• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.
The abortion buffer zone ruling is the right one.

I'm split on the recess appointments. By the letter of the law it's correct, but man I feel like the SCOTUS should be able to step in a define when a recess exists even though they also shouldn't. No one predicted a world with the asshattery of the current GOP.

It's also moot right now. Kind of surprised they even gave a ruling. Thought they'd sidestep since the nuclear option happened.

edit: I still think Hobby Lobby ends on the side of the ACA and not the opponents.
They did for all intents and purposes.

benjipwns

Banned
I'm into a free press that's actually press, with facts, not conjecture, lies, death threats and propaganda.

I would be totally fine with the state shutting down something like fox news as they are not a legitimate organization.
In other words, you're not for freedom of press/speech.

I feel like ruling in favor of Hobby Lobby would have extremely broad implications that SCOTUS would have to spell out.

If it's against your religious conviction to provide birth control for someone, who's to say there can't just be a "Fuck Obama" religion to weasel out of other laws?

The buffer zone ruling is correct but it doesn't help me feel less shitty about these asshole pro-lifers who spend all their time protesting in front of planned parenthoods.

:\

They did for all intents and purposes.

Well, technically yes but not the way of I was intending them to do it, heh.

I feel like ruling in favor of Hobby Lobby would have extremely broad implications that SCOTUS would have to spell out.

If it's against your religious conviction to provide birth control for someone, who's to say there can't just be a "Fuck Obama" religion to weasel out of other laws?

That's not really at issue since there is precedence for fake religions and real ones.

But the issue does open up pandora's box. Should a Muslim be exempt from taxes because tax revenue lead to school lunches which lead to pepperoni pizza?

Etc.

Is it correct in a world where the court can enact policy banning free speech in their courtyard?

I mean outside of that? yes. It goes with the "everyone has free speech" deal

although I am beginning to think not everyone's opinion is valid or worth the time but that is a huge slippery slope and I'd rather not get into that at the moment.

I also predict that Hobby Lobby loses its suit.

They better. It is quite the slippery slope issue. Can Jehovah's witness deny blood transfusions for their employees? And then for the ultimate troll, some Muslim business owner should file suit demanding some Islamic rule to be followed. Watch the court not know what to do.

I mean outside of that? yes. It goes with the "everyone has free speech" deal

although I am beginning to think not everyone's opinion is valid or worth the time but that is a huge slippery slope and I'd rather not get into that at the moment.

How can you go outside of that though?

THEY set the rules banning free speech in a buffer around their court. A buffer much larger than 35 feet.

East Lake

In light of these, I have to admit that my argument, as originally formulated, is wrong. (That's what people do when they try to have honest discussion.) At least two of the sources "discuss[] . . . economic performance." Yet, because speculawyer would rather diagnose what ails me, zero shift would rather talk about me, and you would rather label what I'm doing than have a discussion with me, nobody pointed these out.
I don't understand. You're admitting they were talking about economic performance when you said that they were not on the last page?

Did you read what I said or are you going to pretend all "press" is equal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t_zRnL6Rnc

I'm for more freedom of speech than the liberals that shit on Wikileaks for open information/open government.
He's assuming that freedom of speech doesn't supress speech that one doesn't like

And he's right, you clearly expressed your opinion you think the government should censor speech and the press

Angry Fork

He's assuming that freedom of speech doesn't supress speech that one doesn't like

And he's right, you clearly expressed your opinion you think the government should censor speech and the press

From the guy who thinks Snowden is a traitor for going to "enemy" countries, nah. And Manning is evil for not fulfilling his contract with the gov, which supersedes ethics somehow.

I'm 100% for freedom of speech, and open government information to all of the public. I'm not fine with organizations masquerading as the press flat out lying or giving nothing but conjecture to the public. They can lie to the public in their own books, websites, etc. but not as journalists on a "news" channel.

I'm 100% For Freedom Of Speech, and open government information to all of the public. I'm not fine with organizations masquerading as the press flat out lying or giving nothing but conjecture to the public. They can lie to the public in their own books, websites, etc. but not as journalists on a "news" channel.

And you do a horrible job summarizing my view on the leaks

Angry Fork

I guess I should add an asterisk or something. I'm for freedom of speech *unless you claim to be a journalist and lie to the public. Everything else is okay, even hate speech which lots of liberals are squeamish about. But I don't like the European shit going on lately where they can't even attack religion without being called a bigot and given some kind of fine.

But my point is either you be a journalist and speak truth to power or you don't be one and you can lie all you want. That's a choice they should be forced to make. It makes sense that if media is privatized they're more willing to make scandalous accusations for ratings rather than real news but that shouldn't exempt them from punishment.

I guess I should add an asterisk or something. I'm for freedom of speech *unless you claim to be a journalist and lie to the public. Everything else is okay, even hate speech which lots of liberals are squeamish about.

At that point then you forfeit your job. Either you be a journalist and speak truth to power or you don't be one and you can lie all you want. That's a choice they should be forced to make. It makes sense that if media is privatized they're more willing to make scandalous accusations for ratings rather than real news but that shouldn't exempt them from punishment.
Do you realize what your advocating?

Angry Fork

Yes, regulation of individuals in a position of power/influence caught lying to the public for personal gain. People like Sean Hannity should live in fear for slandering/libeling working class people, not rewarded. However that's only if he continues to do it on a primetime "news" channel. If he goes and makes his own website to spew shit he should be 100% allowed to do so without fear of repercussion.

How can you go outside of that though?

THEY set the rules banning free speech in a buffer around their court. A buffer much larger than 35 feet.

a) because I recognize how fucked up things are at the moment and would rather celebrate anything that promotes free speech (although I do have my own reserves about that but that's not for this thread at the moment)

b) of course they did but it's not all or nothing

AndyD

aka andydumi

I think he is taking it a bit too far, but I think his position is one that some hold. Specifically that with the label of journalist come certain benefits (access, source protection...) as well as responsibilities (tell the truth to the best of your abilities). At least in the context of your job (Fox/CNN) as opposed to private life (own blog). This is one of the reasons why blogs and bloggers are a hot button issue in terms of being granted press privileges. Because it is difficult to distinguish the public vs. private and where the line is between public responsibility and private freedom.

In Angry Fork's defense, it isn't like other first world countries don't have misrepresentation of information laws by journalists and news corporations. Canada is such a country and I believe the United Kingdom is as well.

Vast majority of the press in Venezuela is private, the stations eroded were calling for the assassination of Chavez. I'm into a free press that's actually press, with facts, not conjecture, lies, death threats and propaganda.

I would be totally fine with the state shutting down something like fox news as they are not a legitimate organization. The Obama administration going after whistle blowers and citizen journalists who have real facts on their side is actual press repression.
private businesses are authoritarian.
The press didn't call for his assassination but rather supported the 2004 coup while it was in progress. It is true that much of the media was anti-Chavez but it is no excuse to replace the media with state owned channels that are just as bad in the terms of propoganda and the government shutting down live reporting of protests as we saw a few months ago.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
I think he is taking it a bit too far, but I think his position is one that some hold. Specifically that with the label of journalist come certain benefits (access, source protection...) as well as responsibilities (tell the truth to the best of your abilities). At least in the context of your job (Fox/CNN) as opposed to private life (own blog). This is one of the reasons why blogs and bloggers are a hot button issue in terms of being granted press privileges. Because it is difficult to distinguish the public vs. private and where the line is between public responsibility and private freedom.

But those press privileges don't arise from the Constitution, which likely uses the term "the press" to refer to a technology, not an industry. The privileges you refer to arise by custom or non-constitutional law. So, there's no reason to read restrictions on freedom of the press (however defined) into the Constitution simply because members of the press enjoy certain non-constitutional privileges. There's certainly no basis in the text of the Constitution for concluding that members of the press are only afforded protection when being truthful.

Crisco

Banned
Look, if you watch cable news and get lied too, that's on you. We live in a world where the facts on basically every issue is a Google search away. The people who watch Hannity don't give a fuck about the real news, they are just looking to have their own beliefs validated. Making it illegal to spout horseshit on TV isn't going to suddenly change people's archaic ideologies.

LITTLE ROCK Ark. (Reuters) - An Arkansas Republican official has resigned after telling a magazine former U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton would "probably get shot" if she returned to the state where she was a lawyer and served as first lady, officials said on Thursday.

Clinton, seen as the front runner for the 2016 Democratic presidential nomination, is set to return to Arkansas on Friday to sign copies of her new memoir. Her husband was the state's governor for 12 years before winning the White House in 1992.

Johnny Rhoda, who was chairman of the Republican Party in the Second Congressional District in Arkansas, was quoted in U.S. News this week as saying Clinton could not expect much political support in the state if she ran for president.

"She'd probably get shot at the state line," Rhoda, an insurance agent and the pastor of a small congregation about 70 miles (110 kms) north of the state capital, Little Rock, was quoted as saying by the magazine.
http://news.yahoo.com/arkansas-republican-resigns-saying-clinton-could-shot-172217514.html

WWJD?

AndyD

aka andydumi
D-Trip said they had their best fundraising day of the year yesterday in response to Boehner planning to sue Obama over his executive actions (which one? oh there's so many to choose from I can't even name one!)

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/fir...fundraising-day-after-boehner-lawsuit-n141986

My favorite part is that they have been suggesting this for a while, but never actually do it. They just won't put their name and allegations down on paper for the world to see. Always rhetoric and suggestions and accusations but no "receipts".

East Lake

I mean, he's specifically saying he was in error. I'm not sure what harping on him for having been in error accomplishes. People do occasionally make mistakes.
Lol his whole style of argument is based around being a stickler about minor errors and ridiculously narrow readings of text. He brings shame on the pedant community for this behavior.

Metaphoreus

What do you do, not read the articles you argue about?

I was formulating a snarky response, but then pigeon had a serious response, and I lost all motivation to be snarky.

Let's talk about the arguments being made--the Kansas economy, the proper scope of a free press, how right or wrong the Supreme Court is this time--rather than the people engaging in the arguments.

EDIT: Or that. No better way to prove you're right than to criticize a person's "style of argument".

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
The abortion buffer zone ruling is the right one.

I'm split on the recess appointments. By the letter of the law it's correct, but man I feel like the SCOTUS should be able to step in a define when a recess exists even though they also shouldn't. No one predicted a world with the asshattery of the current GOP.

It's also moot right now. Kind of surprised they even gave a ruling. Thought they'd sidestep since the nuclear option happened.

edit: I still think Hobby Lobby ends on the side of the ACA and not the opponents.

I'd actually consider the abortion ruling a success. My biggest worry was that they'd say it wasn't content neutral, and would thus strike down every last one of these sorts of laws, but instead they focused on just the government interest part, saying 35 feet was too much for too little benefit. There had to be some sort of limits on these laws anyway. Everyone should agree there would be some point of distance that crosses the line into hindering free speech. I just don't personally know what distance I would draw the line at going too far.

As for recess sessions, honestly I wouldn't mind too much if we keep the option of blocking a republican president the same way. Recess appointments have a history of being overly abused in undemocratic ways and I would like to see less of them overall. The filibuster was always the thing that needed to be changed to unclog the system.

FYI Monday is gonna suck. Alito will gut public unionism and we have hobby lobby

I am absolutely, completely terrified about the union ruling. This could easily top Citizen's United as this Supreme Court's worst decision in the amount of real world damage done.

Hobby Lobby is worrying too. I agree that it seems unlikely that Hobby Lobby will win, but I can't help but feel nervous about it.

Yes, many politicians would be guillotined by now in a just world. There are some good ones though I'm not someone who blankets all ordinary political activity as pointless or bad.
this is just relective of the general viewpoint that many on the far left take, there is one correct view all others who don't seek this or actively impede it shall be killed or imprisoned or bullied out of view.

you're advocating old school soviet/chinese/cuban purges

I don't think this is a view many hold that people have to present facts and opinions a certain way or face the government censor. There's no way around that. We have libel and slander laws that cover much of this. He's angry that people watch and listen to views he considers wrong or damaging to his desired political ends so, since he deems them wrong and damaging (with no subjective definition) he feels there's a right to shut them down.

Yes, regulation of individuals in a position of power/influence caught lying to the public for personal gain. People like Sean Hannity should live in fear for slandering/libeling working class people, not rewarded. However that's only if he continues to do it on a primetime "news" channel. If he goes and makes his own website to spew shit he should be 100% allowed to do so without fear of repercussion.
slander and libel laws work. Hannity and others feel a certain way about certain people and should be free to express this. Why are you limiting him from speaking on a private channel? Where do people come off telling people legally they can't have a TV show if people desire it? Its really dangerous you ideas.

In Angry Fork's defense, it isn't like other first world countries don't have misrepresentation of information laws by journalists and news corporations. Canada is such a country and I believe the United Kingdom is as well.

I have to see what those laws say but I don't think they criminalize presenting a certain view of the world. And I'm not in favor of importing other countries "free speech" laws which give far to much power to the courts and government to suppress speech they don't like.

I am absolutely, completely terrified about the union ruling. This could easily top Citizen's United as this Supreme Court's worst decision in the amount of real world damage done.

Hobby Lobby is worrying too. I agree that it seems unlikely that Hobby Lobby will win, but I can't help but feel nervous about it.

hobby at worst would be a lost battle but I can't see them doing anything radical. if they win it will be on narrow grounds and the parade of horribles won't be in danger of happening.

I'm fearing the worst for the other. Alito probably has it and he hates unions more than any one else the only think keeping me from freaking out completely is the fact its been a long time and I think he'd have to pull scalia who was hesitant to go that far as a vote which can limit how far he will go.

Metaphoreus

hobby at worst would be a lost battle but I can't see them doing anything radical. if they win it will be on narrow grounds and the parade of horribles won't be in danger of happening.

I'm fearing the worst for the other. Alito probably has it and he hates unions more than any one else the only think keeping me from freaking out completely is the fact its been a long time and I think he'd have to pull scalia who was hesitant to go that far as a vote which can limit how far he will go.

I actually know nothing about Harris. What about it concerns you?

Drakeon

I'd actually consider the abortion ruling a success. My biggest worry was that they'd say it wasn't content neutral, and would thus strike down every last one of these sorts of laws, but instead they focused on just the government interest part, saying 35 feet was too much for too little benefit. There had to be some sort of limits on these laws anyway. Everyone should agree there would be some point of distance that crosses the line into hindering free speech. I just don't personally know what distance I would draw the line at going too far.

As for recess sessions, honestly I wouldn't mind too much if we keep the option of blocking a republican president the same way. Recess appointments have a history of being overly abused in undemocratic ways and I would like to see less of them overall. The filibuster was always the thing that needed to be changed to unclog the system.

I can't be surprised by what the Supreme Court does now. They're basically an arm of the republican party with the exception that they are pro gay rights (well, Kennedy is, but he's also the only one who matters in 95% of instances, Roberts ruling on ACA being the only other instance I can think of a different justice siding with the liberal wing)

Cruz Resolution: Impeach Holder If He Doesn't Investigate IRS Scandal

"If attorney general Eric Holder continues to refuse to appoint a special prosecutor, he should be impeached," Cruz said on the Senate floor. "When an attorney general refuses to enforce the law, when an attorney general mocks the rule of law, when an attorney general corrupts the Department of Justice by conducting a nakedly partisan investigation to cover up political wrongdoing, that conduct by any reasonable measure constitutes high crimes and misdemeanors."

Cruz then called for the Senate to consider a resolution "expressing the opinion of the Senate that the Attorney General should appoint a special prosecutor to investigate and prosecute if the facts support the I.R.S. targeting of Americans and its potential cover-up of those actions."

Why not, it worked so well last November.

Angry Fork

this is just relective of the general viewpoint that many on the far left take, there is one correct view all others who don't seek this or actively impede it shall be killed or imprisoned or bullied out of view.

you're advocating old school soviet/chinese/cuban purges

I'd personally say more like a temporary Jacobin-level revolutionary terror of former oppressors. The Communist purges are different as they were on comrades under the guise of "protecting the revolution" but was just for the dictators benefit. More communists died under Stalin than fascists, nothing he did was for ''the revolution'' or public interest.

But yes there are correct, factual, moral things that shouldn't be questioned anymore. Rape is not up for debate, racism is not up for debate, sexism is not up for debate, so on and so on. There are no 'competing arguments' in favor. Anyone who wants to debate the positives of these should be ostracized in every way shape or form. If someone can't be educated or reasoned with within a certain time frame it's reasonable for them to be coerced/compelled if the end is a moral truth.

Actually I would say coercion is only reasonable if this person is in a position of power, because their opinions can negatively affect others without power. I think you're forgetting how many millions of people are living in destitute poverty or without access to healthcare due to the actions of a few governors defending private interests. It is 100% reasonable and logical to me to dispose of them for the public's benefit. Obviously this won't happen I'm just saying if there was a revolutionary atmosphere where this occurred it wouldn't be a bad thing.

The government has done this on slavery, civil rights, gay rights, labor laws, public education etc. Literally the only thing stopping businesses from employing child workers was violence, as no capitalist can be moral and competitive at the same time unless universal regulations are in place. All progressive moral forces in this country's history has required the threat of violence or actual violence. First it is forced by people from below, the state tries to repress them, then it's too much to contain and the state has to placate them by using their monopoly on violence to make things stable.

The libertarians are right in their own way to say this government 'interference' is tyranny on their businesses/personal "freedom", except I think it's a good thing because it's tyranny that benefits the majority of people who aren't these individual exploiters/backwards racist confederate types. I just think this should be extended to economic rights as well and go after all wealthy hoarders, tax evaders, speculators, etc.

slander and libel laws work. Hannity and others feel a certain way about certain people and should be free to express this. Why are you limiting him from speaking on a private channel? Where do people come off telling people legally they can't have a TV show if people desire it? Its really dangerous you ideas.

I just don't think the channel should be allowed to be a news one. I feel like there should be some semblance of public interest involved in journalism where you must take it seriously enough not to be someone like Hannity.

That doesn't mean I'm anti-opinion in journalism because all of it is opinion unless you're just reporting facts of an event. Maybe the best pragmatic response would be to mandate a large ''OPINION SHOW'' bar/bulletin on the bottom of all programs that are just people spewing lies/conjecture.

These shows spend 30 seconds explaining an event that happened so they can be considered news and then the next 5 minutes explaining why Obama wants to enact sharia law and nobody bats an eyelid at the fact that they're not connected at all, but stupid viewers will take it as gospel.

I do agree with the guy who said maybe the viewers will believe what they want to believe and they look to fox news to validate their own stuff but I don't think that's reason not to try to push in the other direction to sanity.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think provable, purposeful lies should be protected as free speech or free press in any situation, but I don't think regulation would solve anything.

Fox News can do plenty of harm even with regulations like that. You would probably barely be able to tell the difference. Most of what people say on Fox News and other networks isn't fabricated, it's just distorted, and I don't see any way you can regulate what's distorted or not without massive infringements on the freedom of speech.

I don't know what the solution is, but I do know there's not going to be a satisfactory one to be found in changing conservative media from the inside.

FyreWulff

The buffer zone ruling is correct but it doesn't help me feel less shitty about these asshole pro-lifers who spend all their time protesting in front of planned parenthoods.

:\

The solution would be to fundraise land-buying to increase the radius around the clinic that's private property.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom