• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Banned
war.032.gif

I miss Get Your War On.

And it doesn't work with NeoGAF Dark Theme!

Someone was telling me the other day "Yeah, I know there's women and children over there, but the only way we're ever gonna stop these guys is if we just bomb the whole area until it's a parking lot."

I should have asked them if they were proposing a final solution to the Arab question, but I didn't think to say that until about a minute later. :(

lemme guess

teiresias

I feel like i have whiplash. One day all I see are "No strategy for ISIS" headlines, the next day I see, "We'll pursue them to gates of hell" and "We'll destroy them" headlines.

Crisco

Banned
con·text
ˈkänˌtekst
noun
the circumstances that form the setting for an event, statement, or idea, and in terms of which it can be fully understood and assessed.

He is too smart of a politician to do that. But he's allowed his father to be a proxy for him, so whether he has those beliefs or not, he's allowed them to be said on his behalf.

Rick Perry and Marco Rubio have both been publicly asked about their beliefs on evolution, I'm surprised no one has directly asked Cruz yet.

I can't see him ever denouncing his father's blatherings because that is a selling point for a lot of his base. But for other people, even if you don't assign the father's beliefs to Ted . . . well, the acorn doesn't fall far from the tree.

He did say his dad was his hero.

Washington (CNN) -- Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell holds a slim four-point edge over his Democratic challenger Alison Lundergan Grimes in a new CNN/ORC International Poll of one of the most closely watched Senate races of 2014.

McConnell's 4-point advantage, 50%-46%, falls within the survey's 4-point sampling error, furthering emphasizing how close this Kentucky contest remains 62 days before Election Day. The outcome of this election may help decide control of the Senate, influence President Barack Obama's final two years in office and determine the political fate of Kentucky's longest-serving senator.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/03/politics/cnn-poll-kentucky-senate-mcconnell-grimes/index.html

C'mon Kentucky ladies . . . step up.

Wilsongt

Elizabeth Warren puts words into the thoughts I had yesterday about Eric Cantor's new job.

"This is wrong," Warren said in regard to Cantor's new role as vice chairman and managing director at Moelis & Co. "People work in Washington and, man, they hit that revolving door with a speed that would blind you." She went on to claim that banks hire politicians like Cantor "not because they bring great expertise and insight, but because they’re selling access back into their former colleagues who are still writing policy."

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
The 23 states that have refused Medicaid expansion under Obamacare will be sending $152 billion in taxes paid over the next 10 years to states that did expand. That's from a McClatchy analysis of Urban Institute data. Among the states that will be really losing out, is North Carolina, which will shell out about $10 billion.

Taxpayer contributions, estimated at $10.2 billion from North Carolina and $3.1 billion from South Carolina, won’t change regardless of participation. But as things stand, only the 27 states (along with Washington, D.C.) that expanded Medicaid or created their own programs are sharing in the benefits. […]

Medicaid looms at the top of the agenda when the North Carolina legislature convenes in January. What’s unclear is whether Republican leaders will reconsider their refusal to accept the federal money.

This year, Senate leaders clashed with Gov. Pat McCrory and House leaders over plans to control medical costs and improve the state Medicaid system. None of them called for expanding Medicaid.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/...illions-to-insure-people-in-other-nbsp-states

This is a very specific bit of idiocy that I've been following really closely, as some of you might already know. It would have been one thing to refuse the medicaid expansion if that's all what would have been effected. But it's another to refuse the medicaid expansion when your citizens are already paying and will continue to pay taxes for it. You get all the costs but none of the benefits. Not exactly the most ingenious way to say "fuck you!" to Obama.

I always found it funny that Eric Cantor spent more money on Washington steakhouses in 2014 then Dave Brat spent on his entire campaign.

Wilsongt

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/...illions-to-insure-people-in-other-nbsp-states

This is a very specific bit of idiocy that I've been following really closely, as some of you might already know. It would have been one thing to refuse the medicaid expansion if that's all what would have been effected. But it's another to refuse the medicaid expansion when your citizens are already paying and will continue to pay taxes for it. You get all the costs but none of the benefits. Not exactly the most ingenious way to say "fuck you!" you Obama.

So, once again, states that hate federal money end up sending it to other states.

These states are run by idiots.

However, in the first event of a natural disaster or something, these governors are the first to quickly stick their hands out for federal assistance money. I know it would be a dick move, but in this case, Washington really should say no. Don't accept the money to help the citizens of your state during times without a crisis and you won't be getting any when you need it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I always found it funny that Eric Cantor spent more money on Washington steakhouses in 2014 then Dave Brat spent on his entire campaign.

If there's one thing Washington's got, it's good food. Sure they think pizza is toast with tomato sauce and cheese on it, but outside of that it's full of good eats.

Dem candidate for Senate in Kansas dropped out, could be a boost for Greg Orman who has said he'll caucus with the party that holds the majority.

Dem candidate for Senate in Kansas dropped out, could be a boost for Greg Orman who has said he'll caucus with the party that holds the majority.
it'shappening.gif

Great news for the Democrats, actually. Frankly I can't see Orman caucusing with the Republicans if he got into the seat by offing one of their own.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
He continued, “We’re taking these 500,000 people that would’ve had a job, and putting them unemployed, making dependence part of government programs, and destroying their opportunity for earned success. And so we see this is a very big part of recruitment in Germany in the '20s.”

“If you look at the Third -- the rise and fall of the Third Reich, you can see that,” Fink said. “And what happens is a fascist comes in and offers them an opportunity, finds the victim -- Jews or the West -- and offers them meaning for their life, OK?”

Fink cited the historical examples of Nazi Germany and communist Russia and China to segue to terrorism. “This is not just in Germany. It's in Russia, in Lenin, and Stalin Russia, and then Mao,” said Fink. “This is the recruitment ground for fascism, and it's not just historical. It's what goes on today in the -- in the suicide bomber recruitment.”

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/...raising-the-minimum-wage-is-like-Nazi-Germany

You know, we've had the minimum wage since the 1930s. How long is it supposed to take for us to round up the Jews? You wouldn't think there's that many.

Port Authority cops told not to reopen GWB access lanes during Fort Lee jam

Perhaps the most explosive anecdote was provided on behalf of Pisciotta, a 12-year officer who is typically one of the first to arrive at the bridge before the morning rush hour, according to the summary. Pisciotta’s attorney said his client, who had worked at the bridge for over five years, recognized early on that the closures were causing traffic safety problems and aired his concern over the radio on the second day, according to the summary.

Licorish “replied to Pisciotta by radio, telling him to ‘shut up’ and that there could be no further discussion of the lane closures over the air,” according to Pisciotta’s attorney.

Michaels and a police sergeant then “visited him in person at his post to tell him that his radio communication had been inappropriate,” the attorney said.

A second officer, Angela Tait, said she witnessed both exchanges, according to the summary.

State Sen. Loretta Weinberg, of Teaneck, who co-chairs the legislative panel, said the summaries indicate that “law enforcement was in on this whole thing.”

“It was bad enough that it was the Port Authority and people close to the governor, but now you’ve got the people who are responsible for keeping us safe,” she said. “Any time you have law enforcement involved in a political operation, that’s very troubling.”

HylianTom

Banned
So, once again, states that hate federal money end up sending it to other states.

These states are run by idiots.

However, in the first event of a natural disaster or something, these governors are the first to quickly stick their hands out for federal assistance money. I know it would be a dick move, but in this case, Washington really should say no. Don't accept the money to help the citizens of your state during times without a crisis and you won't be getting any when you need it.

Here in Louisiana, one of my favorite gems of hypocrisy comes from the crimson-red voting areas in the southern half of the state: "The federal govt is eeeeevil! ...but please - buy us new levees and subsidize our homeowners' insurance. We're doomed without that funding!"

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Meanwhile, Washington Post has dropped the Republicans chances of holding the senate from 86% all the way down to 52%, not even taking into account the kansas news. Why? Well because as they get closer to the election they put more weight on polling over fundamentals, and it turns out their fundamentals aren't working.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...g-in-democrats-direction-all-of-a-sudden-why/

[It's] not that races have narrowed, but that the model has begun weighting information differently -- mainly by (a) incorporating polling data (where possible) after the relevant primaries, and by (b) increasing the weight that polls have in the forecast. What this suggests is that in several states, Democrats are arguably 'out-performing' the fundamentals. This doesn't always translate into a high chance of the Democrat actually winning (see: Kentucky) but it does help the Democrats' overall chances of retaining a majority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom