• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Averon

Will the GOP really spend political capital attacking Obama for bringing an American solider home? What's the angle here?

How can you spin bringing an American soldier home into an attack ad?

Maledict

Will the GOP really spent political capital attacking Obama for bringing an American solider home? What the angle here?

He's weak. We don't negotiate with terrorists. It just shows he doesn't have the strength to be a real leader and make hard decisions for the good of the country etc etc.

Oh, and if you *really* want to go down the rabbit hole, I'm sure somewhere some people are raising this as cover for him to release more or his muslim terrorist brothers out to attack America again.

Unfortunately, it's incredibly easy to spin an attack on him no matter *what* he does.

Aaron

Will the GOP really spent political capital attacking Obama for bringing an American solider home? What the angle here?

Republicans only care about life before birth. After that it's 'fuck you, I've got mine.'

Joe Molotov

We didn't do things this way back in my day when Ronnie Reagan went into Iran, guns a blazin', and saved all those hostages and then Marine Todd drop-kicked the ayatollah right in the dick.

Didn't Reagan sell missiles to Iran in exchange for US hostages? lol these people. Not saying I even agree with this swap, it doesn't sound like a great idea, but let's not act like this is the worst thing of all time.

Building dat case for impeachment. That's going to be an epic backfire, assuming republicans take the senate in November.

Didn't Reagan sell missiles to Iran in exchange for US hostages? lol these people. Not saying I even agree with this swap, it doesn't sound like a great idea, but let's not act like this is the worst thing of all time.

Building dat case for impeachment. That's going to be an epic backfire, assuming republicans take the senate in November.

On that note, how likely is it for dems to maintain its majority at the moment?

On that note, how likely is it for dems to maintain its majority at the moment?

The NY Times projected they have about a 57% chance of retaining the senate, as of last month. Republicans need to win 6 to flip the senate. North Carolina, Alaska, Louisiana, Iowa, Arkansas, Montana, and West Virginia are the most competitive for republicans, with WV, Montana, and NC essentially guaranteed to go red. All democrats need to do is win one of the other three races to be safe IMO.

I don't think there are any likely dem pick ups. Georgia isn't going blue for another election cycle, and I have a feeling Kentucky is very deceiving. McConnell has a war chest and Obama is less popular than cancer in the south.

If Kay Hagan lost I don't think Poligaf would be able to recover.

Too bad there will be no Kay Hagan of 2016 since 2010 wiped out all the red state Dems for that class.

The NY Times projected they have about a 57% chance of retaining the senate, as of last month. Republicans need to win 6 to flip the senate. North Carolina, Alaska, Louisiana, Iowa, Arkansas, Montana, and West Virginia are the most competitive for republicans, with WV, Montana, and NC essentially guaranteed to go red. All democrats need to do is win one of the other three races to be safe IMO.

I don't think there are any likely dem pick ups. Georgia isn't going blue for another election cycle, and I have a feeling Kentucky is very deceiving. McConnell has a war chest and Obama is less popular than cancer in the south.
You mean two of the other four?

Wilsongt

Well, apparently Americans are not valued much compared to Israelis. They traded 1000 Palestinians for 1 Israeli soldier.

Don't sorry. Soon America will see that the life of one American won't be worth the lives of the millions and billions those five individuals from Gitmo will eventually take with their own bare hands.

Or something hyperbolic like that.

Diablos

Unsurprisingly, Fox News was making hay out of the prisoner exchanged this morning, saying that Obama was trading 5 "battle-hardened Al-Qaeda terrorists" for one soldier "that was probably a deserter anyway".
HOLY SHIT did they really say that?

They are nothing but a bunch of haters and trolls, which we've always known but this is honestly a new low. This speaks volumes to what is nearly a fact that they really don't care at all about the people they prop up to spew their propaganda, even an American soldier who was captured. You try fighting in a fucking warzone and keeping your head in check, Fox anchors/guests. Who cares if he deserted or not? If they were in a position to get him back without it escalating into a huge conflict then I'm all for it. Fox anchors can barely string two sentences together unless they are spewing the same overly rehearsed, regurgitated talking points to their viewers.

Also, I wonder if the four Americans who died in Benghazi that the network just LOVES using as an example would approve of Fox's disdain of this so-called "deserter". I guess anywhere from 4 in Benghazi to nearly 3,000 on 9/11 is your range of where one is supposed to give a damn... because 9/11 is ancient history and Benghazi is something BAD that happened on Obama's watch, so only then can Fox show sympathy towards dead or captured Americans! Obama green lights killing bin Laden? He had very little to do with it, the right-wing will tell you... except for the fact (confirmed by one of the seals interviewed on 60 minutes and in print) that they were not going to kill him until they knew that, omg, Barack Hussein Obama gave the order. A rescued solider appears with Obama on live television? He's not a solider, he's a no-good deserter who wasn't worth our taxpayer dollars in rescuing. Right.

I hope the non-Fox media, if not at least Jon Stewart et. al really hammer away at this because to me it is a new low for Fox -- which is hard to achieve these days.

We need a fairness doctrine like we need to tax the top earners at >50%. This is beyond absurd.

Joe Molotov

One of the guests they had on Fox & Friends Sunday did. I didn't quite catch the organization he was with, but it was something like the Veterans Blah Blah Blah Support the Troops Organization, which made me roll my eyes and turn it off.

Wilsongt

They are nothing but a bunch of haters and trolls, which we've always known but this is honestly a new low. This speaks volumes to what is nearly a fact that they really don't care at all about the people they prop up to spew their propaganda, even an American soldier who was captured. You try fighting in a fucking warzone and keeping your head in check, Fox anchors/guests. Who cares if he deserted or not? If they were in a position to get him back without it escalating into a huge conflict then I'm all for it. Fox anchors can barely string two sentences together unless they are spewing the same overly rehearsed, regurgitated talking points to their viewers.

Also, I wonder if the four Americans who died in Benghazi that the network just LOVES using as an example would approve of Fox's disdain of this so-called "deserter". I guess anywhere from 4 in Benghazi to nearly 3,000 on 9/11 is your range of where one is supposed to give a damn... because 9/11 is ancient history and Benghazi is something BAD that happened on Obama's watch, so only then can Fox show sympathy towards dead or captured Americans! Obama green lights killing bin Laden? He had very little to do with it, the right-wing will tell you... except for the fact (confirmed by one of the seals interviewed on 60 minutes and in print) that they were not going to kill him until they knew that, omg, Barack Hussein Obama gave the order. A rescued solider appears with Obama on live television? He's not a solider, he's a no-good deserter who wasn't worth our taxpayer dollars in rescuing. Right.

I hope the non-Fox media, if not at least Jon Stewart et. al really hammer away at this because to me it is a new low for Fox -- which is hard to achieve these days.

We need a fairness doctrine like we need to tax the top earners at >50%. This is beyond absurd.

It's Fox. They say stupid shit hourly.

That wasn't just stupid though.

Emails reported by the late Michael Hastings in Rolling Stone in 2012 reveal what Bergdahl's fellow infantrymen learned within days of his disappearance: he told people that he no longer supported the U.S. effort in Afghanistan.

"The future is too good to waste on lies," Bowe wrote to his parents. "And life is way too short to care for the damnation of others, as well as to spend it helping fools with their ideas that are wrong. I have seen their ideas and I am ashamed to even be American. The horror of the self-righteous arrogance that they thrive in. It is all revolting."

Bergdahl wrote to them, "I am sorry for everything. The horror that is America is disgusting."

CNN has not independently verified the authenticity of the emails.

A former member of Bergdahl's squad who has yet to identify his last name publicly but goes by "Cody" tweeted this weekend that before he disappeared, Bergdahl once told him, "If deployment is lame, I'm going to get lost in the Mountains and make my way to China."

Leatherman told CNN that Bergdahl "always looked at the mountains in the distance and talked of 'seeing what's on the other side.'"

Cody noted in his Twitter recollections a story that others from Blackfoot Company relay. While soldiers were searching for Bergdahl, a platoon "came upon some children, they asked him have they seen an American. The children said 'yes, he was crawling on his belly through weeds and acting funny a while ago,'" according to Cody.
There is truth to the deserter angle for sure. What's tragic is that 6 soldiers died looking for him, and their buddies now have utter resentment for Bowe.
The sense of pride expressed by officials of the Obama administration at the release of Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl is not shared by many of those who served with him -- veterans and soldiers who call him a deserter whose "selfish act" ended up costing the lives of better men.

"I was pissed off then and I am even more so now with everything going on," said former Sergeant Matt Vierkant, a member of Bergdahl's platoon when he went missing on June 30, 2009. "Bowe Bergdahl deserted during a time of war and his fellow Americans lost their lives searching for him."

Vierkant said Bergdahl needs to not only acknowledge his actions publicly but face a military trial for desertion under the Uniform Code of Military Justice.
There is something to the story.

benjipwns

Banned
Don't sorry. Soon America will see that the life of one American won't be worth the lives of the millions and billions those five individuals from Gitmo will eventually take with their own bare hands.

Or something hyperbolic like that.
ITS NOT HYPERBOLYY:
http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs...y-released-pow-exchange_794017.html?nopager=1
Unfortunately, America is not the only party in this war that is committed to leaving no man behind. So are the Taliban and other al Qaeda-linked groups. But the president did not say who America exchanged for Bergdahl: five of the most dangerous Taliban commanders in U.S. custody.

The Taliban has long demanded that the “Gitmo 5” be released in order for peace talks to begin in earnest. The Obama administration has desperately sought to engage the Taliban as American forces are drawn down in Afghanistan, but those talks have gone nowhere to this point. At first, the administration set preconditions for the talks, including that the Taliban break its relationship with al Qaeda. When it became clear that this was a non-starter, the administration decided to make the Taliban’s desired break with al Qaeda a goal, and no longer a precondition, for its diplomacy.

There is little hope that the peace talks will be more successful now. But the president seems to believe that Bergdahl’s exchange for the Gitmo 5 (who are reportedly being transferred to Qatar) may break the ice. “While we are mindful of the challenges, it is our hope Sergeant Bergdahl’s recovery could potentially open the door for broader discussions among Afghans about the future of their country by building confidence that it is possible for all sides to find common ground,” Obama said in his statement.

The Obama administration says that security measures have been put into place to make sure that the Gitmo 5 do not pose a threat to American national security. Let’s hope that is true; it certainly has not been the case with many ex-Gitmo detainees in the past.

There are good reasons why the Taliban has long wanted the five freed from Gitmo. All five are among the Taliban’s top commanders in U.S. custody and are still revered in jihadist circles.

Two of the five have been wanted by the UN for war crimes. And because of their prowess, Joint Task Force-Guantanamo (JTF-GTMO) deemed all five of them “high” risks to the U.S. and its allies.

The Obama administration wants to convince the Taliban to abandon its longstanding alliance with al Qaeda. But these men contributed to the formation of that relationship in the first place. All five had close ties to al Qaeda well before the 9/11 attacks. Therefore, it is difficult to see how their freedom would help the Obama administration achieve one of its principal goals for the hoped-for talks.

Here are short bios for each of the five Taliban commanders. All quotes are drawn from declassified and leaked documents prepared at Guantanamo.

Mullah Mohammad Fazl (Taliban army chief of staff): Fazl is “wanted by the UN for possible war crimes including the murder of thousands of Shiites.” Fazl “was associated with terrorist groups currently opposing U.S. and Coalition forces including al Qaeda, Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan (IMU), Hezb-e-Islami Gulbuddin (HIG), and an Anti-Coalition Militia group known as Harakat-i-Inqilab-i-Islami.” In addition to being one of the Taliban’s most experienced military commanders, Fazl worked closely with a top al Qaeda commander named Abdul Hadi al Iraqi, who headed al Qaeda’s main fighting unit in Afghanistan prior to 9/11 and is currently detained at Guantanamo.

Mullah Norullah Noori (senior Taliban military commander): Like Fazl, Noori is “wanted by the United Nations (UN) for possible war crimes including the murder of thousands of Shiite Muslims.” Beginning in the mid-1990s, Noori “fought alongside al Qaeda as a Taliban military general, against the Northern alliance.” He continued to work closely with al Qaeda in the years that followed.

Abdul Haq Wasiq (Taliban deputy minister of intelligence): Wasiq arranged for al Qaeda members to provide crucial intelligence training prior to 9/11. The training was headed by Hamza Zubayr, an al Qaeda instructor who was killed during the same September 2002 raid that netted Ramzi Binalshibh, the point man for the 9/11 operation. Wasiq “was central to the Taliban's efforts to form alliances with other Islamic fundamentalist groups to fight alongside the Taliban against U.S. and Coalition forces after the 11 September 2001 attacks,” according to a leaked JTF-GTMO threat assessment.

Khairullah Khairkhwa (Taliban governor of the Herat province and former interior minister): Khairkhwa was the governor of Afghanistan’s westernmost province prior to 9/11. In that capacity, he executed sensitive missions for Mullah Omar, including helping to broker a secret deal with the Iranians. For much of the pre-9/11 period, Iran and the Taliban were bitter foes. But a Taliban delegation that included Kharikhwa helped secure Iran’s support for the Taliban’s efforts against the American-led coalition in late 2001. JTF-GTMO found that Khairkhwa was likely a major drug trafficker and deeply in bed with al Qaeda. He allegedly oversaw one of Osama bin Laden’s training facilities in Herat.

Mohammed Nabi (senior Taliban figure and security official): Nabi “was a senior Taliban official who served in multiple leadership roles.” Nabi “had strong operational ties to Anti-Coalition Militia (ACM) groups including al Qaeda, the Taliban, the Haqqani Network, and the Hezb-e-Islami Gulbuddin (HIG), some of whom remain active in ACM activities.” Intelligence cited in the JTF-GTMO files indicates that Nabi held weekly meetings with al Qaeda operatives to coordinate attacks against U.S.-led forces.
They're probably smuggling in nuclear shoe bombs into every port in America as we speak.

A major problem with this prisoner exchange deal is the optics, 5 for 1. That's a tough pill for even a lot of supporters of the president

I think 5 for 1 is less of an issue, it's moreso who the 5 are. Many people, myself and Cloudy included, just assumed they would be heavily vetted and less dangerous prisoners. Instead they're all former terrorist leaders, being sent to a corrupt nation for a year. I really don't get this.

Chichikov

Oh no, the Taliban were out of respawns, and now they have five more lives!
Do people really think that they are running out of "terrorists"?

Fuck that noise, win win if you ask me, you get a soldier back and you have 5 less people we don't know what the fuck to do with in Gitmo.

Oh no, the Taliban were out of respawns, and now they have five more lives!
Do people really think that they are running out of "terrorists"?

Fuck that noise, win win if you ask me, you get a soldier back and you have 5 less people we don't know what the fuck to do with in Gitmo.

They were still at Guantanamo for a reason. All the fat has long since been trimmed from Guantanamo, these guys were not farmers who were turned in by their neighbors just so they could collect a reward. Look at these guys histories, this looks bad

Mike M

Nick N
They were still at Guantanamo for a reason. All the fat has long since been trimmed from Guantanamo, these guys were not farmers who were turned in by their neighbors just so they could collect a reward. Look at these guys histories, this looks bad
Not these guys in particular, but there's a sizable number of prisoners who have been cleared for release for years that we're still detaining. Hence the ongoing hunger strikes and questions about the US's force feeding protocols lately.

Wilsongt

Desertergate scandal, commence!

Chairman of the House Armed Services Committee Buck McKeon (R-CA) told Fox News host Bill Hemmer that there would be hearings into why the Obama administration didn’t notify Congress thirty days in advance of the prisoner swap for Bowe Bergdahl’s release from the Taliban, and compared Obama’s alleged disregard for the law to the administration’s actions surrounding Benghazi.

“It really is ironic, because this is kind of playing out much like Benghazi, where they kind of do or don’t do something, and then kind of come up with a story afterwards of why they did or didn’t do something,” McKeon said. “This president has a reputation, I think well-deserved, of deciding which laws he’s going to enforce and which laws he’s not going to enforce.”

“We still haven’t heard the details,” McKeon said of the prisoner swap. “We don’t know what they’re doing about these five, how they’re going to keep them out of the fight. We just are in the dark. And this is a violation of the law, no matter what [National Security Advisor Susan Rice] said.”

Fuck the GOP. I am tired of these little whiny shits.

How the fuck does Ben Carson, a man with 0 political experience, come in second?

Shouldn't be surprised, this is the party that produced Herman Cain.

How does Cruz come in first? His doughy looking guy with a squeaky voice who just spews the standard far-right talking points.

That said, I hope they nominate him. He's hopeless.

Chichikov

The reason is that we don't know what the fuck we can do with them.
Yeah, they're "bad people" no doubt, but to think that their release is going to have any sort of impact on anything (outside maybe morale) is silly.

Averon

I don't believe Obama would approve of this release of those men without any sort of plan to monitor them. I would not be surprised if they were turned to be used as intelligence assets within the Taliban.

My Afghan war vet buddy confirmed my earlier suspicions that CIA probably chipped them with a tracker before swapping them. He sai we are going to hear news of drone strikes very soon, but we wont be informed that the released detainees were the targets.

Wilsongt

Wait, really? I thought that was just more Fox News dumbassery. We actually know who the prisoners were, and they're high up terrorists?

The mind boggles.

...It's PD. Don't get sucked in.

They were mostly mid- to high-level officials in the Taliban regime and had been detained early in the war in Afghanistan, because of their positions within the Taliban, not because of ties to al Qaeda.

CNN has published photos obtained by WikiLeaks that match the names released by the Department of Defense of men exchanged for Bergdahl. The DoD would neither confirm nor deny the images' accuracy. And CNN has not been able to independently confirm their authenticity.

CNN profiled them two years ago, when their names first surfaced as candidates for a transfer as part of talks with the Taliban:

Khair Ulla Said Wali Khairkhwa

Khairkhwa was an early member of the Taliban in 1994 and was interior minister during the Taliban's rule. He hails from the same tribe as Afghan President Hamid Karzai and was captured in January 2002. Khairkhwa's most prominent position was as governor of Herat province from 1999 to 2001, and he was alleged to have been "directly associated" with Osama bin Laden. According to a detainee assessment, Khairkhwa also was probably associated with al Qaeda's now-deceased leader in Iraq, Abu Musab al Zarqawi. He is described as one of the "major opium drug lords in western Afghanistan" and a "friend" of Karzai. He was arrested in Pakistan and was transferred to Guantanamo in May 2002. During questioning, Khairkhwa denied all knowledge of extremist activities.

Mullah Mohammad Fazl

Fazl commanded the main force fighting the U.S.-backed Northern Alliance in 2001, and served as chief of army staff under the Taliban regime. He has been accused of war crimes during Afghanistan's civil war in the 1990s. Fazl was detained after surrendering to Abdul Rashid Dostam, the leader of Afghanistan's Uzbek community, in November 2001. He was wanted by the United Nations in connection with the massacre of thousands of Afghan Shiites during the Taliban's rule. "When asked about the murders, he did not express any regret," according to the detainee assessment. He was alleged to have been associated with several militant Islamist groups, including al Qaeda. He was transferred into U.S. custody in December 2001 and was one of the first arrivals at Guantanamo, where he was assessed as having high intelligence value.

Mullah Norullah Noori

Noori served as governor of Balkh province in the Taliban regime and played some role in coordinating the fight against the Northern Alliance. Like Fazl, Noori was detained after surrendering to Dostam, the Uzbek leader, in 2001. Noori claimed during interrogation that "he never received any weapons or military training." According to 2008 detainee assessment, Noori "continues to deny his role, importance and level of access to Taliban officials." That same assessment characterized him as high risk and of high intelligence value.

Abdul Haq Wasiq

Wasiq was the deputy chief of the Taliban regime's intelligence service. His cousin was head of the service. An administrative review in 2007 cited a source as saying that Wasiq was also "an al Qaeda intelligence member" and had links with members of another militant Islamist group, Hezb-e-Islami Gulbuddin. Wasiq claimed, according to the review, that he was arrested while trying to help the United States locate senior Taliban figures. He denied any links to militant groups.

Mohammad Nabi Omari

Omari was a minor Taliban official in Khost Province. According to the first administrative review in 2004, he was a member of the Taliban and associated with both al Qaeda and another militant group Hezb-e-Islami Gulbuddin. He was the Taliban's chief of communications and helped al Qaeda members escape from Afghanistan to Pakistan. Omari acknowledged during hearings that he had worked for the Taliban but denied connections with militant groups. He also said that he had worked with a U.S. operative named Mark to try to track down Taliban leader Mullah Omar.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/01/us/bergdahl-transferred-guantanamo-detainees/

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I'm starting to get scared guys.

Lankford sucks. He really, really sucks. But I really hope he wins, because T.W. Shannon is utterly terrifying.

Read this shit: http://www.twshannon.com/issues/

This guy could do a lot of damage on the national scale if he gets into the Senate. Lankford is terrible, but at least he's goofy and fairly non-threatening.

That issues page looks like he's no different than any other republican to me. Even if he was, one crazy senator can't really do much. I doubt there could be any issue where a Oklahoma senator could be the deciding swing vote.

Revolver

Wait, really? I thought that was just more Fox News dumbassery. We actually know who the prisoners were, and they're high up terrorists?

The mind boggles.

According to the outrage I heard on talk radio this morning, Obama set 5 bin Ladens free in exchange for a deserter whose father is a terrorist sympathizer. Bang the impeachment drum!

My Afghan war vet buddy confirmed my earlier suspicions that CIA probably chipped them with a tracker before swapping them. He sai we are going to hear news of drone strikes very soon, but we wont be informed that the released detainees were the targets.

I really wonder if this is possible and if it was done. But if it was done, I'd rather not know about it and keep the technology secret.

And if they drone them, wait a while before doing it. And don't kill them all. Best to keep the technology secret. (Sorta like when in WW2 before they would attack ships that they knew about due to breaking codes, they would first send out a reconnaissance plane to spot the ship and thus it would appear our attack was based on spotting them, not the code-breaking.)

Wilsongt

The OT thread on this went about as expected. "We traded a deserter for war criminals?"

It seems only the parents of the kid are happy about. Everyone else in America is pissed.

Draxal

It seems sadly stereotypical but it often seems that so many Jersey politicians are corrupt without regard to party. And that can include people like the popular Corey Booker.

I think Booker's still one of the good guys, obviously he has to engage in some quid pro quo to get shit done in this state. But I think he chooses the right time to do it.

Fulop's now the rising star in the anti-establishment democrats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom