• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see how states changing parties means anything in the context we're talking about. He's asking why it seems that the republican party in particular is making a ton of violent changes and moves in a policy sense, and that does line up.

The 60s was defined by civil rights, 70s was abortions, 80s was welfare queens and lazy union members, 90s was tough on crime, 00s was tough on islamic terrorists, and the 10s are about obstructing the first black president in every single way possible. I can't say the abortion stuff was about race in the 70s (though it clearly is today when looking at the Bundy rant for example) but all the other ones have some pretty clear attachments to the lazy black thug getting to cheat his way through life thanks to the government, or i guess more recently fear of anything about the middle east.

The 70s weren't about abortion, which was still an emerging issue. It was about Tax and Spend, and that was certainly code for Spending on Social Programs.

So ...... based on various polls over the past few years, the majority of Americans want gun control, single payer healthcare, regulations on greenhouse emissions, higher taxes on millionaires, and immigration reform. Why aren't we living in a liberal utopia yet?

The left is too busy smoking pot and having unprotected sex to vote.

alstein

2020 is going to be such a huge election it's not even funny.

This is why I'm kinda scared of Hillary in 2016- if she wins and things don't go well, the Republicans might be able to win in 2020, or the Dems won't get the amount they need to take over enough state legislatures to counter-gerrymander.

You guys were discussing this a page or two ago, but I was always curious to see what the GOP priority scale is when it comes to their positions on: gun rights, abortion, taxes, immigration, foreign policy. Do you guys really think they'd give up on the economic front before they would even think about giving up on the social front? Cause Republicans haven't raised taxes since Newt Gingrich waddled his way into office. I used to think that would be more paramount than anything. On the other hand, something like acting remotely humanely to Messicans completely destroyed Rick Perry's candidacy, so I dunno.

I think there are two branches of Republicans: Southern-style racist social conservatives who will give up on the economic grounds, but are repugnant to other Dems, and vulgar libertarians who don't care about the social stuff (alongside some actual libertarians, though legit libertarians are largely not welcomed anymore).

There's a battle over which branch will win out, I'm hoping for the social conservatives- they may be vile, but they're less damaging to the country.

You guys were discussing this a page or two ago, but I was always curious to see what the GOP priority scale is when it comes to their positions on: gun rights, abortion, taxes, immigration, foreign policy. Do you guys really think they'd give up on the economic front before they would even think about giving up on the social front? Cause Republicans haven't raised taxes since Newt Gingrich waddled his way into office. I used to think that would be more paramount than anything. On the other hand, something like acting remotely humanely to Messicans completely destroyed Rick Perry's candidacy, so I dunno.

The GOP in its function as a party is exclusively about taxes and regulation (which are in effect taxes)

Everything comes back down to taxes. Its their rasion d'être

Drakeon

2020 is going to be such a huge election it's not even funny.

Thank fucking christ it's a Presidential election. 2010 fucked us so hard being an off-year election. Imagine the maps if the 2008 election happened in 2010 and we got the huge democratic wave in state congresses.

Crisco

Banned

Joe Molotov

I'm glad that Obama is trying to take away attention from his many scandals by capturing on of the Benghazi attackers.

If we keep capturing/killing terrorists, how are we supposed to use them to scare up support for perpetual wars? Obama should stick to Community Organizing and leave the presidency to serious people.

Excellent. Now all we have to do is interrogate him and he will reveal what we already suspect: Obama planned Benghazi all along and is on his way to letting his Muslim Kenyan Marxis Communist Gay mafia take over the USA.
He used Bowe Bergdahl to kill 4 americans in benghazi and turn america into a gay caliphate.

Averon

Excellent. Now all we have to do is interrogate him and he will reveal what we already suspect: Obama planned Benghazi all along and is on his way to letting his Muslim Kenyan Marxis Communist Gay mafia take over the USA.

Obama's such a grand mastermind that he allowed the one man who can take him down to be captured alive?

Or is that what he wants us to think? That 13th dimensional chess.

Wilsongt

Obama's such a grand mastermind that he allowed the one man who can take him down to be captured alive?

Or is that what he wants us to think? That 13th dimensional chess.

The guy is actually Obama's gay lover. It's their anniversary so he had to get him into the US somehow. They made reservations at Ruth's Chris. It's totally in Hilary's book.

Bad news for Kay Hagan

PPP's new North Carolina poll finds Kay Hagan with her largest lead for reelection since September. She leads by 5 points with 39% to 34% for Thom Tillis and 11% for Libertarian Sean Haugh. When Haugh's supporters say which of the major party candidates they'd choose if they had to pick, Hagan leads 42/38.

Hagan's expanded lead is likely a function of the General Assembly being in session- over the last year and a half her leads have always been the largest when the legislature and Thom Tillis' role at the helm of it has been most in the news. Only 18% of voters approve of the job the General Assembly is doing to 54% who disapprove. Perhaps as an extension of that, Tillis has just a 23% favorability rating with 45% of voters rating him unfavorably.

Also, her opponent on "traditional" people:

Thom Tillis said:
The traditional population of North Carolina and the United States is more or less stable. It's not growing. The African American population is roughly growing but the Hispanic population and the other immigrant populations are growing in significant numbers. We've got to resonate with those future voters.
Classy.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So I've been at Bonnaroo since last Wednesday and have pretty much been outta the loop except for Iraq and Cantor.

What have I missed?

USA#1

eC4SeKq.gif

Wilsongt

The Daily Show has been hitting homeruns constantly the last few weeks.

I guess it's pretty easy to do when the GOP keeps lobbing underhanded pitches at you.

Franken and Dayton post double-digit leads over GOP challengers in a new PPP poll:

Al Franken leads all of his potential Republican opponents by double digits. He leads his most likely potential foe, Mike McFadden, 49-38. Those numbers are exactly the same as they were eight months ago. Franken's leads against the rest of the GOP field are 50/39 over Jim Abeler, 49/38 over David Carlson, 50/35 over Patrick Munro, and 50/33 over O. Savior.

The story in the Governor's race is similarly stable from the fall. Mark Dayton leads Kurt Zellers 47/37, Jeff Johnson and Marty Seifert 47/36, and Merill Anderson and Scott Honour 47/35. In October he led Zellers, Johnson, Seifert, and Honour all by 10-11 points as well. Dayton has a 48/41 approval rating now, nearly identical to his 48/42 spread from our previous survey.
They've both been pretty great, so I'm glad to see this reflected in polling. The state has flourished under Dayton (extremely low unemployment rate, extremely low uninsured rate, high budget surplus), unlike a certain other Midwestern state with a GOP governor... who will hopefully be sent out the door this November making his presidential aspirations go up in smoke.

Wilsongt

Franken and Dayton post double-digit leads over GOP challengers in a new PPP poll:

They've both been pretty great, so I'm glad to see this reflected in polling. The state has flourished under Dayton (extremely low unemployment rate, extremely low uninsured rate, high budget surplus), unlike a certain other Midwestern state with a GOP governor... who will hopefully be sent out the door this November making his presidential aspirations go up in smoke.

Not if PD has his way.

right on cue:

A Fox News anchor suggested that President Obama captured one of the alleged architects of the September 2012 attack on the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi to boost Hillary Clinton’s presidential prospects.

Speaking on Fox News’ Outnumbered just moments after news broke that the United States had captured Ahmed Abu Khattala, [Lisa Kennedy Montgomery] mused, “you have a former Secretary of State who is in the middle of a high profile book tour, I think this is convenient for her to shift the talking points to some of the things she has been discussing.”
http://thinkprogress.org/world/2014...ect-to-boost-hillarys-presidential-prospects/

benjipwns

Banned
I don't know why Obama is getting so much credit for this when it's strong on defense Republicans who provide the framework for these kind of intelligence successes:
"Guantanamo [is] where we put terrorists, where we apprehend them," McCain told reporters on Capitol Hill. "Where else can you take him to?"

Graham argued that Khattala should be held as an enemy combatant at the detention facility, adding that he was hopeful the suspect would provide "good intelligence."

"We should have some quality time with this guy -- weeks and months," Graham said. "Don't torture him, but have some quality time with him."

Graham suggested that approach was ineffective, noting that bin Laden's son-in-law was only interrogated for 20 hours.

"We should have held him for 20 months," he said. "We're shutting down intelligence gathering, we're turning the war into a crime, and it will bite us in the butt."

Sens. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) and Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) also called on Tuesday for Khattala to be sent to Guantanamo.

"Khatallah is a foreign terrorist, captured by our special forces overseas for his violent attack on a U.S. facility," Cruz said in a statement. "He belongs in Guantanamo and in the military justice system, not in the U.S. civilian court system with the constitutional protections afforded U.S. citizens."

"The Obama administration should immediately transfer him to the military detention center at Guantanamo Bay for detention and interrogation," Rubio said. "In order to locate all individuals associated with the attacks that led to the deaths of four Americans, we need intelligence. That intelligence is often obtained through an interrogation process."

Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R-N.H.), another staunch Benghazi critic, did not join the chorus, but cautioned the administration against worrying about following procedure.

"Rather than rushing to read him his Miranda rights and telling him he has the right to remain silent, I hope the administration will focus on collecting the intelligence necessary to prevent future attacks and to find other terrorists responsible for the Benghazi attacks," Ayotte said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom