• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So here's a question. We're over a year after Obama's job killing tax hike on the wealthy through both the income tax hike from the expirations of the Bush tax cuts, as well as the ones embedded in Obamacare. In some cases, some new taxes have been around for several years, as well as many new regulations, most notably from Obamacare.

And yet despite all these new shackles on our job creators, for some strange reason they still seem to be creating jobs. In fact, job growth was slightly higher in 2013 (after many of the tax hikes and such) than it was in 2012.

How do conservatives explain why our betters haven't fled to Somalia en masse already?

Tamanon

Banned
So here's a question. We're over a year after Obama's job killing tax hike on the wealthy through both the income tax hike from the expirations of the Bush tax cuts, as well as the ones embedded in Obamacare. In some cases, some new taxes have been around for several years, as well as many new regulations, most notably from Obamacare.

And yet despite all these new shackles on our job creators, for some strange reason they still seem to be creating jobs. In fact, job growth was slightly higher in 2013 (after many of the tax hikes and such) than it was in 2012.

How do conservatives explain why our betters haven't fled to Somalia en masse already?

They just say that we could have so many more jobs if he wasn't inhibiting things.

Oblivion

They just say that we could have so many more jobs if he wasn't inhibiting things.

Well sure, but that's a more difficult argument to make since, like I said, job creation was higher after the tax hike than it was before. And more importantly, haven't they said that by doing such things we'd be pulled back into a recession?

Tamanon

Banned
Well sure, but that's a more difficult argument to make since, like I said, job creation was higher after the tax hike than it was before. And more importantly, haven't they said that by doing such things we'd be pulled back into a recession?

But that's the beauty of media now. You don't have to make an argument. You just have to say it and it'll get repeated.

As much as I dislike sarah Palin. How do people not get banned or yelled at for the C-word and bitch comments?

It just makes me cringe. Its fine to mock her but those comments are clearly used in a gendered way in that context.

I get the British use in soccer and what not but sometimes it just makes me want to disassociate my self from many on the left when its used as a license and shield

Not really a complant about moderation but about the fact that yeah she has put up with sexism from the left.

Tamanon

Banned
As much as I dislike sarah Palin. How do people not get banned or yelled at for the C-word and bitch comment?

It just makes me cringe. Its fine to mock her but those comments are clearly used in a gendered way in that context.

I get the British use in soccer and what not but sometimes it just makes me want to disassociate my self from many on the left when its used as a license and shield

Not really a complant about moderation but about the fact that yeah she has put up with sexism from the left.

They should be banned for that, might need to message a mod, because they don't look in every thread. No room for that nonsense here.

kehs

Banned
As much as I dislike sarah Palin. How do people not get banned or yelled at for the C-word and bitch comments?

You might have missed the great cunt gaf controversy of 2013.

Cuntynails beat me to it.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
A actual letter from Ayn Rand to the Cat Fancy magazine back in 1966 (found via twitter)

aynrandletter.png

There was a big deal on neogaf when evilore said c word is ok to use. I think people ran wild after that.
I remember that. I get why there was backlash. Its less gendered in the UK. But like I said people are using it as cover not only to use it in the soccer threads but in clearly gendered ways. I didn't post in there because I knew the response would be "a c**t is a c**t, I'm not being sexist" but people should be conscious of that fact. Same thing with bitch.

It can be gender neutral but context matters and people shouldn't be able to hide behind its acceptability in certain circumstances as an excuse for using it as a sexist slur in others.It's not always intentional but I think there is a reason why the first insult are those words and not "idiot, stupid, asshole". The words have power.

Like I said I really personally don't care what the mods do that really wasn't my intent. But it just makes me cringe and I think illustrates that yeah there is sexism in many insults about Palin.

I think we'd call it out with Clinton or Racism but sometimes polticial disagreements excuse stuff that should be excused. Not a call for censorship but just recognition of a double standard the right rightfully calls out. Letterman did a lot of the same stuff in 08.

Oblivion

Wow, Rep. Steve King has one position that's not either retarded or vile: he actually supports wind energy. :eek:

Chichikov

Is calling her a dumb bitch that much worse than calling her a dumb fuck?
I mean sure, on some level this is a reflection of that state of linguistic-misogynistic affairs where we have a derogatory term for women but not really for men, but really, looking at that thread, I'm pretty sure most people having problem with the dumb shit she says, not with her gender.
I don't know, maybe it's because my native tongue is far less gender neutral than English and I'm just used to talking about women and men using different words on pretty much everything, but that doesn't bother me all that much (at least not on its own, if people being sexists fuck, that's a different story).
And as a guy, I think I'm the absolute final authority on what is offensive for and about women.

p.s.
Cunt is pretty much gender neutral in places like Australia, fuck, the only time I got banned from GAF was when I called Thomas Friedman a cunt.
No regrets, two minutes, well worth it.

Is calling her a dumb bitch that much worse than calling her a dumb fuck?
Yes

I mean sure, on some level this is a reflection of that state of linguistic-misogynistic affairs where we have a derogatory term for women but not really for men, but really, looking at that thread, I'm pretty sure most people having problem with the dumb shit she says, not with her gender.
This sounds a lot like the defense of racists language or the thug controversy.
They're reaching for that word because it has a certain power that in the context comes from Palin's gender. There's a reason why Palin gets called a bitch and c**t so quickly.

I don't know, maybe it's because my native tongue is far less gender neutral than English and I'm just used to talking about women and men using different words on pretty much everything, but that doesn't bother me all that much (at least not on its own, if people being sexists fuck, that's a different story).
I don't know much about gendered swearing but I know in Spanish its the same thing as english and there are certain words that are used to demean women. Its not using different genders on words, they're completely different words with different meanings

p.s.
Cunt is pretty much gender neutral in places like Australia, fuck, the only time I got banned from GAF was when I called Thomas Friedman a cunt.
No regrets, two minutes, well worth it.
Its more gender neutral in those places (but its still is gendered on many occasions ) but that's doesn't excuse its used by Americans discribing a female politician. How many Aussies are in US politics threads? And even then respect the fact its doesn't translate. Cultural ignorance isn't an excuse.

Edit: the posts that made me make this post were both made by Americans. And like I said this is a wider criticism. Sexism is a huge problem in Politics and picking political candidates. Clinton, Warren, and yes Palin (and Haley, Martinez, and Snowe face this too)

Chichikov

Yes

This sounds a lot like the defense of racists language or the thug controversy.
They're reaching for that word because it has a certain power that in the context comes from Palin's gender. There's a reason why Palin gets called a bitch and c**t so quickly.

I don't know much about gendered swearing but I know in Spanish its the same thing as english and there are certain words that are used to demean women. Its not using different genders on words, they're completely different words with different meanings

Its more gender neutral in those places (but its still is gendered on many occasions ) but that's doesn't excuse its used by Americans discribing a female politician. How many Aussies are in US politics threads? And even then respect the fact its doesn't translate. Cultural ignorance isn't an excuse.

Edit: the posts that made me make this post were both made by Americans. And like I said this is a wider criticism. Sexism is a huge problem in Politics and picking political candidates. Clinton, Warren, and yes Palin (and Haley, Martinez, and Snowe face this too)
I don't know if that's a fair comparison, when people talk about "thug culture" they're using coded language because saying what they really think is unacceptable.
What do you think the people who call Palin a bitch really want to say?
That's she should be ignored because her ovaries are giving her hysteria?
I don't think anyone there is implying that the issue is that she's a woman or that there's a problem with all women.
But you know what, I'll grant you that if you're a person that go to those type of words every time you want to curse a woman, that's probably something you want to work on, but calling for banning is going waaaaay too far in my mind.

There's a real problem with sexism in politics and society as a whole, no doubt, but I don't think banning those words is the way to go.

benjipwns

Banned

Does Sarah Palin even have a cunt? Have we seen the evidence?!? What is she hiding? Where is Glen Rice during all of this?

/andrewsullivan

Diablos

Meh, watching Christie on Fallon made me cringe. It was pretty nice to see Chris Rock get his digs in while Christie was backstage though.

It was such a PR stunt. For example: he said his family was more embarrassed at how he danced with Fallon than anything dealing with bridge closures because he "actually did that".

Is there really any steam left in bridgegate? Because I feel like outside of the beating he took in the polls, he's getting away with it. A Presidential campaign can right a lot of the wrongs in his approval post-scandal because it will be ancient history by the time mid-2015/early 2016 rolls around.

Meh, watching Christie on Fallon made me cringe. It was pretty nice to see Chris Rock get his digs in while Christie was backstage though.

It was such a PR stunt. For example: he said his family was more embarrassed at how he danced with Fallon than anything dealing with bridge closures because he "actually did that".

Is there really any steam left in bridgegate? Because I feel like outside of the beating he took in the polls, he's getting away with it. A Presidential campaign can right a lot of the wrongs in his approval post-scandal because it will be ancient history by the time mid-2015/early 2016 rolls around.

If we've learned anything in politics, that nothing is ancient history.

#BENGHAZI

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

The AG's investigation isn't done yet, so who knows.

Diablos

The AG's investigation isn't done yet, so who knows.
The worst is over for him I think, unless there is another scandal or they find a HUGE piece of evidence. A few months ago everyone in here was projecting so much confidence that this is going to essentially end him, now everyone is more neutral about it. I think he has been granted a second chance. He has to work hard to regain some credibility, but he's not sunk.

If we've learned anything in politics, that nothing is ancient history.

#BENGHAZI
As it relates to the GOP and their political agenda, Benghazi is a complete delusion from start to finish. Not quite the same as bridgegate where someone knowingly fucked up and is getting away with it because his lawyers and the media said he could.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The worst is over for him I think, unless there is another scandal or they find a HUGE piece of evidence. A few months ago everyone in here was projecting so much confidence that this is going to essentially end him, now everyone is more neutral about it. I think he has been granted a second chance. He has to work hard to regain some credibility, but he's not sunk.

It will depend on what they dig up, but we always knew this would die down so long as nothing came up. Christie's fate is tied to that investigation, there's not much else to say about it until they're done.

Diablos

It will depend on what they dig up, but we always knew this would die down so long as nothing came up. Christie's fate is tied to that investigation, there's not much else to say about it until they're done.
He'll come up squeaky clean or figure out a way to get out of it...

Christie, Bush and Walker are really the only credible candidates the party has for Pres. Jeb is tainted by the family name that his brother soiled, he's got a huge handicap coming right out of the gate and he knows it. Walker could be their last hope if all goes wrong for Christie, but he'd squirm on stage next to Clinton and I'm not convinced he can work his magic on the rest of the country like he did in WI.

There is probably so much shady shit going down right now between GOP lawyers and politicians and their willingness to keep Christie's head in the clear.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Christie, Bush and Walker are really the only credible candidates the party has for Pres. Jeb is tainted by the family name that his brother soiled, he's got a huge handicap coming right out of the gate and he knows it. Walker could be their last hope if all goes wrong for Christie, but he'd squirm on stage next to Clinton and I'm not convinced he can work his magic on the rest of the country like he did in WI.

There is probably so much shady shit going down right now between GOP lawyers and politicians and their willingness to keep Christie's head in the clear.

He's absolutely sunk if they can tie him to this though. It's corruption of the old school, the kind of shit people expect from Jersey.

But, but, but I thought the GOP had a "deep bench" for 2016?

A deep bench of stupidity, ignorance and pure lunacy, sure.

Perfect :lol

Diablos

He's absolutely sunk if they can tie him to this though. It's corruption of the old school, the kind of shit people expect from Jersey.
It keeps turning into a bigger IF though. Christie is more than prepared for this. It has been made crystal clear especially by his own lawyers coming out front and center projecting nothing but absolute certainty in the face of the law that their guy is not guilty of any wrongdoing, period, end of story. Even if the AG or anyone else ties him to something, Christie's people are going to go to war, and they will likely take very calculated but effective steps to shield him. They're ready for this which also leads me to believe he's going to be a formidable Presidential candidate. All of this is tactics/optics and it will spill over into his campaign. It shows that he can take a lot of shit and still have the guts and connections to persevere.

Why are you scared of Christie, Diablos? If the guy was that confident in running for President, he would've ran in 2012 when he still had that unknown aurora attached to him and everyone (by "everyone", I mean the media) was hoping he would run.

He probably would've gotten the nod over Romney and maybe sucker a few white Dems into voting for him. I don't know if it would've been good enough to beat Obama though...

Diablos

Why are you scared of Christie, Diablos? If the guy was that confident in running for President, he would've ran in 2012 when he still had that unknown aurora attached to him and everyone (by "everyone", I mean the media) was hoping he would run.

He probably would've gotten the nod over Romney and maybe sucker a few white Dems into voting for him. I don't know if it would've been good enough to beat Obama though...
I'm scared of him because he just won't go away. He is one of those politicians that people continue to like or at the very least overlook his wrongdoings for whatever stupid reasons. Not too long ago I called him the new Giuliani (all hype) but I'm not so sure now.

Christie also said anyone who underestimates Obama does so at their peril; he probably made an assessment of the "deep bench" for 2012, realized it was a joke, felt bad for Romney and sat it out which was wise on his behalf. Better to get re-elected as Governor and wait for Democrats to have a bad election in 2014 and capitalize on that... instead of jumping in the tank with a bunch of crazies going up against a President who had built an incredibly effective campaign for 2012 and ended up being completely unstoppable. Let the loons of the GOP keep picking each other off, let the Dems lose even more seats and possibly the Senate while their brand continues to go a bit stale to moderates, THEN come out swinging.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It keeps turning into a bigger IF though. Christie is more than prepared for this. It has been made crystal clear especially by his own lawyers coming out front and center projecting nothing but absolute certainty in the face of the law that their guy is not guilty of any wrongdoing, period, end of story. Even if the AG or anyone else ties him to something, Christie's people are going to go to war, and they will likely take very calculated but effective steps to shield him. They're ready for this which also leads me to believe he's going to be a formidable Presidential candidate. All of this is tactics/optics and it will spill over into his campaign. It shows that he can take a lot of shit and still have the guts and connections to persevere.

Sure he can take a lot of shit, but you completely leave out the fact that he can't talk to a regular person for 5 minutes without having the cops drag them off while he calls them an idiot. He doesn't play outside of Jersey.

Diablos

Sure he can take a lot of shit, but you completely leave out the fact that he can't talk to a regular person for 5 minutes without having the cops drag them off while he calls them an idiot. He doesn't play outside of Jersey.
He'll settle on a communications strategy heading into 2016, no worries...

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

I maintain the same position i had when this was all new. If they can get evidence unequivalently tieing it to him, then he's done as a governor. He's still done as a presidential hopeful either way. Is there any poll showing Christie has a shot at winning the primary? He's never going to be able to completely wash off the label of corrupt on a national level.

The worst is over for him I think, unless there is another scandal or they find a HUGE piece of evidence. A few months ago everyone in here was projecting so much confidence that this is going to essentially end him, now everyone is more neutral about it. I think he has been granted a second chance. He has to work hard to regain some credibility, but he's not sunk..

I think the bridge thing has sunk him. Even if we assume he didn't know about it, that still tells us two things about him:
1) He doesn't know what his underlings are doing.
2) He hires cheaters and assholes to work for him.

Neither of those is very attractive. And that is the best case .. . worst case is that it eventually comes out that he knew about the plan.

Mitt Romney for president in 2016?

Far from being excommunicated by Republicans after his loss to President Obama, 2012 Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney is enjoying a brand resurgence of late, drawing several potential 2016 candidates to his "ideas summit" this weekend in Utah and even earning some 2016 speculation himself.

In Utah, Romney has billed his summit as an opportunity for a new generation of conservative thinkers and political leaders to strategize about the best path forward for the party and the country. No fewer than six potential 2016 GOP candidates made the trek to the Park City, including Christie, Sens. Rand Paul, R-Ky., and Rob Portman, R-Ohio, Gov. Susana Martinez, R-Ohio, former Gov. Mike Huckabee, R-Ark., and Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wis., who was Romney's running mate in 2012.

Romney once worried he'd be branded a "loser for life" by his party if he failed to unseat the president, but it hasn't quite worked out that way. Despite the crowd of up-and-comers at his summit, many people there were more abuzz about the possibility that Romney himself could jump into the race in 2016.

Rommey "is the only person that can fill the stage," said MSNBC host and former Republican congressman Joe Scarborough at a private dinner on the summit's opening night, according to The Washington Post.

"He would be a giant in a field of midgets," added Montana Gov. Brian Schweitzer, a Democrat who's weighing a 2016 bid himself.

Rommey "is the only person that can fill the stage," said MSNBC host and former Republican congressman Joe Scarborough at a private dinner on the summit's opening night, according to The Washington Post.

"He would be a giant in a field of midgets," added Montana Gov. Brian Schweitzer, a Democrat who's weighing a 2016 bid himself.
Oh good, two losers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom