• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, probably.

Texas Dems need to figure out how to get more Latinos to the polls. They'll be the ones to tip the scale eventually. Perhaps they need to groom more latino candidates.

Is the TX Democratic Lt. Governor candidate hispanic? They basically need to have more kids and wait 18 years.

Does anyone here know much about the upcoming governor election in Texas? From a quick Google search, it's Greg Abbott (R) vs Wendy Davis (D) and based on the polling I looked at in Wiki, it's like 55/45 mostly in favor of (R). I assume then that means that it's almost guaranteed Abbott will win but PoliGAF knows more about polling than I do. Does it change any leading up to the election?

Is Abbott any worse or better than Perry?

Davis has no chance of winning, her campaign seems to be about little more than registering voters for a later election (2016/2018/etc).

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
So Kansas

If I were running the DSCC I might be tempted to withdraw Taylor as a candidate and prop up Orman instead, in exchange for caucusing with the Democrats. Orman was a Democrat before (he ran for this seat in 2008 as one) and his positions haven't changed much.

They also find Brownback losing, again - he's only down 2 against Paul Davis, and with the third party candidate out of the race (who takes 9% of the vote), he's down 5.

They also have Hagan up by 4 in North Carolina bad news etc

The bad news for today is a SurveyUSA poll from Georgia that has Michelle Nunn and Jason Carter trailing by fairly big margins, which is a bummer but things can change I guess.

That's also the 6th straight month Hagan has had the lead in PPP polls, according to PPP's twitter.

Wilsongt

*siiiiiiiiigh* These fucking idiots...

"Ex-gay" activist Stephen Bennett fired off at the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community in an interview with Mission America's Linda Harvey last week.

Identified by "Understanding the Times with Jan Markell" as a "former homosexual," Bennett argued that "anyone with a brain" realizes that LGBT people should not be treated equally, Right Wing Watch first reported.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...ett-_n_5688726.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

Does anyone here know much about the upcoming governor election in Texas? From a quick Google search, it's Greg Abbott (R) vs Wendy Davis (D) and based on the polling I looked at in Wiki, it's like 55/45 mostly in favor of (R). I assume then that means that it's almost guaranteed Abbott will win but PoliGAF knows more about polling than I do. Does it change any leading up to the election?

Is Abbott any worse or better than Perry?

Greg Abbot will have people pining for Rick Perry come the next legislative session in January.

That bad, huh? I checked out his website and it was very off-putting on many of the issues that concern me. How is he worse?

Rick Perry, at his core, is still a Blue Dog Democrat who was willing to work with good' ol' boy legislators who want to pork up their own districts. Abbott is a rabid Tea Partier who already beat Perry's chosen successor (Dewhurst) in the primary.

d75oh6jowhevn6iopupz.png

Rick Perry, at his core, is still a Blue Dog Democrat who was willing to work with good' ol' boy legislators who want to pork up their own districts. Abbott is a rabid Tea Partier who already beat Perry's chosen successor (Dewhurst) in the primary.
Perhaps we need more rabid tea partiers in some places so we can see some failure. Brownback is doing his part. Rick Scott is helping. Bob McDonnell sure helped.

But it is hard to fuck-up Texas at this point. They have so much oil & natural gas money coming in that they they can do all sorts of stupid and still look good.

Cat

Oh my God. We are doomed.

Averon

With ISIS releasing the video of that brutal beheading of that journalist, there's going to be even more pressure on Obama to fully re-enter Iraq.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Not sure why this thread's been quiet for the past few days, but here we have another piece of news that will put Rush Limbaugh on suicide watch:

Duke, who lost her flooring business after her husband died last year, says she now has a favorable view of the measure and is angry at her state’s Republican governor, Pat McCrory, for refusing to expand Medicaid under the Affordable Care Act.

Duke has a diabetic daughter who was initially denied health-insurance coverage because of the state’s swollen Medicaid rolls.

“My child got caught up in the political B.S.,” she said. “I had to walk in there and beg them for help,” said Duke, who eventually got coverage from Medicaid, the federal-state program for lower-income Americans.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/gop-slinks-away-its-obamacare-line

This chick was a Romney voter who's now a newly converted Obama voter. What Republicans feared would happen is in fact happening, slowly but surely.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I was wondering if anyone could help link me to any source of slogans/memes/bumper stickers etc which either border on self parody or are subtle parody of Tea Party positions?

The Onion and stuff like GOPTeens are a little too on the nose for my needs.

Wilsongt

I've been in the mts of NC the past week and I am so fuckin tired of Tillis and McCrory ads. Especially one that blatantly lies about teacher pay raises.

In this case the only thing he will do by taking a harder stance here is make things worse. Any conservatives that support the protesters will immediately switch sides just to be against Obama. There was a good Vox article posted somewhere that explained it as well as could be done.

I suppose that could happen if all conservatives perceive his stance as only helpful to the Democratic Party. In any case, I'd imagine African Americans are looking for legitimacy of their broader message about the criminal justice system and not a hard stance per se about Wilson vs. Brown:

Obama's Remarks on Ferguson said:
There are young black men that commit crime. And -- and -- and we can argue about why that happens because of the poverty they were born into or the lack of opportunity or the school systems that failed them or what have you, but if they commit a crime, then they need to be prosecuted because every community has an interest in public safety.

Seems like a reoccurring theme throughout both his terms where there's a lot of concern about how conservative feel/how will they react and little attention paid to how his passivity impacts support from his base who become disillusioned. And he ends up with both sides upset.

Not sure why this thread's been quiet for the past few days, but here we have another piece of news that will put Rush Limbaugh on suicide watch:

This chick was a Romney voter who's now a newly converted Obama voter. What Republicans feared would happen is in fact happening, slowly but surely.

I hope to see more stories like this. The effectiveness of the Republican/Fox News brainwashing of the lower middle class into voting against their own interests has been staggering :/

Suicide watch? The law is still wildly unpopular. The article acknowledges it at least, but argues the GOP's anti-Obamacare advertising has been ineffective which isn't true imo. For whatever reason the democrat's message isn't penetrating. Is it simply due to how partisan things are, that no matter what happens there will always be a split? Is it because so many red states have ensured the law works as horribly as possible? I'm not sure.

Cloudy

Banned
With ISIS releasing the video of that brutal beheading of that journalist, there's going to be even more pressure on Obama to fully re-enter Iraq.

Fully re-enter Iraq to do what? The pressure is on Hilary and the other interventionists. There's your "moderate" Syrian opposition...

Liberals want to convince themselves this will do any good. The voters voting against Obama Care are middle class whites, this isn't effecting them, they're voting on the fear that by helping the lower incomes and putting in new requirements they'll lose their coverage. You're never going to convince them because they're fearful and reacting to a hypothetical which can 'always' happen

Liberals want to convince themselves this will do any good. The voters voting against Obama Care are middle class whites, this isn't effecting them, they're voting on the fear that by helping the lower incomes and putting in new requirements they'll lose their coverage. You're never going to convince them because they're fearful and reacting to a hypothetical which can 'always' happen
Meh. A lot of them figure it out. They get laid off, their kid graduates and has no job, their bum friend gets on medicaid expansion.

Yes, there are many that won't be directly affected at all . . . but there are many that will be affected or know some one that will be affected. And they will also notice that their life has not changed.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Politics aside, I'm just enjoying the fact that I don't have to constantly hear about Obamacare anymore. It was all anyone in politics would talk about over the last 5 years.

That bad, huh? I checked out his website and it was very off-putting on many of the issues that concern me. How is he worse?

Here's a couple of good references on Greg Abbott's vision:

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2013/07/greg-abbott-the-next-rick-perry

http://www.austinchronicle.com/dail...you-liked-rick-perry-you-ll-love-greg-abbott/

But it's not only Abbott, who by himself is a dangerous Tea Party nutjob as Jesse Eiwiak mentioned. It's also the fact that we'll be electing a new Lt. Gov, arguably a position more powerful than Governor in Texas, and that person will be crazy ass Dan Patrick. This bozo will control legislation in the Senate, chair the budget process, and generally be able to bend the Texas congress to its will given the GOP majorities. It's going to be a bloodbath in January.

Diablos

http://www.austinchronicle.com/dail...you-liked-rick-perry-you-ll-love-greg-abbott/

But it's not only Abbott, who by himself is a dangerous Tea Party nutjob as Jesse Eiwiak mentioned. It's also the fact that we'll be electing a new Lt. Gov, arguably a position more powerful than Governor in Texas, and that person will be crazy ass Dan Patrick. This bozo will control legislation in the Senate, chair the budget process, and generally be able to bend the Texas congress to its will given the GOP majorities. It's going to be a bloodbath in January.
Scary stuff.

I know TX has a lot of great places, don't get me wrong... but I'm so glad I don't live there.

It's really incredible that enough people of the state won't come to their senses and realize how toxic Perry and his friends are. Even here in Pennsylvania, some lifelong Republicans know Corbett is a heartless dolt and are going to vote against him/sit it out.

Wilsongt

Wow. Someone who makes Perry look like leas of an idiot.

Cat

Man, that sucks.

kehs

Banned
Fucking lol

The Committee on House Administration is advising members that posting videos on official accounts of lawmakers participating in the viral charity challenge is a violation of House rules.

“No doubt, this is for an admirable cause. There is a prohibition in the Members Handbook and in the Ethics Manual on the use of official resources for the promotion or benefit of any private charitable cause,” an email sent Tuesday from a panel subcommittee warned.

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/08/house-throws-cold-water-on-ice-challenge-110157.html

Suicide watch? The law is still wildly unpopular. The article acknowledges it at least, but argues the GOP's anti-Obamacare advertising has been ineffective which isn't true imo. For whatever reason the democrat's message isn't penetrating. Is it simply due to how partisan things are, that no matter what happens there will always be a split? Is it because so many red states have ensured the law works as horribly as possible? I'm not sure.

It doesn't help that Pro Obamacare ads were outspent nearly 15:1 by anti-Obamacare ads.

In reality, we can see the law doing some good. But its still early for most rational people to running through the streets praising the law. There's still quite a few problems including the refusals to expand Medicaid. So naturally, some Dems aren't running on the success of the law especially when the inconvenience of the broken website and dropped health plans are still fresh in people's minds.

It's still wildly unpopular but I do think this was to be largely expected. Especially with the sort of rhetoric this law generates.

"Job Killer" - False
"Socialized medicine" - False
"But we already have the best healthcare system in the world! Why change that!?" -False

Tamanon

Banned
Well, also there's the fact that the ACA is more unpopular in red states that went out of their way to sabotage it. It makes it so a lot more people are hurt if they can't afford the exchanges or use expanded medicaid.

McConnell's talking about a shutdown

But asked about the potential that his approach could spark another shutdown, McConnell said it would be up to the president to decide whether to veto spending bills that would keep the government open.

Obama “needs to be challenged, and the best way to do that is through the funding process,” McConnell said. “He would have to make a decision on a given bill, whether there’s more in it that he likes than dislikes.”
63.jpg

Granted, he is talking about after the 2014 elections if Republicans won a majority in the Senate. But I believe an executive order on immigration could push the GOP over the edge.

Protein

Banned

Welp. Day ruined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom