation, 20 percent say this happens a few thousand times or more each election, 23 percent say a few hundred times, 21 percent a few dozen times, and 26 percent say this happens less than a dozen times each election.

For absentee ballots submitted in someone else’s name, 20 percent say this happens a few thousand times, 28 percent a few hundred, 19 percent a few dozen, and 22 percent less than a dozen times in an election.

Similarly, for voting by non-citizens or non-Wisconsin residents, 20 percent say this happens a few thousand times or more, 24 percent say a few hundred times, 19 percent a few dozen times and 26 percent say it happens less than a dozen times.

As for election officials submitting false vote counts, 17 percent believe this affects a few thousand votes, 27 percent a few hundred votes, 18 percent a few dozen votes and 25 percent say it affects less than a dozen votes each election.

Across the four different types of possible vote fraud, 39 percent of respondents say at least one type of fraud affected a few thousand votes or more each election. Only 7 percent say fraud accounted for less than a dozen votes on all four types of possible fraud.

Among partisans, 54 percent of Republicans believe fraud affects a few thousand votes or more for at least one type of fraud, while 41 percent of independents and 25 percent of Democrats say so. Partisans are somewhat different in the type of fraud they perceive. Thirty-six percent of Republicans think voter impersonation, the type of fraud photo ID requirements are supposed to prevent, affects a few thousand or more votes, while just 7 percent of Democrats and 20 percent of independents agree. But on fraud by election officials reporting incorrect results, the partisan differences are less, with 16 percent of Republicans, 14 percent of Democrats, and 21 percent of independents thinking that this affects a few thousand votes or more each election.

The belief that vote fraud is substantial is related to support for a photo ID requirement for voting. Overall, 60 percent support a photo ID requirement while 36 percent oppose it, a margin that has hardly moved in more than two years of polling on the issue. Among those who think voter impersonation affects a few thousand or more votes, 86 percent support a photo ID requirement. Of those who think a few hundred votes are affected, support for photo ID falls to 74 percent. For those seeing a few dozen ballots affected, support drops to 52 percent, and among those who say voter impersonation affects less than a dozen votes, support for photo ID drops to 29 percent. This pattern is nearly identical for absentee and non-citizen fraud questions.

Also, signs of hope:
Two out of three voters, 67 percent, agree or strongly agree that “you really can’t trust the government to do the right thing.” Twenty-nine percent disagree or strongly disagree.

Eighty-two percent agree or strongly agree that “government is pretty much run by a few big interests looking out for themselves.” Seventeen percent disagree or strongly disagree.

Fully 90 percent agree or strongly agree that “government wastes a lot of money we pay in taxes.” Nine percent disagree or strongly disagree.

Wilsongt

Oh. NC is on a roll today.

First nominating climate change deniers to a panel to study sea level rise due to climate change:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=823003

And now a bill quickly moving through two separate house senates on the lifting the moratorium on fracking!

NC Senate committees pass bill that would lift fracking moratorium

Two state Senate committees on Tuesday unanimously passed legislation that would lift the state’s fracking moratorium next summer, with a key legislator expressing confidence that the measure would come before the full Senate this week.

The bill would lift the moratorium on shale gas drilling on July 1, 2015, allowing the state Department of Environment and Natural Resources to start issuing permits to energy companies for hydraulic fracturing and horizontal drilling.

Fracking supporters say the day has been a long time coming and predicted domestic energy exploration would generate thousands of jobs and millions of dollars of revenue for the state’s economy.

“North Carolina has been working on shale gas exploration for four years,” said Sen. E.S. “Buck” Newton, a Republican from Wilson. “North Carolina has missed out on a lot of opportunity.”

The Energy Modernization Act contains a number of provisions to reduce barriers to gas drilling in the state.

It shrinks the area in which drinking water will be tested before and after gas drilling, from a distance of 5,000 feet from the gas well, as current law specifies, to a proposed distance of one-half mile, a reduction by about half. Fracking advocates in the legislature said it would still be the longest testing distance in the nation and noted that the original 5,000 feet, passed last year, was an error.

“Honestly, it was lawyers trying to do math,” said Sen. Andrew Brock, a Republican from Mocksville and a fracking booster.

Molly Diggins, director of the N.C. Sierra Club, predicted the House debate next week will likely include hard questions that senators avoided Tuesday. She said one topic ripe for discussion is the bill’s criminalization of publicly disclosing fracking chemicals deemed to be trade secrets by energy companies that use the substances.

The bill treats willful disclosure of trade secrets as a Class I felony, the lowest felony level, making North Carolina the only state that considers it a felony to disclose fracking chemicals classified as trade secrets.

Womack said a strict penalty for deliberately disclosing confidential business information is justified to prevent abuses by fracking foes.

“It raises the hurdle for the environmental groups, because they will want to put pressure on public officials to release the information,” Womack said.

So does anyone see the VA scandal snowballing into something big? The VA has been a mess for a long time, and Obama had a lot of time to find a solution.

So does anyone see the VA scandal snowballing into something big? The VA has been a mess for a long time, and Obama had a lot of time to find a solution.

The problem is that it ties into a narrative that already exists about the incompetence of the administration. This is something both sides will rightfully get upset over, but the sad thing is that more than likely a sacrificial lamb will resign in a month, some minor changes will be made, and things will go back to the status quo. It's really stunning that the VA is shit decade after decade and various administrations tout increasing their funding as if that's the solution.

Remember the scandal that occurred at Walter Reed during Bush's term?

Wilsongt

Honestly, it really is something that needs to be bigger. It's a real issue, as opposed to Benghazi/IRS/insert every other faux scandal here.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Honestly, it really is something that needs to be bigger. It's a real issue, as opposed to Benghazi/IRS/insert every other faux scandal here.

Right. However it's an issue that's been around for decades and as such spreads the blame to everyone. Which means no one wants to talk about it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's going to take a HUGE effort to fix the VA. We're talking multiple presidents following a single plan. That or we start from scratch with a new organization and slowly faze out the VA.

Wilsongt

It's going to take a HUGE effort to fix the VA. We're talking multiple presidents following a single plan. That or we start from scratch with a new organization and slowly faze out the VA.

Think of all the uproar that will occur from old, white military vets who vote Republican.

Or everyone will just blame it on Obama, because that's the in thing to do.

Pretty much this. The GOP will exploit the issue for cheap political points.

But I actually don't expect this to be a massive scandal, the problem that comes with keeping the outrage levels set to 11 for whenever Obama does something wrong is that when Obama actually does fuck up it will come and go like Benghazi, IRS or whatever else the GOP is ranting about this week.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Think of all the uproar that will occur from old, white military vets who vote Republican.

The VA is one of those things that the only way it gets fixed is if we just stop caring about the politics. No matter what solution we come up with, it'll piss off someone or cost someone money.

The problem is that it ties into a narrative that already exists about the incompetence of the administration. This is something both sides will rightfully get upset over, but the sad thing is that more than likely a sacrificial lamb will resign in a month, some minor changes will be made, and things will go back to the status quo. It's really stunning that the VA is shit decade after decade and various administrations tout increasing their funding as if that's the solution.

Remember the scandal that occurred at Walter Reed during Bush's term?

"narrative"

Wilsongt

Oh Gretchen...

“I think we’re at the beginning of this process,” Rosenberg said. “There’s going to be a lot of intensity around this. The president has dispatched one of his top aides to ride herd on this. We’re going to know in the next few weeks. There’s a report being given to the president next week. [VA Secretary General Eric] Shinseki has to give another one a week later. We’re going to have a lot more data and they’ll make good and smart decisions.”

“Hopefully no one else will die while we’re waiting,” Carlson replied.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Basically the GOP will take the VA issue and do what they did with every other issue and go full partisan with it. They'll call for Obama's head while saying privatization is the only answer which will make all moderates and lefties tune out and basically makes it play out like every other obama scandal.

They could go moderate and actually try to treat the VA issue reasonably, promoting actual solutions to the problem, but republicans are all in on making government look like it can't ever do anything right, so they don't want to be involved in any solution that might lead to bipartisanship.

The annoying thing about this to me is something Jon Stewart touched on awhile ago when he interviewed Pelosi. If your argument is that the government can help people, wouldn't it make sense to focus on having a competent government that gets stuff done? Especially now when you have an obstructionist legislation: you can't make them pass bills but you can make departments more effective.

I remember 2007-2008 Obama discussing how important it would be to change the VA and vet issues because complacency has done harm for decades. Yet he gets in office and not much changes. I know Obama has said the backlog has been cut in half, but that's with respect to a specific type of claim, not the total amount of claims. There are 300k that are over 100 days in pending.

This is the type of issue that could use real reform, and there would be bipartisan support for it. Money isn't going to fix it, but increasing the work force that addresses it would help. I'd love to see guys like Jiohn McCain and Jack Reed take a shot at this, alongside some private groups. Having worked with government insurance claims I know there is no silver bullet, and government bureaucracy will never be perfect. But jeez, the least we can do is do our best. And I honestly don't think recent administrations have done that.

Piecake

Oh. NC is on a roll today.

First nominating climate change deniers to a panel to study sea level rise due to climate change:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=823003

And now a bill quickly moving through two separate house senates on the lifting the moratorium on fracking!

NC Senate committees pass bill that would lift fracking moratorium

Well, thats disturbing. People arent allowed to know what chemicals are going into the ground and water because of trade secrets? Yea, that will turn out well.

The annoying thing about this to me is something Jon Stewart touched on awhile ago when he interviewed Pelosi. If your argument is that the government can help people, wouldn't it make sense to focus on having a competent government that gets stuff done? Especially now when you have an obstructionist legislation: you can't make them pass bills but you can make departments more effective.

I remember 2007-2008 Obama discussing how important it would be to change the VA and vet issues because complacency has done harm for decades. Yet he gets in office and not much changes. I know Obama has said the backlog has been cut in half, but that's with respect to a specific type of claim, not the total amount of claims. There are 300k that are over 100 days in pending.

This is the type of issue that could use real reform, and there would be bipartisan support for it. Money isn't going to fix it, but increasing the work force that addresses it would help. I'd love to see guys like Jiohn McCain and Jack Reed take a shot at this, alongside some private groups. Having worked with government insurance claims I know there is no silver bullet, and government bureaucracy will never be perfect. But jeez, the least we can do is do our best. And I honestly don't think recent administrations have done that.

A lot of that requires government funding which comes from congress, they focused on health care and financial reform. You can only do so much administratively.

And you know there won't be bipartisan reform. Many on the right are inching to privatize many aspects of VA care not fix it. You keep pretending there's bipartisan support for many things. There's support for nothing. NOTHING. How many times do we have to go through the song and dance of the same 5 gop senators 'working with dems' but then never getting past a filibuster or walking away from it.

And it goes back to the VA does amazing work. The VA works 90% of the time, its the largest single provider of health care in the country and it does it pretty darn well. It can and will get better but anything that fails will portray the whole enterprise as busted.

AntoneM

We have to make sure that doctors working for VA and the DoD are getting well compensated plus some extra benefits, say, forgiveness of student loans after 5 years of service and during those 5 years the loans are in deferment.

There needs to be a culture change as well. The VA central office (CO) in DC sets goals for each location based on what they think that location should be able to do. Hospital administrators are afraid to say that they can't meet the goals set by the CO in DC for fear of being transferred to a different position or being passed up for advancement. So, they hide thier numbers because if they don't meet the goals CO sends the IG in and basically rips apart the hospital administration and upper managment gets fired or demoted. This happens no matter what the specific circumstances of the hospital are. CO doesn't care.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

I hear you, man. It's pretty clear the VA just needs to fund a project to make everything digital and streamlined. Not permanently increased funding, but a 3 year project to get things running efficiently again. The question is why the hell did years and years and years go by where everyone knew this needed to happen, but no one did anything about it?

And yes that interview is a perfect example. It's pretty damning to see Pelosi in that interview defect the questions and try to sweep everything under the rug instead of admitting the problem and having some proposed solution to it.

Really the most underrepresented position in politics right now is the one that admits government waste happens, but wants to fix those problems with a hammer and nail instead of a freaking flamethrower. It's such an obvious common sense position to take that shouldn't really enrage people from either side, but no one ever takes it.

I hear you, man. It's pretty clear the VA just needs to fund a project to make everything digital and streamlined. Not permanently increased funding, but a 3 year project to get things running efficiently again. The question is why the hell did years and years and years go by where everyone knew this needed to happen, but no one did anything about it?

And yes that interview is a perfect example. It's pretty damning to see Pelosi in that interview defect the questions and try to sweep everything under the rug instead of admitting the problem and having some proposed solution to it.

Really the most underrepresented position in politics right now is the one that admits government waste happens, but wants to fix those problems with a hammer and nail instead of a freaking flamethrower. It's such an obvious common sense position to take that shouldn't really enrage people from either side, but no one ever takes it.
Because these are mostly bureaucratic reforms, you want a kind of wack-mole. Its VA today, immigration tomorrow, TSA the next day, Defense contracting the next. It will never be over and it allows the GOP and right to attack the whole of government rather than focusing on specific issues which defends the vast majority that works.

There is waste and issues but its gonna take a civil service type reform rather than doing this agency by agency but you have no willing partner who only wants to extract rent from these reforms, privatizing more and more (look at defense and intelligence).

So why lose any rhetorical and political ground and shift the debate to where the GOP wants it when that doesn't fix any problems?

And the bolded is literally the Dems platform

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Because these are mostly bureaucratic reforms, you want a kind of wack-mole. Its VA today, immigration tomorrow, TSA the next day, Defense contracting the next. It will never be over and it allows the GOP and right to attack the whole of government rather than focusing on specific issues which defends the vast majority that works.

There is waste and issues but its gonna take a civil service type reform rather than doing this agency by agency but you have no willing partner who only wants to extract rent from these reforms, privatizing more and more (look at defense and intelligence).

So why lose any rhetorical and political ground and shift the debate to where the GOP wants it when that doesn't fix any problems?

But it's already the VA today, immigration tomorrow, TSA the next, defense the next. They're doing that already.

And Obama talked about the VA in interviews before he even became president. Why couldn't he have added a bunch of projects to increase government efficiency to the job bill?

And the bolded is literally the Dems platform

Which they do a terrible job at promoting.

Maybe they don't have to completely legitimize every issue as it happens, but I wish they could come up with more examples to how they saw a bureaucratic problem and fixed it in the past, or how the republicans caused a bureaucratic mess themselves when they blocked a common sense solution proposed by a democrat.

Chumly

But money is the heart of the issue. You need money and a plan. With the VA chronically understaffed and underfunded reforms without some significant dough isn't going to do much.

benjipwns

Banned
Why couldn't he have added a bunch of projects to increase government efficiency to the job bill?
Committee on Department Methods, Commission on Economy and Efficiency, Brownlow Committee, Hoover Commission, Grace Commission, National Partnership for Reinventing Government, the Project on National Security Reform.

Reinvention Laboratories!

Can you name off the top of your head any reform suggested by one of these efforts that not only was implemented but succeeded in its goals?

We have to make sure that doctors working for VA and the DoD are getting well compensated plus some extra benefits, say, forgiveness of student loans after 5 years of service and during those 5 years the loans are in deferment.

There needs to be a culture change as well. The VA central office (CO) in DC sets goals for each location based on what they think that location should be able to do. Hospital administrators are afraid to say that they can't meet the goals set by the CO in DC for fear of being transferred to a different position or being passed up for advancement. So, they hide thier numbers because if they don't meet the goals CO sends the IG in and basically rips apart the hospital administration and upper managment gets fired or demoted. This happens no matter what the specific circumstances of the hospital are. CO doesn't care.

Honestly, I think doctors should get loan forgiveness if they volunteer to staff understaffed hospitals for a period of time.

I know (at least for some) that some law schools have it so that if graduated lawyers volunteer to be public defenders that after 4 years they are absolved of their loan debt (usually it was more lucrative to just join a firm, but after 2008 average citizens weren't suing each other as much, so this actually became a valid option for some lawyers)

benjipwns

Banned
Looks like the homosexualist bullies are winning in their campaign of fear:
http://www.gallup.com/poll/169640/sex-marriage-support-reaches-new-high.aspx

y0ffodnhgeejsgoevfw40w.png

Children being harmed the most:
tbpelkodp0spw8exj7rmuw.png

benjipwns

Banned
That Wisconsin poll linked earlier actually touched on that a bit, though it's obviously limited to Wisconsin:
Opinion on same-sex marriage has been changing, and with it has come a change in the poll’s wording of a question on the subject. From 2004 through 2012, many national pollsters asked a question on same-sex unions that allowed three options: marriage, civil unions, and no legal recognition for same-sex couples. This is the form of the question the Marquette Law School Poll has used.

However, as public opinion has changed and as court rulings have evolved, the civil union option has become an increasingly unlikely policy. In this poll, we asked voters both the older three-option question and the two-option version phrased, “Do you favor or oppose allowing gays and lesbians to marry legally?”

The older item was asked early in the interview, while the new two-option item was asked some 19 questions later. With the three-option question, 49 percent support marriage, 25 percent support civil unions and 18 percent prefer no legal recognition. When offered only two options, 55 percent favor allowing marriage while 37 percent oppose marriage and 6 percent say they do not know. Of those originally favoring civil unions on the three-part question, 26 percent shift to supporting marriage on the two-option question while 65 percent say they oppose marriage and 8 percent say they don’t know.

Reparations are pointless. Just handing out money isn't going to do the best job in aiding impoverished black communities. There needs to be investment in education, better community support, and redistributing wages for low wage jobs.

benjipwns

Banned
Which Supreme Court Justice Should You Masturbate To?

You got: Sonia Sotomayor
Chip Somodevilla / Getty Images
You like it muy caliente, which is exactly why you’ve got to rub one out to Justice Sotomayor, the first Hispanic justice. Sotomayor is fiesty, and I’m not just talking about her knack for challenging authority.
I think this is actually the best possible result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom