• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if Christie and Walker are eliminated from 2016 which I am 100% sure they will be, who is the next in line? Jeb Bush? What about Mike Huck-a-baby?

Technically didn't Jeb Bush eliminate himself awhile ago, but perhaps best demonstrated last month by his comment that many illegal immigrants who break the law do so out of love (to take care of their family)?

It's gonna be real funny when he flip flops on Common Core.

benjipwns

Banned

benjipwns

Banned
Republican voters in New Hampshire are apparently still ready for Mitt.

According to a Suffolk University/Boston Herald poll released Thursday, 24 percent of the likely New Hampshire Republican electorate would vote for Mitt Romney in the state’s 2016 GOP presidential primary. Every other potential candidate received less than ten percent of the vote, with New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie coming in second with just over nine percent.

When Romney was not listed as a possible candidate, Christie and Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul were the top vote-getters, at 11 percent. Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush and Texas Sen. Ted Cruz came in third and fourth at 8 percent. But when the survey asked voters the same question but with Romney’s name added, the race became a blowout, with the former nominee receiving more than double the votes than any other candidate.
https://www.suffolk.edu/documents/SUPRC/6_19_2014_marginals.pdf

Technically didn't Jeb Bush eliminate himself awhile ago, but perhaps best demonstrated last month by his comment that many illegal immigrants who break the law do so out of love (to take care of their family)?

It's gonna be real funny when he flip flops on Common Core.
Flip flopping is pretty much a given and not a deal breaker. Mitt Romney flipflopped on every policy imaginable yet still got around 50 mil votes. Only true believers are resistant to it.

benjipwns

Banned
Longtime Alaska Rep. Don Young improperly used campaign funds for personal use, accepted "impermissible" gifts and failed to report those gifts, the House Ethics Committee announced Friday.

Young has to repay nearly $60,000 to his campaign, and donors, the Ethics Committee said. He has also been reprimanded by the committee.

The Ethics Committee said that Young, who has represented Alaska in the House since 1973, accepted improper "gifts and expenses related to" 15 hunting trips. The trips occurred between 2001 and 2013, the Ethics Committee said.
So much for his re-election campaign.

also, lol at having to "repay" his "campaign"

Please? Democrats have been trying to bump him off for a while.

You know a big part of 2006 turning out the way it did was thanks to numerous Republican scandals that brought down the party's image as a whole.

benjipwns

Banned
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...emocratic-primaries-the-left-advances/372990/
lead.jpg

This year’s Republican primaries have been closely watched by pundits sifting for clues about the relative primacy of the GOP’s warring factions. But Democrats have primaries too—and this year, the left is winning many of them.

National liberals point to a handful of recent contested primaries where candidates from the party’s “Elizabeth Warren wing” beat moderate “corporate Democrats” to argue that the left wing is on the rise. It's a similar dynamic to the Tea Party-vs.-establishment divide on the right, though far less divisive, and a trend that has the potential to quietly reshape the Democratic Party if it continues.

In New Jersey, Bonnie Watson Coleman, a former assemblywoman who campaigned on raising taxes on millionaires to spend more on education, had been thought to be in a close race with a moderate state senator, Linda Greenstein. Instead, Coleman won the primary by a double-digit margin.

In Iowa, Pat Murphy, a former state representative, aired TV ads that dubbed him a “bold progressive.” He beat out four opponents, taking 37 percent to his nearest competitor's 24 percent.

Victories like these have led the Progressive Change Campaign Committee to declare vindication for its view that Democrats win when they campaign on a platform of muscular liberalism. “A message of economic populism is what actually excites voters and drives them to the polls,” Adam Green, PCCC’s co-founder, told me. “Democrats are shooting themselves in the foot if they don’t embrace it.”

PCCC supported the winning candidates in these races and funneled donations to them. The group also supported an incumbent California congressman, Mike Honda, who faced a challenge from a former Obama administration appointee, Ro Khanna; Honda finished 22 points ahead of Khanna, but the two will face off again in November thanks to California's nonpartisan primary system. And in a fourth primary, the free-for-all battle for the California seat vacated by retiring Representative Henry Waxman, the group didn’t endorse a candidate but urged its members to vote against former Los Angeles Controller Wendy Greuel, a former Republican whom they painted as supported by corporate interests. Greuel lost to Ted Lieu, whose message of raising wages and easing student debt progressives applauded.

Coleman, who is poised to become the first African-American woman to represent New Jersey in Congress, said primary voters appreciated her clear stands on issues. “Some of the equivocation of Democrats has created confusion for people,” she told reporters on a recent conference call. “People need to know what their choices are and why. And that’s what progressives do. We stand up for what we believe is right, irrespective of the risk associated with any political outcome to us.”

Murphy noted that he campaigned on a higher minimum wage, equal pay for women, and his role in creating universal preschool in Iowa. “If that’s being a liberal’s liberal, then I guess I am,” he said, adding that he considered it simply “things that are good for the state, good for Iowa, and quite frankly good for the country.”

It may not seem surprising that liberals would win Democratic primaries, but the PCCC’s endorsed candidates have not had a great track record in the past, possibly because liberals do not dominate the Democratic Party the way conservatives do the GOP. Progressives hope victories like these, along with the ascendance of Warren and New York Mayor Bill de Blasio, are a sign that’s beginning to shift and a more muscular liberalism is reasserting itself in the Democratic ranks.

Fortunately for Democrats, these internal fights don’t seem poised to hurt the party the way Republicans’ primary battles have nationally. The primaries in question were all for safe Democratic seats, so national Democrats aren’t concerned that far-left nominees will then lose general elections. Tough Democratic primaries are still much rarer than the GOP’s brutal internecine contests. But progressives believe notching such small victories is slowly, surely pushing the party to the left.
why would you write a whole story where you almost negate the premise in the last paragraph lol

Cochran Asking Blacks to Rescue Him in Republican Primary

JACKSON, Miss. — Bishop Ronnie C. Crudup stood before roughly a dozen of his colleagues at a weekly Baptist fellowship meeting last week and asked for their help in a fight that, until now, would have been unthinkable for a black pastor in Mississippi: “Let’s send Senator Thad Cochran back to Washington,” he urged.

That Senator Cochran is a Republican and African-Americans here are overwhelmingly Democratic did not go unmentioned. But, Mr. Crudup noted with a wry smile, “in tough times, you’ve got to do some unusual things.”

lol southern strategy

Crisco

Banned
You know, I think this Iraq situation will end up being a net positive for the Obama WH and maybe Democrats during the midterms. It'll remind everyone of just how bad of a mess Bush left Obama.

Browsing this thread gets more awesome if you install the Greenhouse plugin for your browser of choice:

http://allaregreen.us/

A free browser extension for Chrome, Firefox, and Safari that exposes the role money plays in Congress. Displays on any web page detailed campaign contribution data for every Senator and Representative, including total amount received and breakdown by industry and by size of donation. Puts vital data where it’s most relevant so you can discover the real impact of money on our political system.

Campaign finance is so damn shady. It really is out of control and has been for years. And not only are we now allowing pretty much unlimited money, we've largely lost control of transparency such that so much of the money is hidden.

And this is definitely a 'both sides of the aisle' issue. (Though the amounts are probably not equal.)

You know, I think this Iraq situation will end up being a net positive for the Obama WH and maybe Democrats during the midterms. It'll remind everyone of just how bad of a mess Bush left Obama.

It certainly might. It really depends on how it plays out though. If it drags out, it could be ugly. But the Iraq army might turn this around with a little help from us and/or Iran.

Some possible good things:
-Brings Bush mess back into view
-All the old wrong statements from people come back (although this hits Hillary too).
-For those that criticizing pulling out or advocate going back in, it reveals deficit & debt hypocrisy (You can't claim that both the debt and pouring money into Iraq are both high priorities since they contradict each other).

Very interesting. I don't think democrats have a shot in fucking Mississippi, and can understand this. The last thing any black person wants is a straight up racist sympathizer as their senator.
I think Democrats would have maybe a 1% chance of winning Mississippi if it were Childers against the teabagger. However I'm still kind of hoping it happens just to see the dynamics of such a race.

benjipwns

Banned
Campaign finance is so damn shady. It really is out of control and has been for years. And not only are we now allowing pretty much unlimited money, we've largely lost control of transparency such that so much of the money is hidden.

And this is definitely a 'both sides of the aisle' issue. (Though the amounts are probably not equal.)
Author is libertarianish/conservative, but this is a good book that describes a "best of" the gimmicks:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0544103343/?tag=neogaf0e-20

That 60 Minutes piece I linked a few pages back was contributed to by information from him. Where the candidates were giving loans to their campaign/PACs then charging 18+% interest and their campaigns were never paying off the loan.

His one about insider trading/land deals/etc. is pretty good too: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B1LCJK6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

EDIT: The pretty awesome 60 Minutes segment/transcript:
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/washingtons-open-secret-profitable-pacs/
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/when-steve-kroft-knocks/

Trevor Potter: What you see more often is that members will keep the leadership PAC and they will use it in retirement for everything that is vaguely a political expense. If they become a lobbyist, which about half of members who leave Congress do nowadays, that becomes their lobbying slush fund. So it just keeps going, at least until death.

Steve Kroft: And even beyond death.

Trevor Potter: Well, even beyond death, someone else is spending that money.

When Republican Congressman Paul Gillmor of Ohio died suddenly from a heart attack in 2007, his staff decided that no political contribution should go unspent.

Trevor Potter: What we know is that the staff went off to a number of dinners and pizza parties and other events using the leadership PAC money. What they said was, 'Well, it's a grieving process. And also, we need to talk to each other about getting new jobs, and this is a way to do it.'

Very interesting. I don't think democrats have a shot in fucking Mississippi, and can understand this. The last thing any black person wants is a straight up racist sympathizer as their senator.

Well . . . in the long term, a racist sympathizer may be a good thing for them due to the damage it will do to the GOP.

Well . . . in the long term, a racist sympathizer may be a good thing for them due to the damage it will do to the GOP.
Also, as far as voting record is concerned, I can't imagine there will be much of a difference between Cochran and McDaniels. I think this is a wild goose chase for Republicans.

benjipwns

Banned
Um that doesn't negate the premise at all. These primaries are pushing dems left in safe seats. Its changing the party.

By your logic we shouldn't care about cantors defeat because brat will win
All three of the examples were for not just safe, but open seats, not challenges to incumbents let alone challenges to incumbents in competitive seats.

benjipwns

Banned
Is Obama a member of the Elizabeth Warren wing of the Democratic Party? Is Hillary?

campaigned on raising taxes on millionaires to spend more on education,... whom they painted as supported by corporate interests. .... message of raising wages and easing student debt ... campaigned on a higher minimum wage, equal pay for women, and his role in creating universal preschool

benjipwns

Banned
As an aside the phrase "Elizabeth Warren wing" reminds me of Howard Dean's "Democratic wing" phrasing. When he was probably on domestic issues to the "right" of everyone else in the primary.

I wonder how much traction it's going to get especially as the 2016 race starts gearing up. Schweitzer should adopt it.

As an aside the phrase "Elizabeth Warren wing" reminds me of Howard Dean's "Democratic wing" phrasing. When he was probably on domestic issues to the "right" of everyone else in the primary.

I wonder how much traction it's going to get especially as the 2016 race starts gearing up. Schweitzer should adopt it.

Yeah because that worked out well for Howard Dean.

benjipwns

Banned
Certainly not with the changes to the Voting Rights act last year. I hear one of the new qualifications to vote is that you have to be able to spell "disenfranchisement."
I believe the top of the ballot states "Please spell 'dissenfenchisamant' before proceeding:"

http://freebeacon.com/columns/hillarys-people/

troll conservative outlet is mad that people don't care about their scoop™ and of course this means conspiracy because they investigated romney's bullying.

No matter your view of Hillary Clinton, no matter your position on legal ethics, the recording of the Reed interview is news. It tells us something we did not already know. It tells us that, when her guard was down, Clinton found the whole disturbing incident a trifling and joking matter. And the fact that so many supposedly sophisticated and au courant journalists and writers have dismissed the story as nothing more than an attorney “doing her job” is, I think, equally disturbing. Dana Bash to the contrary notwithstanding, Hillary Clinton was not forced to take on Taylor as a client. It was her choice—and not, for her, a hard one. Certainly that complicates our understanding of the former first lady as an unrelenting defender and advocate of women and girls.
Do these people really realize how little credibility they have writing these lines? the Freebeacon is a bunch of nerdy 20-30 year old conservatives who get off trolling. and think a of the cuff laugh is evidence Hilary might harbor sympathy for child rapists. Yeah, I dare the GOP to run on that,. They're clueless why they can't win unmarried women voters.
If it is fair to attack a candidate because he used to travel with the family dog on the roof of his car, because he may have forcibly subjected a fellow student to a haircut, then it is entirely fair, it is more than fair, to attack a candidate for defending the rapist of a 12-year-old girl, and for laughing about it a decade later.
This implies exercising and defending consitutional rights might disqualify one from office. remember constitutional conservatism™

benjipwns

Banned
I've heard they already turned on her when they found out she's just another right-wing corporate stooge. This is probably just the nail in the coffin.

Wilsongt

If they have to go all the way back to 1975, they are just reaching.

Then again, the GOP has no problems going back to the past when people were attorneys and dragging shit up to smear them with.

benjipwns

Banned
Kerry was making Vietnam a big part of his campaign and some were trying to make Bush's Vietnam service a big deal so I can see why that went beyond a kerfuffle. I expect Hillary was planning on centering her campaign around her time working in a law office in the 1970s before her husband got elected to anything but this scandal probably has them scrambling over at Hilldog's headquarters, likely having to completely reorganize the roll out strategy.

Piecake

Another reason why ranked voting would be an improvement. Every democrat could list Cochran 3rd and basically ensure that no insane people get elected

Chumly

I think this just highlights how fucking ridiculous this IRS investigation is. The decision was made three fucking years ago way before any McCarthyism Investigation by the house. We have all of her emails afterwards in addition they have pieced together significant amount of emails during the period of the crash. Yet as you can see they DESPERATELY want this to be the next watergate scandal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom