• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

This almost makes me hope that the Tea Party should have the 90% of the house, senate, and Rand Paul win the presidency for eight years. American economy crumbles and the Democrats dominate.

What makes you think there'd be an America left after eight years of Tea Party control? It seems their end game is to completely dissolve the government as we know it, I think all that would be left after two terms of unopposed Tea Party rule would be a loose Confederacy of States at best.

That or irradiated ash.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
No, Mr. Brownback, I don't want that to fail. I would love for it to succeed. Who wouldn't want to pay less taxes and have the economy prosper?

I just do some arithmetic and conclude that I don't believe that such a tactic works in most cases.

Remember, those articles are discussing state government revenues, not economic performance.

not sure if i've already posted something along this line, but could anyone give me a rundown on why this IRS/Lois Lerner thing really is (or isn't) that much of a scandal?

Bizzity

Hi PoliGAF, I follow this thread, but don't post in it, you are all far more informed than I am. I'm looking for an opinion that is a bit political in nature. It concerns using EBT (Food Stamps) to buy energy drinks. I've seen lots of thoughts on this subject on Facebook and the like, and the other night had a discussion at work with someone about it. She was outraged that people would do that, etc. At any rate, I posted the following status on Facebook, without mention names or anything, not to any particular person.

I'm sick of these damn poors thinking they can spend MY tax dollars on luxurious energy drinks. They do not have the privilege of enjoying sugar and caffeine. I hope to hell they can't buy soda or coffee either. Ice cream, candy, potato chips? These are hardly necessities. A frozen pizza has as much nutrition as a cardboard box. These people should just be sent a box of unflavored gruel every week to feed their family. Get a higher paying job you poors! There's plenty of them out there until then enjoy your gruel and quit being so lazy.

This was very tongue in cheek and satirical. However, the co worker that I had the discussion with got pissed and posted a few angry comments which I deleted. Was this out of line satire in the politcal debate?

benjipwns

Banned
This was very tongue in cheek and satirical. However, the co worker that I had the discussion with got pissed and posted a few angry comments which I deleted. Was this out of line satire in the politcal debate?
Yes, in fact any kind of satire or sarcasm is out of line in politics and the discussion of politics. I don't know how much you know about politics (I'm an expert) but honor and shame are huge parts of it.

To even think about making light of any political topic is something most respectable individuals feel they need to apologize for. But even more important probably is the fact that in political debate it is absolutely essential to win. Until the other person has given up their fantastical and deluded worldview backing down is not an option, there is too much at stake. It's a zero sum game because there are two and only two sides of any issue and each side advances at the expensive of the other. Showing any kind of weakness by not staying in the ring until they're dead means that their side has won. And not only have you lost, but America has lost, and quite frankly, humanity has lost.

Bizzity

Thanks for the vindication guys. Not that I necessarily think buying energy drinks on a limited food budget is a wise decision, but I don't think opening that door and telling people what they should or should not buy is a good decision at all.

Too bad the dem who wins will get blamed as things crumble, and the republican legislature will refuse to work with him.
Hmm, that sounds familiar

Kansas' politics are a little different though in the sense that the Republican Party has two factions, a moderate faction and a hardcore teabagger faction. I don't mean there are like 2-3 members of those sides and the rest are mainstream, I mean this is a legitimate divide that's driving down Brownback's numbers (who's affiliated with the tea party). If a Democrat became governor it can reasonably be assumed he'll be able to accomplish some stuff with the legislature.

KingK

Did anyone else watch Chris Hayes tonight? I've been watching The Wire this month for the first time and just finished a week ago, and tonight's episode was basically The Wire in Chicago summarized in 40 minutes. I mean, I knew the Wire had to be pretty realistic, but it was scary how every minute of his reporting on Chicago tonight reminded me of another episode of The Wire. He even mentioned the show once. Great reporting by Hayes, and validation for The Wire changing my worldview on police and City politics.

Angry Fork

Come on. There have been plenty of democratic communist countries like

Depending on how you define communism: Venezuela if they deepen the Bolivarian Revolution and remove the right wing power structures, which I don't think they will but we'll see, the Paris Commune, beginning of the 2nd spanish republic, if you count various towns/commune's then Marinaleda in Spain. Then there's what could have been with Russia without the civil war/Stalin's ascendance, Chile without the right wing coup, France in 1968, etc. It's not a long list obviously but there are pieces here and there.

It's kind of hard to keep it afloat though when literally the majority of the planet tries to kill you to prevent you from doing what you want with your country if banks and corps don't have access anymore. That's like the only per-requisite now to be accepted by the international community. If you're nice to private bankers you can stay, it doesn't matter what else you do to your people.

Article said:
"What we are seeing today is the effect of tax increases implemented by the Obama administration that resulted in lower income tax payments and a depressed business environment," Gov. Sam Brownback said in a statement.

Read that a few times and let it boggle your mind.

I don't know much about Brownback, but I'm pretty sure that if I ever saw him, my first words would be "Are you a fucking idiot?"

The three Republican candidates running to replace Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer (she is not running due to term limits) are campaigning on promises to eliminate the state’s income tax. But, Gov. Brewer has made it clear she does not support such extreme ideas. From the Arizona Daily Star: “I think that you need a balance,” she said in an interview with Capitol Media Services. Beyond that, Brewer said it’s an illusion to sell the idea that eliminating the state income tax somehow would mean overall lower taxes. She said the needs remain: “It’s going to come from all of us, one way or the other.”

oh-sheeeet.gif.gif

Holy shit when Jan Fucking Brewer starts to sound reasonable, you know you have some issues.

Obama dictator confirmed
this is literally the talking point on he right

Anyways it was the right decision. The only thing I'm iffy on is the house forcing pro forma sessions. Don't know why one house can force the other to act.

Any ways the problem is the GOP abusing perfectly good rules for their obstructionist policies. But you don't fix that by assuming new powers to dictate when another branch is doing their work.

FyreWulff

Yeah, the letter of the law was upheld. If this is to be changed, then an amendment needs to be passed that clearly defines what a recess is.

Metaphoreus

Fuck.

NBC says the opinion was unanimous.

Technical correction: the Court was unanimous in judgment, but there were two opinions. The liberal wing plus Kennedy comprised the majority opinion (written by Breyer), and the conservative wing had a concurring opinion (written by Scalia).

And in other unanimous-Supreme-Court-judgment news, the Court holds that the Massachusetts abortion clinic buffer zone law violates the First Amendment.

Yeah, the letter of the law was upheld. If this is to be changed, then an amendment needs to be passed that clearly defines what a recess is.
The decision pretty much does.

If the senate can do work they're in session. They passed things with unanimous consent on the pro forma sessions.

Technical correction: the Court was unanimous in judgment, but there were two opinions. The liberal wing plus Kennedy comprised the majority opinion (written by Breyer), and the conservative wing had a concurring opinion (written by Scalia).

And in other unanimous-Supreme-Court-judgment news, the Court holds that the Massachusetts abortion clinic buffer zone law violates the First Amendment.

The major holding in the abortion case is correct (the law burdens speech more than is needed, the purpose is served by less restrictive means) but some of the assumptions are laughable.

Yes, in fact any kind of satire or sarcasm is out of line in politics and the discussion of politics. I don't know how much you know about politics (I'm an expert) but honor and shame are huge parts of it.

To even think about making light of any political topic is something most respectable individuals feel they need to apologize for. But even more important probably is the fact that in political debate it is absolutely essential to win. Until the other person has given up their fantastical and deluded worldview backing down is not an option, there is too much at stake. It's a zero sum game because there are two and only two sides of any issue and each side advances at the expensive of the other. Showing any kind of weakness by not staying in the ring until they're dead means that their side has won. And not only have you lost, but America has lost, and quite frankly, humanity has lost.

This post was a rollercoaster of understanding. You were joking, weren't joking, were joking.....ok, still joking.

By the way, hi PoliGaf. Been lurking and probably won't contribute much but this place is nice to follow.

Wilsongt

So, I was listening to Fox News this morning, because I hate myself obviously, and apparently one of Lois Lerner's e-mails dealt with auditing a GOP congressman: Chuck Grassley.

Now, of course, the GOP came to defend him and said there was absolutely no reason to audit him except for the fact that the IRS "hates the GOP"... Well, I remember reading this story a couple of days ago...

Grassley's Hunt For An Obama Insider Trading Scandal Backfires On GOP

Early last year, Wall Street traders somehow found out that the Obama administration planned to make a policy change to Medicare before the news was even announced.

The flurry of stock trades in major health care companies that followed has since caught the eye of federal law enforcement as well as Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA), who has made investigating the matter one of his pet projects on the Senate Finance and Judiciary committees. In his search, Grassley has gone as far as to cast suspicion on the Obama administration as the source of the leak.

But in a twist, the Wall Street Journal reported last week that federal regulators and law enforcement officials have now focused their attention on a Republican health policy staffer in the House. A lawsuit filed on Friday by the Securities and Exchange Commission, first reported by the Journal, said investigators believe the staffer "may have been" the source of the leak. It also sought to force the staffer to turn over records to investigators, something he and the committee have reportedly refused to do despite being handed subpoenas.

The SEC lawsuit alleges that the House staffer, Brian Sutter, spoke with a lobbyist -- identified by the Journal as Mark Hayes, who happens to be a former aide to Grassley -- on the day of the leak. The suit alleges that Sutter was in touch with Hayes by both email and phone and that they discussed the upcoming Medicare policy change. Hayes then allegedly gave the information to a research firm, which distributed the flash that set off the trading, according to the SEC. A 2012 law, the Stop Trading on Congressional Knowledge Act, prohibits government officials from disclosing non-public information that could affect stock prices, the Wall Street Journal reported.

Grassley's office declined to comment to TPM about the latest development. He has also reportedly made inquiries into whether an aide to Sen. Orrin Hatch, his senior colleague on the Senate Finance Committee, had any role in the leak. Additionally, according to Politico, he has raised questions about Hayes’s role in the leaks. But the Obama administration appears to have been Grassley's initial and most public target when trying to identify the source of the leak.

Grassley has had suspicions about leaks from the Obama administration regarding health policy changes since at least 2011. For example, in a letter dated Dec. 12, 2011, the senator brought up his hunch with Marilyn Tavenner, who was then acting administrator of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.

Grassley’s letter said he was in contact with a “whistleblower within CMS” who had accused top administration officials of meeting with lobbyists and hedge fund brokers in non-public settings.

"My concern is that these allegations suggest a continuing pattern in which (administration) officials ... under the cover of reaching out and meeting with stakeholders, have disseminated information to well-connected lobbyists in non-public settings," he wrote.

Grassley’s suspicions were heightened in April 2013 when the Wall Street Journal broke the news about the stock trades that followed the leak of the Medicare policy change. The change reversed proposed funding cuts for private insurers and the leak became a market-moving event. Grassley sent a letter to Tavenner the day after the article was published, saying the incident "raises questions regarding political intelligence brokers’ ability to gather information from CMS in order to predict market moving events" and invoked his December 2011 inquiry.

Grassley took an even more forceful tone at a Senate hearing less than a week later. In the hearing, for Tavenner's confirmation to permanently take the administrator’s role, Grassley spent the entirety of his allotted time peppering her with questions about the leak.

"When information leaks from the administration that has the ability to cause significant market movement, it is wrong and quite possibly illegal," he said. He pointed to the litany of agencies where the leak could have come from -- including the White House itself -- and intimated that Tavenner might have trouble getting to the bottom of the issue given that the leak might lie deep within the administration.

"I obviously do not believe that you can get the folks at (Health and Human Services) or (the Office of Management and Budget) or the White House without some help, so I am going to pursue this," he said. "So you inform them that, if this is beyond CMS, I expect action to be taken, and I am going to get to the bottom of it one way or the other."

Meanwhile, the Justice Department has opened a criminal probe, and the Securities and Exchange Commission is pursuing a civil enforcement action, both in an attempt to get to the bottom of the leak.

On Thursday, the Wall Street Journal reported that Sutter, the top Republican health staffer on the House Ways and Means Committee, had been subpoenaed by both. The Justice Department wants Sutter to testify before a grand jury in Manhattan federal court. The SEC was seeking records from him as well as the House committee.

In a follow-up article on Saturday, the Journal reported the SEC had filed a lawsuit after Sutter and the committee refused to comply with its subpoenas. House lawyers, according to the SEC, had argued that the Constitution protected them from having to comply with the subpoenas. But as part of the suit, the SEC said that it had reason to believe Sutter “may have been" the source of the leak.

A spokesperson for the House Ways and Means Committee declined to comment. The counsel's office for the House, which is representing both Sutter and the committee in the lawsuit, told TPM that the subpoenas "run seriously afoul of the Constitution's Speech or Debate Clause, and we expect to respond in due course on that ground, among others." Hayes did not return a call or email seeking comment.

So, while Grassley was on a witchhunt against the White House, someone close to him may have been the source of the leak which led to the insider trading.

Maybe not a "smoking gun" against him, but well within the realm of suspicion.

Also, Todd Akins has shit to say:

Former Rep. Todd Akin (R-MO), whose Senate campaign went down in flames after he claimed the female body could shut down a pregnancy in a case of "legitimate rape," slammed Hillary Clinton's treatment of sexual assault victims in an interview published Thursday.

"Hillary Clinton, in fact, has made a practice of trashing women with legitimate claims to having been assaulted," Akin told the Daily Mail's David Martosko.

The conservative Washington Free Beacon recently published audio recordings in which Clinton discussed a 1975 child rape case where she represented the defendant. Clinton's comments on the recordings suggest that she thought her client was guilty even after he passed a polygraph test. The Daily Beast later spoke with the victim, who said Clinton "took me through hell" and "lied like a dog."

"It is incredibly hypocritical that Hillary Clinton would carry on about an imagined 'Republican war on women' when she once got a child rapist off the hook who she knew to be guilty, and laughed about how she did it when interviewed," Akin told the Daily Mail. "In the process, she de-legitimized the legitimate claims of the 12-year-old victim and then slandered the victim to justify her tactics."

Daily Fail.

Metaphoreus said:
Remember, those articles are discussing state government revenues, not economic performance.

Yes. Feel free to quote any part you think I may have overlooked.

Note that I didn't overlook this: "one of the state's largest industries, aviation manufacturing, struggles."

Interesting. From the first 3 paragraphs of the article I cited:
By MARK PETERS and DAMIAN PALETTA CONNECT
Updated June 10, 2014 9:06 p.m. ET
TOPEKA, Kan.—Two years ago, Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback laid out an aggressive program of tax cuts to turn this slow-growing state into a Texas-like economic powerhouse—and serve as a model for Republican leaders in other states.

So far, the results are serving as more of a warning than a beacon. Employment growth is below the national average, while Kansas faces plunging revenue, dwindling reserves and a rare debt downgrade.

The Republican governor says his policies need time to trickle through the economy and that other states should use his example to show how lower income taxes can spur private-sector expansion. But neighboring states that once thought of keeping pace with Mr. Brownback aren't mimicking the cuts—and are enjoying about the same job growth. Those that have cut taxes have done so more slowly and often with an eye on keeping tax revenue from slipping.
(The other articles cited by others include more such info on economic performance.)

The effect is known as 'confirmation bias'. You don't see what you don't want to see.

Depending on how you define communism: Venezuela if they deepen the Bolivarian Revolution and remove the right wing power structures, which I don't think they will but we'll see, the Paris Commune, beginning of the 2nd spanish republic, if you count various towns/commune's then Marinaleda in Spain. Then there's what could have been with Russia without the civil war/Stalin's ascendance, Chile without the right wing coup, France in 1968, etc. It's not a long list obviously but there are pieces here and there.

It's kind of hard to keep it afloat though when literally the majority of the planet tries to kill you to prevent you from doing what you want with your country if banks and corps don't have access anymore. That's like the only per-requisite now to be accepted by the international community. If you're nice to private bankers you can stay, it doesn't matter what else you do to your people.

Venezuela - Crumbling country that, while still democratic, has had its free press eroded over time.

Paris Commune - Contrary to its name it wasn't communist at all. It was essentially capitalist but with a sizable cooperative owned markets. It also lasted only two months.

Anarchist Spain - I could give you this one as the city of Catalonia was functional, however many of the surrounding anarchist communities around it represented North Korea more than a utopia. But that's what anarchism gets you due to the fact that every community has their own government (or lack of).

Russia - Keyphrase "could have been".

Chile - Pinochet was a dick but Allende sent Chile's economy into chaos. Inflation being the primary problem.

France 1968 - It was protest that brought the French economy to a standstill.

Really, the most positive examples you can give is Tito's Yugoslavia (an authoritarian state that failed once they started accumulating too much foreign debt in the 80s) and Sankara's Burkina Faso (a short lived authoritarian state).

(The other articles cited by others include more such info on economic performance.)
And before he plays the "I was referring to things such as GDP growth" card.

Metaphoreus

So, tell me, since you know, is the Kansas economy doing well, or poorly? Are new jobs being created, or are existing jobs being lost? How does the rate of job growth or loss compare with past years? What is the mean or median income of a Kansas resident, and how does it compare to past years? Are sales of goods up, or down, compared with prior years?

I'll concede that the facts that employment growth "is below the national average" and not dissimilar from neighboring states are relevant to economic performance. But they don't provide much ground for concluding anything about the state of the Kansas economy, because they concern a single measure of economic performance and lack all historical context. As I said, these articles discuss state government revenues, not economic performance.

EDIT:

Remember, my comment concerned articles already posted. That other articles might show information supporting the conclusion that the Kansas economy is floundering--and even your article lacks historical context--is not a rebuttal to my initial comment.

Also remember that you can direct your comments about me, to me.

Sales of Hillary's book have fallen by 40% in second week. PD you were supposed to be buying them all!

Her book completely bombed apparently. I really think she should have waited until 2015 to release a book, and her tour has been a disaster. The other argument is that this book doesn't really reveal anything people are interested in, whereas the literary classic Living History was quite comprehensive.

BTW it highlights one of the biggest problems I noticed in 2008: the Clintons still think they're smarter than everyone, and they seem to think media stories disappear today as they did in 1992, before the internet/non stop media. She claimed that her family was "broke" which of course rustled the jimmies of conservatives looking for any weakness, and a media more than willing to play along. Instead of explaining it away with a joke, she argued the family isn't particularly well off...as reports of them dodging estate taxes leaked. Then Bill Clinton came out and reinforced her statement.

It's the type of shit Obama would play off with a joke, thus ending the story (outside of the far right). Instead the Clintons are easily trolled and then dig a hole.

Wilsongt

So, tell me, since you know, is the Kansas economy doing well, or poorly? Are new jobs being created, or are existing jobs being lost? How does the rate of job growth or loss compare with past years? What is the mean or median income of a Kansas resident, and how does it compare to past years? Are sales of goods up, or down, compared with prior years?

I'll concede that the facts that employment growth "is below the national average" and not dissimilar from neighboring states are relevant to economic performance. But they don't provide much ground for concluding anything about the state of the Kansas economy, because they concern a single measure of economic performance and lack all historical context. As I said, these articles discuss state government revenues, not economic performance.

EDIT:

Remember, my comment concerned articles already posted. That other articles might show information supporting the conclusion that the Kansas economy is floundering--and even your article lacks historical context--is not a rebuttal to my initial comment.

Also remember that you can direct your comments about me, to me.

There is a difference between having a discussing and being a contrarian just to be one.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2013/09/20/2659461/poverty-data-gov-brownback-broke-promise-kansas/

Poverty up year over year.

The poverty rate in Kansas was 13.6 percent in 2010, the year Brownback campaigned for the governor’s mansion on a five-point Road Map for Kansas that included a promise to reduce child poverty. It climbed to 13.8 percent in 2011 and hit 14 percent in 2012 in Census data released Thursday. Data specific to child poverty for last year is not yet out, but the the Annie E. Casey Foundation reported this summer that child poverty in the state had reached a new record high in 2011, with 134,000 children — 19 percent of the state’s total — impoverished.

http://cjonline.com/news/2013-11-19/child-poverty-kansas-infant-mortality-down-report-says

According to the 2013 report, released Tuesday, childhood poverty has shown no signs of abating in Kansas. Statewide, about 23 percent of Kansas children live in poverty, compared to 18 percent five years ago.

http://www.jec.senate.gov/public//i...&File_id=251e3b37-95f0-43b4-a95b-5ae38b30218d

Net jobs losed since the recession has zeroed out, with very, very minor growth. They have a lower unemployment statistic next to the rest of the US,

A Shorewood man has been charged with more than a dozen counts of illegal voting, accused of casting multiple ballots in four elections in 2011 and 2012, including five in the 2012 gubernatorial recall.

Robert D. Monroe, 50, used addresses in Shorewood, Milwaukee and Indiana, according to the complaint, and cast some votes in the names of his son and his girlfriend's son.

LINK

Metaphoreus

There is a difference between having a discussing and being a contrarian just to be one.

If you want to accuse me of something, then do so.

Poverty up year over year.

Net jobs losed since the recession has zeroed out, with very, very minor growth. They have a lower unemployment statistic next to the rest of the US,

Again, my comment was narrower than you appear to believe it was. I'm not arguing that Kansas is a model of economic strength--I don't know whether it is or not. I'm arguing that the articles cited prior to my first post in this series do not provide enough information to conclude much of anything about the Kansas economy (and, in particular, they do not provide enough information to conclude anything about the effects of Brownback's policies on the Kansas economy).

Now, if any of you had decided that you wanted to "have a discussion" with me, rather than being contrarian merely for the sake of itself, you might have directed me to the following data contained in the articles that I suggested said nothing about Kansas' economic performance (which I saw upon more closely reviewing the sources, following speculawyer's post):

HuffPo said:
What did Chinn find? Well, in terms of job creation since 2011, it's clear: The more liberalism, the more jobs. What's that you say? That's right. "Pro-business" policies stink at creating jobs. Progressive policies, however, do the job far better.

[Chart]

Looking at economic activity more broadly, Chinn found very similar results:

[Chart]

Wichita Eagle said:
Meanwhile, Brownback’s re-election campaign wants to talk about other parts of the state’s fiscal picture, including new business filings and job growth along the Missouri border. But it’s on the governor, who famously warned Texas to look out for a Kansas boom, that the Bureau of Economic Analysis data released last week found the state’s 1.9 percent growth in gross domestic product in 2013 – while slightly better than the nation’s 1.8 percent rate – lagged not just Texas’ 3.7 percent but the growth in every neighboring state except Missouri.

In light of these, I have to admit that my argument, as originally formulated, is wrong. (That's what people do when they try to have honest discussion.) At least two of the sources "discuss[] . . . economic performance." Yet, because speculawyer would rather diagnose what ails me, zero shift would rather talk about me, and you would rather label what I'm doing than have a discussion with me, nobody pointed these out.

Of course, if we wanted to seriously assess the impact of Brownback's policies on the Kansas economy, we'd need more information than has been provided, including the historical context that I complained is absent from the articles provided. Anyone up for that, or just more name-calling?

Maybe this is why conservatives are not doing so good in employment. No desire to their own work for themselves.

Metaphoreus

Maybe this is why conservatives are not doing so good [well] in employment. No desire to [do] their own work for themselves.

And how like a liberal to expect (1) that he needn't provide evidence for his arguments, (2) that winning an argument requires attacking the person against whom one is arguing, and (3) that he should benefit from others' labor, as when you used "good" when you should have used "well" and omitted "do" from your second sentence above, knowing that I would do the work of correcting your grammar.

It should go without saying that I'm joking in this post.

Maybe this is why conservatives are not doing so good in employment. No desire to their own work for themselves.
Well why would they be? They always know there'll be a safety net for red-blooded, hard-working true American patriots like themselves.

But so help me god if a brown person walks into a welfare office

Angry Fork

Venezuela - Crumbling country that, while still democratic, has had its free press eroded over time.

Vast majority of the press in Venezuela is private, the stations eroded were calling for the assassination of Chavez. I'm into a free press that's actually press, with facts, not conjecture, lies, death threats and propaganda.

I would be totally fine with the state shutting down something like fox news as they are not a legitimate organization. The Obama administration going after whistle blowers and citizen journalists who have real facts on their side is actual press repression.

Really, the most positive examples you can give is Tito's Yugoslavia (an authoritarian state that failed once they started accumulating too much foreign debt in the 80s) and Sankara's Burkina Faso (a short lived authoritarian state).

All private businesses are authoritarian. We live in a bourgeois dictatorship that uses stasi surveillance. There's really no way to fling the word authoritarian around without it showing it's face everywhere. If there isn't a society that's completely directly democratic, then the next best thing is to pick an oppressor that's beneficial to you. If we can't choose to do what we want with our time (beyond civic duty/what's necessary to keep society functioning) we're not free, that applies everywhere not just here.

The abortion buffer zone ruling is the right one.

I'm split on the recess appointments. By the letter of the law it's correct, but man I feel like the SCOTUS should be able to step in a define when a recess exists even though they also shouldn't. No one predicted a world with the asshattery of the current GOP.

It's also moot right now. Kind of surprised they even gave a ruling. Thought they'd sidestep since the nuclear option happened.

edit: I still think Hobby Lobby ends on the side of the ACA and not the opponents.

pigeon

Banned
The abortion buffer zone ruling is the right one.

I'm split on the recess appointments. By the letter of the law it's correct, but man I feel like the SCOTUS should be able to step in a define when a recess exists even though they also shouldn't. No one predicted a world with the asshattery of the current GOP.

It's also moot right now. Kind of surprised they even gave a ruling. Thought they'd sidestep since the nuclear option happened.

edit: I still think Hobby Lobby ends on the side of the ACA and not the opponents.

I also predict that Hobby Lobby loses its suit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom