• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe you're thinking about the We Ask America poll released today showing a 7 point gap? That's lower than expected but nothing to panic about.

Nope. We Ask America is owned by the Illinois Manufacturers' Association, their polls are known to put their thumb on the scale 3-8 points in favor of the republican.

This was Durbin's own internal polling and it was surprisingly close to that WAA poll.

Looks like Democrats are not just gearing up for 2016, but also for 2020. I guess they realize that any hope having a solid grip on the House relies on redistricting in their favor (or reforming the redistricting process to prevent gerrymandering, if they're smart):

Forget 2016: Democrats already have a plan for 2020

Well they BETTER have a plan for 2020. Winning so they can control redistricting is of all importance.

And you know . . . love those founding fathers but our democracy has bugs. And we may now be in a weird 10 year cycle wherein the GOP wins the right to redistrict in midterm election census years and the Dems win the right to redistrict in presidential election census years. Weird.

We need things like instant run-off voting and more proportional representation. Perhaps those damn parliamentary systems are better.

benjipwns

Banned
It's not that complicated. She's one of the very few people in congress to aggressively call out the government's soft response to Wall Street corruption, and she is talented in speaking about these problems to the public.
She's one of the few Democrats willing to go after Wall Street, what's not to get? People like her for her economic policy, not her foreign policy.
The fun thing is her brainchild was the DHS of the financial sector, a cobbled together, full of redundancy, protection agency for the largest Wall Street banks against community banks and credit unions. Which, like the DHS, also seems determined to gather useless reams of data on every American.

And the best part about it is that it's an independent agency within another independent agency with a supreme director who can't be removed by the President and its budget is entirely outside of Congress' hands and even its actions are exempt from review by its superior agency except if a council made up of all the Wall Street cronies in government decides with a supermajority vote it's threatening the "soundness of the American financial services industry."

And you know . . . love those founding fathers but our democracy has bugs.
They weren't aiming for democracy, so they're features, not bugs.

Why does nobody remember the story of Robin Hood? Is it that hard to watch Men In Tights every year on the designated day?

HylianTom

Banned
And we may now be in a weird 10 year cycle wherein the GOP wins the right to redistrict in midterm election census years and the Dems win the right to redistrict in presidential election census years.

I've wondered about the same pattern, but by the time 2030 comes around, demographics could very well outweigh turnout patterns.

Then again, for all we know, there could be some sort of party realignment between now and then.

benjipwns

Banned
There's an easy solution to the "problem" of redistricting.

Get district sizes back down towards 60,000 people. Who gives a shit if they don't all fit in the Capitol? It can be an excuse for spending lavishly on a new building.

Population per seat in the lower house of countries:
Code:
1	 India	2268522
2	 United States	733085
3	 Pakistan	573609
4	 Bangladesh	554269
5	 Nigeria	492099
6	 China	453864
7	 Indonesia	452874
8	 Brazil	395042
9	 Philippines	375151
10	 Russia	316601
45	 South Africa	120939
46	 France	114834
47	 Ecuador	114266
48	 Canada	113100
49	 Netherlands	112516
57	 United Kingdom	98066
58	 Italy	97905
59	 Sri Lanka	97184
83	 Belgium	69662
84	 Honduras	67176
85	 Israel	65182
86	 Singapore	63992
112	  Switzerland	40308
113	 Mongolia	38858
114	 Oman	38331
115	 Somalia	37920
116	 Gambia, The	36331
117	 Slovakia	36291
118	 Korea, North	36174
119	 Greece	35919
128	 Denmark	31112
129	 Namibia	30533
130	 Norway	30460
131	 Trinidad and Tobago	29852
132	 Croatia	29606
133	 Ireland	29113
134	 Bulgaria	28853
135	 Serbia	28839
136	 Sweden	27862
137	 Finland	26344

If you had each district representing the same amount of people as in the Bundestag (128,566):
Code:
 California	    	298
 Texas	    	206
 New York	    	153
 Florida	    	152
 Illinois	    	100
 Pennsylvania	    	99
 Ohio	    	90
 Georgia	    	78
 Michigan	    	77
 North Carolina	    	77
 New Jersey	    	69
 Virginia	    	64
 Washington	    	54
 Massachusetts	    	52
 Arizona	    	52
 Indiana	    	51
 Tennessee	    	51
 Missouri	    	47
 Maryland	    	46
 Wisconsin	    	45
 Minnesota	    	42
 Colorado	    	41
 Alabama	    	38
 South Carolina	    	37
 Louisiana	    	36
 Kentucky	    	34
 Oregon	    	31
 Oklahoma	    	30
 Connecticut	    	28
 Iowa	    	24
 Mississippi	    	23
 Arkansas	    	23
 Utah	    	23
 Kansas	    	23
 Nevada	    	22
 New Mexico	    	16
 Nebraska	    	15
 West Virginia	    	14
 Idaho	    	13
 Hawaii	    	11
 Maine	    	10
 New Hampshire	    	10
 Rhode Island	    	8
 Montana	    	8
 Delaware	    	7
 South Dakota	    	7
 Alaska	    	6
 North Dakota	    	6
 Vermont	    	5
 Wyoming	    	5

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Ted Cruz once again doing what he thinks is best for America.

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2014/07/10/3458798/ted-cruz-auction-off-public-lands/

Truly Ted Cruz will be history's greatest troll.

He really is cartoon evil. And the bizarre thing is that he is viewed as this super pious good guy by his fans. Go Figure.

Cruz is definitely a troll, and I look forward to his ongoing antics and the reactions thereto. However, that ThinkProgress article's fearmongering is pretty hilarious in its own right. For instance, note the unwritten distinction in that third paragraph between "these lands" (referring to the lands which would be subject to divestment) and the phrase preceding it (and appearing at first to be the antecedent to which "these lands" refers), "some of the country’s most beloved national parks, forests, wildlife areas and iconic natural resources." I sincerely doubt that all of the land owned by the federal government in Idaho, Oregon, Nevada (of which the feds own over 80%), Utah, and Alaska falls into any of the listed categories.

But it gets better. Soon, we learn that Cruz's is only the latest "radical effort by right-wing lawmakers to give control of America’s public lands to states or private industry." Radical! Never-before-seen! Outrageous, even!

Please ignore this said:

Finally, we learn that Cruz has now (well, as of early July) aligned himself with those members of Congress who believe that "America’s public lands should be seized by the states or sold off for drilling, mining, or logging." Seized! By force! With guns, probably! Maybe you think ThinkProgress is exaggerating that any members of Congress believe states should "seize" federal lands. In that case, the clause following "or" is for you: so long as that part is true, it doesn't matter what inane nonsense comes before it!

(By the way, both Cruz's amendment and the bill he sought to amend failed to pass the Senate.)

benjipwns

Banned
Look, we can't sell off public lands, there's a chance that some rich and powerful corporation will own it all and restrict access to it.

Wilsongt

Look, we can't sell off public lands, there's a chance that some rich and powerful corporation will own it all and restrict access to it.

Kind of reminds me of a news story I heard a couple of days ago about filthy rich Silicon Valley CEOs buying up loads of beach front property and closing access to beaches that the public used to be able to spend the day.

Cloudy

Banned
http://m.nydailynews.com/opinion/1.1921882?cid=bitly

This is a great indictment of the political pundits

Of course, because pundits crave cartoonish notions of leadership and are allergic to uncertainty and deliberation, the President's ill-considered but honest statement Thursday that the U.S. has "no strategy yet" for dealing with ISIS set off a firestorm of mockery.

But the recognition that any U.S. strategy will be dependent on the contributions of others, will develop and evolve over time and, above all, cannot be constructed on the fly, should be welcomed. While U.S. engagement may help defeat ISIS, it almost certainly will not be decisive. Inevitably it is Iraqis who will shape the destiny of Iraq.

Understanding this with some measure of humility is not a strength of American pundits, for whom everything is about the United States - and, even more simplistic than that, about its President.

But policies that are based on incomplete information, reliant on the actions of uncertain allies, constrained by politics (both domestic and foreign) and generally are defined by a set of choices that consist of least-worst policy options don't generally result in a proverbial "win."

Managing America's role in the world isn't a game.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Kind of reminds me of a news story I heard a couple of days ago about filthy rich Silicon Valley CEOs buying up loads of beach front property and closing access to beaches that the public used to be able to spend the day.

Was the story really about multiple Silicon Valley CEOs, or just that one guy?

Independent and Democratic candidates for governor possibly teaming up in Alaska to take down GOP governor Sean Parnell

Democrat Byron Mallott and independent Bill Walker and their partisans have been in discussions since Wednesday about merging their gubernatorial campaigns into a bipartisan or nonpartisan unity ticket.

With the Sept. 2 deadline looming for changes to the November ballot, the talks intensified Friday and are expected to continue through Labor Day. The negotiations could, for the first time in Alaska history, result in a blank spot on the ballot where the Democratic gubernatorial ticket normally would be -- an idea that key party members appear to be endorsing, though approval would have to come from the party central committee.

“Talks are continuing between the Walker and Mallott teams to create a unified ticket and there will be a formal press availability on Tuesday,” said Laury Scandling, spokeswoman for the Mallott campaign. “The talks will continue tomorrow,” she said as the meeting broke up around 7:30 p.m. Sunday.
Kansas next.

Yes, just imagine the South getting their own UKIP. Now imagine no majority and someone has to form a coalition with them. Fun times for everyone!

Meh . . . I don't think that would be any different than the current Republican dominated south. And when you allow it in the open, people can see it and recoil from it instead of it being tacitly being accepted and just not talked about much in our current system.

Florida utilities line-up behind Voldemort.

MIAMI (Reuters) - When Charlie Crist last governed Florida, his green energy and climate policies made him few friends among the state's powerful electricity corporations.

Now, as the Republican-turned Democrat bids to return to the governor's mansion, it may be payback time.

Florida's three largest utilities have poured money into the re-election campaign of Republican incumbent Governor Rick Scott in an expensive and closely watched political battle for the nation's largest swing state.

The election spending is notable in a tight race where the issues of energy and climate change have taken center stage in recent weeks, with both candidates asserting their environmental credentials.

As Republican governor between 2007 and 2011, Crist "sent shivers through the entire utility system," said Colleen Castille, who headed the Florida Department of Environmental Protection under Governor Jeb Bush.

Crist was a darling of clean energy advocates, hosting a climate change summit in 2007 alongside another green Republican, California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. His focus on clean energy challenged the Florida utilities who are heavily dependant on natural gas and coal, as well as some nuclear.
http://news.yahoo.com/florida-power...-green-governor-crist-122411212--finance.html

Crist is a fool if he can't ride this to victory. And you don't even have to tout the green aspect at all (although it helps). Point out that Rick Scott doesn't want people to have the freedom of generating their own electricity and instead he strongly backs the big utility monopolies. And point out that Florida utilities are forcing the rate-payers to pay for the stupidity of the utilities such as nuclear plants that haven't generated electricity for years and never will operate again. Even if you ignore the green power stuff, Rick Scott's position is just plain corrupt and pro-monopoly.

But yeah . . . green power . . . this is Florida . . . the god-damn sunshine state. They are fucking crazy if they don't go big time solar PV. It works great to power all their air-conditioners and dehumidifiers.

HylianTom

Banned
Meh . . . I don't think that would be any different than the current Republican dominated south. And when you allow it in the open, people can see it and recoil from it instead of it being tacitly being accepted and just not talked about much in our current system.

Yup.

If people nationwide really knew what the GOP's base said down here behind closed doors about non-Republicans/minorities/etc, their party would be even more crippled in regions outside the South.

Nobody is voting based on energy policy. Call them stupid or short sighted but it doesn't move votes. It can only reenforce

I hate to say it, but it seems true. Voters only react to energy events/trends on an emergent basis. No sense of proactivity at all.

Florida utilities line-up behind Voldemort.

http://news.yahoo.com/florida-power...-green-governor-crist-122411212--finance.html

Crist is a fool if he can't ride this to victory. And you don't even have to tout the green aspect at all (although it helps). Point out that Rick Scott doesn't want people to have the freedom of generating their own electricity and instead he strongly backs the big utility monopolies. And point out that Florida utilities are forcing the rate-payers to pay for the stupidity of the utilities such as nuclear plants that haven't generated electricity for years and never will operate again. Even if you ignore the green power stuff, Rick Scott's position is just plain corrupt and pro-monopoly.

But yeah . . . green power . . . this is Florida . . . the god-damn sunshine state. They are fucking crazy if they don't go big time solar PV. It works great to power all their air-conditioners and dehumidifiers.
Nobody is voting based on energy policy. Call them stupid or short sighted but it doesn't move votes. It can only reenforce

benjipwns

Banned
I couldn't agree with this more. Pundits and politicians in the US treat foreign policy like a game and it's a reason why bush's iraq was such a catastrophe.
They treat all of politics like a game.

Watch a days worth of ESPN punditry and a days worth of MSNBC/CNN/FOX punditry and find a difference other than the subjects.

Watch Committees on C-SPAN's channels and see how many show up with any actual interest in the subject or intent to learn and how many show up with something somebody prepared for them for the intent to "take on" whatever "special interest" is testifying.

Good point . . . well, not nobody. Weirdos like me vote on it. But it is not just energy policy . . . it is the point of Rick Scott restricting freedom to generate your own power. The Green Tea party movement has been an interesting coalition of Green people and Tea Party people because they both view Solar PV as a good thing . . . green for the Greenies and anti-monopoly & freedom for the Tea party folks. And it is anti-corruption/anti-monopoly . . . not just doing what the powerful monopoly utility wants.

So freedom, choice, anti-corruption, and anti-monopoly are all good things beyond the green energy aspect.

Wilsongt

Retro

Quite the understatement. Check out some interviews with Erol Morris. He was flabberghasted on how unrepentant Rumsfeld was.

Why should he be repentant? In his mind, he did absolutely nothing wrong (I would guess that he probably thinks we didn't do enough), which is the scariest fucking thing about Neoconservatives. In the same way I get a little queasy when I think about Sarah Palin, who's basically praying for the Apocalypse to start, was going to be one 70 year old man away from the presidency.

Claire McCaskill hinting that she might run for governor in the future

Can't wait for PD to predict her loss again

I wondered about that when I heard she was attending Michael Brown's funeral.

Hopefully MO can clean up their legislature first. They're treating Nixon like shit, and lord knows I'm not a fan of his but he's facing opposition similar to Obama and McAuffile.

I wondered about that when I heard she was attending Michael Brown's funeral.

Hopefully MO can clean up their legislature first. They're treating Nixon like shit, and lord knows I'm not a fan of his but he's facing opposition similar to Obama and McAuffile.
Unfortunately MO is probably a lot like AR, even if they can still elect a Dem governor (we'll see about Mike Ross) they'll give him a shitty legislature to work with so it won't make much of a difference

Chris Koster (Dem A-G) has also been putting together a campaign for 2016 so McCaskill would have to deal with him, frankly I'd rather she stay where she is, I never like this intraparty stuff

Good point . . . well, not nobody. Weirdos like me vote on it. But it is not just energy policy . . . it is the point of Rick Scott restricting freedom to generate your own power. The Green Tea party movement has been an interesting coalition of Green people and Tea Party people because they both view Solar PV as a good thing . . . green for the Greenies and anti-monopoly & freedom for the Tea party folks. And it is anti-corruption/anti-monopoly . . . not just doing what the powerful monopoly utility wants.

So freedom, choice, anti-corruption, and anti-monopoly are all good things beyond the green energy aspect.
I just don't think there are enough people thinking about that (people that would switch are dems already).
I'm currently watching the Unknown Known, and holy shit at Rumsfeld. The guy has no shame.
its really amazing. And its not the shame thing that gets me, its how frank he is. Its almost as if he knows he's not talking to morris but future historians.

I get that a lot with bush people. Its as if they know their current stock is in the toilet but want to preserve a record as a vindication some day.

I just don't think there are enough people thinking about that (people that would switch are dems already).

I agree that very few care about the energy policy stuff. However, if you can paint your competitor as being a corruption politician that take millions of dollars from a monopoly business which is fucking over people who have no other choice . . . I think that is pretty powerful.

I means we are talking about a guy at the head of the largest criminal medicare fraud in history . . . . oh wait, they voted for him despite that. :-( (Florida, wake the fuck up.)

benjipwns

Banned
Really Benji?

Is this what keeps you up at night? Seems like ridiculous hyperbole over some random bloggers on the internet with an opinion. I don't worry about them like I don't worry about you.
You want to start a street fight with me, bring it on, but you're going to be surprised by how ugly it gets. You don't even know my real name, I'm the fucking lizard king.

I have no idea what you're talking about or asking again.

You want to start a street fight with me, bring it on, but you're going to be surprised by how ugly it gets. You don't even know my real name, I'm the fucking lizard king.

I have no idea what you're talking about or asking again.

He's dead. Despite my teenage yearnings after reading "No One Here Gets Out Alive".

Alaskan ticket fusion (for governor) is a-go, approved by Alaska Democratic Party

The Democratic candidate for governor, Byron Mallott will give up his position on the ballot to run as Lt. Governor under Bill Walker, a Republican-turned-independent, who in turn will drop his affiliation with the GOP.

Should be good news for the Democrats. GOP Gov. Parnell isn't very popular, but probably not so much that he'd lose to a Democrat in a red state like Alaska. Walker is their best shot.

Inevitable Senate losses in 2014 will at least be offset by strong performances in the gubernatorial elections.

Alaskan ticket fusion (for governor) is a-go, approved by Alaska Democratic Party

The Democratic candidate for governor, Byron Mallott will give up his position on the ballot to run as Lt. Governor under Bill Walker, a Republican-turned-independent, who in turn will drop his affiliation with the GOP.

Should be good news for the Democrats. GOP Gov. Parnell isn't very popular, but probably not so much that he'd lose to a Democrat in a red state like Alaska. Walker is their best shot.

Inevitable Senate losses in 2014 will at least be offset by strong performances in the gubernatorial elections.
Whoa. Interesting. I don't know how to parse that.

But yeah, GOP governors seem to be a hot mess right now. Many of them are more worried about staying out of jail instead of winning office. And that can really hurt the GOP's future presidential nominee choices . . .

I'm thinking the Senate is a toss-up at this point. Lots of time for things to change though. I still think the Turtle is very vulnerable. Doesn't care about jobs, talked about shutting down the government, he doesn't support raising the minimum wage, Obamacare is popular in Kentucky (although they are all careful not to call it that), says he likes the Koch Brothers a lot, became a multi-millionaire while in the Senate, etc. I dunno, if Alison Lundergren-Grimes can win lots of the woman vote, she might pull it off.

Whoa. Interesting. I don't know how to parse that.

But yeah, GOP governors seem to be a hot mess right now. Many of them are more worried about staying out of jail instead of winning office. And that can really hurt the GOP's future presidential nominee choices . . .

I'm thinking the Senate is a toss-up at this point. Lots of time for things to change though. I still think the Turtle is very vulnerable. Doesn't care about jobs, talked about shutting down the government, he doesn't support raising the minimum wage, Obamacare is popular in Kentucky (although they are all careful not to call it that), says he likes the Koch Brothers a lot, became a multi-millionaire while in the Senate, etc. I dunno, if Alison Lundergren-Grimes can win lots of the woman vote, she might pull it off.
Man, if only this election was in like Indiana instead of Kentucky then I think Grimes would have the advantage here. I will hope against hope that she can pull it off, McConnell's approval ratings are still shit but the last time Grimes lead in a poll was in late June. She's still polling closer than Conway in 2010 or Lunsford in 2008 but close only counts in horseshoes.

I do see Senate control as more of a tossup right now, even though most of the media has taken it as a foregone conclusion that the Democrats will lose the majority. Landrieu, Begich, Pryor and Hagan have all been running extremely good campaigns. The only candidate I'm really worried about is Braley.

I also would love to see the third party candidates in Kansas and South Dakota gain traction, whether they win outright or take enough support from the Republicans to let the Democrats sneak by.

Edit: Screwing around on HuffPo Pollster. Goddamn is Louisiana close

GhaleonEB

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/02/u...on=Footer&module=MoreInSection&pgtype=article

A few days after Russian forces invaded Crimea, Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey was asked at a confidential meeting of Republican activists how he would have handled the situation differently from President Obama.

It was not, according to several of those in attendance, a tough or unexpected inquiry. But Mr. Christie, usually known for his oratorical sure-footedness, offered a wobbly reply, displaying little grasp of the facts and claiming that if he were in charge, Vladimir V. Putin, the Russian president, would know better than to mess with him.

According to an audio recording of the event, he said Mr. Putin had taken the measure of Mr. Obama. “I don’t believe, given who I am, that he would make the same judgment,” Mr. Christie said. “Let’s leave it at that.”

One attendee described Mr. Christie’s answer as disturbingly heavy on swagger and light on substance. Another called it “uncomfortable to watch.”

Diablos

So according to the Gallup Presidential poll tracker, Bush was at 39% at this point while Obama is at 41%. My memory must have been really foggy, I thought Dubya's was much lower.

I really hope Obama can at least get back up to high 40's/low 50's if nothing else... it's really a shame what is happening here.

I know he's basically a lame duck now, but this I think hurts the Democratic party as a whole, and could prove to be a drag even post midterm elections.

He's a troll.

Is there really any chance of Christie getting sunk by Bridgegate or other skeletons in his closet? Feeling like that ship has sailed.

Why should he be repentant? In his mind, he did absolutely nothing wrong (I would guess that he probably thinks we didn't do enough), which is the scariest fucking thing about Neoconservatives. In the same way I get a little queasy when I think about Sarah Palin, who's basically praying for the Apocalypse to start, was going to be one 70 year old man away from the presidency.

It's three parts long, but yes, that is mostly the case. He also walks all over Stewart. Later there was some doc about him, mentioning how he quibbles about language, phrasing and the like, and yerp, that's pretty much him. In his mind? Totes right.

Then there is this.

Is there really any chance of Christie getting sunk by Bridgegate or other skeletons in his closet? Feeling like that ship has sailed.
It hasn't exactly sunk him but it's certainly grounded him. And the way he's dealt with it is childish. I think he'd implode on a national stage.

Especially when he calls Hillary "toots" or something.

Chris R

Parnell will still win by a BUNCH. Expect Begich to be out as well. (51 R - 49 D senate split I bet)

Fuck this state sometimes. I bet Prop 2 to legalize recreational cannabis fails as well.

Crisco

Banned

Meanwhile, our actual President blows up yet another actual threat to US interests,

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/03/world/africa/us-airstrike-in-somalia-targets-shabab-leader.html

Somali and American officials said Tuesday that the leader of the Shabab, the Somali militant group that has allied itself with Al Qaeda and terrorized civilians in the region for years, may have been killed in an American airstrike.

This is why ISIS really doesn't concern me. We can kill basically anyone we want, anywhere we want, at any time. There's literally zero need for the sort escalation people are calling for in Iraq.

Wilsongt

People are beginning to notice how Republicans have clammed up about BENGHAZIBENGHAZIBENGHAZI the closer we get to midterms. Lol.

Just four months ago, the future chairman of the House Select Committee on Benghazi delighted core elements of the Republican base when he declared that the panel would be probing “what appears to be a White House cover-up.”

Rep. Trey Gowdy of South Carolina said he had secret evidence proving that President Obama’s administration had deliberately withheld key documents from lawmakers looking into the Sept. 11, 2012, attacks in the eastern Libyan city.

"I have evidence that not only are they hiding it, there’s an intent to hide it,” he told Fox News in May. “I can’t disclose that evidence yet, but I have evidence that there was a systematic, intentional decision to withhold certain documents from Congress, and we’re just sick of it.”

Now, with the 2014 midterm elections fast approaching and the panel’s first hearing slated for September, the former prosecutor from Spartanburg, S.C., is taking a more tempered, bipartisan tone. He has declared he wants to avoid a media “circus.” Other House Republicans are sending out similar signals, denying that their creation of the special panel was ever political in nature.

“You want to get on the news, go rob a bank,” Gowdy told ABC News in August, after saying that he meant “no disrespect to the media.”

“If you take the approach 'Are we doing this to learn more and better ourselves as a people? And be respectful of their sacrifice?' then you won’t let it become a circus,” he continued.

When the House voted in May to authorize the select committee, which could cost taxpayers up to $3.3 million to operate, the media attention such a panel was sure to draw was a huge part of the attraction for the Republicans who pushed for it. They wanted a channel to attack Obama and the Democrats in the lead-up to the midterm elections — so much so that House Democrats weren’t even sure they wanted to appoint representatives to the panel out of fear it would legitimize the GOP’s charged rhetoric on the issue.

But the politics of Benghazi have shifted. Domestically, the GOP appears poised to win back the Senate for the first time in nearly a decade, and internationally, the foreign policy picture has become much more complicated, with unrest in the Middle East growing dramatically since the last election.

The attacks on two American facilities in Benghazi left four Americans dead, including Ambassador Chris Stevens. In the nearly two years since, Republicans have held up the tragedy to argue that the Obama administration has failed to prosecute the war on terrorism, and accused the president of fighting tooth and nail to keep evidence of incompetence (or worse) from the public.
…

But a pair of reports from the House Armed Services Committee and the House Intelligence Committee – both of which are run by Republicans – has deflated many of the wildest allegations, with the intelligence panel publishing its findings in early August. In turn, these fact-finding operations have raised fresh questions about the purpose the special panel can serve.

Gowdy, in a written statement to Yahoo News, declined to say whether he would hold more public hearings than the first one, which is about a topic suggested by one of the committee’s reluctant Democratic participants.

“Public hearings are only one part of the work of this committee. The main work of an investigation involves much more outside the spotlight,” Gowdy said. “Depositions and witness interviews, both of which are not public, are more effective for gathering facts. The work of the committee will continue throughout the fall, whether it includes more public hearings or not.”

As American foreign-policy makers grapple with a new set of challenges across the Middle East, such as the rise of the brutal Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL, also known as ISIS), there seems to be more risk for the GOP in looking political in its investigation.

Accordingly, House Republicans have publicly and privately worked to shore up the bipartisan credibility of Gowdy’s investigation and banish all of what one Republican aide called the “circus” surrounding past GOP probes.

“The timing is not completely right on this. There’s other stuff happening. There is ISIS happening. The most important thing for Republicans is to be careful with this. This could blow up in their face,” said John Feehery, a former senior House Republican aide who is now president of QGA Communications.

Republicans hope to draw in independents and turn out their base in large numbers in November in their bid to defeat Democrats, who traditionally vote in smaller numbers in midterm elections. With the president’s popularity already at a low ebb and the public unfazed by relatively good economic news, the last thing Republicans should do, some strategists say, is alienate potentially sympathetic voters or energize disaffected Democrats with a fresh over-the-top hearing on the inflammatory topic of Benghazi.

“Things are going pretty well for Republicans,” Feehery explained. “Why screw it up? This is the time when you take the three [club] out but don’t take the driver out.”

Gowdy has said he does not believe the committee will finish its work before the midterms. In order for the panel to continue its work during the next Congress, the House would have to vote again to reauthorize it. Given its cost and current existential predicament, though, that vote might not be as easy in 2015 as it was in 2014.

That’s a long way from where Republicans were even in May, when Speaker John Boehner of Ohio finally relented to rank-and-file pressure to create the panel. Leadership had been reluctant to vote to form the committee. Now there may be no greater example of the shift in tone for Republicans on Benghazi than Gowdy himself, who was once one of the most outspoken advocates for going after the administration.

Where he once invoked secret evidence of a cover-up, the chairman has put the rhetorical fireworks away and decreed that the committee’s first formal hearing will focus on how well the State Department has implemented the 24 recommendations of the independent Accountability Review Board formed to investigate Benghazi.

Whether the GOP can stop the “circus” it now seems so intent on preventing remains an open question. One of the long-standing challenges this House conference has faced is keeping its conservative, flame-throwing rank-and-file membership in check. Just because Gowdy or Republicans involved have changed their tune does not mean others have — or have to.

Moreover, with millions of dollars allocated to the operation of the panel, there’s still the need for Gowdy to produce some final product, beyond what regular committees have done.

Democrat Adam Schiff of California, the member who came up with the idea for the first hearing, told Yahoo News that while there seems to be an air of bipartisanship to the select committee now, that could change if and when Gowdy takes heat over the effectiveness — or lack thereof —of the committee.

"The challenge will come down the road. I think there's going to be enormous pressure on the chairman to deliver something to justify the time, the expense of the select committee. Whether he can withstand that pressure, or wants to withstand that pressure, will determine how the committee is ultimately viewed," said Schiff.

When he was asked whether it was a good idea for Democrats to participate in this effort at all, Schiff’s answer was revealing: "I guess time will tell whether the committee is constructive and whether our participation on it helps it be productive, or whether it degenerates into a circus."

http://news.yahoo.com/republicans-tone-down-benghazi-talk-as-elections-near-042821732.html

Also, love how the article is predicting a Republican take over of the senate in the fall.

I, for one, welcome the even more stagnant running of our government ushered in by the 114th Congress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom