• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah because the GOP really has their shit together...

Isn't "character runs for class president and promises no homework or free x for everybody" a staple of every show based on teenagers since forever? Shockingly, teenagers don't react that well to somebody telling them no. Plus, it's not like they're banning kids from bringing in lunch.

Retro

So.... Over under on the charges against Perry actually sticking?

Seems like they've got a pretty solid case against him. They'll make an argument that the funding for the Public Integrity Unit was cut for other reasons, but I believe they have him on the record saying he would veto it unless Lehmberg resigned, which is the coercion charge (and carries 2-10 years in prison). Even if he manages to wiggle his way out of the greater charge, he'd still be a convicted felon looking at jail time.

That kills his presidential aspirations, but it would probably give him a boost in Texas where he can spin it as some twisted breed of martyrdom.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
So.... Over under on the charges against Perry actually sticking?

I think the first count will be dismissed, because it turns on the theory that Perry literally received the money that the Legislature appropriated to the PIU, which is absurd. The second count is more plausible, but there's case law in Texas indicating the statute on which it's based may be unconstitutional. So there's a good chance that neither count sticks.

hm

Maybe folks were too early in writing this one off. Of the three major candidates (Rounds, Weiland, Pressler), Rounds is actually viewed the least favorably. Pressler is getting a large share of the vote because he was a former senator.

It might behoove the DSCC to spend some cash here, South Dakota is a cheap state to advertise in.

And who would Pressler caucus with if he were to get in?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Rand Paul's come a long way from advocating lethal force to stop petty theft.
Wait. Wasn't rand the guy leading the anti drone charge?

Also lol killing someone who comes out of a liquor store with a weapon and 50$ cash. Fuck finding out if he actually robbed them kill first ask questions later. I assume in open carry states the drone could be programmed to defer assassination if white people.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more

Also lol killing someone who comes out of a liquor store with a weapon and 50$ cash. Fuck finding out if he actually robbed them kill first ask questions later. I assume in open carry states the drone could be programmed to defer assassination if white people.

Paul's poorly expressed point was that he didn't have a problem with drones killing someone where lethal force would have already been justified, not that he thought lethal force would be justified in the scenario he described.

alstein

Rand plays the libertarian card when it's convenient, and acts like your typical Republican when it isn't. He's more hypocritical and politically Savvy than Ron.

I've been noticing that there been a lot of conservatives on the Internet that have been really transparent with what they really think due to the reaction to the Ferguson situation. Ted Bundy is a hero and the police overreacting but Mike Brown was a criminal and the police were using appropriate force. Disgusting.

Paul's poorly expressed point was that he didn't have a problem with drones killing someone where lethal force would have already been justified, not that he thought lethal force would be justified in the scenario he described.
Yes that was what he was trying to articulate. His words reveal much more about what he views as deserving of leathal force.

I've been noticing that there been a lot of conservatives on the Internet that have been really transparent with what they really think due to the reaction to the Ferguson situation. Ted Bundy is a hero and the police overreacting but Mike Brown was a criminal and the police were using appropriate force. Disgusting.

Cliven Bundy.

Had my first Facebook friend post that pic of Mike Brown with a gun, money and Hawaiian Punch (which are all obviously serious crimes) and say they were glad the truth was finally coming out.

To be fair, Bundy didn't burn down other people's crops or loot stores. Bundy certainly had a threat of violence against the police (including pointing guns at them) but I really don't see how you can make a 1:1 comparison.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
To be fair, Bundy didn't burn down other people's crops or loot stores. Bundy certainly had a threat of violence against the police (including pointing guns at them) but I really don't see how you can make a 1:1 comparison.

You're kidding, right?

68150_600.gif

Diablos

This is another case where common sense would have prevailed.

So the kid was a thug; shooting him with his hands up isn't appropriate. Whatever happened to "the punishment doesn't fit the crime"? Are people forgetting about this simple fact?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

To be fair, Bundy did basically steal millions of dollars through tax fraud, and every single one of the Bundy supporters were trying to support Bundy's actions of doing exactly that.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

Mike Brown was a looter and arsonist?

kehs

Banned
This is another case where common sense would have prevailed.

So the kid was a thug; shooting him with his hands up isn't appropriate. Whatever happened to "the punishment doesn't fit the crime"? Are people forgetting about this simple fact?

Even bigger problem is that people seem to think cops should be doling out punishment in the first place.

Mike Brown didn't burn down stores and didn't steal anything as far as the shooting officer knew.

Edit: oh and Cliven Bundy stole thousands of dollars . ..Brown stole a few cigars.

teiresias

Six shots, two to the head.

Hopefully this means Obama will come out and talk some more about hoping for peace and understanding and justice, since that seems to work so much better
for the ineffectual doofus of a president we're saddled with
then doing something to guarantee them.

Six shots, two to the head.

Hopefully this means Obama will come out and talk some more about hoping for peace and understanding and justice, since that seems to work so much better
for the ineffectual doofus of a president we're saddled with
then doing something to guarantee them.

What can he do to ensure peace and understanding and justice is had so that he is not the ineffectual doofus you claim him to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom