• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

Might as get Bob Dole and John McCain to run while we're at it.

Fuck it, if we're dragging necromancy into the picture let's get Strom Thurmond back in the running. At least he was open and honest about being a racist. The scary part is, Strom Thurmond might not even be right enough for the Tea Party; he voted in favor of background check at gun shows in 1999, allowing more foreign workers into the U.S. for farm work and visas for skilled workers in '98... fuck, he'd be dead in the water on those two alone.

Diablos

Fuck it, if we're dragging necromancy into the picture let's get Strom Thurmond back in the running. At least he was open and honest about being a racist. The scary part is, Strom Thurmond might not even be right enough for the Tea Party; he voted in favor of background check at gun shows in 1999, allowing more foreign workers into the U.S. for farm work and visas for skilled workers in '98... fuck, he'd be dead in the water on those two alone.
And yet he had no shame in calling himself a racist... kind of mindblowing.

I think the GOP nominee will be

Tim Pawlenty

And he'll pretend to be Southern the whole time

E: the nice thing about Strom Thurmond is that he's dead in real life too, not just a tea party primary

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Who says he needs to be competent? All he needs is a larger-than-life bag full of money (which he'll get) thanks to the SCOTUS.
I doubt he'd get the nomination, but he's going to run, kicking and screaming the whole way through. If you thought Green Eggs and Ham before the shutdown was bad...

If people like Perry and Bachmann can run ANYONE can.

I know he can run, I'm saying I don't think he can win the nomination.

Diablos

It's sad that Strom Thurmond's honesty would be a breath of fresh air these days for the GOP.
Yeah, a lot of the antics by fringe/Tea Party GOPers is an unintended consequence of the increasingly politically correct world we live in, I think. Not saying going back to Thurmond's antics is ideal either, but it's almost like these people know they live in a world where they just can't be themselves anymore, so they hide behind rhetoric that makes no sense while upping the ante on sticking it to what they oppose, because to them it embodies everything that fuels their closeted hatred, racism, bigotry, you name it... and the scary thing is that it pays the dividends for them, because so long as they don't break the unspoken rule (i.e. said blatant racism, sexism, bigotry front and center in their politics) they can continue to get away with acting crazy, totally unchecked...

benjipwns

Banned
Sure, it is kind of tradition that losers don't run again . . . but there is always a first time.
It is?

It's a modern "tradition" because you generally don't have a shot in the primaries and even more importantly, can't fundraise as easily. But losers running again and again is a long American tradition going back to Jefferson. (Jackson, Clay lost three times and could have lost a fourth in 1848 but Zachary Taylor knocked him out at the Convention, Cleveland, William fucking Jennings Bryan ran and lost three times and could have had the nomination again in 1912 if he wanted it, and the aforementioned Dewey and Stevenson. And Nixon.)

Primary losers run again constantly.

He should know better than trying to apply the same methodology to trying and predict football or basketball matches.
Basketball is actually as easy to predict long term as Presidential elections since it's pretty stable and tied to point differential.

The NCAA tournament isn't because it's one-and-done. The standard errors grow exponentially. That's why his system basically just picked the better team for each game because it's the only sensible way to do it if your goal is to be as accurate overall for the entire tournament as possible.

I would assume this is compounded in soccer because of the endless number of 1-0, 2-1, 0-0 entries in the dataset.

I don't know why you guys are counting Romney out. If he thinks he's got a shot, he'll run again. He's got nothing better to do and he's got piles of money. Sure, it is kind of tradition that losers don't run again . . . but there is always a first time. And if the rest of the field is a pack of loons again, why not?
What will be his platform on Obamacare this time around? No GOPer is going to go full repeal in 2016. And then there is immigration.

Anyway all this talk is moot because there is no possible way for a Republican to attain 270 electoral votes. It's good for run of the mill diablosing and idle chit chat.

benjipwns

Banned
Romney had to be convinced to run again in 2012 and was miserable the whole time, why the hell would he run again in 2016?

He's just a smart businessman like Sarah Palin, people will give you money because you played for their team once.

Wilsongt

Romney had to be convinced to run again in 2012 and was miserable the whole time, why the hell would he run again in 2016?

He's just a smart businessman like Sarah Palin, people will give you money because you played for their team once.

85305efdd72a102c6f368bc0627b695c.jpg

benjipwns

Banned
She turned half a term as a governor of fucking Alaska into becoming a multi-millionaire media star. Gets paid mad bank to go to all these tea party/GOP events where she's treated like royalty and rambles for a few minutes about how Obama sucks. And do reality shows. All with no responsibilities.

In retrospect she's clearly the smartest person on any of the 2008 tickets.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
She turned half a term as a governor of fucking Alaska into becoming a multi-millionaire media star. Gets paid mad bank to go to all these tea party/GOP events where she's treated like royalty and rambles for a few minutes about how Obama sucks. And do reality shows. All with no responsibilities.

Well, to be fair McCain was the one that picked her and gave her the platform to make that transition. Without that lift up she'd be nothing more than the Governor of a snowy winter hellscape.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

I'm not sure I'd characterize that as evidence of being a "smart businessman" so much as being an opportunist.

By your definition, Joe the Plumber would be a smart businessman too.

benjipwns

Banned
Well, to be fair McCain was the one that picked her and gave her the platform to make that transition. Without that lift up she'd be nothing more than the Governor of a snowy winter hellscape.
I'm not sure I'd characterize that as evidence of being a "smart businessman" so much as being an opportunist.
A smart businessman takes advantage of opportunities they're presented with.

By your definition, Joe the Plumber would be a smart businessman too.
I think he's like a D-list tea party invite now. He blew his attempt to get his business, his book and then wasted time on a congressional run. No star power.

Oblivion

I think he's like a D-list tea party invite now. He blew his attempt to get his business, his book and then wasted time on a congressional run. No star power.

To this day I'm still wondering how he blew such a meal ticket.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I dunno, I'd go around saying the stupidest shit ever in an attempt to stay in the limelight and keep that gray train going. Sure I'd look like a moron, but I'd be laughing all the way to the bank.

Oblivion

I dunno, I'd go around saying the stupidest shit ever in an attempt to stay in the limelight and keep that gray train going. Sure I'd look like a moron, but I'd be laughing all the way to the bank.

No, see that's exactly what I mean. The dude keeps going around saying stupid shit (just the other day he said "your dead kids don't trump my second amendment rights"), but unlike the typical right-wing celebrity, he's not getting paid to say such shit anymore. He's working at a friggin union (LOL) job nowadays instead of going around on book tours and doing radio interviews and shit.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
No, see that's exactly what I mean. The dude keeps going around saying stupid shit (just the other day he said "your dead kids don't trump my second amendment rights"), but unlike the typical right-wing celebrity, he's not getting paid to say such shit anymore. He's working at a friggin union (LOL) job nowadays instead of going around on book tours and doing radio interviews and shit.

Well, you've got to be smart enough to write a book to do that. Or at least smart enough to hire someone that knows how to do that. That's the difference between someone like Palin and Joe the Plumber. She has people around her that know how to keep her in the green by saying dumb as fuck shit and the connections to make it happen, Joe the Plumber has no such people or connections. That's the advantage of wealth and power, the ability to turn any situation into an opportunity to make money.

benjipwns

Banned
He's not a good guest, Palin's got her folksy quips and can fit answers into thirty or forty seconds now. Whenever I've seen him he kinda rambles off and is slightly informed about a topic. Palin comes armed with the lines and quips prepared.

Retro

Yeah, a lot of the antics by fringe/Tea Party GOPers is an unintended consequence of the increasingly politically correct world we live in, I think. Not saying going back to Thurmond's antics is ideal either, but it's almost like these people know they live in a world where they just can't be themselves anymore, so they hide behind rhetoric that makes no sense while upping the ante on sticking it to what they oppose, because to them it embodies everything that fuels their closeted hatred, racism, bigotry, you name it... and the scary thing is that it pays the dividends for them, because so long as they don't break the unspoken rule (i.e. said blatant racism, sexism, bigotry front and center in their politics) they can continue to get away with acting crazy, totally unchecked...

Just for shits and giggles... Say that somehow, Strom Thurmond was both still alive and ran for president in 2012. Which would be more important to the average Tea Party voter; that Thurmond had voted in favor of background checks at trade shows / immigrant visas, or that he would openly be out specifically to "beat the black guy," and very clearly because he is black.

Basically, what do we think is more important to the Tea Party; two of the things they're openly passionate about and will completely turn on a candidate for not fervently supporting (as seen with Cantor's disembowelment over immigration) or the one thing that they have to keep quietly festering but is (we assume) the underlying cause of their rage?

Just for shits and giggles... Say that somehow, Strom Thurmond was both still alive and ran for president in 2012. Which would be more important to the average Tea Party voter; that Thurmond had voted in favor of background checks at trade shows / immigrant visas, or that he would openly be out specifically to "beat the black guy," and very clearly because he is black.

I would have voted for him. Hell, if a man can stand up and flat out say he's a Racist, what point is there to lying about anything. There is a huge lack of trust and honest between politicians and the American people, so anyone who's honest seems like a safe bet these days...

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I would have voted for him. Hell, if a man can stand up and flat out say he's a Racist, what point is there to lying about anything. There is a huge lack of trust and honest between politicians and the American people, so anyone who's honest seems like a safe bet these days...

So it doesn't matter if he's a shithead as long as he admits that he is one?

benjipwns

Banned

Basically, what do we think is more important to the Tea Party; two of the things they're openly passionate about and will completely turn on a candidate for not fervently supporting (as seen with Cantor's disembowelment over immigration) or the one thing that they have to keep quietly festering but is (we assume) the underlying cause of their rage?
Thurmond would get nowhere on this hypothetical platform.

Restricting guns, allowing immigrants and abortion are the do-not-cross lines with the GOP base. They'll accept tax increases and gay marriage before those things.

And even if they were 100% racists, they wouldn't support an openly racist candidate purely on those grounds because they know that's a non-starter in a general.

I think this is one reason listening to Rush Limbaugh occasionally is instructive (or Hannity or whoever, Limbaugh's just the most likely to actually be funny from time to time) because he regularly lays out the conservative political strategic world view at its very core. It's Nixon's silent majority theory. Essentially that the Tea Party is a slightly center-right movement in the country, but the left dominates the media and if the GOP would put up actual conservatives instead of Romney/McCain the people would see the true contrast between their pro-America views and the left-wing agenda of the Democrats and sweep them in with a landslide ala 1972 and 1984. It's when you betray these positions and support amnesty or gun control or birth control that America says "might as well just vote for the full fledged anti-America free stuff agenda" since it gets more media hype.

Did we miss this?

‘Sad Thad’ Cochran Reminisces About Simple Joys Of Childhood, Like Sexing Animals
“I grew up coming down here for Christmas,” he said. “My father’s family was here. My mother’s family was from rural Hinds County in Utica.”

“It was fun, it was an adventure to be out there in the country and to see what goes on,” he said of his boyhood visits to Hattiesburg. “Picking up pecans, from that to all kinds of indecent things with animals.”

The audience chuckled.

“And I know some of you know what that is,” Cochran said.

Retro

I wasn't so much curious if people would vote for him as much as I was wondering what folks thought the Tea Party reaction would be to a candidate who openly expresses the contempt that seems to rest at the core of their outrage, but has a history that doesn't meet the rigid standards they expect their candidates to meet (i.e. Cantor was pretty far right and even he wasn't far enough to survive a primary).

I get what you're saying though and I said it myself; an openly racist candidate, though abhorrent for the racism, would at least be a breath of fresh air in politics. I dunno that I'd go so far as to say I'd vote for him (Racism being such a backwards convention, the rest of their views are unlikely to align with my own), but at least it wouldn't be the usual bullshit for once.

Thurmond would get nowhere on this hypothetical platform.

Restricting guns, allowing immigrants and abortion are the do-not-cross lines with the GOP base. They'll accept tax increases and gay marriage before those things.

And even if they were 100% racists, they wouldn't support an openly racist candidate purely on those grounds because they know that's a non-starter in a general.

That's pretty much where I fall in this hypothetical as well, and I had a feeling PolitiGAF would mostly settle in the same area. There's no way they'd support an overtly racist candidate if they all bail out on somebody like Bundy.

There's definitely a racist undercurrent at the heart of the Tea Party though; their anti-immigration stance obviously so, but I think even the fanatical devotion to the second amendment is an expression of it as well ("I need to be armed or brown people will get me"). But interestingly enough, we both agree that in the right situation they'd allow tax increases, even though they're the "Taxed Enough Already" party. The reason I posed this hypothetical was to see if anyone else thought the social issues of the party would trump the fiscal ones they claim to represent. I think they'd be perfectly fine with a candidate who raised taxes as long as he was "one of their guys" and coming down hard on all of their socially conservative demands.

benjipwns

Banned
The reason I posed this hypothetical was to see if anyone else thought the social issues of the party would trump the fiscal ones they claim to represent. I think they'd be perfectly fine with a candidate who raised taxes as long as he was "one of their guys" and coming down hard on all of their socially conservative demands.
In 1992 they stayed with Bush because he chased after Buchanan and the Religious Right just enough to defray his "no new taxes" stumble. Though I think he didn't keep a lot of them for the general.

I know a lot of the younger PoliGAFer's won't believe it, but the Bushies (James Baker, etc.) were once considered to be faux-conservatives who were undermining the Reagan administration from within and secretly pushing for abortions everywhere and prayer nowhere. H.W. Bush was certainly more moderate and Rockefeller Republicanish than he played in his 1988 and 1992 campaigns where he overcompensated in some pretty hilarious ways. (If you watch the 1988 primary debates, for example, at times you'd think he was the 700 Club host and Pat Robertson was a Democratic candidate.) The pledge of allegiance at the convention being one of my favorites.

The hope I once had for the Tea Party was that it would stick to purely fiscal and economic issues and be a counterweight to the social conservatives and "invade everywhere" conservatives that would tear the party apart essentially. But the Tea Party got sucked up into that generic "patriotism is conservative" vibe. And the GOP was all too happy to help encourage that angle.

Retro

I know a lot of the younger PoliGAFer's won't believe it, but the Bushies (James Baker, etc.) were once considered to be faux-conservatives who were undermining the Reagan administration from within and secretly pushing for abortions everywhere and prayer nowhere.

Slightly before my time (2000 was my first time voting) but I've read heavily on the Christian Coalition, Pat Robertson and Ralph Reed's work pushing the GOP to align with their views in the 80s and 90s.

On that note, why does it seem like the Democrats (at least since the 60s when everything flipped) remain relatively stable while the GOP is routinely being "hijacked", for lack of a better term. For example, even though Clinton represented a more centrist shift within the party, it doesn't feel like a tectonic shift from, say Carter or Kennedy. But you look at Reagan and Bush Sr. and then the neocon/evangelical underpinnings of people like Bush Jr. or Sarah Palin and it's like watching the ground shift from conservative to crazy in real time (especially Palin when you see her wishing for that gosh darn Armageddon to just get started already, jeewiz). Now the Tea Party is going through and weeding out the old guard GOP who are running scared into deep red turf. It just seems like their shifts are so much more... violent.

Edit: Fully expecting to get schooled here as my political history starts to get murky any further back than Carter or Ford. That's kind of why I lurk in this thread to begin with.

And the GOP was all too happy to help encourage that angle.

Biting them in the ass now, though.

benjipwns

Banned
In some ways, it's amusing that the Republicans have remained as they were founded, a temporary alliance of opposition forces.

The Republican Party is basically a coalition of anti-Democratic forces. On foreign policy you have the "strong foreign policy" types and the non-interventionists. On social issues you have the libertarians and the social conservatives. On economic issues you have the free marketers and the big business/protectionists. This type of divide has been the party's makeup almost since it combined the Whigs, Free Soilers, Know-Nothings, etc. into one force that was boosted into significant power due to the Civil War. When Bryan imported Populism into the Democratic Party and Wilson imported intellectual Progressivism and internationalism this effectively crafted the unstable Republican Party of the 20th Century. The one that went from Roosevelt to Harding/Coolidge to Hoover to Goldwater to Nixon to Reagan while remaining one party.

In some respects, it's the Populism that introduced and inflamed the contradictions into the Democratic Party that as they were forced out pushed them into the Republican Party leaving it with so many contradictions. It's just the inertia of the duopoly that keeps the Republican Party together.

Read more incoherent unsupported ramblings in my upcoming book: The Criss-Cross of Gold: How William Jennings Bryan Made The Parties Jump Jump.

Piecake

In some ways, it's amusing that the Republicans have remained as they were founded, a temporary alliance of opposition forces.

The Republican Party is basically a coalition of anti-Democratic forces. On foreign policy you have the "strong foreign policy" types and the non-interventionists. On social issues you have the libertarians and the social conservatives. On economic issues you have the free marketers and the big business/protectionists. This type of divide has been the party's makeup almost since it combined the Whigs, Free Soilers, Know-Nothings, etc. into one force that was boosted into significant power due to the Civil War. When Bryan imported Populism into the Democratic Party and Wilson imported intellectual Progressivism and internationalism this effectively crafted the unstable Republican Party of the 20th Century. The one that went from Roosevelt to Harding/Coolidge to Hoover to Goldwater to Nixon to Reagan while remaining one party.

In some respects, it's the Populism that introduced and inflamed the contradictions into the Democratic Party that as they were forced out pushed them into the Republican Party leaving it with so many contradictions. It's just the inertia of the duopoly that keeps the Republican Party together.

Read more incoherent unsupported ramblings in my upcoming book: The Criss-Cross of Gold: How William Jennings Bryan Made The Parties Jump Jump.

You gave me a weird image of William Jennings Bryan dancing to Kris kross

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Slightly before my time (2000 was my first time voting) but I've read heavily on the Christian Coalition, Pat Robertson and Ralph Reed's work pushing the GOP to align with their views in the 80s and 90s.

On that note, why does it seem like the Democrats (at least since the 60s when everything flipped) remain relatively stable while the GOP is routinely being "hijacked", for lack of a better term. For example, even though Clinton represented a more centrist shift within the party, it doesn't feel like a tectonic shift from, say Carter or Kennedy. But you look at Reagan and Bush Sr. and then the neocon/evangelical underpinnings of people like Bush Jr. or Sarah Palin and it's like watching the ground shift from conservative to crazy in real time (especially Palin when you see her wishing for that gosh darn Armageddon to just get started already, jeewiz). Now the Tea Party is going through and weeding out the old guard GOP who are running scared into deep red turf. It just seems like their shifts are so much more... violent.

Edit: Fully expecting to get schooled here as my political history starts to get murky any further back than Carter or Ford. That's kind of why I lurk in this thread to begin with.

Biting them in the ass now, though.

Well, since you picked the 60's as the turning point you're questioning, just think about what caused the shift in the 60s. The parties divided between racists and not racists. Which of those two groups do you think would be more active after civil rights? The one filled with various groups with hateful ideas, or the ones that, after segregation, didn't really have a ton of legislative footing to stand on regarding race.

That's obviously not the whole story, but if you want the simplest explanation, that's the one. I would say right now it's transformed more into the republicans being the party that hates the government, and since republicans are a part of the government, republicans hate leadership republicans.

benjipwns

Banned
That's way beyond a simplistic explanation. Just as much as the conservative version in which the Democrats became the party of amnesty, acid and abortion and that's why the South fled.

The simple fact is that the "flip" didn't happen in the 1960's but when Republicans became a viable legislative party again starting in 1994. That's over a generation removed from the civil rights fights of the 1960's.

US_Map-_legislative_party_control.PNG

US_Map-overallpartisancontrol%25.PNG

The big swings actually started after 2000, helped in part by some old hands dying off plus term limits:
US_Map-partisanswing.PNG

This replicates with the U.S. Senate and House too. The House seems exponential because of redistricting, the states that were moving to the Democrats were losing population to the states that were moving to the Republicans enhancing the GOP swing.

AndyD

aka andydumi
So whats the deal with the "Lost" IRS emails. Do we think they lost them on purpose? I am more surprised that emails are stored locally verses on a network server. My computer has crashed twice in the past 5 years at work and I lost all of my "local" information which amounted to pretty much nothing since everything is stored on network servers instead. I know the government is behind on technology........ Maybe now republicans will want to invest in more technology so they can properly subpoena everything under the sun.

My state's government purges employee email after 3 months unless there's a litigation hold on a certain individual. As a result, many people "save" email by moving it offline to their computer. Of course the computer savvy know how to back up that local copy, but I bet the average user does not and a loss of their machine means loss of anything older than 3 months.

I don't know what the IRS purge period is, and I bet it's longer than 3 months, but loss is possible.

I wonder if the continued success of Medicaid expansion in other states will eventually force Republican state governments to accept the expansion, or if the constituency that would benefit from expansion is ultimately too small and poor to force their hand.

Too small and definitely too poor.

Chichikov

My state's government purges employee email after 3 months unless there's a litigation hold on a certain individual. As a result, many people "save" email by moving it offline to their computer. Of course the computer savvy know how to back up that local copy, but I bet the average user does not and a loss of their machine means loss of anything older than 3 months.

I don't know what the IRS purge period is, and I bet it's longer than 3 months, but loss is possible.
I don't think there's anything to the IRS so called scandal, but I think we should keep all government emails forever.
Not only would it help in investigating misconducts, this will be treasure trove for future historians.

Storage is dirt cheap these days, no reason not to do it.

Wilsongt

I know Fox News is tasteless, but they took the cake today with one of their soundbites dealing with the emails. It went something along the lines of "I don't know what she (Lois Lerner) did. She could have murdered Jean Benet Ramsey."

WTF. I don't know who said it, but I'll find out.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
That's way beyond a simplistic explanation. Just as much as the conservative version in which the Democrats became the party of amnesty, acid and abortion and that's why the South fled.

The simple fact is that the "flip" didn't happen in the 1960's but when Republicans became a viable legislative party again starting in 1994. That's over a generation removed from the civil rights fights of the 1960's.

http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/images/1/1d/US_Map-_legislative_party_control.PNG[img]
[img]http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/images/9/9f/US_Map-overallpartisancontrol%25.PNG[img]

The big swings actually started after 2000, helped in part by some old hands dying off plus term limits:
[img]http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/images/9/93/US_Map-partisanswing.PNG[img]

This replicates with the U.S. Senate and House too. The House seems exponential because of redistricting, the states that were moving to the Democrats were losing population to the states that were moving to the Republicans enhancing the GOP swing.[/QUOTE]

I don't see how states changing parties means anything in the context we're talking about. He's asking why it seems that the republican party in particular is making a ton of violent changes and moves in a policy sense, and that does line up.

The 60s was defined by civil rights, 70s was abortions, 80s was welfare queens and lazy union members, 90s was tough on crime, 00s was tough on islamic terrorists, and the 10s are about obstructing the first black president in every single way possible. I can't say the abortion stuff was about race in the 70s (though it clearly is today when looking at the Bundy rant for example) but all the other ones have some pretty clear attachments to the lazy black thug getting to cheat his way through life thanks to the government, or i guess more recently fear of anything about the middle east.

Chumly

Too small and definitely too poor.
My company has a 6 month purge but there is an option to permanently store emails on network servers. If be curious what the IRS guidelines are around storage of emails. Of course well probably never hear if it wasn't her fault since that wouldn't make an interesting headline.

She's laughing at polygraphs and incompetent lab techs.

Yeah what can you do when the lab cuts out the bloody piece of underwear and then throws it away. That really is crazy and worth a laugh, history of the case aside.

But even then, does the headline "Hillary Clinton was kind of a sleazy lawyer" actually shock or disturb anyone?

Wilsongt

Government Shutdown 2: Electric Booggalo on the horizon.

Senior House Republicans are considering using a must-pass government funding bill to block President Barack Obama's new rule to limit greenhouse gas pollution from coal-fired power plants.

Rep. Mike Simpson (R-ID), who chairs the Appropriations subcommittee on energy and water, told Bloomberg News the funding ban "will be" in the interior panel's government funding legislation.

He isn't the only influential Republican who's interested in inserting a provision in appropriations legislation to prohibit implementation of the regulation unveiled this month by the Environmental Protection Agency.

Rep. Ken Calvert (R-CA), who chairs the subcommittee on interior-environment, said Republicans will "take a serious look at" barring funds for the EPA rule, according to Bloomberg. He said the inclusion of such a provision wouldn't surprise him because "[t]here's great interest from a lot of members."

Congress has three and a half months before funding expires. Republicans could theoretically shift strategy and remove the provision before final passage on the House floor. Or they could pass it and spark a battle with Senate Democrats and the White House with the prospect of another government shutdown looming when the fiscal year ends on Sept. 30.

The coal regulation has become an animating force for Republicans on the 2014 campaign trail. GOP leaders claim the rule will hurt the economy (particularly in coal states like Kentucky); they paint it as executive overreach by the president; they insist it reveals Obama to be in thrall to environmentalists. Although the regulation of coal-fired power plants is popular nationally, these are irresistible attacks for the GOP in the November elections, particularly in fossil-fuel states that could determine the balance of power in the Senate.

The problem is such a standoff could wind up damaging the GOP at the wrong moment.

"I can't imagine them shutting down the government one month before midterm elections," said a Democratic congressional aide.

TPM backpats.

Government Shutdown 2: Electric Booggalo on the horizon.

TPM backpats.
Fucking bring it, please.

Democrats' position in the generic ballot polling improved dramatically after the shutdown last year (a lead of 6.4 points according to HuffPo's pollster average). If that happened again they could easily win the House.

Crisco

Banned
So ...... based on various polls over the past few years, the majority of Americans want gun control, single payer healthcare, regulations on greenhouse emissions, higher taxes on millionaires, and immigration reform. Why aren't we living in a liberal utopia yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom