• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this in the appropriate thread, but google is having pretty good progress on delivering LTE connections to remote areas through fucking ballons.

In the midst of this net neutrality, this shist is ridiculous and depressing.

http://www.wired.com/2014/06/google-balloons-year-later/

I got depressed when Obama talked about bringing "high speed" internet to rural schools in his SOTU that was really 4 mbps connections at best.

Hey, I am a big fan of the US Women's Soccer team.

GqPJqn9.jpg

:p

EDIT: Seriously though, they are a great team and play very well.

Those outfits are pretty amazing.

Their shoes are red, white, and blue.
Their socks are red, white, and blue.
Their skirts are red, white, and blue.
Their shirts are red, white, and blue.
Their suspenders(?) are red, white, and blue.
Their glasses are red, white, and blue.
Their necklaces are red, white, and blue.
Their bandanas are red, white, and blue.

They are just throwing on more stuff than needed to have red, white, and blue.

http://nypost.com/2014/06/17/state-senate-dems-to-end-power-sharing-with-republicans/

Looks like Democrats are going to retake the Senate majority in New York.

I mean, they technically already have it. But you know, New York Democrats.

FTFY. When an ass like Cuomo is the 3rd or 4th best person involved in a story, ya' know it's bad. New York state politics are this weird hole where corruption, cronyism, and straight-up illegality is just part of the job on both sides of the aisle. And it's been that way, since literally, the 19th century.

I say we bomb Albany and move the capitol to NYC.

Reid Blasts 'Pathetic' GOP Reactions To Benghazi Suspect Capture

"Even in these days of polarization, created by the obstruction, the delay, and diversion of the Republicans, even in these days of polarization, their reaction is shocking and disgusting. They’re so obsessed with criticism, criticizing anything President Obama does. They’ll go so far as to sit here and insult the men and women in uniform and in law enforcement. They should stop and think, just for a little bit, about what it’s like to put your life on the line and to do something for our country -- that’s what they did. They’re insulting these good men and women who did some courageous things, heroic things, in order to criticize President Obama. I think they’ve lost touch with reality; it’s really pathetic, there’s no other word for it."

@MarcACaputo · 2h
Was Amanpour's interview legal before Citizens United? It has the whiff of a massive political contribution

What the hell is this? Former politicians can't have interviews for their memoirs? She's not running yet. The fact that the media has decided for her is now to subject her to campaign laws?

What the hell is this? Former politicians can't have interviews for their memoirs? She's not running yet. The fact that the media has decided for her is now to subject her to campaign laws?

Well if that interview violated Citizen's United then Fox News should have been shut down long ago.

FyreWulff

People are trying to tear her down before she even starts to try and damage the Dem candidate to weaken them for once the Republicans are done eating their young.

I'll lol if they put all this energy into her and some dark horse candidate for the Dems shows up and enters the race relatively unscathed

The GOP has no soul.

They never did, the modern GOP (post-1932) has always been horrible for this country and I laugh when centrist pundits talk about how great it used to be.

This is the same party that gave us Robert Taft (and his fascist Taft-Hartley law that still exists today and no Democratic Pres/Congress has been brave enough to try to undo), Joe McCarthey, the John Birch Society, Goldwater, Nixon, Reagan and the Moral Majority.

benjipwns

Banned
New York state politics are this weird hole where corruption, cronyism, and straight-up illegality is just part of the job on both sides of the aisle. And it's been that way, since literally, the 19th century.
What's weird about that?
I say we bomb Albany and move the capitol to NYC.
See normally I would say something snarky about how NYC is a bastion of corrupt free politics or maybe mention that Tammany Hall is in NYC. However.

The fascist jerkoff Empire State Plaza that Rockefeller built in Albany is so fucking ugly I can see no downside to this. Plus it'd centralize things and cut down on travel costs for most lobbyists and other types since they won't have to travel to "upstate" anymore.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Dunno how to react considering this dude wasn't hiding, he was wide in the open bragging and we didn't pop him until now.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/17/politics/benghazi-suspect/

He and other officials have emphasized that building a criminal case against a terror suspect for an attack in a foreign country is challenging and takes time. A law enforcement source also told CNN that Abu Khatallah went into hiding following media interviews he gave last year.

Seems reasonable enough, since they do seem to be planning to put him on trial in a US civilian court. I know plenty of conservatives out there would have wanted to throw him in guantanamo with no trial a year ago, but I'd rather we'd follow the US justice system that we should be proud of having.

benjipwns

Banned
It's surprising just how polarized Milwaukee and it's suburbs are, but I'm surprised this isn't the case in more cities in that region.

Are Minneapolis', Chicago's, Detroit's, Indianapolis', Cleveland's and Philadelphia's suburbs just as polarized?
Detroit:
Wayne County: 60.20% Bernero, 72.83% Obama, 52.3% white
Oakland County: 60.10% Snyder, 53.40% Obama, 77.3% white
Macomb County: 61.28% Snyder, 51.30% Obama, 85.4% white

Chicago:
Cook County: 64.38% Quinn, 73.88% Obama, 55.4% white
DuPage County: 54.31% Brady, 49.73% Obama, 77.9% white
Lake County: 50.10% Brady, 53.48% Obama, 80.1% white
Will County: 50.29% Brady, 51.85% Obama, 81.8% white
Kane County: 53.79% Brady, 49.71% Obama, 79.3% white

Philadelphia:
Philadelphia County: 82.89% Onorato, 85.24% Obama, 45.0% white
Delaware County: 52.78% Onorato, 60.16% Obama, 71.1% white
Bucks County: 55.27% Corbett, 50.00% Obama, 86.6% white
Montgomery County: 51.71% Onorato, 56.52% Obama, 79.0% white
Berks County: 59.34% Corbett, 49.63% Romney, 76.9% white
Chester County: 55.96% Corbett, 49.43% Romney, 82.1% white
Lancaster County: 71.10% Corbett, 58.50% Romney, 91.5% white
Lehigh County: 54.95% Corbett, 53.17% Obama, 71.6% white
Northhampton County: 54.19% Corbett, 51.59% Obama, 81.0% white

Dunno how to react considering this dude wasn't hiding, he was wide in the open bragging and we didn't pop him until now.
He was not hiding, but he was surrounded by AK wielding militiamen. It was impossible to extract him without making a huge international incident, so they waited for the right moment all the while building a slam dunk prosecution. NYT says the feds took the security camera footage of the embassy in Benghazi after it was attacked, and they say there's footage of Khattalah in it.

Of course if you hear fox news Obama was waiting to capture Khattalah in order to coincide with Hillary's book tour.

Aaron

Also, what abortion doctor has killed more babies than GOD? And GOD brags about it.

Jesus also told people to pay their taxes. Man, the GOP must hate that guy.

benjipwns

Banned
Actually found precinct maps for the Twin Cities rather than just using the county data, I'm pretty sure most of the cities except Indianapolis are going to look like this.

President:
rKIfDZe.png

House:
tYdzJbG.png

I did not include the Senate because it was a landslide.

benjipwns

Banned
This is 2008 for the midwest area, Red = 60+% republican, yellow = 50+% republican, green = 50+% democrat, light blue = 60+% democrat, darker blue or purple = 80+% democrat.

full picture is 2629x2039 said:

image583.jpg
image539.jpg

What he did in the period just before the attack has remained unclear. But Mr. Abu Khattala told other Libyans in private conversations during the night of the attack that he was moved to attack the diplomatic mission to take revenge for an insult to Islam in an American-made online video.

An earlier demonstration venting anger over the video outside the American Embassy in Cairo had culminated in a breach of its walls, and it dominated Arab news coverage. Mr. Abu Khattala told both fellow Islamist fighters and others that the attack in Benghazi was retaliation for the same insulting video, according to people who heard him.

In an interview days after the attack, he pointedly declined to say whether he believed an offense such as the anti-Islamic video might indeed warrant the destruction of the diplomatic mission or the killing of the ambassador. “From a religious point of view, it is hard to say whether it is good or bad,” he said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/18/w...n-to-answer-questions-on-assault.html?hp&_r=0

So, the talking points were mostly right, eh!?!?!?

benjipwns

Banned
Actually found a Michigan 2012 one down to the township/city level:
pe2012mi_town.png

The dark red in the lower right corner is Detroit, the large red splotch to the North is the Flint-Saginaw-Bay City area, Lansing is the nearby smaller red splotch to the southeast. The tiny red surrounded by a sea of dark blue to the east is downtown Grand Rapids surrounded by the rest of the area.

pe2012mi_town.png

The dark red in the lower right corner is Detroit, the large red splotch to the North is the Flint-Saginaw-Bay City area, Lansing is the nearby smaller red splotch to the southeast. The tiny red surrounded by a sea of dark blue to the east is downtown Grand Rapids surrounded by the rest of the area.
Hm. I guess if land could vote, Democrats would still win.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
pe2012mi_town.png

1. Who in the world thought it would be a good idea to make republicans blue and democrats red? When has that ever made sense?

2. This is why Michigan has no hope for the future. The republicans have a supermajority in the state senate and will for decades. The Tea Party is HUGE in northern Michigan and the upper peninsula.

codhand

just read the Cheney WSJ editorial
really upbeat and positive
almost would describe as "cheery"

also, to finally get the guy responsible for Benghazi and Drudge reads "Mother of Victim: What Took So Long?"

benjipwns

Banned
1. Who in the world thought it would be a good idea to make republicans blue and democrats red? When has that ever made sense?
It was taken from Dave Leip's forums, his site uses that GOP = blue system because when the site was first created in 1992 that's what color the networks used for Republicans.

Originally, the networks employed a variety of schemes (the incumbents are blue, or they would switch each color each election, etc.) and the Republicans were infamously blue in 1976 and 1980. A lot of magazines always had the GOP blue. But 2000 locked the red state/blue state thing in permanently at a cultural level.

I applaud Mr. Leip's refusal to give in to the media-color-fascists-industrial-academic complex.

Joe Molotov

It was taken from Dave Leip's forums, his site uses that GOP = blue system because when the site was first created in 1992 that's what color the networks used for Republicans.

Originally, the networks employed a variety of schemes (the incumbents are blue, or they would switch each color each election, etc.) and the Republicans were infamously blue in 1976 and 1980. A lot of magazines always had the GOP blue. But 2000 locked the red state/blue state thing in permanently at a cultural level.

I applaud Mr. Leip's refusal to give in to the media-color-fascists-industrial-academic complex.

62tUAGj.jpg

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Really? Seems like an elitist who thinks he's too good for our shared cultural shorthand to me.

Wilsongt

Looks like PD has taken over Chuck Todd's body.

With fresh poll numbers at his disposal, Chuck Todd was ready Wednesday to perform the last rites of Barack Obama's presidency.

"I mean, essentially the public is saying your presidency is over," Todd said on "Morning Joe," referring to the latest NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll.

The survey, which Todd characterized as "a disaster for the President," certainly has some lousy top lines for Obama — a possible indication that the recent string of foreign policy challenges has taken a political toll.

At 37 percent, his job approval on foreign policy — long a source of political strength — has cratered to the lowest of his presidency. Fifty-three percent disapprove of his job performance overall.

The poll also found a majority, 54 percent, no longer believes that Obama "is able to lead the country and get the job done."

Naturally, National Journal's Ron Fournier felt vindicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom